Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 10-14-2010, 10:09 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Exclamation El Dorado

UPDATE (2015 Feb 05):

Per posts #380 and #381, it looks like mere "self-defense" is being accepted by the sheriff as sufficient Good Cause, therefore I'm changing the title of this thread to read "Time to Apply!!!" If anyone uses "self-defense" as their GC and gets denied for lack of or insufficient GC, and gets denied for lack of or insufficient GC, PM a Moderator listed at the bottom of this forum.

El Dorado SO's CCW application instructions & form are linked at: http://www.edcgov.us/Sheriff/Forms.aspx

(end of update)

El Dorado County CCW Policy, Guidelines and Forms can be found Here

Member, CRPA Board of Directors
"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little." - Edmund Burke

Search Calguns using Google
CGN Search plugin for Firefox & IE CA Shotgun AW ID Flowchart CA Handgun AW ID Flowchart CA Senate CA Assembly Anti-2A Search Plugin

Last edited by QuarterBoreGunner; 04-26-2016 at 8:18 AM..
Old 10-20-2010, 11:02 PM

Default CCW Friendly?

I will be moving from San Francisco to El Dorado county soon. Is El Dorado a CCW friendly county? Are they reasonable about giving out permits?
Old 10-30-2010, 8:32 PM

Both of the candidates for El Dorado County sheriff promised to be more CCW friendly. D'Agostini promised self-defense equals good cause and Therkildson promised to streamline the process (whatever that means).
Old 10-30-2010, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphim713 View Post
I will be moving from San Francisco to El Dorado county soon. Is El Dorado a CCW friendly county? Are they reasonable about giving out permits?
Yes, they are very reasonable. And it may be getting even easier to get through the process if either candidate keeps there promise regarding CCW issuance.

Old 10-30-2010, 9:41 PM

D'Agostini is backed by the NRA. The other canidate is not. Draw your own conclusions.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:20 AM

Looking at the current support it looks like by the end of the day D'Agostini will be our Sheriff! I'll be applying for mine as soon as he takes office.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:23 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexster View Post
Looking at the current support it looks like by the end of the day D'Agostini will be our Sheriff! I'll be applying for mine as soon as he takes office.
Where are you getting your polling numbers? Just wondering for my own edification.

I have spoken with D'Agostini on three occassions. He is the real deal, he is the superior pro-gun candidate, and he's shown a willingess to annihilate all unlawful and illlegal requirements that Sheriff Jeff Neves/Fred Kollar continues to enforce, and Therkildsen seems to be squishy on.
Old 11-06-2010, 1:21 PM

El Dorado County elections is still counting the "vote by mail" ballots. The spread between Sheriff D and Sherrif T is growing in D's favor. Sheriff D will be as close to shall issue and "personal protection" good cause as we can get without the state becoming shall issue. Apply for your ccw after D takes office.

Last edited by Hogxtz; 11-06-2010 at 4:16 PM..
Old 11-17-2010, 11:57 AM

I also have spoken to our new Sheriff and he said he will remove the need for 3 character letters and that self defense is good cause.

We have a lot of rural roads that we travel at night plus I'm a competitive shooter that carries guns all the time, so I think I will apply after Mr. D'Agostini takes office and changes the SO policy.

It's interesting that in talking with some business owners in Placerville they would like to apply for permits, but found it was too onerous in the past. Since Mr. D'Agostini wants to bring back a community based law enforcement policy this may go a long way in bringing the community back to support the SO.
Old 11-22-2010, 9:52 AM

Anyone know when the new sheriff takes office?
Old 11-22-2010, 10:06 AM

They are supposed to validate the vote count this Friday, then he would be sworn in January 11th.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:31 AM

Hang tight folks. Policy is being massively overhauled. I am a resident and instructor in El Dorado and you all will pleased with the final outcome. Stay tuned...
Old 12-07-2010, 1:09 PM

Keep us posted Socom.
Old 12-07-2010, 2:52 PM

I currently live in Sacramento, but I will be moving to El Dorado County next year. If I get my CCW for Sacramento will I need to re-apply in El Dorado once I move, or can I wait for it to expire before I apply again in El Dorado Co. I don't really want to pay the fees twice.

