Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 05-31-2011, 9:17 PM

Default Casting and sizing : Fixed!

Questions for the casters out there. Is the Lee sizer only meant for using with tumble lube casts? Is there any problem sizing standard cast pan lubed boolits or is it just as easy as re-lubing them? Would the sizer get dirty easier?

Last edited by p1choco; 06-01-2011 at 8:27 PM..
Old 05-31-2011, 9:36 PM

I think it is meant for only tumble lube casts but also don't see why you couldn't run pan lubed bullets thru it. The sizer won't get dirty easier; each bullet you size pushes out any crud that could have been left behind from the previous bullet. That is not where you need to look for crud build up; look for it in the bullet seater when loading those tumble lubed bullets.

I recently purchased a 6 cavity 9mm mold and their sizer. I cast about 1k, lubed them, sized them then coated them with a little moly (they were sticky as all get out!). Ran them through my Beretta and Sig 226 and the results were astounding. Most inaccurate rounds I have ever had the displeasure of shooting! I'll stick with plated bullets from now on in my semi autos.

"I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything; but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do."
Edward Everett Hale
Old 05-31-2011, 9:51 PM
Veteran Member

It will work fine with the pan lubed boolits -
Old 06-01-2011, 9:13 AM

Gunboat I assume you are saying that from experience. If so, are you re-lubing too? If not, should I be anyway. Lee suggests it. I've read that it's not that big a deal from other sources but I like to hear everybody's take on the matter.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:00 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdarrin@sbcglobal.net View Post
I think it is meant for only tumble lube casts but also don't see why you couldn't run pan lubed bullets thru it. The sizer won't get dirty easier; each bullet you size pushes out any crud that could have been left behind from the previous bullet. That is not where you need to look for crud build up; look for it in the bullet seater when loading those tumble lubed bullets.

I recently purchased a 6 cavity 9mm mold and their sizer. I cast about 1k, lubed them, sized them then coated them with a little moly (they were sticky as all get out!). Ran them through my Beretta and Sig 226 and the results were astounding. Most inaccurate rounds I have ever had the displeasure of shooting! I'll stick with plated bullets from now on in my semi autos.
Might of done something wrong in the reloading process. Remember that lead load is diffrent from plated/jacket. You'll have to refind the correct charge to get accurate ammo...

In the mean time, mind selling me the 9mm cavity mold and sizer?? lol
Old 06-01-2011, 10:09 AM

You can use the push through sizer for TL or standard bullet designs.
Standard bullets can also be tumble lubed.

You are supposed to lightly tumble lube the bullets, run them through the sizer, tumble lube them again, then lay them out on wax paper to dry. They don't have to be set on their base, but they should be spread out so they're not touching.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:10 AM
I need a LIFE!!

when i cast i use the lee 452 rn tl and the 356 rn tl 2 cavity(cause i'm a cheapskate)

i drop them into a 5 gallon bucket of water

then i run them through the sizer 452 or 356 depending duh

i do not lube them before sizing the tl molds are good enough to shoot as cast but i prefer having them all uniform in size and the sizing allows me to find the ones that are undersize i either feel one go through too easy or i can spot ones that dont have consistent shine on the sides

then i use the lee liquid alox on them

my lee 356 sizer was making my bullets 355 so i used some 600 grit on a cleaning brush to open it up till the bullets pressed through measured .356

its funny my 9mm loads seem to leave less lead in the bore than my 45s which is like chipping out glitter when i clean

i'm thinking of working my 452 sizer open to 453
Old 06-01-2011, 10:19 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdarrin@sbcglobal.net View Post

I have cast tens of thousands of bullets in everything from cheap Lee molds to H&G 8 cav molds. I lubesize with a Star, load with a 550, 650 or SS press and my loads are extremely consistant.

Did you slug your barrel before determining what sizer die to use? Did you load for lead bullets or, did you load on the hot side for plated/jacketed bullets? Did you use load data for GCed bullets instead of just lead? Where did you get you lead? Was it too soft? Did your barrels expreience a significant amount of leading? It really sounds to me that you did something wrong and are trying to blame the fact that you were using cast bullets rather than plated or jacketed ones.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Old 06-01-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpo628 View Post
You can use the push through sizer for TL or standard bullet designs.
Standard bullets can also be tumble lubed.

You are supposed to lightly tumble lube the bullets, run them through the sizer, tumble lube them again, then lay them out on wax paper to dry. They don't have to be set on their base, but they should be spread out so they're not touching.
Got it. I have quite a bit of custom blended lube given to me and the standard SWC Lee Mold (w/gas check) coming to me GRATIS! Wanting to be as frugal as possible I didn't want to have to buy the Alox or TL molds or a fancy Lubrisizer. I still want to get a sizer for piece of mind that everything is consistant. Hence the questions. If it's optimal that I get the TL molds and Alox, so be it. I guess I could do the trial by error thing and use what I have first. Then move on if need be. Thank you gents for your input. Please do not hesitate to weigh in your thoughts. I'm still listening.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member

I can not speak to the tumble lube -- I have never done it.
I have used the lee push through with lyman 452374 225gr RN PB after pan lubing -- sizer worked fine, bullets hit the milk jug -
I can't say there was more or less lube residue than pan lube and tong sizer but certainly more residue than with a lyman,saeco or star lube/sizer.
It was not my star, but it did the job.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:14 PM
I need a LIFE!!

the lee sizer kits come with the bottle of ooze i've just used up the last of bottle number 2 from the 2 sizing kits

must have covered four thousand bullets with a light coating
Old 06-01-2011, 12:59 PM

A lot of people swear by a mixture of Lee Liquid Alox, Johnson's Paste Wax, and Mineral Spirits. The ratio is 45% JPW / 45% LLA /10% MS by volume.

"Little to no smoke at the range when firing, no tackiness on the boolits, no buildup in the seater die, no leading, and an easy to clean barrel."

See here for more info:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=67654
Old 06-01-2011, 8:37 PM

Thanks bumpo! That's good info there.
Old 06-01-2011, 8:46 PM

One more thing, if you use the LLA straight it helps if you drop the bottle in a cup of really hot water for about five minutes. Otherwise, it's nearly impossible to get it out of the bottle. A little bit goes a long way, so it's better to add more later if necessary.
Old 06-02-2011, 1:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
Did you slug your barrel before determining what sizer die to use? Did you load for lead bullets or, did you load on the hot side for plated/jacketed bullets? Did you use load data for GCed bullets instead of just lead? Where did you get you lead? Was it too soft? Did your barrels expreience a significant amount of leading? It really sounds to me that you did something wrong and are trying to blame the fact that you were using cast bullets rather than plated or jacketed ones.
I did not slug the barrel.
Yes, I loaded for lead bullets (not my first time making or shooting them).
Lead is the same alloy I've used in .357 148 gr WC, 158 gr SWC, and .44 250 gr SWC bullets I've cast and shot for years (mid '80's); never a leading problem in them or in the 9mm.
Definitely not beyond the realm of possibility that I did something wrong; probably not slugging the barrel.

"I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything; but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do."
Edward Everett Hale