Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > 2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion Discuss California 2A related litigation and legal topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 07-13-2018, 11:02 AM
code Monkey
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireless View Post
Was this case sent back to lower courts or can we appeal to SCOTUS now?
This is definitely not the case you would want to go to scotus. This one should just be left to die
Old 07-13-2018, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member

Last thing we need is a bad case in front of scotus
Old 07-13-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenemae View Post
This is definitely not the case you would want to go to scotus. This one should just be left to die
I agree. The oral arguments were painful to watch. Instead of arguing that the law requierd an impossibility, I believe--though admittedly many disagree with me--that the attack should have focused on the certification by the AG as an abuse of discretion. In my view, the law had a delay built into it to allow for the development of the technology required to comply with the statutory mandates. The certification by the AG was supposed to be that the technology needed to comply with the statute existed and was unencumbered by patent. The fact is, as NSSF would readily agree, that such technology does not exist. The only technology that did exist stamps a number in only one location, not two as required by the statute. I've read the statute, and I still do not know why NSSF conceded that the certification was proper.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:46 AM

Plaintiffs filed a petition for rehearing today before the California Supreme Court. Anyone have a copy of it?
Old 07-16-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbodaggit View Post
Plaintiffs filed a petition for rehearing today before the California Supreme Court. Anyone have a copy of it?
En banc motions at the federal appellate level have a low probability of success. Anyone track the success rate for the CA Supremes?
Old 07-16-2018, 12:43 PM

We all know that if a technology doesn't exist even though the idea of it does, if it presently is not feasible said law should not exist.

I simply cannot wrap my head around any judge's ruling that if it is thought up it must be possible so therefore the law stands.

Judges like this should be removed never to have a ruling on any bench again.

The state had time to develop this technology with manufacturers and failed. The law should go away with it by default.
Old 07-16-2018, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.J.F. View Post
We all know that if a technology doesn't exist even though the idea of it does, if it presently is not feasible said law should not exist.

I simply cannot wrap my head around any judge's ruling that if it is thought up it must be possible so therefore the law stands.

Judges like this should be removed never to have a ruling on any bench again.

The state had time to develop this technology with manufacturers and failed. The law should go away with it by default.
That is not what the decision says. They said that the rule of impossibility is not a substantive rule of law but merely an aid to the interpretation of statutes. It is not a mechanism for overturning a statute, as NSSF had argued. The problem for NSSF was that the statute involved is not ambiguous, and rules of interpretation of statutes are of no relevance.
Old 07-16-2018, 6:27 PM
NRA Member, CRPA Member,
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruOil View Post
That is not what the decision says. They said that the rule of impossibility is not a substantive rule of law but merely an aid to the interpretation of statutes. It is not a mechanism for overturning a statute, as NSSF had argued. The problem for NSSF was that the statute involved is not ambiguous, and rules of interpretation of statutes are of no relevance.
This.

It’s analogous to Murphy’s law: “If there’s more than one way to do something, and one of those ways will result in catastrophe, someone will do it that way.”

“If there’s more than one way to interpret a law, and one of those ways results in an impossibility, that isn’t the correct way to interpret the law.”

Neither Murphy’s law nor the rule of impossibility come into play for a design nor law that is simply sh**.
Old 07-16-2018, 6:51 PM
Agent 86
CGN Contributor

From today's NSSF email:
"NSSF FILES MOTION IN MICROSTAMPING CASE … NSSF has filed a motion asking the California Supreme Court to allow for re-argument in the foundation's microstamping statute challenge, following the court’s recent dismissal of the complaint, that the law seeks the impossible. The motion is based chiefly on any future impossibility claim or defense to the enforcement of the statute."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadelgrad87 View Post
I don't really care, I just like to argue.
Old 07-17-2018, 4:15 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.J.F. View Post
Really?

Try this one on, it is legal, for illegals, to take the bar and practice law in California.

That is a mind blower.

So after that, I knew we were done. Nothing surprises me now other than the fact we haven't been asked to turn them all in yet.
Old 07-17-2018, 4:31 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

The Marxists own the educational system and this is the fruit it bears.

Let us hope the recent SCOTUS ruling weakens the Teachers Unions.
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez
Old 08-05-2018, 11:55 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I finally got to read the briefs, and this is a strange case indeed. Instead of arguing that the AG abused her discretion in certifying that the technology existed that was generally available that complied with the law, the NSSF instead mounted a facial challenge to the statute on the basis that complying with the technological mandate of stamping in two locations is impossible. Therefore, the argument goes, the statute is invalid since it requires an impossibility. According to the maxims of jurisprudence, the law can never require impossibilities. The court of appeal agreed. Now we have to see what the Supremes will do. But then, I do not think that the maxims of jurisprudence are "aspirational."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen_B View Post
Just saw the orals and don't feel to good about our side. I'm a bit late to this case, but I just don't understand why the maxim of impossibility is the angle being argued? I suppose my issue is I don't see how they can prove dual-site micro stamping is an "impossibility". Expensive, reduced safety/functionality, questionable profitability, a destruction of image/reputation of a gun mfg, stupid business decision, highly likely a product failure, sure... but I think strictly technologically "impossible" is a term too far. This isn't comparable to Lazarus and raising the dead. One of the Justices even acknowledged that expensive etc etc does not mean impossible.

