Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 09-06-2018, 8:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guninator View Post
I assumed they'd want to have all of your background records in front of them when they interviewed you, so they could ask you about them. Isn't that one of the main points of the interview?

Having live scanned myself recently, the FBI comes in like 3 days, the CA DOJ in like a week, and the guy who live scanned me said the firearms records take the longest (I didn't do the firearms scan)?
The firearms records were taking 6 months a couple of years ago. People were waiting patiently....yeah right!!

It could well be, but I would call them as that is not how they've been doing it. The interview is to go over your application and verify what's there, not review your livescan results. The livescan is part of the process, as is your training, and while you can do them in any order they will and do advise you for each step. If you do them out of order and your app is denied for some reason the costs are on you, have already been incurred.

It's been fairly fluid around there with updated and streamlined procedures, and they're really processing them through efficiently now, but I have not heard that they've radically changed the steps in the process, more just improved the flow.

There's also the point that once your app is submitted and logged, you get referral number for it for your livescan operator so that results are transmitted directly - it's linked to your app. This also speeds up the process and eliminates any errors in tracking or confirming the results.

Training is last, for all the same reasons, but there's nothing to stop you from doing it in any order, other than there's a time limit on it's validity - not sure what that is or can recall, but I thought it was something like 3 or 6 months.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:45 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shompy View Post
Live Scan takes 3-5 days. So just schedule your appt. for the week after you submit your docs and you should be fine.

—S
It takes 3-5 days if absolutely nothing is linked to your scan; no person with similar name or the like. If there is anything to clarify it will take 2 or 3 weeks and that is if the matter can be easily clarified. Some will take a couple of months or longer.
Old 09-06-2018, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy65 View Post
It takes 3-5 days if absolutely nothing is linked to your scan; no person with similar name or the like. If there is anything to clarify it will take 2 or 3 weeks and that is if the matter can be easily clarified. Some will take a couple of months or longer.
Mine took 3 days, but I’ve had my prints done scores of times over the years.

—S
Old 09-09-2018, 2:59 PM

If you let your permit expire, do you have to do the initial again or can you do the renewal process?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 09-09-2018, 4:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13animal13 View Post
If you let your permit expire, do you have to do the initial again or can you do the renewal process?

You have to start over.
Old 09-13-2018, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13animal13 View Post

It depends on how long your CCW license has been expired. If it's within 14 days, you can still renew. If it's greater than that, start over.
Old 09-13-2018, 4:04 PM

Thank you all for the replies.

Old 09-13-2018, 6:06 PM

I have a permanent address in LA county. However, I rent/live down in Orange County almost all week. I don't have any bills, etc. that show my residence in Orange County.

I e-mailed OCSD and they had mentioned that since my permanent address is in LA, I couldn't apply here?

I thought I read a post somewhere that if I have a notarized rental agreement or something to that nature, I would be ok.

Not sure if that has changed and checking to see if anyone else is in a similar situation?
Old 09-14-2018, 6:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian7581 View Post
I have a permanent address in LA county. However, I rent/live down in Orange County almost all week. I don't have any bills, etc. that show my residence in Orange County.

I e-mailed OCSD and they had mentioned that since my permanent address is in LA, I couldn't apply here?

I thought I read a post somewhere that if I have a notarized rental agreement or something to that nature, I would be ok.

Not sure if that has changed and checking to see if anyone else is in a similar situation?

I you are a permanent resident of Los Angeles, you do not meet the residency for Orange County. If you permanently live in OC, and occasionally stay in LA, I think you would be ok. You would have to have supporting documents that prove you are an OC resident. Lease agreement, utility bills, or other official documents, voter registration card, bank statement, vehicle registration, etc. You will also have to update your CDL to reflect OC as your residence. You can have the LA address as your mailing address, but it will send up a red flag. My buddy told me if someone isn't truthful on an application, it a minimum a Misdemeanor. By the way, if you're married with a family of 4, and want to say you rent a room in OC, it's not going to fly. They can look up your wife's record, and see where your kids go to school. I believe they have some type of work CCW license that you have to renew every 3 months. Ask them about it or maybe somebody with that knowledge can post the info about it.

