Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > San Diego Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2013, 5:10 PM
Veteran Member

Default How to get a CCW in SD

So after hearing about the movie theater shooting in San Marcos and Carmel Valley. I've been considering getting a CCW, only prob is that our Sheriff Gore doesn't like to give them out.

This really bugs me because I saw a movie there less than a month ago.
Old 01-12-2013, 5:12 PM
Veteran Member

yea I would like a CCW in SD too but sadly we have a better chance of finding a unicorn next to a pot of gold ......
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. Jefferson's "Commonplace Book," 1774_1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764
Old 01-12-2013, 5:16 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillincody View Post
yea I would like a CCW in SD too but sadly we have a better chance of finding a unicorn next to a pot of gold ......
We need to elect a new Sheriff, Gore isn't representative of the people. He's pro gov and authoritarian. I mean now there's shootings locally at the theaters in our County, I should be able to protect myself and anybody else.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/...movie-theater/

http://fox5sandiego.com/2013/01/12/o...ar-san-marcos/

Last edited by Tacit Blue; 01-12-2013 at 5:19 PM..
Old 01-12-2013, 5:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Sheriff "Ruby Ridge" Gore will never issue CCW for general self protection unless we prevail in courts and he is forced to or he is replaced with a CCW friendly Sheriff.

He betrays his oath daily endangering everyone in San Diego County by allowing criminals to know that law abiding citizens are disarmed and easy targets.

He is infringing upon our second amendment rights to bear arms.

I don't know how such people sleep at night.

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 01-12-2013, 5:23 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CessnaDriver View Post
Sheriff "Ruby Ridge" Gore will never issue CCW for general self protection unless we prevail in courts and he is forced to or he is replaced with a CCW friendly Sheriff.

He betrays his oath daily endangering everyone in San Diego County by allowing criminals to know that law abiding citizens are disarmed and easy targets.

He is infringing upon our second amendment rights to bear arms.

I don't know how such people sleep at night.
Yeah I know his history behind Rubby Ridge. If San Diego wasn't pro military and government, I don't think he would have stood a real chance for election.

I really don't see how any true patriot would vote for than man, all he boasts about is his experience in the FBI. Which of course we all know is tainted. I think he only has a year left in office till the next candidate comes along...

Last edited by Tacit Blue; 01-12-2013 at 5:30 PM..
Old 02-05-2013, 2:33 PM

Folks,

I'm afraid that we are never going to see a "liberal" CCW Sheriff in this town. It has never been friendly to carry laws here. I have several friends who are former law enforcement and current and their take is it will not happen.

I hate to say it, but if you aren't in their club now it's too late to get in.
Old 02-08-2013, 4:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacit Blue View Post
We need to elect a new Sheriff
Fixed it for you.

Gore was never elected. Kolender was propped up one last time to run as an incumbent even though he was suffering from severe dementia explicitly so as soon as he "won", he could step down and hand the office to the Hero of Ruby Ridge without said Hero having had to face any public scrutiny.

San Diego FFLs | San Diego ranges
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. --Thomas Jefferson
** I had my San Diego County CCW... you can, too!
Old 02-13-2013, 11:21 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Tacit Blue CCW,

Go down there and apply as a good citizen. You may lose your money but then you may be 1st in line in 2-3 months if pending law suits are settled. An ancillary benefit is that you will feel good about yourself.

Marcus
Old 02-23-2013, 6:48 PM

I'll probably have a better chance getting a date with Kim Kay.
Old 02-24-2013, 4:31 PM

IIRC the Calguns foundation has a strategic plan of attack state wide on this county by county getting decisions to reference in circuit court. I believe SD is unfortunately at about the bottom of the list as our county is about the worst and will take some of the most resources to fight. (I could be wrong, been a while since I looked at the info...)

Might be faster for the to sign up as a Montana Reserve Auxiliary Deputy when that legislation goes through..... (which will still be a while, google CCW for all)
Old 03-03-2013, 9:59 PM

So far the people I have met who actually have a CCW are the ones who handle tons of money and are in a very high position. Example director of a bank, owner of a jewelry store, etc etc.

I have only heard of others getting them because they were brutally attacked or have been getting death threats on the regular or some other crazy stuff. Sad this is I cannot verify this. The above answer I can.
Old 03-05-2013, 6:56 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by specOPS View Post
So far the people I have met who actually have a CCW are the ones who handle tons of money and are in a very high position. Example director of a bank, owner of a jewelry store, etc etc.
If some of that tons of money were to be directed the proper way I doubt it would hurt...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRydden224
I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliff View Post
A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:01 AM

I was told to get shot or stabbed, survive, file a police report and stress that I fear my life is in danger then reapply...rinse and repeat.

You can always go to Mission Valley to watch a movie since they have 1 security guard armed with a revolver....lmao.
Old 03-07-2013, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymergist View Post
IIRC the Calguns foundation has a strategic plan of attack state wide on this county by county getting decisions to reference in circuit court. I believe SD is unfortunately at about the bottom of the list as our county is about the worst and will take some of the most resources to fight. (I could be wrong, been a while since I looked at the info...)

Might be faster for the to sign up as a Montana Reserve Auxiliary Deputy when that legislation goes through..... (which will still be a while, google CCW for all)
I looked at that website and it didn't look like there was anything going on in the last year or so. It would be interesting but is there any movement on that?
Old 03-07-2013, 3:39 PM

Legislation is not a quick process. If you sign up for notifications they will let you know. Last I heard I think they were revising the 2nd draft for submission.

www.shop42A.com
Old 03-07-2013, 5:41 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Legislation is not a quick process. If you sign up for notifications they will let you know. Last I heard I think they were revising the 2nd draft for submission.
There is no legislation that could possibly make a difference that will ever reach a floor vote in Sacramento. Worrying about legislation is an enormous waste of time and resources. The only way we'll get better carry in CA is through the courts. Want to see that happen? Support Second Amendment Foundation. Want to waste your time? Send letters to rabidly anti-gun Democrats pleading with or threatening them. Maybe they'll rupture something while laughing at you.

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. --Thomas Jefferson
Old 03-07-2013, 6:13 PM

It's not in Sacramento! Proposed Montana legislation would create an reserve auxiliary LE position not requiring residency that allows firearms qualification. LEOSA provides 50 state carry......
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=238977

No guarantee, and it is an end run around (BS) laws, but I support the idea. It would also require regular range recertification which I am not sure if CA CCW permits do.

www.shop42A.com
Old 03-08-2013, 9:48 AM

Yea it a good idea but one that will come under fire if it ever gets out there. I would sure like to see it, and range qualification for CCW permits makes a lot of sense.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:39 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
It's not in Sacramento! Proposed Montana legislation would create an reserve auxiliary LE position not requiring residency that allows firearms qualification. LEOSA provides 50 state carry......
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=238977

No guarantee, and it is an end run around (BS) laws, but I support the idea. It would also require regular range recertification which I am not sure if CA CCW permits do.
Ahh, I'd heard of an idea like that years ago. I would certainly want to get on board... but you can bet Congress will go positively ballistic. A bill to "fix the loophole" will quickly be introduced, and I imagine the pressure from every LE agency and union in the nation would be intense. I just couldn't imagine anything like that standing for very long. Heck, lots of big liberal cities might just pass down a policy... anyone caught carrying on those creds will be arrested. Sure, maybe the courts will come back later and smack them, but so long as no individual pays any real penalty, who cares?

Old 03-15-2013, 5:47 PM
Banned

I have a friend who's getting a ccw later this month but he has a legit reason to carry, he's a retired federal LEO

so bc you saw a movie at a movie theater, you think you should get a ccw? uh ok.
Old 03-15-2013, 6:06 PM

So you are saying that a Citizen wanting self defense is not a legit reason?

www.shop42A.com
Old 03-15-2013, 7:13 PM
Banned

according to the San Diego County Sheriff's Dept, a legit reason would be a documented history of threats against a citizen. otherwise, no, the average joe blow doesn't need to carry a weapon "just because"
Old 03-15-2013, 7:16 PM

Thank you for clarifying your position on the right to keep and bear arms. Not quite sure why you are here with those feelings though....

www.shop42A.com
Old 03-15-2013, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson_DKMG View Post
I have a friend who's getting a ccw later this month but he has a legit reason to carry, he's a retired federal LEO

so bc you saw a movie at a movie theater, you think you should get a ccw? uh ok.
Yes. Do you think anyone shot at those theaters was threatened first? Do you think anyone at the theater in Colorado was threatened first? How about any of the teachers shot at the elementary school?

