Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 04-10-2013, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrdroidian View Post
You may want to put yourself on the sheriffs email list, this is the ONLY way to get accurate info about available appointments. By the way everyone my appt is next week I'm very anxious!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
God be with you, i hope you get it!

btw when did you apply?
Old 04-11-2013, 10:14 AM

I applied in feb when the email was sent out

Old 04-12-2013, 8:53 AM

Last night I stumbled on an available appointment on the 24th. I'm glad I will get in sooner vs later, especially since I already took and passed the CCW class. The confirmation email asked for a Letter of Statement, what is that? I don't see references to it in the application or on their site.
Old 04-12-2013, 9:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gidjin View Post
Last night I stumbled on an available appointment on the 24th. I'm glad I will get in sooner vs later, especially since I already took and passed the CCW class. The confirmation email asked for a Letter of Statement, what is that? I don't see references to it in the application or on their site.
The letter of statement is the same thing as a good cause statement.

Make is simple - a letter format with date and return address. The recipient can be either "To whom it may concern" or "To: Sacramento County Sheriff's Department".

Subject: License to Carry Concealed

I am requesting a license to carry concealed for the purpose of personal and family protection.

Sincerely,

Your signature
Your name typed
Old 04-12-2013, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markinsac View Post
The letter of statement is the same thing as a good cause statement.

Make is simple - a letter format with date and return address. The recipient can be either "To whom it may concern" or "To: Sacramento County Sheriff's Department".

Subject: License to Carry Concealed

I am requesting a license to carry concealed for the purpose of personal and family protection.

Sincerely,

Your signature
Your name typed
This is what the Sac Sheriff agreed to and I can confirm that this is an acceptable "good cause" statement because they accepted mine. Look at it this way - if they deny somebody because of their good cause statement, they know darn well that they will draw the ire of CGF - and I think they've shown their hand - that they are not interested in fighting, just conceding as little as they have to in order to avoid any expensive (and valid!) legal confrontations.

Deer Hunting Rifles? "Let's get rid of those too" - Adam Keigwin, Chief of Staff for Senator Leland Yee
Old 04-12-2013, 12:58 PM

Thanks guys. The way the form is phrased it makes you think you need to have a lot more than that.
Old 04-12-2013, 2:49 PM

2nd day and ccw is here. kinda fast nice
Old 04-14-2013, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edisla View Post
Wife went for her apt on 3/7 and has not received any mail. She called and talked to Amber this morning and was told it would be sent in the next couple days.
Not here yet
Old 04-15-2013, 2:18 PM

So I just received my approval pending Doj and FBI.

I would jus like to say: I AM 20 YEARS OLD AND I'VE BEEN APPROVED FOR MY SAC CCW!

Last edited by Sbasham; 04-15-2013 at 2:24 PM..
Old 04-15-2013, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonewalker View Post
This is what the Sac Sheriff agreed to and I can confirm that this is an acceptable "good cause" statement because they accepted mine. Look at it this way - if they deny somebody because of their good cause statement, they know darn well that they will draw the ire of CGF - and I think they've shown their hand - that they are not interested in fighting, just conceding as little as they have to in order to avoid any expensive (and valid!) legal confrontations.
True, but they're content to slow-roll all of the new (initial) appt's.

Semper Fi!

Old 04-24-2013, 1:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebronze View Post
You through me for a loop! You have know idea what kind of person you've been speaking too.

Knock yourself out dear.
Don't try to be a grammar cop when your own grammar is lacking--"too" means "also." The extra "o" is not for emphasis, regardless of how badly you want it to be!
Old 04-24-2013, 8:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pure3d2 View Post
Don't try to be a grammar cop when your own grammar is lacking--"too" means "also." The extra "o" is not for emphasis, regardless of how badly you want it to be!
Lol nice one Pure! Now now gents play nice!

Old 04-25-2013, 12:11 PM

Had my initial interview on 3/27. 30 days are up tomorrow. I have not heard a peep from the sherriffs office one way or the other. According to their webpage:
Step 4 - You will receive notification, generally within 30 days, if your application for a Concealed Weapons Permit has been approved or denied.

Is calling about this an effective way to get a response? Email? Or just stick it out for a while longer? I know they like to play the delay game.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." Thomas Jefferson
Old 04-25-2013, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DartFrog View Post
Had my initial interview on 3/27. 30 days are up tomorrow. I have not heard a peep from the sherriffs office one way or the other. According to their webpage:
Step 4 - You will receive notification, generally within 30 days, if your application for a Concealed Weapons Permit has been approved or denied.