Last thing: If you want to take a posting on Calguns over what the CCW unit told you directly, I think you are being silly .
Old 09-14-2018, 1:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian7581 View Post

Take a look at Raulinaitis v. Ventura County Sheriff. Why it is not an Orange Cpounty case, the same law will apply. The Sheriff can interpret the residence requirement to mean that you not only have a residence in the county but that residence is you must be domiciled in that county and you only have one county of domicile. Consequently proof that you reside at times in one county may not establish it to be your county of domicile in which you may receive a CCW on the basis of residence.

Quote:
Here, the evidence showed that the Ventura County Sheriff's Department interpreted the residence requirement in California Penal Code section 26150(a)(3) reasonably, investigated Raulinaitis's residence thoroughly, and drew reasonable conclusions about where Raulinaitis resided. Because Raulinaitis's inconsistent declarations at summary judgment did not raise a genuine dispute of material fact about the Sheriff's Department's authority to conduct an investigation into Raulinaitis's residence or the manner in which the investigation was conducted, summary judgment was appropriate.
So while the OCSD can determine that you are a resident of the OC, if there is evidence tending to establish that your permanent home (as in domicile) is in Los Angeles County then it could deny your application on the grounds of residence.

Last edited by Chewy65; 09-14-2018 at 1:05 PM..
Old 09-14-2018, 1:36 PM

Thanks for the response guys.

I supposed I could have asked the CCW unit directly, but opted to post here and got the info I needed from you guys!
Old 09-17-2018, 7:53 AM

OCSD can only issue CCW for verified county of resident. It's state statute.
Old 09-19-2018, 3:57 PM
Senior Member Xtraordinar
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
OCSD can only issue CCW for verified county of resident. It's state statute.

Except when they issue CCW’s to individuals who don’t live in Orange County. They do that quite often actually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NRA Certified Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/PPIH/PPOH Instructor | NRA Certified RSO | NRA Life Member | GSSF Life Time Member | Surefire Low Light Instructor | Glock Certified Armorer | Utah CCW Instructor | Nevada CCW Instructor
Old 09-19-2018, 4:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFence View Post
Except when they issue CCW’s to individuals who don’t live in Orange County. They do that quite often actually.

This.

The code does allow for 90 day permits. Not sure how often OCSD issues such permits.

26150. (a) When a person applies for a license to carry a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person, the sheriff of a county may issue a license to that person upon proof of all of the following:
(1) The applicant is of good moral character.
(2) Good cause exists for issuance of the license.
(3) The applicant is a resident of the county or a city within the county, or the applicant’s principal place of employment or business is in the county or a city within the county and the applicant spends a substantial period of time in that place of employment or business.

26220. (a) Except as otherwise provided in this section and in subdivision (c) of Section 26210, a license issued pursuant to Section 26150 or 26155 is valid for any period of time not to exceed two years from the date of the license.
(b) If the licensee’s place of employment or business was the basis for issuance of a license pursuant to Section 26150, the license is valid for any period of time not to exceed 90 days from the date of the license. The license shall be valid only in the county in which the license was originally issued. The licensee shall give a copy of this license to the licensing authority of the city, county, or city and county in which the licensee resides. The licensing authority that originally issued the license shall inform the licensee verbally and in writing in at least 16-point type of this obligation to give a copy of the license to the licensing authority of the city, county, or city and county of residence. Any application to renew or extend the validity of, or reissue, the license may be granted only upon the concurrence of the licensing authority that originally issued the license and the licensing authority of the city, county, or city and county in which the licensee resides.
Old 09-20-2018, 7:09 AM

Hmmm...never heard of that. Cool.
I don't think this helps the asker though. [shrug]
Old 09-20-2018, 7:47 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doheny View Post
The code does allow for 90 day permits. Not sure how often OCSD issues such permits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
Hmmm...never heard of that. Cool.
I don't think this helps the asker though. [shrug]
Major drawback:
Quote:
(b) If the licensee’s place of employment or business was the basis for issuance of a license pursuant to Section 26150, the license is valid for any period of time not to exceed 90 days from the date of the license. The license shall be valid only in the county in which the license was originally issued.
Old 09-20-2018, 6:24 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
Major drawback:

Yup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 09-21-2018, 6:44 AM

Oh, well gee, there's that.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:05 AM
Senior Member Xtraordinar
CGN Contributor

Better then not having anything at all.