I understand that going after the constitutionality, while purer and cleaner, would likely end poorly at the 9th. I also understand they left the door open to redirect on constitutionality. What am I missing here with this approach?

I was always under the impression that this would be argued that California has no true “compelling and extraordinary condition” to enforce such a obscure and unique law in the face of Federal laws about firearms, where requiring such an onerous and nearly impossible feature to achieve, neither promotes features of safety (the original reason for that bill SB-15 that led to the Roster in the first place) or proves to be a useful tool for law-enforcement to solve crimes.

What is the indisputable and 100% reliable perceived result, that is so much a benefit outside of current Federal laws on common firearms, that California is so special to get a pass on applying its opinion of an unproven technology, one that is not available at all, that it gets to make its own regulations that ban the sale of common firearms that are available to nearly all other law-abiding US Citizens outside of California?

It's a ruse technology merely being used to reduce/decrease sales of otherwise safe and common firearms. Microstamping as Mike Feuer concocted it:

🔴 This doesn't make guns safer to use.

🔴 There is enough evidence that the microstamping feature can easily be defeated in minutes to seconds by the swap of a firing pin, barrel, whole slide, or merely a file and/or Dremel.

🔴 It does little to nothing to give investigators any kind of "tool" to investigate crimes because this would be the first thing any criminal would do no matter how they come into possession of that firearm.

🔴 Without a doubt, the majority of even law-abiding gun owners would do any of the above as well, guaranteed, because it's not akin to destroying the serial number on a firearm. I would without a second thought.

Then there is the factor that Microstamping itself is not available on common firearms. In fact, it's not available at all. So this essentially bans the ability to acquire common firearms that are available to nearly every law-abiding citizen outside of the state of California.

Doesn't that fly in the face of Heller, and prohibits common firearms? These aren't falsely vilified "assault-weapons" with uncommon features which they've used in the past to uphold erroneous assault-weapon bans, so they can't use that angle.

These are common firearms being banned because California wishes to apply an unfounded belief in a disproved and easily defeated technology. Meanwhile that intent is less about keeping people safe and helping law-enforcement than it is solely about banning the sale of semi-automatic handguns with a smoke-and-mirrors caveat.

I also am quite sure, like with so many other Anti-2nd Amendment laws, that those writing them have little to no knowledge of firearm technology and merely author such legislation with the motive to prohibit, reduce, or simply ban the legal sale and ownership of firearms any way they can.

Likewise, those who sit to opine and judge the credibility of these unjust and anti-constitutional laws often lack the same understanding of firearms and the fake technology that is presented to them.

I could describe the legitimacy of technology, capability, results, and efficiency of an adjustable ray "stun-gun" comparable to those in the fictional Star Trek depicted 50 years ago on network TV, and these sots would pass a bill on the merits of that idea alone; whether actually available, capable, practical efficacy, or even how you build it is beyond their need to understand or even give concern.

Old 08-05-2018, 12:47 PM

My problem with the case was they decided to take the approach on microstamping’s technical feasibility and whether the state can indeed pass impossible statutes. It’s a flawed approach IMO.

Now if the constitutionality approach was taken, you can say:

1) Microstamping has not been proven to be a public safety benefit. The counter argument will be with irrelevant subjective evidence, and primarily argued that it’s a forecasted benefit to aid law enforcement and reduce violence in aggregate. Weak counter argument on its face, but combined with the fact the technology doesn’t exist, the burden is on the state (not plaintiff) to show a compelling case for claiming it’s public benefit justification.

2) Little to no public safety benefit does not justify infringing on a constitutional right. Rights are not unlimited, but the line crossing into infringement is lower for rights than other civil privledges. If the State cannot provide a strong justification, it has no standing to infringe on the 2A so blatantly.

3) Heller made it clear that firearms in common use are protected. Modern handguns available to the rest of the country clearly pass that test. This is the supplemental wrapper to show that the requirement does indeed infringe on the 2A.

Some might be thinking, “the State isn’t the plaintiff and have no requirement to prove anything”. True, but if the plaintiffs approach is the 2A has been infringed upon without any good reason, the State must defend their justification.

In any case, I’ve never had high expectations the 9th would rule in accordance with the constitution on 2A cases. SCOTUS is our only hope.
Old 08-06-2018, 8:15 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALI-gula View Post
I also am quite sure, like with so many other Anti-2nd Amendment laws, that those writing them have little to no knowledge of firearm technology and merely author such legislation with the motive to prohibit, reduce, or simply ban the legal sale and ownership of firearms any way they can.
That's clearly the goal - technical accuracy is not required to get re-elected.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 08-06-2018, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
That's clearly the goal - technical accuracy is not required to get re-elected.
I sometimes wonder if another goal is to have pro-2nd amendment citizens leave the state.
That actually accomplishes two goals:
1) People that are pro-gun leave the state and take their guns
2) Although, not the rule, most pro-gun people tend to lean right. Having right leaning citizens leave makes state law makers happy too.

