Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 01-07-2013, 8:36 AM

Default Screwed over

I got screwed over on Gunroker.com by a dealer FFL out of Louisville, KY. I bought a saiga 12 shotgun a few weeks ago. He accepted my buy now bid for $759.00. Then he sent me a acceptance email the next day. He then called me and said, "No, I can't sell you this gun. The price was a mistake". I called him on it and he became arguementative, swearing at me. He told me to go to walmart. NICE guy! Buyer beware of "Money solutions". His company is Auctions ASAP. He's a glorified pawnbroker. Scammer! ANYWAY, I am looking for a saiga 12 at a resaonable price. Good luck I guess. let me know. I emailed Gunbroker about the complaint. Good luck with that too. Im sooooo pissed! Price gouging.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:37 PM

Doesn't surprise me.. Same thing going on at Calguns.

Guys are playing the field when they get several Pm's. Plenty of posts complaining about the same price gouging.

They're acting as if this was an auction site.

Good luck....
Old 01-07-2013, 12:51 PM

I 2nd that about people on here, in the last week alone I've had 3 people back out of agreed prices for stuff after someone else offered them more... It's always surprising what people do to make a profit

"I own several firearms, none of them are "toys". I hear a "bump" in the middle of the night...I am not reaching for my Xbox controller..."

Originally Posted by CoopsDad...

"Taking a Mosin to a smith for a new barrel is like taking a cat to the vet- easier and cheaper to just get another. "
Old 01-07-2013, 12:52 PM

Good looking out though Jonnyringo

"I own several firearms, none of them are "toys". I hear a "bump" in the middle of the night...I am not reaching for my Xbox controller..."

Originally Posted by CoopsDad...

"Taking a Mosin to a smith for a new barrel is like taking a cat to the vet- easier and cheaper to just get another. "
Old 01-07-2013, 2:42 PM
Calguns Addict

It sucks but its part of life unfortunately. Unlike the classifieds on here though gb purchases are a contract. Good luck with your endeavour Johnny.
Old 01-07-2013, 2:45 PM
Veteran Member

So many greedy people out there. Once you agree to something, you go through with it. Grrr.
Old 01-07-2013, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xscmurcielago View Post
I 2nd that about people on here, in the last week alone I've had 3 people back out of agreed prices for stuff after someone else offered them more... It's always surprising what people do to make a profit
What the hell? Can't you give them negative feedback for that? That's not right at all. I find it funny that most of these over priced stuff are posted by new members. Registered just to make a quick buck. I haven't paid on any price gouging yet. $40-$50 a Pmag? I'm not buying it, but all the newer members are. LOL!
Old 01-07-2013, 2:53 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xscmurcielago View Post
Honor and integrity have taken a backseat to a "better price".
Old 01-07-2013, 3:02 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Sadly it may get worse before it gets better.
Old 01-07-2013, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faded View Post
Sadly it may get worse before it gets better.
I'm going to LMAO if these people over paid just because of panic and nothing happens. $3,000 for a Colt or S&W AR15 is mind blowing, but there's always a fool willing to pay during these desperate times.
Old 01-08-2013, 4:51 AM

Gun Broker isn't going to do anything about it. Needless to say, I am still looking to get a Saiga 12. No luck. Atlantic Firearms is still out.
Old 01-08-2013, 2:01 PM

Leave him negative feedback do it all in capital letters include that not only did he not honor the price he accepted but used profanity and acted in a unprofessional manner .

Not that this is your fault in any way shape or form but I usually contact a seller before even bidding just to confirm their info and make sure they will sell to CA. this way you have more then enough evidence to give when reporting them .

FOR SALE ! MAGPUL GRIP - MAGPUL STOCK - MAGPUL RVG : CLICK HERE ! : https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1637308
Old 01-09-2013, 8:04 PM

we should post sellers names on here from gunbroker.com that scam people one thread with all their names so people know what to look out for
Old 01-09-2013, 8:15 PM

Yes I agree people play the market way too much. I accepted a trade just today, a better deal came along that I could have really used more,but I kept my word on trade. Wish more people would I know I was used last week so someone could get more for an upper. Thank you Neouser for being a great guy. We all need to boycott sellers like that on gunbroker.
Old 01-09-2013, 8:27 PM

How is this scamming or screwing over the buyer again?
If he screwed up on the price then well.... Yea the cool thing to do would've been to honor the price... But, if he Durante want to choose to lose Monday I don't see how that's a scam or screwing a buyer.
Old 01-09-2013, 9:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Give him bad feedback and move on with your life.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcours View Post
Doesn't surprise me.. Same thing going on at Calguns.