NRA Certified Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/PPIH/PPOH Instructor | NRA Certified RSO | NRA Life Member | GSSF Life Time Member | Surefire Low Light Instructor | Glock Certified Armorer | Utah CCW Instructor | Nevada CCW Instructor
Old 09-25-2018, 10:46 AM

Default Initial CCW for OC

Good morning,

A friend in my unit told me he went through the process for Orange County and received his permit within three months. I was pretty skeptical until I applied, which to my surprise I got my initial appointment next day. I submitted all of the requested documents, and was told that if I got everything done speedily that I could be finished with the process in under a month. I completed the firearms training the following day and did the livescan the day after.

It has now been a little over a month and I have not heard anything back from the office, I've called a few times but they will not let me speak with my background investigator and an email I had sent went unanswered. I've gone through multiple background checks before and I'm not one to "harass" the investigators, but the fact I was given a very specific time frame and that time frame has since passed has led me to believe that something could possibly not be right. Any insight would be helpful, thanks!

Timeline:
08/01/2018 - Submit documents, ID, proof of residency
08/03/2018 - Initial interview completed
08/04/2018 - CCW test completed and submitted
08/05//2018- Livescan completed and submitted
Old 09-25-2018, 11:01 AM

Chill. Give the process the time needed. OCSD people are diligent and professional. JMHO.

Old 09-25-2018, 12:08 PM

Relax, waiting is tough, especially with no info.

Been through 3 times, so I know how you feel.

It feels like they leave you hanging, and, then Bam, come pick up your license.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 09-25-2018, 2:01 PM
Veteran Member

Kick back and relax. Don’t get so hurried. Let them contact you when needed.

OCSD is great at what they do here. They get busy like everyone else.

You will have an answer before 90 days I’m sure.

You have waited this long, another couple of months won’t hurt you.

Old 09-25-2018, 2:15 PM

I appreciate all the replies. Letting them do their work is what I was inclined to do, I didn't want to call them anymore after the first time I inquired, and I wouldn't have even given it a second thought if I wasn't told I would hear back within two weeks.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:18 PM

You gotta realize that some of the investigators are retirees, who come in and work part time and can only work so many hours under pension or tax rules. So some are probably coming in once per week. This frees up full time deputies to work on higher priority matters (e.g., arresting bad guys). There is some weird holdup with the livescans sometimes.

Be sure to add CRPA as your charity in Amazon Smile. $#!thead Bezos canceled it.
Old 09-28-2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C1pher View Post
I appreciate all the replies. Letting them do their work is what I was inclined to do, I didn't want to call them anymore after the first time I inquired, and I wouldn't have even given it a second thought if I wasn't told I would hear back within two weeks.
If you have a clean background, and completed everything, I'd recommend you calling the unit supervisor. He will check your file on the spot or take your number and call you back.

Several of my buddies have received their CCW's lately. 4-8 weeks is what it took them. The friend that took 8 weeks had a blemish on his criminal history as a young adult. It takes them longer to process these applications because they get police reports and if the arresting agency takes their time sending them, nothing OCSD can do.

FYI, another buddy had everything done before his appointment and they issued the same day as his interview. I would only recommend this method if you have a spotless record, otherwise, you could be wasting a lot of money if you complete training before you're approved and end up DENIED. Best of Luck!!!
Old 10-15-2018, 8:18 AM

Just started the renewal process and it's my first time using the portal. So far I am impressed as this must really help the department to speed things along. When I renewed back in 2016 it took awhile to get the new card and my license had actually been expired for about a month. I suspect there won't be any delay this time around.
Old 10-15-2018, 8:19 AM
Veteran Member

Another reason to vote for Barnes in a few weeks.