Safety Rule #1:
1) Treat all tweakers like they are loaded
Old 08-07-2018, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevfin View Post
I sometimes wonder if another goal is to have pro-2nd amendment citizens leave the state.
2) Although, not the rule, most pro-gun people tend to lean right. Having right leaning citizens leave makes state law makers happy too.
Could very well be the case... I’ve had enough and am only staying long enough for my wife to finish her degree and were gone to Texas.
Old 08-07-2018, 5:40 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevfin View Post
I believe that is the primary goal.

However, I am not going anywhere.
Old 09-25-2019, 8:06 PM

Who certified that the technology is viable and available for any manufacturers and can't someone just patent the design and shelve it like the big boys do? Anyone know where this lawsuit stands today? more guns dropping from the roster, G26.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELBong View Post
Interesting, the marking requirement states:

31910. (7) (A) Commencing January 1, 2010, for all semiautomatic pistols that are not already listed on the roster pursuant to Section 32015, it is not designed and equipped with a microscopic array of characters that identify the make, model, and serial number of the pistol, etched or otherwise imprinted in two or more places on the interior surface or internal working parts of the pistol, and that are transferred by imprinting on each cartridge case when the firearm is fired, provided that the Department of Justice certifies that the technology used to create the imprint is available to more than one manufacturer unencumbered by any patent restrictions.

The firing pin never touches the case. It strikes the primer, which excludes it from being a part that could imprint a cartridge case.
Old 09-25-2019, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmerrell View Post
Who certified that the technology is viable and available for any manufacturers and can't someone just patent the design and shelve it like the big boys do? Anyone know where this lawsuit stands today? more guns dropping from the roster, G26.
The statute required a certification by the Attorney General. At the time, that happened to be (now Senator and failing Presidential candidate) Kamala Harris.
Old 09-26-2019, 3:20 PM

Quote:
"...............more guns dropping from the roster, G26."
Proponents and authors of the law knew very well the technology was/is unavailable and unworkable. Its tru but unstated true purpose is to slowly but surely over time whittle the roster down to only a handful of revolvers. My guess is that when that happens the leftists who run the state will then seek to impose the law on revolvers.
Old 09-26-2019, 4:14 PM
Agent 86
CGN Contributor

Quote:
- As mentioned above, Kamala Harris.
- The original patent owner let his claim expire.
CGF renewed the patents in CGF's name and held them for another year.
But once the manufacturers all threw in the towel since nobody can make the microstamping work, it was pointless to keep holding the patents.
- The suit is over unless appealed to the Supreme Court if you read through this thread.
- All semi auto pistols will eventually drop off the Roster.
Without a change in the law, you might want to think about revolvers, derringers and other guns using late 19th century designs as that will be all that is available anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadelgrad87 View Post
I don't really care, I just like to argue.
Old 09-26-2019, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojisan View Post
But once the manufacturers all threw in the towel since nobody can make the microstamping work, it was pointless to keep holding the patents.
- The suit is over unless appealed to the Supreme Court if you read through this thread.
Without a change in the law, you might want to think about revolvers, derringers and other guns using late 19th century designs as that will be all that is available anymore.
Yes, CGF bought the patent, but the inventor abandoned it so as to allow his technology to be "generally available" to manufacturers. AS soon as he did that, Kamala certified that the preconditions to the law existed and the roster went into effect. No mention was made that that technology did not meet the statutory requirements, but that didn't matter at all. As said, this case is dead.
Old 09-30-2019, 8:27 AM

The law is disingenuous at best. I've heard lawmakers basically laughing on camera saying "if the gun doesn't exist you can't buy it" It's like saying if we can't get what we want (gun control) we'll cheat.

I'll move to another state or PPT before I cave in to their stupid laws. There has to be a way to overturn this.

By the way anyone who is charging double for an off roster firearm in CA seems to be capitalizing off the anti-gun roster law. Too bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojisan View Post
Old 09-30-2019, 8:31 AM

Thanks for that information, good to know the background. Kamala Harris is the Devil!

Quote:
Yes, CGF bought the patent, but the inventor abandoned it so as to allow his technology to be "generally available" to manufacturers. AS soon as he did that, Kamala certified that the preconditions to the law existed and the roster went into effect. No mention was made that that technology did not meet the statutory requirements, but that didn't matter at all. As said, this case is dead.
Old 09-30-2019, 8:26 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch3 View Post
I believe that is the primary goal.

However, I am not going anywhere.

...That and to also dry up the supply of the variety of firearms you can buy so that enthusiasts like us will not be apt to buy anymore and in the long term the viability of the retail market whose thin choice of products would become saturated eventually resulting in fewer and fewer retailers carrying such products.