Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 09-13-2018, 2:29 PM

I'm a big fan of the inertia driven shotguns and own a Benelli field gun and a Beretta 1201FP for home defense. They kick a little more, but are very light and they stay amazingly clean since they are not using the gases to cycle. Both have always been 100% with various rounds.

Stoeger and Franchi are now part of Beretta along with Benelli so you have a couple choices in your price range.

FAS1 SAFE
Old 09-13-2018, 5:50 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS1 View Post
I'm a big fan of the inertia driven shotguns and own a Benelli field gun and a Beretta 1201FP for home defense. They kick a little more, but are very light and they stay amazingly clean since they are not using the gases to cycle. Both have always been 100% with various rounds.

Stoeger and Franchi are now part of Beretta along with Benelli so you have a couple choices in your price range.
Those are indeed fine shotguns. I've handled and extensively researched the Stoegers M3000 and M3k, the Franchi Affinity, Remington V3, Remington Versamax, Winchester SX3, and Weatherby SA-08.

This is my first dance with a semi-auto shotgun, and I don't know if this is something I will like relatively long term or just a short passing interest. Actually, I debated whether to get the Benelli Super Nova Tactical or the Mossberg Tactical. I opted for the semi auto because I already have a pump.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:43 AM

For the Mossberg 930 - The one I got is the 85322. Started dros yesterday. I will let you know about how mine does with the light loads once I get'er out there. I will be adding a few things that might make it worse, and a few things that might make it better...

Mesa tactical/pistol stock - tends to add more tension to the spring in the stock, causing light loads to FTE. Though, I like OP said, I hope they ironed out some of the issues, plus I plan to only use it with 00 buckshot, so the light loads will just be for testing.

I'm also adding Or3gun parts that should help with the cycling. New spring plunger, spring retainer, marine spacer tube, and a competition forearm retainer (I felt the wobble in the forearm when I started dros, really glad I got this retainer to hold it solid).
Please help our community look better by using the most correct terminology. It sounds bad when you call your paper/clay-shooter a weapon. California is already bad enough. Help to increase awareness and erase ignorance.

weap·on (wepən) noun - a thing designed or used for inflicting bodily harm or physical damage.
- a means of gaining an advantage or defending oneself in a conflict or contest.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:27 PM

I'm a bit confused why, if you're concerned about your new purchase and it hasn't arrived at your LGS yet (as of when you made your posts), you're still going through with it?
Old 09-18-2018, 2:18 PM
Banned

Don't put a pistol grip on a Mossberg. Tang safety, hello?
Old 09-18-2018, 2:22 PM
Veteran Member

Tang safety and pistol grip is fine, if you know how to operate your firearm properly.
Old 09-18-2018, 4:57 PM
Banned

No it isn't fine. A traditional grip allows the shooter to operate all controls without changing the grip of the firing hand. Can't do that with a pistol grip.
Old 09-18-2018, 6:36 PM
Veteran Member

You know what's not fine? Walking into a situation that demands a semi auto 12g with your safety on at all...
Old 09-18-2018, 8:17 PM
Banned

Lol, no.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bainter1212 View Post
Whatever you get OP, make sure you put it through it's paces.

I took a 4 day Defensive shotgun class at Front Sight this spring. If there is one thing that type of class will do for you, it is to get you intimately familiar with your gun.

What ammo it likes or doesn't, how it behaves while shooting in different positions, or when performing an emergency reload or maybe a slug select drill....I really got to know and trust my gun.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
I can't agree more. I only did 2 days of that class (that's all the time we had) but I came back with a real good feel for my m500. You need to be able to run a shotgun because you are always going to be plagued by Ammo Needs or the need to swap ammo types efficiently.

This should be done before you seek out mods to your new gun.

The best "mod" you can do,,, is to yourself.

Randy
Rule #1 Liberals screw up everything they touch.
Rule #2 Whatever they accuse you of, they are already doing.
Rule #3 Liberals lie about anything no matter how insignificant.
Rule #4 If all else fails, they call you a Racist!

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.
www.buchananprecisionmachine.com
Old 09-19-2018, 1:40 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAD338 View Post
Definitely keeping that piston clean helps its reliability quite a bit. It gets to be a pain doing it every 100 rounds or so.
Jerry made a bunch of youtubes on disassembly and cleaning.

Does it really need a recoil pad? I have one but haven't shot it yet. I used to have an 1100 that cycled like glass with everything from #8 birdshot to slugs to 00, and only had a plastic buttplate. Wish it hadn't gotten stole.
Old 09-19-2018, 1:47 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
Jerry made a bunch of youtubes on disassembly and cleaning.

