Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters > Sacramento Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2016, 12:39 AM

Default Long range shooting

Hey all,

I just bought a Rem 700 LTR in .308 and am excited that I FINALLY have a rifle that can stretch it legs a little more than everything else I have. I would like to get into some long range shooting, but don't really know where to begin. I know Sac Valley has the 1000 yard range, but I am I correct to recall you have to be part of a club or shooting a match to go? Because I work weekends (graveyards to top it off), doing stuff when normal people do gets very difficult . Does anyone have any suggestions on where/when/how to shoot out further than 100 yards within the Sac Co/El Dorado Co area?

Hopefully once I get off the weekends I can actually get involved with some competitions and clinics and enjoy the sport a little more.

Thanks for the help!
-Scott
Old 02-05-2016, 12:52 AM

Sac Valley Shooting Center
http://www.sacvalley.org/

I'm not a member and I've shot there several times, but always with a friend who's a member. I think you can go even though you would be by yourself.

I feel your pain working nights/weekends...makes some activities tough to do.

Last edited by Rockit; 02-05-2016 at 12:58 AM..
Old 02-05-2016, 3:51 AM

Sac Valley Shooting Center http://www.sacvalley.org/ has a 300 yard range on their public range. If you want to shoot it, you have to qualify in front of an RSO on the 100 yard range, just showing that you can hit the target at 100 yards. Then I think they give you a wallet card or enter you in the computer.

If you call Sac Valley, they'll tell you the particulars of the 1000 yard range. My general understanding is that you have to be a voting member or the guest of a voting member to use the 1000 yard range, or be a member of a club holding a shoot there.

Here's a link on the members range rules http://www.sacvalley.org/files/MembersRental.pdf

Here's a link on the clubs and matches that go on for the 1000 yard (500 and 800) ranges. Look down the right hand column, figure out what you want and call the guy in charge of that club or match.

http://www.sacvalley.org/clubs.html

They don't just let you go out and shoot because there are no RSO's up there, it's not supervised, or it's self supervised, so they're picky. Entirely correctly. And they will NOT let you shoot alone anywhere else but the public range, which is RSO supervised. You always have to have at least one shooting buddy, or be part of a group to shoot on the member ranges.

BTW, word on the street is that they are going to open up some "voting member" slots, which have been shut down for a couple years. If you aren't a non-voting member, I'd hurry up and do that, because I think the non-voting members will have first dibs on full memberships. Not sure, it's not official yet. But if you call the range office, I think they'll tell you the whole deal. Or go out there and talk it over with them.
• Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
• Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
• Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
• Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
• Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.

Last edited by BonnieB; 02-05-2016 at 3:55 AM..
Old 02-05-2016, 9:31 PM

Thanks for the replies! I have shot there several times and honestly had no idea there was a 300 yard range at the public range! I guess in reality I've never really been thinking long range when I'm there since I haven't had the platform for it. I am going to start there and also look into becoming a member. Thanks again!
Old 02-06-2016, 8:29 AM
Veteran Member

Look into signing up for the mid range clinic at Sac Valley which will go out to 600yds.
Old 02-08-2016, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highpower790 View Post
Look into signing up for the mid range clinic at Sac Valley which will go out to 600yds.
Thanks! I just sent in an email and will put in for the day off when I get into work tonight! Sounds like a great class.

EDIT: Looking more closely at the post (didn't realize it was posted in the semi-auto section), it sounds like my bolt .308 would not be the appropriate platform for this class. I guess I could take an AR out for it, but I was kind of hoping to get some trigger time with my 700.

Last edited by razorscs; 02-08-2016 at 6:52 PM..
Old 02-08-2016, 8:11 PM

Get comfortable with your rifle out to 300 yards and use a Ballistic Program to estimate the trajectory out to 1000 yards. You can come out on practice days with the NCPPRC, first Saturday of each month. You are also welcome to shoot their match the next day. No membership required. For .308 Win you will want 175gr bullets, 168 do not work well at longer range.
Old 02-08-2016, 8:15 PM

I just noticed you are also in EDC. Shoot me a PM, maybe we can get together. My schedule is flexible.