Is calling about this an effective way to get a response? Email? Or just stick it out for a while longer? I know they like to play the delay game.
Just email amber. She will check and let you know what's going on. I would recommend checking though tomorrow as they have had pretty consistent problems with there notification system. Doesn't hurt to ask but definitely email seems to be the best way to contact them. Good luck! :-)
Old 04-25-2013, 6:10 PM

Thanks for the info. Will E-mail Amber early next week
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." Thomas Jefferson
Old 04-29-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edisla View Post
Not here yet
Wife received hers this past Saturday.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:41 AM

Had my initial appointment last Wed morning, went very well. The first detective was wearing a marine corp pin, I was wearing my navy pin. So of course we spent half our time giving each other crap about our service choice and the rest going over my application. The next detective was quick and basically double checked everything. All in all it took a little over an hour. So now I wait for the panel.

My record is basically clean, but Sac Sheriff did "insist" they provide me accommodations for a couple of days back in 2001 when I and my wife refused to tell our druggie daughter-in-law living on the street where our 5 year old granddaughter was while we tried to get custody and keep her from living on said streets with POS mom after she went to social worker. Long jaw-grinding story later, case was thrown out, "dismissed with prejudice", we were told that meant it shouldn't have happened and didn't happen as far as criminal law was concerned. All I can say is family court in CA totally sucks, but we got through it somehow. Granddaughter graduates high school this month with honors, so it worked out best for her, which was the whole point. Was interesting when I told the marine detective about this arrest, his comment was "oh, went to the mat for her did you, good". Never thought much about it, just did what I figured anyone else would and should do. Both sheriffs acted like this was no big deal to my chances, so I have good hope for my permit.

One guy was there who was waiting to be seen, turned out he got his appt. time the day before, so cancels are definitely out there for anyone to grab. Little waiting room had a stream of people going in and out for permits, they are busy with CCW at Sac Sheriff.

Quote:
An armed society is a polite society. Robert A. Heinlein
Quote:
The right to buy weapons is the right to be free. A. E. van Vogt. (The Weapon Shops of Isher)
Quote:
...all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by... John Masefield
Know our enemy - Leftist Progressives are fascists and traitors to America and deserve lifetime exile at the least.
Old 05-06-2013, 3:57 PM

Anyone ever use a lawyer to obtain their ccw? I was denied a year ago and then denied again when i appealed it. My year is up and i should be able to receive it but scs does not think i qualify. I emailed the lawyer on Calguns but never get a response.
Old 05-11-2013, 1:03 PM

ton of appointments up! GO GO GO
Old 05-11-2013, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKY View Post
Anyone ever use a lawyer to obtain their ccw? I was denied a year ago and then denied again when i appealed it. My year is up and i should be able to receive it but scs does not think i qualify. I emailed the lawyer on Calguns but never get a response.
There are many factors - what type of trouble you've had, when you had it, the possibility that you might get in that trouble again. More information would be necessary to suggest the next move.
Old 05-13-2013, 3:02 PM

AAAAAAAAHHHH- it's official, it arrived today! ROADTRIP ! I'm ready for my Walmart-walk Lol yes I know Cali doesn't recognize Utah's ccw, but I travel so I'm covered!

Old 05-14-2013, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pure3d2 View Post
All the grammar errors in that reply and THAT'S what you keyed in on? Wow, you are SMART!!!

That was a play on words off of her poor grammar, not a grammar faux paus. But thanks for playing.

Semper Fi!

Last edited by thebronze; 05-14-2013 at 6:04 PM..
Old 05-14-2013, 6:24 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKY View Post
Quote:
There are many factors - what type of trouble you've had, when you had it, the possibility that you might get in that trouble again. More information would be necessary to suggest the next move.
You can thank CA's May Issue carry scheme for your situation. Think on this - how safe do you feel with our laws when our government will sign off on somebody buying a gun but then turn around and deny them the ability to legally carry it because they might be too dangerous. Super effective security there. No holes whatsoever, nope. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Mark is right on as far as your situation goes. I don't know for sure, but I would hazard an educated guess that Sac County is one of the more likely counties where a lawyer'd approach could work. But expect to spend thousands of dollars if you want to go that route. I know people have been able to obtain LTCs in other, far more anti-gun counties in CA with the help of a lawyer.

