Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 02-20-2013, 5:08 PM

Default Moving to Cali

Hey there,
I know this isn't the introductions forum but my names Clay and I'm brand new to this board. I live in Michigan currently and am going to be moving to California at the end of the summer for work. I currently own some weapons that I know for sure I cannot bring, but I am planning on having a m&p9 milled to fit a RMR on it and the gun I have lined up doesn't have the magazine disconnect but it does have the thumb safety. Will it be legal to bring to California? and if so when it expires on the certified list on the DOJ website will it be illegal to own or be grandfathered in?

Nice to meet you guys and thanks for your help!

Regards,
Clay
Old 02-20-2013, 5:47 PM
retired Goon

As a new resident to CA, you can legally bring any non-prohibited weapon to CA.

So, as long as your firearm is not classified as a DD, MG, SBR, SBS, or assault weapon; then it is legal to bring to CA.

The Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale applies to selling handguns, so as a person moving to CA, you are exempt from it.

Also, within 60 days of becoming a CA resident, you must register your handguns with CA DOJ.
This can be accomplished by mailing a completed New Resident Handgun Ownership Report with applicable fees to CA DOJ BOF.

In addition, you can not legally bring any large capacity (11+ round) magazines to CA.
You can bring magazine parts, which you can keep as parts & never assemble while in CA or use the parts to make permanent 10 round or less magazines.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 02-20-2013 at 5:51 PM..
Old 02-20-2013, 6:08 PM

Welcome to Kalifornistan, where the constitution and any and all freedoms mean jacksh*t!!!
Old 02-20-2013, 6:11 PM

Cool Make a lot of $$$!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggins151 View Post
Hey there,
I know this isn't the introductions forum but my names Clay and I'm brand new to this board. I live in Michigan currently and am going to be moving to California at the end of the summer for work. I currently own some weapons that I know for sure I cannot bring, but I am planning on having a m&p9 milled to fit a RMR on it and the gun I have lined up doesn't have the magazine disconnect but it does have the thumb safety. Will it be legal to bring to California? and if so when it expires on the certified list on the DOJ website will it be illegal to own or be grandfathered in?

Regards,
Clay
I hope you plan to make A LOT OF MONEY AND DONATE TO A LOT OF PRO-2ND-AMENDMENT ORGS.

America is Not a Democracy

". . . all [historical] experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms
[of governmental abuses and usurpations] to which they are accustomed."
Decl. of Indep., July 4, 1776

NRA Benefactor/Life Member; Lifer: CRPA, GOA, SAF & JPFO

Old 02-20-2013, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewdabaker23 View Post
Welcome to Kalifornistan, where the constitution and any and all freedoms mean jacksh*t!!!
^^ what he said ^^
Old 02-20-2013, 6:12 PM
Veteran Member

DON'T DO IT!!!!

What Quiet said
-Edmund Burke
I'd much rather go to my grave never needing my gun, than go there wishing I had it.
- Phil Dalmolin

The Battle of Athens was illegal too.
Old 02-20-2013, 6:31 PM

Haha. Thank you guys for all the help and input! I've heard tales of gun ranges that go as far as your eye can see. Well not that long, but I can only shot out to 200 yards around here unless I drive 4 hours up north and at that it only gets to about 400-500.
Old 02-20-2013, 6:40 PM

Welcome Clay! There are some advantages to California, weather is nice, lots to see and do, it isn't heavily populated by people in burkas and turbans (yes, I have been to Detroit), but as far as gun rights? Hahahahahahahahahahahahah!

Anyway, hope you enjoy your stay with us, and glad to have one more pro 2A guy in the state! I think that makes 4...
Old 02-20-2013, 6:44 PM

Where do you plan on moving to in Cali?
Old 02-20-2013, 6:47 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
As a new resident to CA, you can legally bring any non-prohibited weapon to CA.

So, as long as your firearm is not classified as a DD, MG, SBR, SBS, or assault weapon; then it is legal to bring to CA.

The Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale applies to selling handguns, so as a person moving to CA, you are exempt from it.

Also, within 60 days of becoming a CA resident, you must register your handguns with CA DOJ.
This can be accomplished by mailing a completed New Resident Handgun Ownership Report with applicable fees to CA DOJ BOF.

In addition, you can not legally bring any large capacity (11+ round) magazines to CA.
You can bring magazine parts, which you can keep as parts & never assemble while in CA or use the parts to make permanent 10 round or less magazines.
..and you'll need to leave any suppressors behind. Welcome to CA, but you'll love the weather!

Check out our e-commerce site here:

www.ebrworks.com

Serving you from Prescott, AZ
Old 02-20-2013, 7:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Register to vote. we need more gun owners that vote.
Old 02-20-2013, 7:16 PM

Save yourself and don't come here, lol
Old 02-20-2013, 7:18 PM

I plan on moving south of LA, Huntington Beach area. Not looking forward to giving my CPL up either!
Old 02-20-2013, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatgunman View Post
Save yourself and don't come here, lol
This. Call your new job and tell them you changed your mind. Fair warning.
Old 02-20-2013, 7:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsacks View Post
Welcome Clay! There are some advantages to California, weather is nice, lots to see and do, it isn't heavily populated by people in burkas and turbans (yes, I have been to Detroit), but as far as gun rights? Hahahahahahahahahahahahah!

Anyway, hope you enjoy your stay with us, and glad to have one more pro 2A guy in the state! I think that makes 4...
But apparently we have people who are intolerant of the religious beliefs of others.

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice, but let me remind you also that moderation in the persuit of justice is no virtue" -Barry Goldwater

“Remember that a government big enough to give you everything you want is also big enough to take away everything you have.” -Gerald Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by cudakidd View Post
I want Blood for Oil. Heck I want Blood for Oil over hand wringing sentiment!
^
Old 02-20-2013, 7:31 PM

Dont let some of these guys scare you off, I'm originally from rural Michigan and I wouldn't go back there if you doubled my salary. Welcome to California Biggins51! Provided gun ownership isn't the sun around which your world revovles you'll probably like it better here than Michigan.

California has some of the best geography, there's always something new to do, it's a motorcyclist's dream, and The beaches and women are gorgeous!
Old 02-20-2013, 7:32 PM
Veteran Member

Orange county is way better than LA county for guns but still not all that great.
Old 02-20-2013, 7:56 PM

This state isn't perfect and I can't argue we have sane gun laws. But welcome anyway and the area your going to has great ocean kayak fishing! Give it a try.
Old 02-20-2013, 9:28 PM

And what ever you do, don't go and read the thread on all the people leaving this state.

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead."
- Thomas Paine, The Crisis
Old 02-21-2013, 2:27 AM

Biggins151,

I moved back to California to Huntington Beach after being in Arizona for 5 years. I regret it almost everyday, not just as a gun owner but overall. Don't get me wrong California is beautiful, I love where I live; but overall there are many issues in this state not just with guns. Just about every sector of this state is over regulated, over taxed, and more is on the way.

Not that I am trying to rant or get you not to move here. Just when you get here link up and join the fight to help change this state back to where it was. Oh, and when I moved here I had to leave quite a few guns in Arizona.
"All things are possible" Matthew 19:26
Old 02-21-2013, 4:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggins151 View Post
Hey there,

Regards,
Clay
If you can help it don't move here. I am trying to get out along with a lot other Calgunners. You will regret it.

C.S. Lewis once observed, "Once we allow people to start spiritualizing and refining, or as they might say 'deepening' the sense of the word Christian...it will become a useless word....It is not for us to say who, in the deepest sense, is or is not close to the spirit of Christ. We do not see into men's hearts. We cannot judge...It would be wicked arrogance for us to say that any man is, or is not, a Christian."
Old 02-21-2013, 6:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by safewaysecurity View Post
But apparently we have people who are intolerant of the religious beliefs of others.
Oh no! Really??????