Guys are playing the field when they get several Pm's. Plenty of posts complaining about the same price gouging.

They're acting as if this was an auction site.

Good luck....
+1. However, there are still some good people out there too. Good luck on the hunt.
2. PW 800B converted to 800C (12 gauge) with lots of accessories and upgrades
3. Hornady 366 (12 gauge)
Old 01-10-2013, 4:44 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpyoldretiredcop View Post
Give him bad feedback and move on with your life.

This........
Old 02-10-2013, 10:16 AM

Johnnyringos claims of getting screwed are a little exaggerated to say the least. We are the dealer that had that firearm and one of our guys made an honest mistake listing the item on gunbroker. He used an old listing and relisted it as a fixed price but it should have been an auction with the price as the starting price. If you’ve sold on gunbroker you know that you can’t change the method from fixed price to auction when relisting an item which he didn’t realize. So with the mistake it sold before someone could see the mistake and correct it. So Robert/Johnnyringo called us and at that time I personally tried to explain it was a mistake but he wasn’t having any of that. He started getting abusive and demanded to speak to the owner/manager well to his surprise he had been speaking with me all along.
We’ve all seen the crazies at the Walmart customer counter and other places like that where the customers are acting a fool. For some reason we’ve grown to tolerate that in our society.
On the charge of price gouging I'm not sure how that applies, when you sell something at auction you allow the buyer to determine the price and its not like we put a gun to anyone’s head, we dont even know the internet buyers. With the corrupt politicians trying to ban all these guns along with the manufacturers not being able to meet the demand prices will go up. If as consumers we don’t understand that it’s the simple supply and demand curve we need to read an economic book maybe one from Milton Freidman would be a good start.
As a buyer does anyone realize the fact that when our stores are bare and inventory is nonexistent like right now that our overhead continues, employee wages are still there. Landlords aren’t coming in and saying oh don’t worry about it because rents free until you can get product in to sell whenever that is. The electric, phone & water company still sends you bills and they don’t care. As a result of this frenzy it will undoubtedly cause many local gun shops to close.
We would love to be able to sell guns under cost because of a mistake but I don’t know how you do that Johnnyringo…..A gun that we can’t even get at a price close to that. Honest mistakes will happen from time to time….
And Johnnyringo we are not a pawnbroker, dont try to make us out to be something that what we are not, making these false characterizations trying to demonize us. We are just a small business struggling in this Obama economy.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:24 AM

Mistakes happen. It would be nice if you are shown some sort of appreciation.
However, it should not be expected...
Old 02-10-2013, 11:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneysolutions View Post
We are the dealer that had that firearm and one of our guys made an honest mistake listing the item on gunbroker.
Sorry, but having been in business for over 30 years, I know only too well how mistakes happen. Problem is, it was YOUR mistake, not his. I agree there should have been some dialog between the two of you to make the error less painful, but in the end, you made the mistake and should have honored the deal. The money loss from people who will now second guess doing business with you may far exceed what you may have lost on the deal.

Unfortunate situation.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogoes49 View Post
we should post sellers names on here from gunbroker.com that scam people one thread with all their names so people know what to look out for
bad idea, as appealing as it sounds. blacklists are always open to abuse. there will be vindictive buyers who will list honest sellers there simply because they didn't get their price, or use the threat of the list to try to bully a better price.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:52 AM

So your employee made a mistake, and you punish the consumer? The right thing to do is sell the gun at the price YOUR COMPANY listed. If that's 50% of your cost, its your problem. Doing the right thing with some integrity will pay off in the long run.

What happens in a retail store if you mismark an item? Guess what, you are obligated to sell it for that price.