Quote:
according to the San Diego County Sheriff's Dept, a legit reason would be a documented history of threats against a citizen. otherwise, no, the average joe blow doesn't need to carry a weapon "just because"
The San Diego Sheriff is wrong. Self defense is the best reason that a person could have for wanting a LTC concealed. If a person does not feel safe in their own neighborhood, we as a community owe it to them to help them feel safe. Allowing only the criminals for have weapons is not the solution.
Old 03-15-2013, 7:56 PM
Banned

criminals aren't "allowed" to carry, they do what they want. We have the police for protection, no some gung ho Internet crusader hot shot. Besides, if you don't like it here, move to AZ.
Old 03-15-2013, 9:04 PM

Quote:
criminals aren't "allowed" to carry, they do what they want. We have the police for protection, no some gung ho Internet crusader hot shot. Besides, if you don't like it here, move to AZ.
Poor guy, you are so misled. You don't even realize that you're arguing for my point of view. You're absolutely correct that criminals do what they want, regardless of the laws in place. So if law abiding are not allowed to carry firearms, and criminals do carry because "they do what they want", doesn't it make sense we should be able to protect ourselves?

It is our responsibility as citizens to protect ourselves. The police can't be everywhere, we (as a community) are everywhere.

I'm not to to whom you're referring to as a gung ho internet crusader hot shot. I'm going to assume that it wasn't me.

Instead of leaving the place I love and call home, I'm going to try to fix it. I hope that I won't have to move, but if we (as a community) continue to allow our rights and freedoms to be taken, then I likely will move to another state.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

It's not a bill of needs. It's a bill of rights.

"...the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

Sheriff Gore is infringing on our rights.

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 03-15-2013, 10:59 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

According to the US Supreme Court decision in Warren v. District of Columbia in 1981, the police do not have the duty to provide protection and services to individuals except under specific assignments.

This was reaffirmed in 2005 Castle Rock v. Gonzales, stating "police did not have a constitutional duty to protect a person from harm."
Old 03-16-2013, 12:30 AM
Banned

well I don't want some keyboard commando carrying a gun just because they want "protection."
Old 03-16-2013, 2:14 AM

Quote:
well I don't want some keyboard commando carrying a gun just because they want "protection."
I do. That's exactly the reason I want every law abiding citizen to be able to carry one, even a keyboard commando like you.
Old 03-17-2013, 6:59 PM

The right to carry a fire arm concealed is an idea I have had for a while, I have a wife and young boy who I would lay my life down in one second for( without a second thought). I think that San Diego has an obligation to its citizens to allow to decide if a responsible human being should be able to carry a firearm to protect life and property. I have applied and have been silently denied. I believe it should be a decision made by the people by the people not politicians!
Old 03-17-2013, 7:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Do people get to drive that watch NASCAR?

You realize that concealed carry pre-dates "keyboard commandos" right?
It's not something new. It's not some amazing new thing. It existed before the internet.

You also realize that to get a CCW for general self protection will require training, education on laws and demonstration of abilities right?

Old 03-18-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:

Maybe I'm missing something but just because he is a retired officer why is that a better justification than someone wanting to protect themselves. In fact, why is that a justification at all?
Old 03-18-2013, 4:00 PM
Calguns Addict

Old 03-21-2013, 5:58 PM

Quote:
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away. No disrespect to LEO, but they are not everywhere.

By the way, nice iTrader rating!
Old 03-24-2013, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightmd View Post
Maybe I'm missing something but just because he is a retired officer why is that a better justification than someone wanting to protect themselves. In fact, why is that a justification at all?
I believe the logic is something along the lines of they could be targeted for retribution for being a former/retired LEO.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I thought this screen name looked familiar.....

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=685367
Old 04-01-2013, 12:23 PM

i never understood the appeal of trolling... oh wait, guess it's cause i have a job.
Old 04-24-2013, 3:40 PM
Veteran Member

@vflores915- Great choice in shotgun. Big fan of the 500.

I wish we could get a new sheriff that is more lenient with CCW permits. Is there a way a person could get it done say in San Bernardino county while residing in SD county? Just curious because I was wanting to get my permit when i turned 21 (not that far away) but when I did some research and found out San Diego only gives it out to the people with connections and been threatened constantly (reported to authorities). That is when I gave up my research because I knew I would be rejected.

"Yo buddy, you still alive?" -Larry "Pixy" Foulke

Quote:
Originally Posted by FremontJames View Post
XenosAce, San Diego's finest drunk wrasslin' tranny 'snatchin security guard.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK LION View Post
I was told to get shot or stabbed, survive, file a police report and stress that I fear my life is in danger then reapply...rinse and repeat.

You can always go to Mission Valley to watch a movie since they have 1 security guard armed with a revolver....lmao.
Really? Because that's actually happened to me. I was shot in Oakland, CA in 2006. Police report filed and even though I live in S.D. now I still feel a CCW would be warranted give the amount of dumbfuggery we live amongst today.

One CA CCW holder I spoke with said it was easier than one would expect. His only reason was that "he owns a business that requires the added security" but he says he only uses so he can ride his motorbike to the range. Go figure :\