Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 07-01-2020, 6:14 PM

Default Rechargeable C123As?

Hi,

I am trying to find some re-chargebale C123As. Do these rechargeable ones work? The specs are slightly different.

One-time
3V
1500maH

Re-chargeable
3.7V
700maH

All the rechargeable one's I've looked at have those same specs.
Old 07-01-2020, 6:20 PM

amazon has ebl brand that's rechargeable.
Old 07-01-2020, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr goodguy View Post
amazon has ebl brand that's ebl brand that's rechargeable.
I know, there are plenty. But are they interchangeable with the non-rechargeable ones?
Old 07-01-2020, 10:57 PM

If it's for a surefire be careful. The rechargeables in higher voltage can mess up your light.

Again, if for surefire only, they do take some LiFePO4 rechargeables. They are weak sauce (lower output, lower runtime) compared to primaries (disposable batteries).

I have nice non surefire light, an HDS Rotary, that used CR123 primaries and a similarly sized 16340 lithium ion rechargable battery.

I believe the 16340 is what you are looking for. Sometimes the battery is also called a RCR123A. I would buy from a reputable dealer like battery junction or brighguy.

There is also another battery type called INR 123 to add to the confusion.

There is a lot to be learned about chemistry and the pluses and minuses of the various battery types. You can read up at candlepower forums. I suggest you do this. You don't want any Vape type kabooms, if you know what I'm sayin'.

And like guns, it pays to spend the money up front on high quality. Flashlights are a whole other ballgame. We should all move on to 18650 lights just to make the world a better place.
Old 07-01-2020, 11:43 PM
Village idiot
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie404 View Post
I know, there are plenty. But are they interchangeable with the non-rechargeable ones?
As noted rcr123 are 3.7 and usually higher when taken straight off the charger but it drops back to 3.7 under load. Depends if the circuitry can down regulate. I wouldn’t use a rcr123 unless it is stated the product can handle 4.2v
Old 07-01-2020, 11:46 PM

Default Tenergy / Olight

I have used the Tenergy RCR123A (3.0V) for my lights/lasers for a couple of years with pretty good results.

For my single cell pocket light I run a Olight 3.7V/550mAh battery IMR16340 that I have also been happy with.
Old 07-02-2020, 6:26 AM
Calguns Addict

Question

What's the run time on 'em, before the light goes DIM? That's my reluctance with rechargeable batteries in general.
Old 07-02-2020, 6:51 AM

There are some that even have a micro usb charge port built in and eliminates the need for a separate charger. If you do get some, make sure you get a name brand you can trust. I stick with Olight, Fenix, Nitecore, and the regular Japanese cells like Panasonic and Sanyo. These smaller cells do not have protections circuits, so staying away from the cheap Chinese cells are even more important on these. Be wary of any cell with "Fire" in the name. There is one "fire" brand that is good, but the name escapes me at the moment. I have a few 16340 lights and batteries and found that not all are interchangeable. I have one light that refuses to work with anything other than the battery it came with. I still use 123's on the gun lights in my safe, but the 16340's for everything else.

Robert A. Heinlein

NRA Life Member Certified Instructor
Old 07-02-2020, 7:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The War Wagon View Post
What's the run time on 'em, before the light goes DIM? That's my reluctance with rechargeable batteries in general.
I found with my lights, they don't really go dim, they stop working. some lights will step down brightness to lower settings as the voltage lowers, but they don't really dim like incandescent lights do.

Also, that statement is kinds like saying how far can you get on one tank of gas. That depends on how big the tank is, and what and how you are driving. Running a light on turbo will give you less time than high. Pushing an 1800 lumen light on a 16340 cell (like my acebeam tk16) will not last nearly as long as a 500 lumen light. Most lights give you run times with a specific battery, but you should be able to extrapolate how long a different battery will run on that specific light by using the capacity differences. That may get you close, but it will not be exact as each battery has different voltage curves that will affect performance.

Robert A. Heinlein

NRA Life Member Certified Instructor
Old 07-02-2020, 7:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The War Wagon View Post
Not sure if I got this wrong. I don't know much about batteries. But the lithium C123As from Energizer are 1500mAh and the rechargeable ones are ~600mAh depending on the brand, etc.

So I'd say somewhere between a third and a half of the non-rechargeable ones.
Old 07-02-2020, 3:01 PM
Village idiot
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie404 View Post
Not sure if I got this wrong. I don't know much about batteries. But the lithium C123As from Energizer are 1500mAh and the rechargeable ones are ~600mAh depending on the brand, etc.

So I'd say somewhere between a third and a half of the non-rechargeable ones.
Yes diminished total capacity. But the main concern you should have for your lights, is does it have the protective circuitry to handle 4.2v. Prior to being under full load, the battery will push initially 4.2v and that may pop the circuitry on the board.
Old 07-02-2020, 5:57 PM
facultatem excelsis
CGN Contributor

Last I checked cr123's are only made by a few (3 or 4?) manufacturers, only 1 is made in USA by Panasonic then rebranded (surefire, streamlight, battery junction, maybe more.)
I don't trust chinese lithium batteries, and cr123 isn't a common rechargeable so I wouldn't trust that either.

If you absolutely want rechargeable for a flashlight or something, change your flashlight to an 18650 and get a verified Samsung battery.

USA made cr123's are cheap enough in bulk, and lithium is potentially dangerous in multi cell, that rechargeable isn't worth it in my opinion.

Further, manufacturers aren't expecting/designing products for you to use a rechargeable cr123 since it's so uncommon, and you may have problems or reduced functionality.

Just buy fresh USA made cr123 batteries, it's like $1 each.

Last edited by AreWeFree; 07-02-2020 at 6:03 PM..