Nobody forced you to be in the gun business, and this is part of being the owner, you get to eat mistakes your employees make. If you can't afford to swallow a few bucks for a mistake YOU made, then it sounds like your ship is already sunk.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyringo124 View Post
I got screwed over on Gunroker.com by a dealer FFL out of Louisville, KY. I bought a saiga 12 shotgun a few weeks ago. He accepted my buy now bid for $759.00. Then he sent me a acceptance email the next day. He then called me and said, "No, I can't sell you this gun. The price was a mistake". I called him on it and he became arguementative, swearing at me. He told me to go to walmart. NICE guy! Buyer beware of "Money solutions". His company is Auctions ASAP. He's a glorified pawnbroker. Scammer! ANYWAY, I am looking for a saiga 12 at a resaonable price. Good luck I guess. let me know. I emailed Gunbroker about the complaint. Good luck with that too. Im sooooo pissed! Price gouging.
One just got put on the shelf at Turners in Pasadena, 800.00, this was just yesterday, call to see if it is still there.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Johnnyringos claims of getting screwed are a little exaggerated to say the least. We are the dealer that had that firearm and one of our guys made an honest mistake listing the item on gunbroker. He used an old listing and relisted it as a fixed price but it should have been an auction with the price as the starting price. If you’ve sold on gunbroker you know that you can’t change the method from fixed price to auction when relisting an item which he didn’t realize. So with the mistake it sold before someone could see the mistake and correct it. So Robert/Johnnyringo called us and at that time I personally tried to explain it was a mistake but he wasn’t having any of that. He started getting abusive and demanded to speak to the owner/manager well to his surprise he had been speaking with me all along.
We’ve all seen the crazies at the Walmart customer counter and other places like that where the customers are acting a fool. For some reason we’ve grown to tolerate that in our society.
On the charge of price gouging I'm not sure how that applies, when you sell something at auction you allow the buyer to determine the price and its not like we put a gun to anyone’s head, we dont even know the internet buyers. With the corrupt politicians trying to ban all these guns along with the manufacturers not being able to meet the demand prices will go up. If as consumers we don’t understand that it’s the simple supply and demand curve we need to read an economic book maybe one from Milton Freidman would be a good start.
As a buyer does anyone realize the fact that when our stores are bare and inventory is nonexistent like right now that our overhead continues, employee wages are still there. Landlords aren’t coming in and saying oh don’t worry about it because rents free until you can get product in to sell whenever that is. The electric, phone & water company still sends you bills and they don’t care. As a result of this frenzy it will undoubtedly cause many local gun shops to close.
We would love to be able to sell guns under cost because of a mistake but I don’t know how you do that Johnnyringo…..A gun that we can’t even get at a price close to that. Honest mistakes will happen from time to time….
And Johnnyringo we are not a pawnbroker, dont try to make us out to be something that what we are not, making these false characterizations trying to demonize us. We are just a small business struggling in this Obama economy.

So? You screwed up. Man up and take the hit for your mistake. You made a contract with the man and you are in breach.

Last edited by hakenlag; 02-10-2013 at 12:22 PM.. Reason: Apparently I can't spell.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:23 PM
Banned

Some of us "new" people have bought guns the normal way for the past 50 years and are now forced into this cess pool market by the circumstances. I am so tired of being called a fool by the "senior" members here.

I guess if the moderators of this forum care, they will stop the few a@@holes on this site.

As far as the listing goes, I won't be bidding on anything from this seller and thanks for the warning. I own a business and I eat mistakes my employees make. It's buyer beware on gunbrokers. I usually look up all the items that a seller has listed and if I find a pattern of strawman bidders, I stay away. It's pretty easy to see that a bidder is bidding on all the items from one seller but on none of the same item from others sellers!
Old 02-10-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Johnnyringos...screwed...to say the least.
We...made an honest mistake. So with the mistake it sold before someone could see the mistake and correct it.
Robert/Johnnyringo called us and...I personally...wasn’t having any of that.

On the charge of price gouging...we...internet...corrupt...guns...prices. ..up.

As a buyer..wages are still there.

We would love to be... Honest...
And Johnnyringo we are not a pawnbroker...we are not...trying to demonize...Obama...
BLAH BLAH BLAH.....
JUST MAKE IT RIGHT TO ROBERT/JOHNNYRINGO SOMEHOW....
IF.. He called you and said he COULDNT pay for whatever he bid or bought on your GB listing YOU would OBLIGATE him to PAY and make it right to YOU...
Old 02-10-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssDee View Post
BLAH BLAH BLAH.....
JUST MAKE IT RIGHT TO ROBERT/JOHNNYRINGO SOMEHOW....
IF.. He called you and said he COULDNT pay for whatever he bid or bought on your GB listing YOU would OBLIGATE him to PAY and make it right to YOU...
You must have never sold on gunbroker. We have about one every two or three weeks that backs out of a transaction just like ebay and no gunbroker doesnt make it right, if we jump throught their hoops we might get our sellers fees refunded in about 45 days. Not sure what imaginery power they have to force a transaction to completion, maybe the same one ebay has.

