Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 12-31-2014, 4:12 PM

Default $300 Mausers at Big 5.

M48 Yugos. I checked out a couple different Big 5s. One had 2 in stock but one had a cracked stock and one had a cracked hand guard. The cracked handguard looked freshly park'd bit not matching. Cracked stock was all matching but about 60% bluing. Both had strong rifling but cosmo so I couldn't see in detail. The 3rd at another was GTG fresh park and all matching.
All had the Yugo crest. $300 is the price. Is this any good in todays market? I asked for a break for the cracked stock but he said he had to check with corporate to make the decision. I really want a K31 but a good Mauser could find it's way into my safe.
Old 12-31-2014, 5:28 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Once you factor in tax and dros, you're looking at ~350. There are better deals to be found locally and online, RGUNS has nice Czech VZ24's for $250, I just bought a matching Yugo M48 on gunboards for $225 shipped with bayo and sling. Better deals are around, but only attractive if you have a C&R + COE.

Either way, the M48 is a fine rifle if you can find one in exceptional condition!
Old 12-31-2014, 5:45 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

I looked at one at the Pomona store and another at the San Dimas store. Both had (1) in stock. Both were in identical condition:

Numbers matching
Bluing 20% or less
Solid stocks but aesthetically rough.
Bores looked good but hard to tell for sure due to cosmolene.
No accessories at all. Rifle and box.

If you are a FFL03 / COE holder these are not a good deal. As 81 said above, better deals are available. If you don't do C&R, then these are worth the money because they are VERY GOOD rifles and probably built better than the low end modern bolt guns Big 5 specializes in.

PS This thread is a dupe.
Old 12-31-2014, 7:11 PM
Veteran Member

I'm right between about a dozen big 5's so I'm definitely going to check them out. I'm not a c&r holder so local availability does have it's merits. Just not sure this is mauser I really want. Guess i'll decide once I find a nice one and handle it a bit.
Old 12-31-2014, 7:52 PM

Adam, the ones I looked at were smooth as silk. They wouldn't let me handle it without the trigger lock so I couldn't get a feel for the trigger.
Old 12-31-2014, 8:52 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMarquez View Post
Adam, the ones I looked at were smooth as silk. They wouldn't let me handle it without the trigger lock so I couldn't get a feel for the trigger.
That sucks. Both stores I was in the sales manager handed me the rifle and let me inspect them, including removing the bolt to look down the barrel. They should have the common sense to realize that anybody buying one of these old C&R's is going to want to inspect it as thoroughly as possible.
Old 12-31-2014, 8:57 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
I'm right between about a dozen big 5's so I'm definitely going to check them out. I'm not a c&r holder so local availability does have it's merits. Just not sure this is mauser I really want. Guess i'll decide once I find a nice one and handle it a bit.
If I was not a C&R holder and had any interest in Mausers whatsoever I would buy one of these without hesitation. They are really neat rifles and in typical Yugo fashion are sturdily built. I guess I am a Mauser snob because I only want Yugos that look like this one:

Or this one:
Old 12-31-2014, 9:24 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah, I'm mostly looking for a '98-type mauser at this point. I know it's not a "real" german k98k but it looks the part and should shoot nicely. I'll try to sneak away sometime in the next couple days and check 'em out. I am no-joke within a couple miles of 4 different Big 5 locations, and that's just off the top of my head. Aw crap now I have to go get the stupid firearms safety certificate. Damn you DOJ!
Old 12-31-2014, 10:49 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Yeah, I'm mostly looking for a '98-type mauser at this point. I know it's not a "real" german k98k but it looks the part and should shoot nicely. I'll try to sneak away sometime in the next couple days and check 'em out. I am no-joke within a couple miles of 4 different Big 5 locations, and that's just off the top of my head. Aw crap now I have to go get the stupid firearms safety certificate. Damn you DOJ!
An M48 would fit the bill nicely for a "98 Mauser". There is some mindless chatter on the boardz about the incompatibility of Yugo Mauser parts with K98's, but it seems to be spewed by folks deep in the post-societal fantasy realm who are prepping and future proofing with K98's in their future identities as nomadic hunter / gatherers / fake zombie hunters or some other such Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome suburbanite mental masturbation nonsense. I don't have any plans to mix parts between any of my Mauser variants and neither do all the bags of hot air who raise this issue as a negative toward Yugos.

But I digress. If you find a nice one, scoop it. Despite rumblings of doom and gloom, there is still plenty of surplus 8mm ammo out there, as long as you broaden your horizons beyond Walmart and Turners.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:52 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Why not a Vz24? They were actually used in WWII (besides Yugo K98 reworks) and parts are interchangeable with a K98. It's a long action large ring mauser, and can be had for $249. Not quite as close to a K98 with looks, as the Vz has a straight bolt and a different sight protector. The M48 does fit the look of a K98.

Vz24:

Last edited by 81turbota; 12-31-2014 at 11:56 PM..
Old 01-01-2015, 12:03 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81turbota View Post
Once you factor in tax and dros, you're looking at ~350. There are better deals to be found locally and online, RGUNS has nice Czech VZ24's for $250, I just bought a matching Yugo M48 on gunboards for $225 shipped with bayo and sling. Better deals are around, but only attractive if you have a C&R + COE.

Either way, the M48 is a fine rifle if you can find one in exceptional condition!
You just had to mention it

DDR AK furniture and Norinco M14 parts kit: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1756292
Old 01-01-2015, 12:05 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick View Post
You just had to mention it
Let me guess...you bought a big5 M48? They sure as heck aren't getting cheaper
Old 01-01-2015, 12:22 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Why not a Vz24? They were actually used in WWII (besides Yugo K98 reworks) and parts are interchangeable with a K98. It's a long action large ring mauser, and can be had for $249. Not quite as close to a K98 with looks, as the Vz has a straight bolt and a different sight protector. The M48 does fit the look of a K98.