Or should I just wait until I move?
Old 12-07-2010, 6:10 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mw20 View Post
I currently live in Sacramento, but I will be moving to El Dorado County next year. If I get my CCW for Sacramento will I need to re-apply in El Dorado once I move, or can I wait for it to expire before I apply again in El Dorado Co. I don't really want to pay the fees twice.

Or should I just wait until I move?
Appointments in Sacramento are booked out until February. Wait until you move out of Sacramento as a CCW would only be good for 90 days after your move at which point you would have to reapply and pay the fees all over again. Better to only have to do it once.

Member, CRPA Board of Directors
"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little." - Edmund Burke

Search Calguns using Google
CGN Search plugin for Firefox & IE CA Shotgun AW ID Flowchart CA Handgun AW ID Flowchart CA Senate CA Assembly Anti-2A Search Plugin
Old 12-22-2010, 2:16 PM

So what is the process like right now?

When should we expect the changes that will make El Dorado Co. virtual shall issue?

Will there be a new process that is more streamlined?
Old 12-22-2010, 3:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mw20 View Post
So what is the process like right now?
Terrible. Wait three weeks and it'll be much better.

Quote:
When should we expect the changes that will make El Dorado Co. virtual shall issue?
The day the sheriff takes office, most likely.

Quote:
Will there be a new process that is more streamlined?
Yes.
Old 12-22-2010, 3:29 PM

Inauguration will be early January. Process will be much simpler. Feel free to PM me if you need any info on the process or training. I am a CCW instructor here in ED county.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Majik View Post
Also, don't forget, bring a slower friend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic32 View Post
i was hoping for a 1911. very disappointing. it's like you are getting ready to have a threesome with jessica alba and scarlett johansen and finding out they're both dudes...
Old 12-22-2010, 6:33 PM
I need a LIFE!!

We're in direct contact with the sheriff-elect and will be posting all of the details here when he's completed the reforms.

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:14 AM

Sheriff D'Agostini recently held a meeting with several approved CCW Instructors. He asked for our input regarding removing restrictions that El Dorado County had on their CCW's and revising the policy in any way that would make it more common sense oriented. For example, we discussed doing away with the restriction that makes El Dorado County issued permits invalid outside of CA. We talked about allowing 5 guns on the permit instead of only 3 (he wanted to allow any gun that you legally own but, he has to list every approved gun on the actual permit and 5 seemed to be the maximum that would fit). We also concluded that the new permits would be on a card similar to a driver's license or credit card rather than a piece of paper.

Throughout the meeting we discussed many other issues. It was very constructive. Sheriff D'Agostini is certainly CCW friendly and a very open individual.
Old 12-28-2010, 7:23 AM

The recent news sounds good. Is Jan 11 the inauguration day, as opposed to Jan 3 or 4 like most other offices? I couldn't find the date on the net.... I have my app filled out, just waiting to send it in....

Thanks.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacto929 View Post
The recent news sounds good. Is Jan 11 the inauguration day, as opposed to Jan 3 or 4 like most other offices? I couldn't find the date on the net.... I have my app filled out, just waiting to send it in....

Thanks.
I just called and spoke with Sheriff D'Agostini. He said that he will take the office at 12PM on January 3, 2011.

He asked me to request that everyone NOT turn in their applications all at once. It will cause everbody's process to be drastically delayed and he wants to try to avoid that.
Old 12-28-2010, 1:27 PM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccwtrainer View Post
I just called and spoke with Sheriff D'Agostini. He said that he will take the office at 12PM on January 3, 2011.

