Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 09-20-2018, 9:06 PM

Default Arcata, CA New Firearm Ordinance - We need your help ASAP

We need your help here in Arcata, CA. Please listen to this. This is Arcata City Council's meeting that took place September 19th 2018. The bulk of the meeting is about a firearm ordinance that requires all residents, even CCW holders, to always keep your gun locked in your safe at all times. No exceptions. Listen to all the council members opinions and interpretations of the law. Specifically listen to Council Member Paul Pitino. He openly want all guns off all streets. We need your help ASAP. Please reach out to them. Please help us. We are in Humboldt County. Look at our crime rate, per capita. Please watch this video. You can start at about 50 minutes in, that's when I talk. From there it's about an hour. You wont believe the things that are coming out of their mouths.

City Council Video:
http://arcataca.iqm2.com/Citizens/Sp...&Format=Agenda

City of Arcata Contact Info:

September 19th Agenda:
http://arcataca.iqm2.com/Citizens/De...g.aspx?ID=2036

Attached is the staff report.

Sofia Pereira - Mayor
SPereira@CityofArcata.org

Brett Watson - Vice-Mayor
BWatson@CityofArcata.org

Susan Ornelas - Councilmember
SOrnelas@CityofArcata.org

Paul Pitino - Council Member
PPitino@CityofArcata.org

Michael Winkler - Council Member
MWinkler@CityofArcata.org

Karen Diemer - City Manager
CityMgr@CityofArcata.org
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Snapshot-6654.pdf (134.8 KB, 37 views)
Old 09-21-2018, 11:00 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Rather than plow through a video (I didn’t), read the high school student petition, here: http://arcataca.iqm2.com/Citizens/Fi...MeetingID=2036

The draft ordinance, here: http://arcataca.iqm2.com/Citizens/Fi...MeetingID=2036

SF Police Code Section 4512, (virtually identical and upheld by court), here: http://library.amlegal.com/nxt/gatew...co_ca_m&sync=1
Old 09-21-2018, 4:15 PM

easy fix.. dont vote for democrats!!
Old 09-21-2018, 4:22 PM
Veteran Member

Just another unenforceable, feel good ordinance.
Old 09-21-2018, 4:26 PM
Calguns Addict

This ^^^ & stop spending in humboldt County, just pass on through to better beaches.
Old 09-22-2018, 12:29 AM

Location: Up in the hills, above the beach in the foggy redwoods

I just got home from a trip to Oregon applying for my Oregon Non-Resident Concealed Handgun License and saw this.

I have resided outside the "Peoples Democratic Republik of Arcata" City Limits (out in the County) for over 30 years now/ but with an Arcata mailing/ street address. The current Arcata City Council are nuttier than squirrel droppings. And some folks wonder why I have a license to carry a concealed weapon, and why I feel the need to be armed while in Arcata.

Besides this latest secure gun storage nonsense, the Arcata City Council did another feel good council vote to remove the Statue of President McKinley in the middle of the Plaza bowing to the latest outrage of the local and out of the area SJWs, and the current crop of imported loonies at good old Scumboldt State University - which I am sad to say I have two separate degrees from.

http://kiem-tv.com/2018/02/22/mckinl...-arcata-plaza/

That caused a blacklash from the locals in Arcata forcing the City Council to put the "Statute" decision on the November Ballot, which really upset the feel good causeheads.

Plus the imported HSU student of color from SoCal who was killed in April 2017 at an alcohol and drug fueled party of several hundred attendees, and the resulting mayhem with calls of rural Humboldt County being racist due to the crime not being solved immediately. With that many youngsters there, one would figure that someone would had taken videos with their smart phones.

Then with the one month anniversary of that killing, the "Justice For Whatshisname" students had a protest march from HSU to the Arcata City Hall and Police Department. From what I heard thru the local grapevine, the Mayor and Arcata City Council ordered Law Enforcement to stand down and take no action against the protesters, even with many phone calls for help/ assistance to 911 and local law enforcement phone numbers while it was happening.

https://lostcoastoutpost.com/2017/ma...nding-justice/

When finished there, the crowd went across the street and blocked the driveways to a local shopping center to promote their cause, by coercing the public to call the County DAs office in support of their cause in order to be let through the blockage of bodies.