Old 10-15-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaman View Post
Another reason to vote for Barnes in a few weeks.

Twice if you can
Old 10-15-2018, 11:31 PM

"Vote early -- and vote often!"

Be sure to add CRPA as your charity in Amazon Smile. $#!thead Bezos canceled it.
Old 10-30-2018, 11:07 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Renewal time line

9/25/18 submitted online renewal
10/30/18 approved and waiting to pick up at OC sheriff.

This was quick and painless. I was asked for a few supporting documents, which were easily uploaded to the site.

Old 11-05-2018, 9:49 AM

Default 10 days

New CCW
2018-10-21 - Application Submitted
2018-10-22 - LiveScan done
...2018-10-22 - LiveScan DOJ and FBI Completed
...2018-10-24 - LiveScan Firearms completed
2018-10-27/28 - CCW training through Artemis Defense Institute
2018-10-29 - Interview - Conditional approval (sergeant was not in to approve)
2018-10-31 - Official Approval.

Appears that it can be less than 10 days.. If I had to do it again, I would have taken the training before submitting my application. And yes, I would still take it at Artemis Defense. I thought the training was excellent.

Last edited by NYC2SoCal; 11-05-2018 at 9:52 AM..
Old 11-05-2018, 5:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Remember guys, let's get the vote out for Barnes tomorrow... any CCWer who would vote for Duke "Los Angeles Doesn't Issue CCWs and Neither Will I" Nguyen is a real knucklehead.
Old 11-05-2018, 5:48 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna quesadilla View Post
Remember guys, let's get the vote out for Barnes tomorrow... any CCWer who would vote for Duke "Los Angeles Doesn't Issue CCWs and Neither Will I" Nguyen is a real knucklehead.

Old 11-05-2018, 9:02 PM

Already voted last week! . But yes, go out and vote!!
Old 11-06-2018, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltzgolf View Post
Renewal time line

9/25/18 submitted online renewal
10/30/18 approved and waiting to pick up at OC sheriff.

This was quick and painless. I was asked for a few supporting documents, which were easily uploaded to the site.

My timing was almost exactly the same as yours. Dropped by the OCSD office to pick up my new license today. No appointment required. The staff are really nice, efficient and professional. I was not there 15 minutes. Great work by the men and women at OCSD.
Oh and for those of you who are in the process of renewing, just fill out everything not more than 90 days before expiration, then chill out and give them a few weeks. It was 3 or 4 weeks before I got any response. But after sending in a few documents they requested, I still got my approval a full month before expiration. So no need to call or email them about your status--they seem to be getting things done efficiently.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:23 PM

"Supporting documentation for your Good Cause statement"

Looking for information on what the Sheriff is looking for concerning "good cause". I know everyone's situation will differ but would like some input from those of you that have been through this process.
For privacy reasons please PM me as it would not be appropriate to post this discussion in the open forum. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-07-2018, 9:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antilamr View Post
"Supporting documentation for your Good Cause statement"

Looking for information on what the Sheriff is looking for concerning "good cause". I know everyone's situation will differ but would like some input from those of you that have been through this process.
For privacy reasons please PM me as it would not be appropriate to post this discussion in the open forum. Thanks in advance.
It's been discussed ad infinitem. LOL There's even a whole thread for it.

Write your statement best you can, your personal reasons why you want a permit, and PM a few of the old-timers for review. Everyone has been really helpful with word-smithing them out.

Everybody has sufficient cause if you simply look at your own risks on your your daily routine. It's not to protect property, it's to defend against threat of grave bodily harm or death, or even to those near you. And it's not for your own residence as you already have the right to defend yourself there.

It's just a matter of explaining that. I swear they're looking for a basic explanation to put in your app file as a CYA in case you do something really stupid with your firearm. If you can't articulate that then no permit - easy basic level qualifier.
Old 11-07-2018, 2:15 PM

Just to add to that.
When you go for an interview the investigators will tell you what to fix. They are very helpful.
Old 11-24-2018, 2:43 PM

Does anyone know if, with the election of Barnes, the need will still exist for a good cause statement as opposed to just exercising my 2nd amendment rights ?