He asked me to request that everyone NOT turn in their applications all at once. It will cause everbody's process to be drastically delayed and he wants to try to avoid that.
I don't live in that county, but as a suggestion that will help with the sheriff's request:
SSNs 0000-0999 apply immediately
SSNs 1000-1999 apply in 2 weeks
SSNs 2000-2999 apply in 4 weeks

etc until all have applied. Granted, this would be on the honor system, but it might help maintain relations with his office. Just an idea.

Old 12-28-2010, 2:09 PM

Default New process = New Forms?

If there will be a new, modified process for CCW applications (as is strongly suggested by the posts here in this thread), will there be new application Forms as well? Or should we use the old forms? If the old forms, how will we know what parts of the forms to ignore if no longer needed, etc.?
Old 12-28-2010, 2:14 PM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15thaf5thbw View Post
If there will be a new, modified process for CCW applications (as is strongly suggested by the posts here in this thread), will there be new application Forms as well? Or should we use the old forms? If the old forms, how will we know what parts of the forms to ignore if no longer needed, etc.?
Anyone can apply to any sheriffs office with this form from CA DOJ.

Old 12-28-2010, 5:07 PM

This is very exciting. I'm in no rush, I mean the sooner the better, but we've all waited for these changes for many years. I never thought that CA gun owners would be making this kind of headway in the first place. Thank you Wildhawker and all others that have helped us get to this point, and thank you for keeping us informed.
Old 12-28-2010, 7:27 PM
I need a LIFE!!

El Dorado residents should especially thank Gray Peterson, a fellow 2A warrior hailing from Washington (state).

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 12-29-2010, 1:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15thaf5thbw View Post
The application form will still be the same old standardized DOJ form that choprzrul listed a link to three posts up.

The main change in the process will be quite simply that you won't need some big elaborate explanation for your good cause statement. Sheriff D'Agostini has made it pretty clear that "self defense" is a good enough reason in his book for you to qualify for a CCW (of course along with the absence of any disqualifying criminal or mental history).
Old 01-03-2011, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
El Dorado residents should especially thank Gray Peterson, a fellow 2A warrior hailing from Washington (state).
Thanks Gray!! I also want to thank all the voters of this county for voting for a Sheriff that is honest in addition to his views on the 2A and the Constitution. Well run campaign John!!

ccwtrainer...do you know if they will be eliminating the 3 character letters?
Old 01-05-2011, 10:17 AM

Default Swearing in of our new Sheriff

I just got this in an email from our local gun club:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJccz...layer_embedded

Listen to his message towards the end of the video.

Congratulations Sheriff John D'Agostini !!
Old 01-05-2011, 10:26 AM

Spoke to EDC Sheriff Office, D'Agostini does not take office until the 11th but was sworn in on 1/3.

I plan on dropping my paperwork next week
Old 01-07-2011, 4:27 PM

Default CCW - El Dorado County

Called yesterday and setup my first interview (turning in the application with EDC Records.) I will be meeting with her tuesday to review the application and start the process.

I am using the standard DOJ CCW forum and will be using Personal Defense as my justification.

Wish me luck!
Old 01-08-2011, 8:37 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Please do keep us posted on the detailed progress of your application.

Sheriff D'Agostini campaigned heavily on his support for CCW, and the whole process should be smooth sailing for you.

Best of Luck.
Old 01-08-2011, 7:16 PM

Yes I would like to know as well. I am still waiting to see him change the ccw requirements on the Sheriff internet site.
Old 01-08-2011, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexster View Post
Called yesterday and setup my first interview (turning in the application with EDC Records.) I will be meeting with her tuesday to review the application and start the process.

I am using the standard DOJ CCW forum and will be using Personal Defense as my justification.

Wish me luck!