Does it really need a recoil pad? I have one but haven't shot it yet. I used to have an 1100 that cycled like glass with everything from #8 birdshot to slugs to 00, and only had a plastic buttplate. Wish it hadn't gotten stole.
My JM pro has the stock pad on it and it is a very light shooter imo. I've also put 400 rds in a row through it in BLM without one ftf. It's bone stock with no additional aftermarket parts other than what it came with out of the box.

We were shooting out of mixed 50 Cal cans of random ammo from wwb to fed target shot mixed with various slugs and buck.

Like I said before hearing all these complaints I'm honestly kind of amazed, I must have lucked out. Mine has been a dream. If the A300 wasn't lighter I would have bought a 930 sporting.

Last edited by etwinam; 09-20-2018 at 2:06 PM..
Old 09-20-2018, 7:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatCaliberBuddha
Also, anything which a choke will prevent you from using slugs, limiting your HD round options.

Not true. You just don’t want to use too tight of a choke.
Old 09-20-2018, 7:53 AM

I worked the gun counter at a Cabela’s part time for 2.5 years. I saw Benelli, Beretta, Weatherby, Browning, Winchester, Mossberg, Remington, Franchi and Stoeger semi-autos with issues. Saw the most with Stoeger, all others were about equal issue wise.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horrendo Revolver View Post
I worked the gun counter at a Cabela’s part time for 2.5 years. I saw Benelli, Beretta, Weatherby, Browning, Winchester, Mossberg, Remington, Franchi and Stoeger semi-autos with issues. Saw the most with Stoeger, all others were about equal issue wise.

Im sure it has more to do with ammo choice, tuning, and cleaning rather than actual issues. From my experience the semi autos had the most problems with Walmart bird shot.
Old 09-20-2018, 12:24 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Just curious, HR... what was your experience (if you have any) with Mossberg's CS?? I ask because I will have my 930 soon.
Old 09-20-2018, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DArBad View Post
Just curious, HR... what was your experience (if you have any) with Mossberg's CS?? I ask because I will have my 930 soon.
Never dealt with them when I was selling guns. I bought a 930 Combo with a Field and a Slug barrel in 2010. It was an excellent shotgun and I never had issues with it. Sold it because I was offered more than I paid for it during the Sandy Hook gun shortage.

I purchased one of the first SA-20’s(online purchase) and the bolt release button didn’t work. My CS experience was less than stellar. It didn’t keep me from purchasing the 930 because when I didn’t get good service at the Eagle Pass location I called corporate and asked to speak to Alan Mossberg because I had a complaint. My issue got handled to my satisfaction most riki tic. I almost always give a company a second chance because every company of any size has at least one employee that’s a syphilitic druid.
Old 09-20-2018, 2:20 PM
Bacon Cheeseburger Lover
CGN Contributor

OP,

I picked up a Benelli M1S90 used for $550 plus DRoS from a local gun store. We've seen them for pretty cheap from time to time. I think if you look hard enough, you might be able to snag one for cheap. The gun was in near perfect shape, and now we use this as an HD gun. We previously held an 870, but now that we have two kids, it would be easier for my wife to manipulate with one hand. It's quite the sight to see when she practices too...

Jerry
Old 09-20-2018, 7:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

......... I almost always give a company a second chance because every company of any size has at least one employee that’s a syphilitic druid.
Ha-ha-ha!

thanks for the feedback, buddy......it gave me a good laugh. I'll add that to my vocabulary...... " syphilitic druid ".
Old 09-21-2018, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Not true. You just don’t want to use too tight of a choke.
I was told by someone from Benelli that the only choke that you can fire a slug through is a Improved choke, and even then he didn't recommend it because doing so repeatedly would cause excess wear/stress on the choke/barrel. He basically said that slugs and chokes aren't designed to work together and that only in a life/death situation would he be firing a slug with a choke.

And congrats OP on your new shotgun
Old 09-21-2018, 6:48 AM
Banned

You can shoot a slug through an IC choke. 3 gun competition dudes have sent cases of slugs through all kinds of chokes without issues. However, your slugs are usually a lot more accurate and consistent with your more 'open' chokes like IC or SK.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatCaliberBuddha View Post

And congrats OP on your new shotgun
Thanks, " FCB ". I am taking off early from work today, to do the paperwork. I am as excited as a teenager going on a...first date.
Old 09-21-2018, 4:42 PM
Veteran Member

Saw it for the first time at the FFL. Inspected and was satisfied. There are no slop whatsoever from the forend. Finish was blemish free though not as smoothly done as some more expensive brand.

Used my fingers to feel for any rough spots or burrs in the chamber, nada. Pull back the bolt, it was stiff in its tracks but smooth gliding nonetheless.

Inspected the box (brown not blue), noted a date labeled " packaged 06/../2018 ". So perhaps this was made just a few months back.