But honestly, the market that those lawyers operate in is a market of institutionalized oppression. Once CA goes Shall Issue, their work will dry up. Good for them for being shrewd and effective, but I have a problem with people who take advantage of government-created "captive audience" markets. Our economy literally runs on the effective work of people who see niches in markets and decide to take a risk and make money by providing a wanted/needed service. But I would hope that those people would instead use their intelligence and talent to end the laws that create the false market they work in.

Sorry, I'm waxing philosophical a bit - I do hope you can obtain your LTC soon and if you have to use a lawyer to do it, then you have to use a lawyer to do it. Although hopefully our dear California will soon be forced to adopt an Issue scheme where lawyers are not needed for the common man to be allowed to legally carry a basic means of defense.

Deer Hunting Rifles? "Let's get rid of those too" - Adam Keigwin, Chief of Staff for Senator Leland Yee
Old 05-14-2013, 6:39 PM
Veteran Member

Permit showed up last week. I'm sort of still in awe at how incredibly fortunate I am to have the amazingly CGF team working for my rights. I only applied for my permit because I knew CGF had made it possible, I wasn't even that interested in carrying when I started the process about 7 months ago. So let no man call me entitled or ungrateful - credit goes to where it is deserved - I truly do not deserve what CGF has facilitated for me.

Freedom is not free. You know what to do.

Old 05-15-2013, 8:20 AM

Wow it's Christmas in May, earlier this week I received my Utah CCW permit, then this morning I wake up this morning to an email for Sacramento county CCW approval! I'm so blessed. I'm headed to get my live scan RIGHT NOW! LoL

Old 05-15-2013, 9:39 AM

Yippee! I went in May 1st for my initial appointment, just got my approval this morning and now I am off to the live scan. Only 15 days instead of the 30 they told me, that makes me happy.

Quote:
Quote:
The right to buy weapons is the right to be free. A. E. van Vogt. (The Weapon Shops of Isher)
Quote:
Know our enemy - Leftist Progressives are fascists and traitors to America and deserve lifetime exile at the least.
Old 05-15-2013, 9:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorsai58 View Post
Yippee! I went in May 1st for my initial appointment, just got my approval this morning and now I am off to the live scan. Only 15 days instead of the 30 they told me, that makes me happy.
Awwww lucky, I waited 35 days, but no complaints over here, who knows I might be in line behind you to "livescan"! LoL

Old 05-15-2013, 2:32 PM

Not if you are going today, I gotta work, Not going for livescan until Friday,

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-19-2013, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Ha. Livescan done now I wait 1month for Mr Postman, bring me permit mr postman lol

Old 05-20-2013, 2:49 PM

20 days after my initial appt I got my approval and live scan form via email. Though I don't know why they send you 3 copies of the scan form via email. Really I'm just going to fill it out once and print it out 3 times. Though I don't know what to put in some of the fields, should I leave them blank or put N/A? Soc, OCA No., Level of Service?, and ATI No. Probably N/A since I don't think they apply to me.
Old 05-20-2013, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Ha. Livescan done now I wait 1month for Mr Postman, bring me permit mr postman lol

when did you take the class? do you recommend taking the class before or after you get you approval letter? and how does the sheriff know you took the class?
Old 05-20-2013, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirlee View Post
when did you take the class? do you recommend taking the class before or after you get you approval letter? and how does the sheriff know you took the class?
Once you've gotten the initial approval letter (and if you're absolutely sure your Livescan will be OK), schedule your class.

You will get a certificate from the instructor with the information on the firearms you shot for qualification by make, model, serial number, and caliber. Some will even put your score on it.

When your Livescan comes in, you can then immediately make your second appointment for getting the LTC issued.
Old 05-22-2013, 8:17 AM

@markinsac, I took my class in march got that knocked out prior to my interview. I'm only waiting on my FBI/doj investigation and appt for issuance, I, practically am completed with my process!