And no we dont have the power to force someone to complete a transaction and have actually let those that ask to back out as long as they are honest and have a reasonable excuse. Just for the record gunbroker doesnt have a mechanism to recover the fees without reporting them as a non-paying bidder so then we take a loss. We focus on honest and reasonable....as a society have we moved past that?
Old 02-10-2013, 1:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Yup, it's on the seller if there was a mistake made on their auction. I remember selling a pretty big Star Wars vehicle on ebay. Well, I neglected to state that shipping outside of the continental '48 would cost more and would have to be negotiated at auction's closing. Sure enough, someone from Europe bought my item, and even though I ended up losing my shirt over the shipping cost I had to honor my end of the deal because it was MY AUCTION, MY MISTAKE...

I don't always save the world, but when I do, it's in 24 hours or less...
Old 02-10-2013, 1:14 PM

Quote:
You must have never sold on gunbroker. We have about one every two or three weeks that backs out of a transaction just like ebay and no gunbroker doesnt make it right, if we jump throught their hoops we might get our sellers fees refunded in about 45 days. Not sure what imaginery power they have to force a transaction to completion, maybe the same one ebay has.

And no we dont have the power to force someone to complete a transaction and have actually let those that ask to back out as long as they are honest and have a reasonable excuse. Just for the record gunbroker doesnt have a mechanism to recover the fees without reporting them as a non-paying bidder so then we take a loss. We focus on honest and reasonable....as a society have we moved past that?
So WHAT ARE YOU/DID you OFFER to Robert/Johnnyringo to "MAKE IT RIGHT"???
Or is he In fact SCREWED BY YOUR "mistake"...(which we all see as a sort of "price gouging" for you by selling it to someone for more $$$)
Old 02-10-2013, 1:26 PM
Calguns Addict

My son posted his AR last week, a guy from Santa Cruz said he would take it for the asking price, 1300 dollars. My son got several PM's asking to accept their higher offers. Bottom line, and proud to say, he honored the deal he made and everything went off without a hitch. Some of you may say there is a one letter difference between champ and chump, but in reality, the difference is honorable or dishonorable. I noticed the past few month, more and more folks here aren't in this forum for anything more than making a buck.
Old 02-10-2013, 1:29 PM

I'm a business owner and if I or someone else in my company mark a wrong price we honer it. Bad business on you part 100%
Old 02-10-2013, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonis View Post
So your employee made a mistake, and you punish the consumer? The right thing to do is sell the gun at the price YOUR COMPANY listed. If that's 50% of your cost, its your problem. Doing the right thing with some integrity will pay off in the long run.

What happens in a retail store if you mismark an item? Guess what, you are obligated to sell it for that price.

Nobody forced you to be in the gun business, and this is part of being the owner, you get to eat mistakes your employees make. If you can't afford to swallow a few bucks for a mistake YOU made, then it sounds like your ship is already sunk.
First how is he actually being punished? Is it punishment that he pay the market price like everyone else and not take advantage of an honest mistake. I might also add we never asked him for anything more. We simply explained that it would be relisted correctly. I assume that’s punishment somehow.

Actually the courts have concluded that honest mistakes like this can not bind the seller to a transaction or the buyer in the reverse. Also could you imagine if you had a disgruntled employee and he marked down all your products or altered you ad for the local newspaper?????

And no our ship is not sunk but if we made poor business decisions it would be.

Being in business yes from time to time we absorb the many mistakes of employees and owners alike however this was an honest mistake that didn’t harm anyone and that the transaction never completed nor did it have to be reversed. I'm sure your employer has covered any mistakes you have made that couldn’t be reversed without harm. Lets go further...
For an example let’s say as an employee of some contractor you quote the construction of a 50 story office building at a mere $500,000 as you just made a typing error when it should have been $500,000,000. So you left out a couple zeros, are you saying that the mistake is not relevant? So you are arguing that the firm should be held responsible and actually try and build it for the lower unreasonable amount because it wasn’t the buyers fault you left out the zeros? Even though the buyer has not paid anything towards this amount it’s a done deal in your opinion?? You would say that somehow integrity is at issue and I would agree as it would be a lack of integrity (defined as the quality of possessing and steadfastly adhering to high moral principals or professional standards). The moral position as I see it with all the stakeholders factored in is or at least what would be the right thing to do would be to recognize the mistake for what it was and that it was a mistake and hold no one to harm. As you no doubt define the term it would have meant closing the firm laying off all the hard working employees regardless of the hardship it puts on their families because of your typing mistake. I don’t believe you would want to live in a world where your definition of integrity existed and the unintended consequences of adhering to it would create. No matter how perfect you are you wouldnt be employable and...actually no employers would exist.
Isnt the internet a wonderful place!
Old 02-10-2013, 1:59 PM
Banned

I fail to see why you even posted in this thread if your mind is already made up. It's clear to all who have read this thread how you choose to run your business. It will be up to them and only them to decide if they want to become a customer of yours.

