Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 02-22-2013, 5:37 PM

Yeah but now I've "seen the light". An exemption would strengthen this law so much because it would clearly define what's not an "assault weapon" right now as written EVERYTHING is and its challengeable !!!!!
Old 02-22-2013, 5:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshine View Post
Yeah but now I've "seen the light". An exemption would strengthen this law so much because it would clearly define what's not an "assault weapon" right now as written EVERYTHING is and its challengeable !!!!!
Wait, are you suggesting that we should ask for an exception because it would make the law more clear and thus less challengable?

While I don't think that adding some exceptions would strengthen anything, why would you want to do that?

WTB: multiautomatic ghost gun with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Must include shoulder thing that goes up. Memberships/Affiliations: CERT, ARRL ARES, NRA Patron Member, HRC, CGN/CGSSA, Cal-FFL
Old 02-22-2013, 5:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaligaran View Post
Wait, are you suggesting that we should ask for an exception because it would make the law more clear and thus less challengable?

While I don't think that adding some exceptions would strengthen anything, why would you want to do that?

I think you need to start from the beginning of the thread. We've covered a lot of ground, and rehashed history of prior bans. etc.
Old 02-22-2013, 5:46 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by postal View Post
I think you need to start from the beginning of the thread. We've covered a lot of ground, and rehashed history of prior bans. etc.
I did, I was responding to the post just before mine. The one quoted in my post.
WTB: multiautomatic ghost gun with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Must include shoulder thing that goes up. Memberships/Affiliations: CERT, ARRL ARES, NRA Patron Member, HRC, CGN/CGSSA, Cal-FFL
Old 02-22-2013, 5:49 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
OK, instead of making this a flame war as obviously what I said appears to be offensive: educate me.

Obviously I don't get it, please spell things out so I get it. Instead of telling other gun owners to "F*** Off" and reducing your numbers why not educate them.
Please repeat after me: Anti gun forces want to take away ALL of your guns. One more time: Anti gun forces want to take away ALL of your guns.

...and will not stop until the job is done, ever. Anti gun forces have shown their hand in New York and California and it is now blindingly obvious that the goal is total civilian disarmament.

Every type of gun they ban makes it easier to ban the rest of them. When all of the semi-autos and pump actions are gone (current CA bills), high powered bolt action gun owners will not be strong enough to prevent their guns from being taken away.

This year is the end game for gun rights in California. If we lose in CA this year, gun rights in CA are pretty much done, hunters included.

At this point its "Not one inch". NO MORE!

Re: you registering your guns. Don't do it unless you want them taken away. One of the new bills eliminates "grandfathering", making rifles registered as Assault Weapons in the wake of the 1999 AWB subject to the CA 2013 Assault Weapon ban, so they will become illegal as well.

Tim

Last edited by timdps; 02-22-2013 at 5:54 PM..
Old 02-22-2013, 5:53 PM

No what I'm saying is that an exempt list would make the bill harder to challenge kinda like how some semi auto handguns are still legal with that list. Banning ALL semi autos is an easier court case for us isn't it?
Old 02-22-2013, 6:09 PM

Quote:
All I'm saying is that next time I see my buddies should I talk to them about calling Steinberg's office back and saying "we read the bill again and even with an exemption we wouldn't support it?" Or just forget about it because the calls are logged into some forgotten database to be ignored.
Call Steinberg and tell steinberg to SUPPORT and RESPECT the 2nd Amendment

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 02-22-2013, 6:11 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

None of us want to see a semi-auto ban but if you enjoy hunting (and I do very much) then you'll call or write to protect hunting rifles such as the Browning BAR long/short trac, the Benelli R-1, the Ruger 10/22, other rifles we all know are NOT "Assault Weapons"!

In case you haven't been keeping up with current events we just lost hunting Bear using dogs. Half the Bears in this state were taken with hounds. What makes you think other forms of hunting are not under attack? You might want to consider the issues a little more broadly. All shooters pay Pittman-Robertson Act money, otherwise known as the Wildlife Restoration Act, when they purchase guns and ammunition. You need to know who your friends are in this fight. As a hunter we need the sports shooter to help provide a wide base of users for range facilities, local gun stores and manufacturers. The elimination of Hunting will not be far behind the end of the general shooting sports.
Old 02-22-2013, 6:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brd_Hntr View Post
In case you haven't been keeping up with current events we just lost hunting Bear using dogs. Half the Bears in this state were taken with hounds.
I didnt know that.