Old 05-22-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
@markinsac, I took my class in march got that knocked out prior to my interview. I'm only waiting on my FBI/doj investigation and appt for issuance, I, practically am completed with my process!
There has been some conversation that the class needs to be taken within a specific timeframe of the issuing appointment. You might want to email them and ask. It is possible that you took the class too early.
Old 05-25-2013, 9:13 AM

My driving record isn't squeaky that's for sure. I do have an appointment for June 13th. A few speeding tickets (was on a 1 year probation but no tickets since), no Drivers license on me ticket (forgot my wallet at work, next morning on my way to work speeding with no license on my person), no registration (about 5 years ago, times were tough, had to cut $$ somewhere that $550 registration couldn't afford it) and the worst of the offenses...twice had missed my court date, i.e. failure to appear, the only tickets I was going to fight. I did pay them the following day my wife was pissed at me.

As my date approaches I am concerned this may be a waste of time for me. I did serve in the Army, was a Ranger. I am a squared away guy but feel my chances getting slimmer and slimmer.

Any thoughts, recommendations?

The General Manager where I work thinks it would be great to know someone is armed at work. However I think that is not necessarily a good thing to mention, because now it becomes a work related carry.

Character letters should be attached?

Just kind of fishing I guess, for encouragement or advice on preparing myself for the interview and my packet for review.

Thanks all.

Old 05-25-2013, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leok20 View Post
My driving record isn't squeaky that's for sure. I do have an appointment for June 13th. A few speeding tickets (was on a 1 year probation but no tickets since), no Drivers license on me ticket (forgot my wallet at work, next morning on my way to work speeding with no license on my person), no registration (about 5 years ago, times were tough, had to cut $$ somewhere that $550 registration couldn't afford it) and the worst of the offenses...twice had missed my court date, i.e. failure to appear, the only tickets I was going to fight. I did pay them the following day my wife was pissed at me.

As my date approaches I am concerned this may be a waste of time for me. I did serve in the Army, was a Ranger. I am a squared away guy but feel my chances getting slimmer and slimmer.

Any thoughts, recommendations?

The General Manager where I work thinks it would be great to know someone is armed at work. However I think that is not necessarily a good thing to mention, because now it becomes a work related carry.

Character letters should be attached?

Just kind of fishing I guess, for encouragement or advice on preparing myself for the interview and my packet for review.

Thanks all.
BE HONEST! That's all I can say I had a few tickets from a few years ago, no criminal history, I'm waiting for my permit in the mail I've already completed my issuance appt.

Old 05-25-2013, 11:45 PM

Thanks. Gives me at little hope.

Definitely going to be honest.

No criminal history either, well other than the traffic tickets/court

Finger Crossed.

Old 05-26-2013, 12:55 AM

Location: Born on the Sacramento River. Raised by an a Alligator, sired by a Lion. Backbone o' barbed wire!!

Happy one year anniversary to my CCW permit.
Old 06-06-2013, 7:40 PM

Default CCW Training Certificate for Sac County

Quote:
There has been some conversation that the class needs to be taken within a specific timeframe of the issuing appointment. You might want to email them and ask. It is possible that you took the class too early.
For the Sacramento County Sheriff's Department, a CCW training course certificate (initial or renewal) issued by an approved instructor is accepted for up to two years from the date of completion listed on it. That's for Sac only. That time frame differs amongst other Police and Sheriff's Departments.
Wesley Lagomarsino, CA CCW Instructor - Alameda, Amador, Calaveras, El Dorado, Nevada, Placer, Plumas, Sacramento, San Joaquin, Shasta, Yolo, Yuba, the Cities of Davis, Galt, Ione, Jackson, Lodi, Manteca, Ripon, Stockton and Tracy ... and many more to come ... and Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Nevada, Maine, Oregon, Utah, Virginia & Washington

www.LFIguns.com - serving Sacramento, Reno, the Central Valley, Foot Hills and Bay Area
Old 06-10-2013, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Livescan done the 17th of May, still waiting today for news. Did my training last week at CSTA with Phil and Ken. Good guys, good class, Ken's a hoot as old crusty Brit, too much security guard crap but that was expected since the CCW class is run with the guard carry class and I did learn a few things about security guarding I didn't know. The qualification phase was great. I got nervous, fell out of form. Phil was quick and accurate in correcting me and get me right back on track, qualified no problem because of him. Good man on the range who knows his stuff and will work with you to help you shoot right. Best of all they only charge a $100 for the class, cheapest I could find and they covered all aspects of CCW, use of force and laws regarding force and pistols. I would recommend them for the training. Phil also offers tactical training for those who want to increase their skills.

So, hopefully this week I get my Lifescan stuff back. I have an appointment right now for July 17, will keep looking for cancels and get closer if I can. Almost there!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote: