Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 06-24-2018, 2:57 PM

Default Riverside county - 5 guns too much?

Was wondering if upping my gun list from 2 to 5 at next renewal would have the deputies in Riverside County look sideways at me? I've got chronic back pain which would cause me to vary what I carry depending on the day. Thanks.
Old 06-24-2018, 3:04 PM

I've got 8 on mine. Never been an issue. They wouldn't allow you to have 5 if 5 was a problem.
Old 06-25-2018, 4:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk23103 View Post
I've got 8 on mine. Never been an issue. They wouldn't allow you to have 5 if 5 was a problem.
8 in Riverside? I thought 6 was the MAX there!?
Old 06-25-2018, 6:26 AM

I have 5 on mine , I only really carry 2 but I like options. If you decide to goto 5 be prepared for a good Ole' fashioned razzing from the deputys , they don't mean anything by it and they don't discourage it they just enjoy having some fun at our expense.
Old 06-25-2018, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackyHouston View Post
8 in Riverside? I thought 6 was the MAX there!?
No, I'm in Kern where we are allowed up to 10. But I think the same logic applies. If they didn't want you to have more than the standard three allotted on the paper permit issued in California, they wouldn't give you the option.
Old 06-26-2018, 6:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk23103 View Post
No, I'm in Kern where we are allowed up to 10. But I think the same logic applies. If they didn't want you to have more than the standard three allotted on the paper permit issued in California, they wouldn't give you the option.
Riverside allows us SIX, and I list Six on my permit.

I heard Orange County is going to do like Nevada and do Wheel Gun and Semi-Auto qualifications, but am not sure how that'll work out under the current state system. - But I Like the thought
Old 06-27-2018, 2:46 AM
retired Goon

Quote:
I heard Orange County is going to do like Nevada and do Wheel Gun and Semi-Auto qualifications, but am not sure how that'll work out under the current state system. - But I Like the thought
Nevada no longer has categories.
^They got rid of them in 2013. Since then, it's qualify with a handgun and can carry any Title 1 Handgun.

CA laws requires the make, model, caliber, and serial number to be listed on the permit. [PC 26175(i)]

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 06-27-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadear dan View Post
Was wondering if upping my gun list from 2 to 5 at next renewal would have the deputies in Riverside County look sideways at me? I've got chronic back pain which would cause me to vary what I carry depending on the day. Thanks.
I would have back pain, too, if I concealed five guns!

If you are asked why five are listed, you can either:

- Decline to answer
- Explain your back pain, so you rotate firearms
- Explain changing wardrobe, so you carry the appropriate firearm
- Tell them "because I can"

.45 ACP. It's like a 9mm, except for grown-ups.
Old 06-27-2018, 12:30 PM

They'll only look at you sideways if this is one of the guns you are adding.

Old 06-27-2018, 1:34 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Riverside allows us SIX, and I list Six on my permit.

This is not likely to ever pass, because it's reasonable.
Old 06-27-2018, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesmoggod View Post
be prepared for a good Ole' fashioned razzing from the deputys , they don't mean anything by it and they don't discourage it they just enjoy having some fun at our expense.
If you are qualifying at Ben Clark, this is true. They will razz you but the deputies are all very pro-CCW. If you have them, bring them. In my qual class, the only person I happened to know in the class (didn't know he was taking it the same day) came with six guns. They joked around with him, but it was nothing big. He has six handguns, and just figured "why not". One of the guns I put my full size Sig 226 for just when I go hiking (3 times a year maybe). I'd rather have it on my permit and never need it, than the other way around. Also, what if I didn't put the Sig 226 on my permit and had it in my car less than 1000 feet from a school (like I was on my way back from the range and went to pick up my kids)? Would I be ok because I have a CCW, or not because I decided to not have it on my permit. I'd rather have it on the permit. It doesn't cost you anything. The only thing is that you will be there for the entire qualification since everyone goes through first with their first gun, then everyone with their second (if they have one), etc.

I told the wife that we are required to have six on our permit when we go to renew, so I need to buy more guns. She didn't believe me.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:47 PM

How long does it take to qualify? Do they start with a class or do you go straight to the range? How do you show up with 6 guns? That seems like a lot of stuff that you would be caring to the range.
Old 06-29-2018, 12:08 AM
Veteran Member

Ben Clark is the way to go. I did Firearms Training Associates to start and have done 2 renewals at Ben Clark...the later is much more efficient and less costly. FTA charges per gun qualified...Ben Clark doesn't care if you bring 1 or 6. I have 6 on my permit.

The process is quick. A line of 12 or so shooters will take 6 shots from 15yd, 10yd, and then 7yd. You draw from holster and make safe at each yardage.
Once that line is done, they staple up new targets and the next group goes. They repeat the process until everyone is done. The targets are huge and you simply need to be in the black. It's about the easiest thing you can do. I've shot weak hand at 7yd just to play. Jaw droppingly, I've been next to people that don't hit the paper...at all. That will be just about the only time you'll get a WTF from one of the deputies. Or if you ND or do something else stupid. They also have a limited amount of patience for mechanical issues. Blows my mind that people go there clearly having never shot the gun they're trying to qualify with...not knowing the safety or how to operate the slide.
Old 06-29-2018, 12:10 AM
Veteran Member

A basic range bag?

You don't need much ammo...18 rounds per firearm. Your holster doesn't have to fit well, so if you have multiple guns that "sorta" fit in a single holster, bring that one. You're not really drawing in the traditional sense...the holster is simply to keep your paws off the firearm until the RO calls you into the ready position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred1814 View Post
How long does it take to qualify? Do they start with a class or do you go straight to the range? How do you show up with 6 guns? That seems like a lot of stuff that you would be caring to the range.
Old 06-29-2018, 5:02 AM

Do you take 3 magazines per gun. Or are they cool with loading the magazine after each distance. I am going to take 5 pistols. I have some that I 5 mags for and some that i only have one. I guess it a good excuse to pick up some more mags.
Old 07-02-2018, 7:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango_Down View Post
They'll only look at you sideways if this is one of the guns you are adding.

If you brought that to Ben Clark, they would be more excited to see that than a dozen donuts. They are ALL gun guys (and girls).
Old 07-27-2018, 7:49 PM

that is so true I had a couple of unique guns they were passing it around having fun. One would require a trenchcoat to conceal. I put some on so I dont have to lock it up when transporting.
Old 07-29-2018, 4:15 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I qualified with 5 on a 110 degree day lol. The range officers were super cool, and only 2 of us had that many. Most had 1 or 2.