Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Non-California Permits/Licenses
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Non-California Permits/Licenses For out of State License/Permit discussion

Old 01-28-2017, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA15 View Post
Can I please get the website and info from you. Also, did you do a live Scan or finger prints with SBSD?

Link to online class is in post #31. They mail you a packet with the fingerprint cards.

Walked into our local San Diego Sherriffs satellite office and they rolled them for free. In n out in 30 minutes without an appt.

The officer who did my prints admitted his wife also has an out of state CCW.

The one piece of advice he gave me was "If you're not willing to look someone in the face and turn their head to taco meat don't carry a gun"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-28-2017, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***** View Post
Link to online class is in post #31. They mail you a packet with the fingerprint cards.

Walked into our local San Diego Sherriffs satellite office and they rolled them for free. In n out in 30 minutes without an appt.

The officer who did my prints admitted his wife also has an out of state CCW.

The one piece of advice he gave me was "If you're not willing to look someone in the face and turn their head to taco meat don't carry a gun"

Thank you!
Old 01-28-2017, 6:34 PM
Señor Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Thank you!
That class is for the VA permit.
AZ does not accept any online certs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 01-28-2017, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post

It does. I have one. It's that easy. Go to the website choose a state.

Old 01-29-2017, 8:26 AM

Quote:
Quote:
It does. I have one. It's that easy. Go to the website choose a state.

So conflicting information I would prefer to do it online but don't want to waste my time for Arizona?
Old 01-29-2017, 11:57 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
So conflicting information I would prefer to do it online but don't want to waste my time for Arizona?
You are talking about taking on the responsibility of carrying a firearm for self defense and you are splitting hairs over whether or not you can satisfy the training requirements without getting off your sofa?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
Here is the complete list of what qualifies as proof of training with AZ (with my notes in blue):

-Completion of any firearms training course approved by the Department of Public Safety;
(most non-AZ residents probably don't have this)
-Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Arizona Game and Fish Department or a similar agency of another state;
(a CA hunting license definitely works, a CA hunter ed certificate probably works)
-Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;
(any NRA course)
-Completion of any firearms training course conducted by a Department of Public Safety-approved or National Rifle Association-certified instructor;
(any firearms course taught by an NRA-certified instructor)
-Evidence of current military service or proof of honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions from the United States Armed Forces;
(Active, reserve, or honorable discharge military service)
-A valid current or expired concealed weapon, firearm or handgun permit or license issued by another state or a political subdivision of another state that has a training or testing requirement for initial issuance;
(a valid CCW from CA, UT, FL, or any other state that requires proof of training, would work for this.)
-Completion of any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualification to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties.
(P.O.S.T. certification)

So after reviewing that list, you'll notice there is absolutely ZERO reason for anyone to ever take an "Arizona CCW class". Most people already have 3 or 4 different things from that list that they could use for their proof of training. In the rare event that you don't have any of those things, then a CA hunter ed course or any firearm course by a local NRA-certified instructor is all you need - it does NOT need to be specifically an AZ CCW course, so don't waste your money on one.

Also note, AZ specifically does not allow any online training certificates for their proof of competency. So, go outside, get some fresh air, meet some new people, and join a normal class with a human instructor, ya lazy antisocial bums
What ***** says is true in a roundabout way.
The class he posted qualifies for VA.
Once you have the VA permit, a photocopy of that permit can be used for AZ.

Quote:
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.

Last edited by Cokebottle; 01-29-2017 at 12:02 PM..
Old 01-29-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
You are talking about taking on the responsibility of carrying a firearm for self defense and you are splitting hairs over whether or not you can satisfy the training requirements without getting off your sofa?

What ***** says is true in a roundabout way.
The class he posted qualifies for VA.
Once you have the VA permit, a photocopy of that permit can be used for AZ.
Thanks Cokebottle, I found a cert that will work with what you posted.

I appreciate the information you posted.
Old 01-31-2017, 1:01 PM

Quote:

Good news, I just found a copy of my current San Bernardino CCW I had to turn in a few month ago after moving out of Chino, and it is valid till October. So looks like I found a way to do it from my sofa LOL. But seriously, thank you for the help Cokebottle.
Old 01-31-2017, 5:42 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Good news, I just found a copy of my current San Bernardino CCW I had to turn in a few month ago after moving out of Chino, and it is valid till October. So looks like I found a way to do it from my sofa LOL. But seriously, thank you for the help Cokebottle.
Now go get some training anyways

Seriously... a good defensive handgun class is fun and an eye opener if you don't shoot IDPA.

Quote:
Old 02-03-2017, 2:50 PM

I have ccw in Sacramento, easy to get AZ, so I did.
Old 02-14-2017, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post
I got the AZ non resident permit recently, I went through a 2 hour class in a hotel banquet room and I have to tell you it was well worth the $80 they charged me. Proper way to fill out the application, they fingerprinted me, provided me with a cert and really clear instructions on how to send it in.