Most recently a few weeks ago, the causeheads had another one of their protests and caused the Arcata City Council to cancel the scheduled meeting, and post new rules for attending Public Meetings to prevent outside agitation/ disruptive issues.

http://madriverunion.com/lawson-prot...uncil-chamber/

Then the protesters went for day two of disrupting the City Council meeting with another one of their temper tantrums...

https://madriverunion.com/arcata-cit...tails-tactics/

At least I try to "Fly The Colors" by wearing a Marine Corps ball cap, and have Marine Corps bumper stickers on my vehicles to irritate those Social Justice Warriors when I am within the Arcata City Limits, or down at the Arcata Veterans Hall. They seem hesitant to confront a tall (6'4") and large person (think of Mongo in the movie Blazzing Saddles/ or built like a Football Defensive Tackle), even if I have to walk with a cane.

Let alone showing up armed and in a dress uniform with the local Veteran's Honor Guard and firing the traditional rifle salute within the Arcata City Limits for events such as Veterans Funerals, ceremonies for Memorial Day, Veteran's Day, or Pearl Harbor Day. I'm the Jarhead on the far right in the photo... In the past I have had youngsters in Arcata call me "Baby Killer", and my reply is usually "Where is your kid, since you should not obviously reproduce"!

Just remember that the current Mayor is up for re-election in November, for those City of Arcata residents who can vote on that issue!

I just watched the video, and I see that Susan Ornelas and her husband Bob the former City Council member were not present for this City Council meeting. The City Council did acknowledge CCW License holders as far as this pending City Ordnance.

Last edited by Humboldt Leatherneck; 09-22-2018 at 1:59 AM.. Reason: to add image
Old 09-22-2018, 4:52 AM
Veteran Member

LOL at 58 minutes!:

"Has anyone ever considered tranquilizing people instead of putting holes in their body?"

It would be hilarious if it wasn't so sad.

"You want my sister but now scam my Glocks too?
How about my sister? what can she do now? Still virgin and need Glcok."

---ARegularGuy

NRA Patron Member
Old 09-22-2018, 12:55 PM

I'd like to see Arcata residents try this:

Call their local council rep and demand all car keys, fobs and alcohol be locked up at all times too.

Call their local rep and say the caller is taking a page from the state government and will resist any gun storage laws by not complying.

Call their local council rep and propose that all dems in city government need to be removed from their positions and locked away in straight jackets. They certainly give enough reasons as to why.

It's pretty obvious that traditional civic objections are pointless while other uncivic methods get results - reread Humboldt Leatherneck's post again.
Old 09-22-2018, 1:01 PM
Veteran Member

With you in solidarity and phone calls made for all the good it will do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-22-2018, 3:22 PM

Literally the heller case. They cannot require you to keep it locked inside your home Or other private property
Old 09-22-2018, 9:15 PM

Bummer

Have you asked about their position on Black people violence.

Also their position on non binary sex mental illness or people that survive on government dole bleeding us tax payers dry or single mothers who have children that at like X10 disproportionally mothers of mass shooters or the use of PROZAC the leading cause of mass shootings.

But the lowly gun owner needs the enforcement of government.....go figure...
Old 09-22-2018, 9:45 PM
Calguns Addict

They can suck eggs. State preemption makes it unenforceable.

They can create all the ordinances they want about sales, but on storage of ownership in the home, or handling of guns in the home, no.

Old 09-23-2018, 7:57 AM
I need a LIFE!!

It's a hippie town, expected.
Old 09-23-2018, 8:23 AM

Complete morons. I can't wait for the system to completely collapse.
ATF does NOT consider a Flare Gun to be a firearm but the Police Chief in the video seems to think it is a Firearm.

Last edited by DolphinFan; 09-23-2018 at 8:27 AM..
Old 09-23-2018, 8:32 AM

Arcata can suck a bag of *****. Good to meet the other Humboldt residents though

Problem with Arcata is that it is the epicenter of the modern weed culture here. And subsequently, it has seen a bloom of moronic violence. But, of course, the idiots running the town raking in all of the illegitimate money do not see it that way. The guns are the problem
Old 09-23-2018, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy93 View Post
Literally the heller case. They cannot require you to keep it locked inside your home Or other private property
Really? Tell that the San Francisco, whose ordinance was upheld by the Ninth Circuit (cert denied). Or LA, who basically copied that ordinance, with some changes. The ordinance is written to get as close to the D.C ordinance litigated in Heller without actually crossing into that territory, for example by not requiring that guns be disassembled and locked up, with ammo locked up in a different room. This ordinance allow your guns to be fully loaded as long as they are on your person, and that's how it avoided the Heller ruling. (Yes, it was a complete snub to Heller.)
Old 09-23-2018, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALI-gula View Post
They can suck eggs. State preemption makes it unenforceable.

They can create all the ordinances they want about sales, but on storage of ownership in the home, or handling of guns in the home, no.