I remember the bill, and opposed. I never did realize dogs were actually used that much for bear hunting. I always thought they were far more common for bird hunting....

Learn something new everyday......
Old 02-22-2013, 6:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoebox56 View Post
From the OP:

"....encourage them to make an exemption list of 'legitimate hunting rifles'."

I heard this term recently & seems to apply to the above statement:

" Today's exception becomes tomorrow's 'loop hole'."
THIS. 1000000X THIS!!! Why is this concept so difficult for people to wrap their heads around?

THEY WILL NOT BE HAPPY UNTIL ALL GUNS ARE GONE!

Call Steinberg and his ilk and tell them NO! Not with qualifiers, not with "unless you do this" or "I'd rather see this wording". The only word you need is NO.

When did I go from being a "citizen" to a "taxpayer"?

Jon Lovitz: ‘I can’t wait to go to a hospital run by the DMV!’

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
Dude went full CNN...
Peace, love, and heavy weapons. Sometimes you have to be insistent." - David Lee Roth
Old 02-22-2013, 6:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I didnt know that.

I remember the bill, and opposed. I never did realize dogs were actually used that much for bear hunting. I always thought they were far more common for bird hunting....

Learn something new everyday......
And you can bet your bottom dollar bird hunting is next on the block.

Quote:
Dude went full CNN...
Peace, love, and heavy weapons. Sometimes you have to be insistent." - David Lee Roth
Old 02-22-2013, 6:32 PM

Quote:
One positive step we can take is calling Darrell Steinberg's office and your Representative's office and encourage them to make an exemption list of "legitimate hunting rifles". Senator Steinberg is the senator in my district and his office said this is something in consideration. Suggest Feinstein's exemption list as a starting point.

None of us want to see a semi-auto ban but if you enjoy hunting (and I do very much) then you'll call or write to protect hunting rifles such as the Browning BAR long/short trac, the Benelli R-1, the Ruger 10/22, other rifles we all know are NOT "Assault Weapons"!

UPDATE: OK some folks explained why this is a bad idea. Because I do know hunters who are going down this road use this thread to post the RIGHT IDEA so I can at least explain to them why this is the wrong road.
So we should give FUDDs a reason to stab AR owners in the back? Hell no! Neal Knox advocated the "Nato Appproach" to gun control: an attack on one type of gun is an attack on all guns. This is the Neville Chamberlain "Peace in Our Time" approach.
"It is a ghastly but tenable proposition that the world is now ruled by the insane, whose increasing plurality will, in a few more generations, make probable the incarceration of all sane people born among them."--Clark Ashton Smith
"Every time a pro-terrorist Tranzi hangs, an angel gets his wings."--Tom Kratman
Old 02-22-2013, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Someone do me a favor and provide me the short version of this that Incan share next time another hunter talks to me about it. A version that doesn't include WW-II stories, bans in foreign countries, etc. something I can explain briefly to a hunter who is upset about his rifle being banned and who want to call to demand an exemption list, because a lot of people I know are doing this.
I don't think you can appreciate the stakes if you don't consider recent history, bans in foreign countries, etc. I believe the gun banners here are using the UK as their model. Did you see this story, the one where a home remodel in the UK found a false wall and a "huge arsenal" of thirty guns? http://metro.co.uk/2013/01/23/shocke...-wall-3364211/

If you see the picture in the article the "arsenal" consists of antique pistols, hunting rifles and shotguns. They were wrapped in newspaper from 1996, when a schoolyard shooting was the pretext for the final gun bans in the UK.

It seems terribly sad that the owner had no recourse but to wall up his arms. Maybe he hoped there would be a repeal and maybe there will be one but not in his lifetime.

It didn't happen overnight. It happened bit by bit. But this is our future unless we stand up for our rights, here and now. Give them nothing.
Old 02-22-2013, 6:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by njineermike View Post
And you can bet your bottom dollar bird hunting is next on the block.
And, as I said, I dont hunt... But I will oppose!!!!!

I think we've beat this thread to death...

We all must stand together. Looking out for each other, no matter what particular facet is of personal interest.

Simple enough.
Old 02-22-2013, 7:49 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

135 posts into this thread and I've yet to see a Zumbo reference. Moonshine, have you ever heard of Zumbo? He once thought that no one needed an AR15 for hunting. Now, he is nothing but a faint memory. He threw his career away when he said that.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Old 02-22-2013, 7:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Stop this divide and conquer nonsense—it is the language of defeat and makes defeat of all our rights a certainty.

"Gentlemen, we either hang together or we will surely hang separately"
-- Patrick Henry
Old 02-22-2013, 7:59 PM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
135 posts into this thread and I've yet to see a Zumbo reference. Moonshine, have you ever heard of Zumbo? He once thought that no one needed an AR15 for hunting. Now, he is nothing but a faint memory. He threw his career away when he said that.
You missed it. Post #22.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheezle56 View Post
Nope! Stand together or you can hang with this guy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Zumbo
Old 02-22-2013, 8:16 PM

Speaking of AR-15s and hunting I read an Article about how they were becomming quite popular for hunting. They've been chambered to popular hunting cartridges like .270, .243, and .308
Old 02-22-2013, 8:29 PM

Quote:
One positive step we can take is calling Darrell Steinberg's office and your Representative's office and encourage them to make an exemption list of "legitimate hunting rifles". Senator Steinberg is the senator in my district and his office said this is something in consideration. Suggest Feinstein's exemption list as a starting point.

UPDATE: OK some folks explained why this is a bad idea. Because I do know hunters who are going down this road use this thread to post the RIGHT IDEA so I can at least explain to them why this is the wrong road.

It won't stop at your doorstep.
Quit running and take a stand, while there is still strength in numbers.

NRA,SAF,CGF
CCRKBA
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance" - Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by rimfire78; 02-22-2013 at 9:17 PM..
Old 02-22-2013, 8:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Speaking of AR-15s and hunting I read an Article about how they were becomming quite popular for hunting. They've been chambered to popular hunting cartridges like .270, .243, and .308
Yep, and you can load some others like the .300BLK to roughly match the old .30-30 winchester. Or go the other way to the .450 bushmaster and and .50 beowulf to get performance similar to old school .45-70 rounds
Old 02-22-2013, 9:14 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
All I'm saying is that next time I see my buddies should I talk to them about calling Steinberg's office back and saying "we read the bill again and even with an exemption we wouldn't support it?"
This one.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 02-22-2013, 9:22 PM

Quote:
+10,000 on throwing hunters under the bus. First thing that happened when I posted was not "here's why your idea isn't good" it was flames. Really inspirational... If you wanna bring hunters and competition guys into the fold be polite and explain with reason.
Im a competition shooter with my AR-15 which will be banned, so its not lumped in with the hunting rifles.

We can not bend. Today its "Assault Rifles" (god how i hate that false term) then it goes to 12 gauge shotguns being "destructive devices" and we will lose them. Then Hunting rifles will be considered "Sniper Rifles"... heck, they already call them sniper rifles in the media.

If they divide us they will win. We all have to stand strong and make our voices heard. I refuse to accept that there are "bad guns" and "good guns" All guns are very capable of killing if in the wrong hands... doesn't matter if its a .22 or a .50bmg, they want to disarm us. They are drunk on absolute power and the only chance we have is for us to stand arm and arm together and tell them not this time nor any time.
Old 02-22-2013, 9:26 PM
Veteran Member

2nd amendment has nothing to do with deer hunting.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:05 PM

I guess you just do not get it. WE MUST ALL HANG TOGETHER OR WE WILL ALL HANG SEPARATELY.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3GunFunShooter View Post
Sorry, no way. They will eventually come for your bolt action long range sniper (hunting) rifle.
Man, there's NOTHING more dangerous than a "long range sniper rifle"!
Old 02-22-2013, 11:29 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Agree with bold.

Disagree with underlined. I dont want ANY LAW ABIDING gun owner to lose ANY MORE RIGHTS.

We all need to stand together and take back lost ground.

Long hard road possibly. But as I say, this bill as written will be doing ALL OF US a huge favor in the end...
Maybe you do not, but if you read the thread where the hound hunters were asking for support from us, you should remember that many here were positively gleeful about their misfortune. There is also a lot of vitriol directed at Cowboy Shooters.