I am happy and satisfied with my cursory inspection of the SG, I proceeded with the paperwork and I should be able to take possession after 10 days from today.

The FFL even gave me a box of Remington 00 buckshot. Nice FFL, fast and efficient, his price is better than most local dealer I've visited.

Last edited by DArBad; 09-21-2018 at 4:49 PM..
Old 09-22-2018, 1:31 PM
I need a LIFE!!

For those with a JM Pro, do you think the extra features are worth the money? A couple years ago, the local Walmart was closing out the sporting model, and it was a deal I couldn't refuse. I figured worse case, I could put a long mag tube on it, but the barrel is also too long. Not sure I want to buy another barrel.

But what I really wanted was a JM Pro, so if it's worth it, I might just sell the 930 I have and buy a JM Pro.
Old 09-22-2018, 4:20 PM
-DVC- Mojave Lever Crew
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Here is my approximately 30-year-old Remington 1100 in a HD configuration.

18.5" Parkerized, Improved cylinder choke, bead-sight barrel
Wilson Combat 1-shot magazine extension
Remington competition carrier
Brownells combat bolt handle

I stoke this with Hornady Critical Defense 8-pellet 00 buckshot, 1600 fps. Not a mild load. Don't mess around with home defense. Be serious and use good ammunition!

NRA Lifetime | Avatar courtesy Elon Musk's Twitter User SomthingWicked
Old 09-23-2018, 5:48 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
For those with a JM Pro, do you think the extra features are worth the money? A couple years ago, the local Walmart was closing out the sporting model, and it was a deal I couldn't refuse. I figured worse case, I could put a long mag tube on it, but the barrel is also too long. Not sure I want to buy another barrel.

But what I really wanted was a JM Pro, so if it's worth it, I might just sell the 930 I have and buy a JM Pro.
You will have to ask yourself, what you will use the shotgun for.Will you go on a 3 gun competition? If not then you will have overspend for the JM Pro. Will you go duck hunting, pheasant, goose, etc? If you will, there are 930s better suited for the job.

Will your 930 be basically used as a home defense piece, like mine will be? If so, you will have overspend for the JM Pro. The JM Pro is loaded with features set up more for competition than anything else. That is not to say you couldn't use it for either hunting or HD. It is a versatile shotgun.

I too liked the JM Pro, just couldn't justify the price I will have to pay vs. the actual intended use. I have the money for the JM Pro, because I just sold away two 1911s. I just decided the 930 Security offers the most bang for my intended use.

But, if you like the JM Pro and are unhappy with your current 930 Sporting, sell it away and use the money instead in purchasing a JM Pro. Better to do it that way than monkey around upgrading your 930 Sporting.

You didn't specify if the " sporting " model you have is one of those newer Pro Sporting Model with an input from the famed Gil Ash(w/ Cerakote finish, Briley chokes, Hi-Viz sights, wood stock) or one of the cheaper ones. If what you own is one of the cheaper ones, just sell it away and get the JM Pro.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by DArBad; 09-23-2018 at 6:00 AM..
Old 09-23-2018, 6:38 AM
Banned

If you decide to get the JMPro, know the fixes that you can do for it to keep it running. These also apply to the 930.

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/1...ro-setupfixes/
Old 09-26-2018, 12:10 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DArBad View Post
You will have to ask yourself, what you will use the shotgun for.Will you go on a 3 gun competition? If not then you will have overspend for the JM Pro. Will you go duck hunting, pheasant, goose, etc? If you will, there are 930s better suited for the job.

Will your 930 be basically used as a home defense piece, like mine will be? If so, you will have overspend for the JM Pro. The JM Pro is loaded with features set up more for competition than anything else. That is not to say you couldn't use it for either hunting or HD. It is a versatile shotgun.

I too liked the JM Pro, just couldn't justify the price I will have to pay vs. the actual intended use. I have the money for the JM Pro, because I just sold away two 1911s. I just decided the 930 Security offers the most bang for my intended use.

But, if you like the JM Pro and are unhappy with your current 930 Sporting, sell it away and use the money instead in purchasing a JM Pro. Better to do it that way than monkey around upgrading your 930 Sporting.

You didn't specify if the " sporting " model you have is one of those newer Pro Sporting Model with an input from the famed Gil Ash(w/ Cerakote finish, Briley chokes, Hi-Viz sights, wood stock) or one of the cheaper ones. If what you own is one of the cheaper ones, just sell it away and get the JM Pro.

Just my 2 cents.
The 930 I have is a couple years old. I don't plan to ever use a shotgun for hunting or home defense, just 3 gun. But, I'm not super serious about it, just for fun. I would want to have everything on it that I can to make it easy to load and operate, and I want a red dot. I don't necessarily need that big bolt handle on the JM Pros, the standard one is fine.