The Ninth Circuit held that the identical San Francisco ordinance is NOT pre-empted by state law.
Old 09-25-2018, 7:59 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Jah View Post
It's a hippie town, expected.
Exactly this ^

I lived there during my college years (late 70's) and it was a college town full of hippies. It's still a college town now, but likely filled more with liberal indoctrinated millennials.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member

Maybe we should ask them for a marijuana ordinance. Tell them that all the pot smoke is harmful you know for the children.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:50 AM

Do you think the city council members that smoke dope obey the law?

I wouldn't worry about their bs gun laws in my home.

No more dems, rinos, commies, , pinkos, crooks, pedos, frauds, idiots, lunatics, wanna be dictators or traitors.

No old fools for President from any party.

The demonstrators who infiltrated the Capitol have defiled the seat of American democracy. Donald J. Trump 1/7/21
Old 09-25-2018, 2:32 PM

There was talk about this Sunday at our match. Several folks live in Arcata. Bottom line is unless they start kicking in doors there is no way for them to enforce this law. And a responsible gun owner following the state laws regarding when children are present are not going to get cross wise with the law. It will make them feel good, but in the end it will change nothing.
Old 09-25-2018, 4:40 PM

And this does nothing for the scumbag criminal rats who carry anyway?
Old 09-25-2018, 5:03 PM

at 38 min city attorney says ordinance requires firearm to be locked or disabled unless on the person.

I fail to see the harm of an ordinance that still allows lawful carry but requires safe storage.
Old 09-25-2018, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumark2 View Post
at 38 min city attorney says ordinance requires firearm to be locked or disabled unless on the person.

I fail to see the harm of an ordinance that still allows lawful carry but requires safe storage.
Because we already have laws on the state level that cover safe storage when children are present, which is the real issue. I live in Eureka. We have lots vagrants, drugs, and other undesirables. I have no children. Just a wife and a dog. I keep a loaded .45 in the drawer of my nightstand.

This law would require me to actually be strapped while I was asleep in order to be legal if I was in Arcata. Now, how freaking stupid is that??
Old 09-26-2018, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Unenforceable, unless they later add a law that allows law enforcement to search your home just because you have registered firearms... do you see the slope and how slippery it can get.
Old 09-26-2018, 4:43 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy93 View Post
They will ignore it like everything else. This state does not care what FEDS say nor what a SCOTUS says.

Thank your neighbor and fellow gun owners for passing Prop 63. For that gun control is a winning legislative agenda.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
NRA Life Member.
Old 09-26-2018, 8:17 PM

It's really amazing the difference of people when youre in town or out in the county around here. Just shows the great divide we are in.
Old 09-26-2018, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshill View Post
Unenforceable, unless they later add a law that allows law enforcement to search your home just because you have registered firearms... do you see the slope and how slippery it can get.
Generally speaking you are absolutely correct. The police cannot search without permission or a warrant supported by probable cause. which won't happen unless something bad goes down in your house. and if that something bad has to do with a minor and your firearm, this ordinance will be the least of your worries. This is what is called "virtue signalling" (i.e., making useless noise) and snubbing your nose at the Supreme Court's Heller decision (and getting away with it). If the ordinnce is enacted, a decision by a federal court is a foregone conclusion after the SF case; the only remedy would be in Humboldt County Superior Court.
Old 09-26-2018, 9:33 PM

Quote:

"Safe storage" when there are children present, but say you are single or married without children or grandchildren and no children come to visit. Do you really want to keep your nightstand gun unloaded and under lock and key? What's the point? More importantly, how much time will you waste fumbling around in the dark trying to arm yourself when there is a prowler in your house?
Old 09-27-2018, 1:08 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruOil View Post
"Safe storage" when there are children present, but say you are single or married without children or grandchildren and no children come to visit. Do you really want to keep your nightstand gun unloaded and under lock and key? What's the point? More importantly, how much time will you waste fumbling around in the dark trying to arm yourself when there is a prowler in your house?
What you talkin' bout nightstand gun... doesn't everyone here sleep with their EDC in a sticky holster IWB in their jammies?
Old 09-27-2018, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshill View Post
What you talkin' bout nightstand gun... doesn't everyone here sleep with their EDC in a sticky holster IWB in their jammies?
Hahahaha! Thanks, I needed that! Gives new meaning to your wife saying, "put that thing back in it's holster, cowboy!"
Old 09-27-2018, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruOil View Post
Generally speaking you are absolutely correct. The police cannot search without permission or a warrant supported by probable cause. which won't happen unless something bad goes down in your house. and if that something bad has to do with a minor and your firearm, this ordinance will be the least of your worries. This is what is called "virtue signalling" (i.e., making useless noise) and snubbing your nose at the Supreme Court's Heller decision (and getting away with it). If the ordinnce is enacted, a decision by a federal court is a foregone conclusion after the SF case; the only remedy would be in Humboldt County Superior Court.
Just going to throw out the Police CAN search whenever they want. Whether they do so legally is irrelevant if you do not have the time and money to stand up for your rights. Sometimes the ends do justify the means, especially in law "enforcement." This has happened to me in Humboldt County, so believe your *** it can happen elsewhere in the PRK.
Old 10-01-2018, 9:51 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt Leatherneck View Post
I have resided outside the "Peoples Democratic Republik of Arcata" City Limits (out in the County) for over 30 years now/ but with an Arcata mailing/ street address. The current Arcata City Council are nuttier than squirrel droppings. And some folks wonder why I have a license to carry a concealed weapon, and why I feel the need to be armed while in Arcata.