I agree.

Maybe; but only if Obama does not have a chance to change the good SCOTUS justices.

I don't own an AR or AK, but I refuse to be cut from the herd and abandon those that do. I am not a Cowboy Action Shooter or a hound hunter either, but I fought for the hound hunters, and I certainly would not support making the Colt Single Action Army subject to the rules of the roster; even though it is probably one of the most dangerous handguns ever produced if not handled and loaded properly. I mean even the cap and ball Colts had a notch between the chambers! What's up with that Sam?

Folks like you and I need to get these other folks to stop the squabbling and tit-for-tat thinking. It's like a married couple arguing over who screwed whom first.
To keep it you must give it

"I will talk with you no more.
I will go now, and fight you."
(Red Cloud)
Old 02-23-2013, 12:10 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aklover_91 View Post
It's not that we're willing to throw anyone under the bus, it's that this is the sort of thing anti's cook up to divide and conquer.

The fact that there we term clique 'fudds' and 'mall ninjas' in the community is evidence of it.

Historically, EBR guys lose out because there are a whole lot of 'hunters' and 'sportsman' who support the second amendment right to hunt bambi or clays, but don't care about any guns but the guns they use to do that. Just about every big anti gunner I've ever heard of purports to be in that camp.

If you get an exemption to 'hunting' guns codified in law it takes away the incentive for the entire shooting community to get involved.

As has been mentioned this was demonstrated super well with the exemptions the Cowboy Action guys got in exchange for supporting the roster.

If we want to beat back legislation like this we need to present a unified front, cliquey BS needs to take a back seat.
You are not one of the dividers, but there are plenty on here. The underwhelming support the hound hunters got from most of our number testifies to that. Can we open a new chapter with this? Can we reach out to the guys who shoot M-1A's in matches, and the guys that hunt with Winchester M-100's and Browning BAR's, And Cowboy Shooters with 'high capacity' lever action 32-20's & 44-40's, and the plinkers who could be paying five bucks a box for .22RF; without being overtly abrasive with our; "We told you so"; comments, or having a neener-neener-neener, attitude. WE need to be reaching out right now, to all the other shooters, of whatever stripe. I wish the NRA would do a better job of this, but that is a whole nother thread.

(Red Cloud)
Old 02-23-2013, 12:20 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by njineermike View Post
How long before you start seeing news articles about people "manufacturing untraceable military style ammunition"?
You are of course correct. But the idea of untraceable hand loaded ammo is ludicrous. Loading tools leave more tool marks than guns!

(Red Cloud)
Old 02-23-2013, 12:37 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
So are we basically screwed now? I know of at least a few people who called and said they didn't support the bill and wanted exemptions... And I'm aware of people in other counties because it was talked about among a few guys I know who aren't active on this or other boards... Will Steingberg be like "wow these guys are awesome" and amend or is amendment more of a backroom deal process?
The amendments are for politicians; so they don't get blind sided by a bizillion voters that wake up one day and find they have been screwed while they were asleep. If they can exempt one thing that will cut a million voters out of the backlash they will do it. Predators cut the young and the old and the weak from the herd. They want the smallest risk for the most gain. By working with them you only school them on what they can get away with this time. Once they get away with that they will be back for the next weakest group.

(Red Cloud)
Old 02-23-2013, 12:56 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimfire78 View Post
It won't stop at your doorstep.
Quit running and take a stand, while there is still strength in numbers.
This is the best quote of the thread, so far!

(Red Cloud)
Old 02-23-2013, 6:46 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I think this little slice of Americana sums up the hunting rifles vs. other rifles argument nicely.

"We must hang together, gentlemen...else, we shall most assuredly hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

Not one inch.

NRA Benefactor Member
NRA Golden Eagle
SAF Life Member
CGN Contributor
Old 02-23-2013, 7:03 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

It's time the hunting community stop getting a free ride from the 2nd Amendment community and pony up to protect all of our rights.

I think it's atrocious that so many hunters are not members of the NRA.

Put your money where your mouth is.