You will have no problems whatsoever, of course provided that you don't have any obvious disqualifying factors. Sheriff D'Agostini is a very stand up guy and he will certainly live up to his word. In fact I just spoke with him earlier today. You couldn't have a better man in that office.
Wesley Lagomarsino, CA CCW Instructor - Alameda, Amador, Calaveras, El Dorado, Nevada, Placer, Plumas, Sacramento, San Joaquin, Shasta, Yolo, Yuba, the Cities of Davis, Galt, Ione, Jackson, Lodi, Manteca, Ripon, Stockton and Tracy ... and many more to come ... and Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Nevada, Maine, Oregon, Utah, Virginia & Washington

www.LFIguns.com - serving Sacramento, Reno, the Central Valley, Foot Hills and Bay Area
Old 01-09-2011, 4:42 AM

Quote:
You will have no problems whatsoever, of course provided that you don't have any obvious disqualifying factors. Sheriff D'Agostini is a very stand up guy and he will certainly live up to his word. In fact I just spoke with him earlier today. You couldn't have a better man in that office.
Good news there. I realize it's early on, but do you have knowledge of upcoming official changes to polices/requirements (such as letters of recommendation, etc) that were put in place by previous administration...in both EDC permit and renewal processes?
Old 01-09-2011, 6:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coq View Post
Good news there. I realize it's early on, but do you have knowledge of upcoming official changes to polices/requirements (such as letters of recommendation, etc) that were put in place by previous administration...in both EDC permit and renewal processes?
Yes. At the request of Sheriff D'Agostini, a committee of CCW Instructors was gathered to change the CCW policy. The Sheriff's goal was to get rid of unnecessary restrictions and make the whole process as common sense oriented as a government agency possibly can. We did exactly that. One of the foolish requirements that we got rid of was the "letters of recommendation" policy. You will not be subjected to that. Also, we lifted the restriction that was stamped on the permit stating that "THIS LICENSE IS NOT VALID OUTSIDE OF CALIFORNIA". So, now you can enjoy the reciprocity that 16 other states grant you. A couple other changes are that the permit will be on a plastic card rather than a piece of paper and you'll be allowed to have as many guns listed on the permit as will fit; we estimated 5. The most important change is simply that the Sheriff is willing to accept "self defense" as a good cause statement.

I really see Sheriff D'Agostini making every effort he can to make the CCW process as open as possible.

I hope this helps.
Wesley Lagomarsino, CA CCW Instructor - Alameda, Amador, Calaveras, El Dorado, Nevada, Placer, Plumas, Sacramento, San Joaquin, Shasta, Yolo, Yuba, the Cities of Davis, Galt, Ione, Jackson, Lodi, Manteca, Ripon, Stockton and Tracy ... and many more to come ... and Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Nevada, Maine, Oregon, Utah, Virginia & Washington

www.LFIguns.com - serving Sacramento, Reno, the Central Valley, Foot Hills and Bay Area
Old 01-09-2011, 6:43 AM

Quote:
Yes. At the request of Sheriff D'Agostini, a committee of CCW Instructors was gathered to change the CCW policy. The Sheriff's goal was to get rid of unnecessary restrictions and make the whole process as common sense oriented as a government agency possibly can. We did exactly that. One of the foolish requirements that we got rid of was the "letters of recommendation" policy. You will not be subjected to that. Also, we lifted the restriction that was stamped on the permit stating that "THIS LICENSE IS NOT VALID OUTSIDE OF CALIFORNIA". So, now you can enjoy the reciprocity that 16 other states grant you. A couple other changes are that the permit will be on a plastic card rather than a piece of paper and you'll be allowed to have as many guns listed on the permit as will fit; we estimated 5. The most important change is simply that the Sheriff is willing to accept "self defense" as a good cause statement.

I really see Sheriff D'Agostini making every effort he can to make the CCW process as open as possible.

I hope this helps.
Sure does help. Great news all around. Thanks.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:52 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Looks like the commitee did a good job. Did the concept of "good moral character" get defined yet?
Old 01-09-2011, 2:29 PM

Dexter,

Whom did you call to set up the appointment? I mailed my application last week and have not received a call back, nor was I able to find any updated info on the county website last time I looked.

Thanks.