Besides this latest secure gun storage nonsense, the Arcata City Council did another feel good council vote to remove the Statue of President McKinley in the middle of the Plaza bowing to the latest outrage of the local and out of the area SJWs, and the current crop of imported loonies at good old Scumboldt State University - which I am sad to say I have two separate degrees from.

http://kiem-tv.com/2018/02/22/mckinl...-arcata-plaza/

That caused a blacklash from the locals in Arcata forcing the City Council to put the "Statute" decision on the November Ballot, which really upset the feel good causeheads.
HSU students use to keep the statue clean in the ‘50’s, that’s my Dad on top, he played offensive left tackle for HSU, Fred Whitmire was their QB back then. My Dad gratuated in ‘59 and accepted a commission in the Marine Corps.

What do you wanna bet that they all went to The Boot afterwards and had a beer...

From the HSU 1959 yearbook “Sempervirens”

.........??????????...... <a href=http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/signaturepics/sigpic165916_5.gif target=_blank>http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ic165916_5.gif</a>
???Everyone's a Garand expert until the Garand expert walks in the room and I have only met 3, Scott Duff, Bruce Canfield & Gus Fisher

Last edited by MeatyMac; 10-01-2018 at 9:55 AM..
Old 10-01-2018, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatyMac View Post
HSU students use to keep the statue clean in the ‘50’s, that’s my Dad on top, he played offensive left tackle for HSU, Fred Whitmire was their QB back then. My Dad gratuated in ‘59 and accepted a commission in the Marine Corps.

What do you wanna bet that they all went to The Boot afterwards and had a beer...

From the HSU 1959 yearbook “Sempervirens”
MeatyMac - Well after this year, Humboldt State University will no longer have a football team!
Plus depending on how the registered City of Arcata citizens vote in November, maybe no more statue of President McKinley on the Arcata Plaza...

https://lostcoastoutpost.com/2018/oc...gainst-removi/

Today the current President of HSU announced that she is retiring at the end of the school year/ after royally screwing things up at HSU for the last several years.

https://lostcoastoutpost.com/2018/oc...es-retirement/

For those who have been following the Arcata City Council, and their over the top weirdness - In watching the video link posted by the OP (who has not been back), Council Member Paul Pitino who towards the end wants to get rid of all guns, sides with the looney tunes who have had their disruptive protests.

In the 3rd link I had posted above, he stayed behind with the protesters that shut down the City Council Meeting and Pitino maintained his presence at the back of the chamber. "The restrooms are open, we've got food, we've got music," he said. Pitino wondered how many of the occupying protesters were Arcata citizens.

Plus the missing Council Member Susan Ornelas had stated earlier in the year "that the cause for Arcata in 2018 should be Genocide".

https://www.northcoastjournal.com/Ne...nley-vote#more

She emphasized that she was not backing down from her vote to take McKinley down, saying it was evident to her that the statue was offensive and “he shouldn’t be in our living room,” while adding she thought maybe the city could have a theme for the year to help educate local residents about the 25th president, his policies and local history, including the atrocities committed against Native peoples.

“That’s been the joke: My favorite lecture — genocide,” she said, eliciting gasps and outraged murmurs from the crowd, before saying she was sorry. The last speaker of the night called out her comment “disgraceful,” “stupid” and “ignorant” words that “should not be present at a city forum.”

When the conversation turned back to the council, Ornelas quickly stated that the man who had just spoken was absolutely correct.

“So, I really want to offer a deep apology,” she said.

Then, after nearly four hours of public comment, Ornelas made her pronouncement that she now realized her suggestion of a public vote — emphasizing “that’s all it was” — had sown misunderstanding.