Your court cases as examples are sporadic at best. If I got your 16 year old daughter pregnant, would you accept an "I made a mistake" excuse, and let me off the hook? I doubt it. And I know the courts wouldn't.

That's the wonders of free enterprise, however. You aren't forced to sell to anyone, and no one is forced to buy from you. The whole thing hinges on service and strong business ethics.

Good luck.
Old 02-10-2013, 2:06 PM

One, your analogy is silly, a bid would have been placed prior to a contract being signed, so something of that magnitude couldn't occur. It's a laughable grasp at straws.

In this case, you wrote the contract and put it out for anyone to accept, so you should hold up your end of the deal. Judging that another dealer has the same item for a mere $40 more tells me this shouldn't be a bank breaking good faith follow through.

I can guarantee one thing, anyone who reads this thread won't send a single dollar in your direction. That, I'm sure will cost you much more than the $40.

Continuing to defend a losing position only makes you look like someone with no integrity and further reinforces that I wouldn't want to do business with your company. So, congratulations on turning one bad sale into a long list of non-sales, and that, is definitely not smart business.
Old 02-10-2013, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssDee View Post
So WHAT ARE YOU/DID you OFFER to Robert/Johnnyringo to "MAKE IT RIGHT"???
Or is he In fact SCREWED BY YOUR "mistake"...(which we all see as a sort of "price gouging" for you by selling it to someone for more $$$)
Let me try pointing out the error in your thinking without pissing you off. You go down to the corner 7eleven or whatever it is in your area and you purchase $5 in gas and $1 candy bar. You give the cashier a ten dollar bill and wouldn’t you know she gives change for a $20 bill. So you've actually made money on this cashiers mistake. Now if she had realized it before she put that money in your hand, you no doubt with our situation with johnnyringo being the case study, you would be arguing that you had been screwed out of that $14 in change she was about to hand you. She had screwed you god forbid, I cant imagine what she had just done to you. Can I agree that she should have given you that $14 in change and your gas and candy bar for free.....no I'm intelligent and honest enough to say it was a simple mistake and no you are not entitled to profit from someone else’s mistake? Our entitlement society is destroying our country and it seems faster every day. What happened to the honest people and those not trying to take advantage of others? Where have those people gone. It’s a danger that we are selling firearms to the people that are "entitled"…..isnt it
Old 02-10-2013, 2:15 PM
Banned

I have a new shovel I'll sell you for $10.

At the rate you're digging the hole you're in, you're going to need it pretty quick.
Old 02-10-2013, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Let me try pointing out the error in your thinking without pissing you off. You go down to the corner 7eleven or whatever it is in your area and you purchase $5 in gas and $1 candy bar. You give the cashier a ten dollar bill and wouldn’t you know she gives change for a $20 bill. So you've actually made money on this cashiers mistake. Now if she had realized it before she put that money in your hand, you no doubt with our situation with johnnyringo being the case study, you would be arguing that you had been screwed out of that $14 in change she was about to hand you. She had screwed you god forbid, I cant imagine what she had just done to you. Can I agree that she should have given you that $14 in change and your gas and candy bar for free.....no I'm intelligent and honest enough to say it was a simple mistake and no you are not entitled to profit from someone else’s mistake? Our entitlement society is destroying our country and it seems faster every day. What happened to the honest people and those not trying to take advantage of others? Where have those people gone. It’s a danger that we are selling firearms to the people that are "entitled"…..isnt it
No, the analogy is she had the candybar with a pricetag for $0.50, and told him to F-off and leave the store if he didn't want to pay a price which was different than what was printed on the item.

It has nothing to do with making change.
Old 02-10-2013, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Thanks for posting in this thread, it's always nice to know what vendors to avoid.
Old 02-10-2013, 2:51 PM

Quote:
In MY way of thinking I would of given the cashier BACK the $10 and told her to be careful with her cash handling....
I guess this is even more of an issue you just made...

It's called INTEGRITY.... There Mr. Moneysolutions....
You should REALLY look it up......
Some of us have it and some of YOU DON'T....

Pissing me off? No. Not at all...
My $ going your way? NO. NOT AT ALL.

It's a good thing for this post too.. I just recently started buying from Gunbroker. I've been warned!