NRA Life Member (Benefactor level)

"Those who give up some of their liberty in order to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty, nor safety." B. Franklin
Calguns Community Chapters (C3) in Your Community
Calguns Community Chapters (C3) and Appleseed Event Calendar

The 2nd Amendment is not about hunting or competition shooting. It's all about your inalienable rights to life and liberty.
Old 02-23-2013, 7:22 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Moony,

On the list of many things you do not get. The last batch of laws were passed before Heller and MacDonald. California is no longer hides under the veil of a Collective 2nd Amendment, we have Individual Rights and it is not just for Hunting and Sport, as the President likes to espouse.

Let them go for the Gold, no exemptions from the Vichy Government. SCOTUS will hash this out, once and for all.
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez

Last edited by Californio; 02-23-2013 at 9:29 AM..
Old 02-23-2013, 7:39 AM
I need a LIFE!!

What needs to happen is for gun owners to realize that politicians are NOT dumb, idiotic or uneducated. REGARDLESS of how strange the wording in a bill may appear.

They write things for a reason. Some of those reasons are to fish the public on what will or won't be acceptable to the constituency. It allows for public comment, committee and general acceptability of the public in general.

All of this allows for fine tuning of a bill to promote maximum effect to pass.

Dividing hunters from everyone else HAS worked in the past. NO LONGER! Steinbergs mistake here will be to thinking people still rely on "a bolt action rifle" to hunt with. He is waaaay behind the times now! There are many semi auto big game hunters now and in the duck hunting world, the new semi auto shotguns actually rule the duck blinds.

This is akin to relying on people who still read the newspaper as a primary news source and not realizing that cable news and the internet has taken over.
Old 02-23-2013, 7:45 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meplat View Post
You are of course correct. But the idea of untraceable hand loaded ammo is ludicrous. Loading tools leave more tool marks than guns!

Yes, but we live in the real world, where facts dominate. Our opposition lives in a fantasy land where the most benign object has it's own central nervous system and can suddenly spring to life and begin killing baby seals and leprechauns if it's not removed from society.

Quote:
Dude went full CNN...
Old 02-23-2013, 8:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDay View Post
You cannot buy an assault rifle in California as it is right now. Assault rifles require an NFA tax stamp to purchase since they are full auto capable.
while this is true...legislators are re-defining the "Assault" rifle for political reasons and posturing.

i'd wager most of them don't know which way to point a firearm when shooting it.

i am a legend in my own mind...

we are told not to judge muslims by what a few do...yet, the NRA membership and firearms owners are ALL considered as radical...

"The second amendment ain't about your deer rifle..."
Old 02-23-2013, 8:57 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ll-Rafael-ll View Post
It's all or nothing man.
Yep, they are ALL hunting rifles and pistols. Also, hunting is not mentioned in the 2A nor was it about hunting.
Old 02-23-2013, 8:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meplat View Post
There you go, using logic again. THis is California: Logic is a Hate Crime against all of the cognitively-challenged that make up the electorate and the General Assembly!
"It is a ghastly but tenable proposition that the world is now ruled by the insane, whose increasing plurality will, in a few more generations, make probable the incarceration of all sane people born among them."--Clark Ashton Smith
"Every time a pro-terrorist Tranzi hangs, an angel gets his wings."--Tom Kratman
Old 02-23-2013, 9:06 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntercf View Post
Yep, they are ALL hunting rifles and pistols. Also, hunting is not mentioned in the 2A nor was it about hunting.
Isn't this a contradiction? "They are all hunting rifles"

"hunting is not mentioned in the 2A nor was it about hunting"

First and foremost NOTHING is actually mentioned specifically in the 2A in regards to use of firearms.

All legal uses of firearms would then be INCLUDED in the core right. INCLUDING HUNTING! Subsistence living is also about survival if and when needed.
Old 02-23-2013, 9:13 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperxz View Post
Isn't this a contradiction? "They are all hunting rifles"

"hunting is not mentioned in the 2A nor was it about hunting"

First and foremost NOTHING is actually mentioned specifically in the 2A in regards to use of firearms.

All legal uses of firearms would then be INCLUDED in the core right. INCLUDING HUNTING! Subsistence living is also about survival if and when needed.
No contradiction, I was trying to point out to the OP that if you are looking for an exemption for "hunting" rifles then they need to ask all firearms to be exempted which is kind of silly to ask since the 2A wasn't about hunting. We need to be telling them (not asking) that what they are doing is a violation of the 2A and telling them to vote "NO" on anything that infringes on our constitutional rights.