Saying she was just trying to respond to residents who felt their voices hadn’t been heard, Ornelas acknowledged the way she originally presented the idea might have been confusing but also said it became “twisted in the media.”

<<----------------------------------------------->>

I have had to go into Arcata for an industrial medical appointment at least once a week for years, and my health care providers have had NO ISSUES with my having a weapon in their building and carrying a concealed firearm then. So if the Arcata City Council wants to pass their feel good anti-gun ordinance, do I have to secure my weapon, even if it is in the same treatment room 3 feet away from where I am?

Or, what if I were to be at a Military Funeral for a Veteran inside the Arcata City Limits, and then go back to the Veteran's Hall to clean the M-1 Garands used.

Will I become a law breaker, if I am downstairs in the middle of the process of cleaning and oiling the weapons used in a Veterans Ceremony and have to make a head call (use the restroom) upstairs. Will the Arcata PD show up and arrest me for leaving the rifles outside the arms locker/ gun safe inside the locked 'County Building'? Yes the Arcata Veteran's Hall is owned and maintained by the County of Humboldt.

I am soooooo glad that I reside outside of the Arcata City Limits, and out from under the declared for our own good rules that the current crop of elected wanna be feel gooders that ignore the wishes of residents, and pander their City Government goals to the SJWs from out of the area.
Old 10-01-2018, 4:44 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt Leatherneck View Post
I have had to go into Arcata for an industrial medical appointment at least once a week for years, and my health care providers have had NO ISSUES with my having a weapon in their building and carrying a concealed firearm then. So if the Arcata City Council wants to pass their feel good anti-gun ordinance, do I have to secure my weapon, even if it is in the same treatment room 3 feet away from where I am?

Or, what if I were to be at a Military Funeral for a Veteran inside the Arcata City Limits, and then go back to the Veteran's Hall to clean the M-1 Garands used.

Will I become a law breaker, if I am downstairs in the middle of the process of cleaning and oiling the weapons used in a Veterans Ceremony and have to make a head call (use the restroom) upstairs. Will the Arcata PD show up and arrest me for leaving the rifles outside the arms locker/ gun safe inside the locked 'County Building'? Yes the Arcata Veteran's Hall is owned and maintained by the County of Humboldt.
Perhaps it would be wise to actually read the proposed ordinance, especially the part which says:
Quote:
Sec. 1. Prohibition
No person shall keep a firearm within any Residence unless the Firearm is stored in a Locked Container or disabled with a Trigger Lock.
The concerns you've raised aren't a part of this stupid concept.

Best.
Old 10-01-2018, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
Perhaps it would be wise to actually read the proposed ordinance, especially the part which says:The concerns you've raised aren't a part of this stupid concept.

Best.
You underestimate the far reaching concept discussed in the video of the last Arcata City Council meeting that the OP linked to in his post, where the Arcata City Council Members discussed "that CCW license holders must keep their weapons on them at all times within the Arcata City Limits, unless they are secured in a safe or disabled by locks".

In years past while doing my Veterans activities within the Arcata City Limits, anytime we discharged our weapons for the traditional 3 round rifle salute using ceremonial crimped blank ammunition (no projectiles), we notified the Arcata Police Department before the Funeral/ Ceremony. Some of the responding officers questioned the legality of our having firearms in public, let alone firing them within the Arcata City Limits. Luckily at the time, the then Police Chief of the Arcata Police Department Randy Mendoza/ and then later Chief Tom Chapman let the officers know that we were doing a legal action. It will be interesting to see what the interim Police Chief Ehle will decide, after he rules that if a flare gun used on boats is actually a firearm...
Old 10-01-2018, 5:27 PM

It's picking up some traction now. Firearms Policy Coalition just posted about it! Please sign their petition! Thank you.https://www.firearmspolicy.org/oppos...rage_ordinance
Old 10-01-2018, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman1979 View Post
It's picking up some traction now. Firearms Policy Coalition just posted about it! Please sign their petition! Thank you.https://www.firearmspolicy.org/oppos...rage_ordinance
Thanks for the link OP, I just sent mine out, along with my own personal email to the Arcata City Council and the City Manager opposing their proposed safe gun storage ordinance.
Old 10-01-2018, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman1979 View Post
In watching the video that you were in OP, I am surprised that you were not booed or heckled by the citizens there at the time, in the Arcata City Council Chambers...
Old 10-17-2018, 8:46 PM

Well, the city voted to pass this along for a final vote. The good news is they at least understood the stupidity of saying that it was ok to carry, but you could not have a gun in your nightstand. They voted to parrot the state language that says the gun can be on your person or within your immediate control. So basically what they are requiring is that you must lock up your guns when you are not home.