Vz24:

I agree. Why not a VZ-24?

**EDIT** If those VZ-24's are good condition, $250 is a good price! You guys know that VZ-24's tend to be in rough shape, with really banged up stocks and are usually in the white. The Czech front sight protector is my favorite part of that gun. Preferred all day over the standard K98 hood which takes superhuman strength to put on or take off!!

Last edited by Bobby Ricigliano; 01-01-2015 at 12:32 AM..
Old 01-01-2015, 12:28 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

But since this is a YUGO thread, we should not forget about the 24/47. Available in straight or bent bolt flavors for your shooting enjoyment!

Old 01-01-2015, 12:34 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Let me guess...you bought a big5 M48? They sure as heck aren't getting cheaper
Oh, not at all. I have unissued-looking M48s (M48, M48A, and M48B), and I just got an M48BO for under $200 (that one's used, but still VG+. It's a weird one, since it's supposed to have a bunch of stamped parts, including the stamped magwell and trigger guard. However, everything in it is milled, except for the mag floor plate, which is milled (and not matching to the rifle anyway, so it's a later addition. I wouldn't be surprised if the original floor plate was milled, as well)).

I was referring to you mentioning that R-guns has Vz. 24s... I just ordered one and a bayonet. Having read up on the current batch of their Vz.24s, it appears that a lot of them are G24(t) and marked so. So I had to try my luck

DDR AK furniture and Norinco M14 parts kit: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1756292
Old 01-01-2015, 12:37 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Ahhhh I see, you're welcome! I hope it turns out to be a g24(t)...let me know as I might have to get one as well.
Old 01-01-2015, 12:41 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Ahhhh I see, you're welcome! I hope it turns out to be a g24(t)...let me know as I might have to get one as well.
Will do, they usually ship fast. They promise VG condition, and my prior rifle buys from them were as good or better than advertized, so there's hope for, at least, a nice rifle, even if it's an RC.

Old 01-01-2015, 12:43 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

I have done business with Nick before and he knows his C&R's. I hope you get a good one from RGuns. $15 shipping is a big plus. It is impossible to ship a long gun for less than $30, so that sweetens the pot for sure that they are likely eating it on the postage.
Old 01-01-2015, 1:07 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
I have done business with Nick before and he knows his C&R's. I hope you get a good one from RGuns. $15 shipping is a big plus. It is impossible to ship a long gun for less than $30, so that sweetens the pot for sure that they are likely eating it on the postage.
Yeah, $15 flat rate shipping didn't hurt any. Pity they didn't have anything else I wanted.

How did that Mosin work out for you? Don't tell me you refinished it too

Old 01-01-2015, 9:54 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick View Post
Yeah, $15 flat rate shipping didn't hurt any. Pity they didn't have anything else I wanted.

How did that Mosin work out for you? Don't tell me you refinished it too
It worked out great, has not been refinished! It is still in the family and it shoots great.
Old 01-01-2015, 1:36 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
It worked out great, has not been refinished! It is still in the family and it shoots great.
Good Gave a couple of rifles from the same batch to my brother's family, they're happy with them. My brother even wanted to bring his to an Appleseed, but sanity (and the price of ammo) prevailed

Old 01-02-2015, 8:48 AM
Calguns Addict

My first C&R outside of Mosins was a big 5 M-48. It was a early milled parts 1955. The wood was not near as nice as the mosins i had and it had feed problems i only partially resolved. i quickly fell out of love with it. Every spring in it had to be replaced. Surplus Mosins spoiled me .Unlike mosin Surplus ammo which always works you need to be careful buying some of the surplus Mauser ammo out their. many duds at .50c each. As shooters i will stick with Mosin M-44s. collecting is another matter. Expect no love from Mauser collectors. M-48s are good Mausers but you would not know it from Mauser collectors.Like YUGO AKs a lot of the parts do not interchange with other guns of the same design.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:50 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Got it delivered today. The good: the condition really is excellent. It's obviously re-blued and untouched since. The stock is excellent, as well. the serial numbers are only on bolt handle, receiver, and stock. All match, but the bolt handle one is electropenciled, and you can see the faint remnants of the old number. The bore looks very sharp, I think, once the cosmo is removed, it will be mirror bright.

The bad: it's not marked G24(t), it's a Romanian contract Vz.24 with the Romanian crest partially ground off.

Also, the bayonet I ordered with it, which is advertized as "unissued", really is unissued.

Overall, for $250 you get what I think will be an excellent shooter. Not very collectable, but the condition really is excellent. I'm happy overall, but I'll try for another one. Maybe I'll get that G24(t), after all

Attachment 380843

Attachment 380844

Last edited by nick; 10-21-2023 at 12:24 PM..
Old 01-08-2015, 12:39 PM
Veteran Member

I paid $500 each for my Czech and RC Mausers. Should I be sad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThemBastards View Post
Judging from the last shoot I think we are the wrong group to ask about sighting in Mosins haha.
Quote:
I don't want dreamcatchers or AR crap, I want ugly old guns!
Old 01-08-2015, 2:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armistice View Post
I paid $500 each for my Czech and RC Mausers. Should I be sad?
Why, isn't that the going rate for them now days?
Old 01-08-2015, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMB 1 View Post
Why, isn't that the going rate for them now days?
What I paid for my rc, has a nice bore.