You can do it on your own online as ***** said, but you'll still need to send to AZ for the application and fingerprint cards.... you might save a few bucks but to me it was easier to just take the class.

I hope the national recip goes through and all my CA ccw efforts are wasted, but if not then I have between the two most of the USA covered and where it isn't OR, WA, CO etc... well they allow open carry so being the most of my traveling is on the motorcycle it's not too difficult to strap on the leg rig for riding.

So yeah, I vote Arizona.
Hi,

I'm in LA and was going to take UT CCW class at LAX Firing range. Its $155 for early online registration
and $175 on the day of class.
Its a 4 or 5 hours class.
With 2x10 round mags through a center mass at 7 yards.

All this to qualify.

What's the name of the place you went to?
Old 02-14-2017, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFOD View Post
Hi,

I'm in LA and was going to take UT CCW class at LAX Firing range. Its $155 for early online registration
and $175 on the day of class.
Its a 4 or 5 hours class.
With 2x10 round mags through a center mass at 7 yards.

All this to qualify.

What's the name of the place you went to?
I read through the thread and got the necessary info.
Old 02-21-2017, 3:29 PM

I didn't see anyone mention New Hampsire yet, so I figured I'd throw it out there. It's $100, all you do is mail in an application. No training/testing or fingerprints needed. I got my 5 year CCW permit about a month later in the mail.

Now, on their application you download here, it says you need to enter your CCW for the state where you currently reside. However, the NH supreme court ruled on 10/25/16 that that requirement was invalid. They state that on the page I just linked to. So on my application I skipped that part and had no problem.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:13 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Default What state has the best Non-Resident CCW for National Reciprocity carry *within* CA?

NM can be obtained exclusively through the mail. I just called and spoke to them. It'll cost $100. NM will get you CO, WI, MN, and MI. All of which FL doesn't get you. FL does get you GA which NM doesn't.
2.5" Smith & Wesson Model 66
4" Smith & Wesson Model 19
3.5" Smith & Wesson Model 29
Colt Series 70 1911
Sig Sauer West German P228
Glock Gen5 19/17/34 MOS

Last edited by phdo; 02-23-2017 at 1:02 PM..
Old 02-23-2017, 12:52 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by phdo View Post
You can get NH if you want PA. NH can be done exclusively through mail. I don't know their requirements though.
I did NH to get PA, not that I ever go to PA.

Requirement was:

-Copy of my CA CCW
-Names of 3 references who are not family (none reported being contacted)
-$100+ in the form of a MO.

Got it about a month...

I do know since then the requirement to have a CCW from your home state has been rule unconstitutional by the NH Supreme Court, so they may not require that any longer....
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

NRA Lifetime Member : CalGuns Lifetime Member : GOA Lifetime Member

Old 02-23-2017, 5:39 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

Quote:
NM can be obtained exclusively through the mail. I just called and spoke to them. It'll cost $100. NM will get you CO, WI, MN, and MI. All of which FL doesn't get you. FL does get you GA which NM doesn't.
I thought CO didn't honor any out of state permits?
Old 02-23-2017, 5:59 PM

Quote:
I thought CO didn't honor any out of state permits?

I used usacarry.com and it shows CO accepting NM.
Colt Series 70 1911
Glock Gen5 19/17/34 MOS
Old 02-23-2017, 6:13 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
That's what I use too... Yeah I see it shows that, interesting. But it appears NM doesn't issue out of state permits according to the site. Time to dig a little deeper.
Old 02-23-2017, 6:40 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
NM will get you CO, WI, MN, and MI.
CO, MI, and MN do not recognize non-resident permits (or permits held by non-residents). AZ covers WI.
Also, I'm not finding anything on non-resident NM permits:
http://www.dps.state.nm.us/wp-conten...C_11302016.pdf
Proof of residency is required.

Quote:
Old 02-23-2017, 6:41 PM

Quote:
That's what I use too... Yeah I see it shows that, interesting. But it appears NM doesn't issue out of state permits according to the site. Time to dig a little deeper.

They do. I asked. The premise of the conversation was; do you issue non-resident permits and and can it be done exclusively through mail. I asked if an AZ or FL will satisfy the safety requirement. He said yes but I have to put renewal when I send in the application even if it's my first time and to send in $31 instead of the $46 (I think). That seemed kind of odd to me but whatever. Also, the AZ or FL will satisfy half of the requirement. You still have to take a 6-8 hour class. They have a list of approved instructors on their site. Fingerprinting should be done with congent and you just need to send in the receipt. Turnaround time is within 30 days.
Colt Series 70 1911
Glock Gen5 19/17/34 MOS
Old 02-23-2017, 6:47 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
They do.
But you can't get NM unless you are a resident.

Clear the map and select AZ or FL... notice it will ask if you have a resident or non-resident.
Clear the map and select NM... it offers no choice.
Clear the map and select CA. Now select NM, it will not allow the selection.

FL is basically identical to AZ if you already have a CA permit. AZ grants Wisconsin, that's the only difference.

Most "bang for the buck" would be FL+UT. That gets you Wisconsin and Washington, as well as Florida and Nevada. Adding California only adds CA and Michigan.

Quote:
Old 02-23-2017, 6:50 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
They do. I asked. The premise of the conversation was; do you issue non-resident permits and and can it be done exclusively through mail. I asked if an AZ or FL will satisfy the safety requirement. He said yes but I have to put renewal when I send in the application even if it's my first time and to send in $31 instead of the $46 (I think). That seemed kind of odd to me but whatever. Also, the AZ or FL will satisfy half of the requirement. You still have to take a 6-8 hour class. They have a list of approved instructors on their site. Fingerprinting should be done with congent and you just need to send in the receipt. Turnaround time is within 30 days.
Regardless of whether they approve it or not, it will NOT be accepted by the 3 states that I listed, as they do not recognize non-resident carriers.

Important to note that neither my AZ nor my Florida permit list me address, OR indicate that they are non-resident permits. They are identical to the resident permits, but they are not recognized by 6 states that do recognize them when held by residents.

You really are playing with fire attempting to carry in CO on a NM permit with a CA ID.

Quote:
Old 02-24-2017, 7:21 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Regardless of whether they approve it or not, it will NOT be accepted by the 3 states that I listed, as they do not recognize non-resident carriers.

Important to note that neither my AZ nor my Florida permit list me address, OR indicate that they are non-resident permits. They are identical to the resident permits, but they are not recognized by 6 states that do recognize them when held by residents.

You really are playing with fire attempting to carry in CO on a NM permit with a CA ID.
This is my take on it too, unless things have changed and they haven't been updated yet. I've been over the USAcarry map a thousand times and it just appears CO is a really tough nut to crack for a non-resident if it's possible at all.

If I'm wrong I'd sure like to know about it, we tour the US on motorcycles at least twice a year and a lot of roads go through Colorado. They allow open carry and that's generally what we do out on the road in rural areas, but around metro areas we lock them in the saddle bags with a loaded mag next to it.
Old 02-24-2017, 8:46 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Arizona....... main advantage with the class was that they fingerprint you during the class........
Ending next month. Main reason I signed up was one stop shopping. Class is tomorrow so I made it under the deadline.

http://www.azccw.com/ccw-classes/2-hour-ccw-course/
Old 02-24-2017, 11:38 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1NM View Post
Ending next month. Main reason I signed up was one stop shopping. Class is tomorrow so I made it under the deadline.

http://www.azccw.com/ccw-classes/2-hour-ccw-course/
That's just classes for that particular company.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1095745
Darren's class not from this company and there's no indication of any changes.

Quote:
Old 03-21-2017, 4:51 PM

Quote:
....Walked into our local San Diego Sherriffs satellite office and they rolled them for free. In n out in 30 minutes without an appt............
Which one did you go to? Will any of them roll your prints for free?
Old 04-04-2017, 8:46 PM

Does having a out of state CCW have any benefits while filing DROS here in California?
Old 04-04-2017, 8:51 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dont_Shoot_im_Chinese View Post
Does having a out of state CCW have any benefits while filing DROS here in California?
It could potentially be used as a government-issued proof of residence, if the information is on it.
My Florida and AZ permits do not list my address, so they would be of no help.

Quote:
Old 06-04-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
I did NH to get PA, not that I ever go to PA.

Requirement was:

-Copy of my CA CCW
-Names of 3 references who are not family (none reported being contacted)
-$100+ in the form of a MO.

Got it about a month...

I do know since then the requirement to have a CCW from your home state has been rule unconstitutional by the NH Supreme Court, so they may not require that any longer....
Thank you for this info. I was wanting to pick up PA, but didn't want to take a trip there to get it. NH will be next on my list and I'll finally crack 40 states of conceal carry.
Old 06-04-2017, 2:48 PM

Quote:
I would like to obtain a permit for Utah and Florida. Do you guys know any online classes or any hunter classes in the Bay Area?
You can do part of the hunters safety online, then head to the Richmond rod and gun club for the test and hands on portion. That's what I did a few years ago.

https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Hunter-E...ollow-up-class

Use that link and follow option #2.

Disregard. Apparently I took the short bus to my living room today and didn't see the other 2 pages of replies
Old 06-09-2017, 1:28 PM

Default UT and AZ

I got utah and arizona, they cover everywhere that i travel outside of california. Took a 4 hour class in Sacramento and mailed everything in. Renew every 5 years.
Old 11-17-2020, 6:35 PM

VA CHP is legal in many states as well. I have heard a lot of folks recommend OnlineCHP.com as a good option for online training. They do VA permits that offer reciprocity to like 30ish states in the US. I ended up going with them and got my permit from the state of VA within 15 or so days.

Good luck!