Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 09-22-2018, 8:52 AM
Calguns Addict

Default One more thing I miss being retired

The days where going to qualify meant I could put a few hundred rounds though my guns, making cleaning worthwhile. Spent more time cleaning the them after qualifying yesterday then I did actually shooting them.
Old 09-22-2018, 9:59 AM
Veteran Member

Range time is the best at work: paid to shoot guns and ammo that someone else paid for at a place someone else maintains! Another bonus is that the more political staff members seem to avoid range time/spend as little time there as possible. And I like using that time to give a good detail clean to all my other metal bits of equipment..
Stay classy, CGF and Calguns.
Old 09-22-2018, 2:03 PM

The county I retired from has a Sheriff that has a yearly retiree breakfast. While there you can qualify with your retirement guns, get a updated ID card, and get to talk to fellow retirees that I haven't seen for sometime.
Also has the range open for regulars and retirees for reasonable amount days a month.
No set amount of guns you can qualify with. The qualification is documented so you have a record of all the guns you have qualified with.
Old 09-22-2018, 3:12 PM

Another sign of how much things have changed. At my dept range days for active sworn is like pulling teeth. Everyone is offered several hours of shooting but most only do the bare minimum qual and leave. There are guys/gals here and there that take advantage but for the most part they will shoot around 30 rounds and there for about 20 mins. I would love to have more coworkers that took shooting more seriously. It's only one of the most important job skills we have.
Old 09-22-2018, 3:48 PM

I miss shooting various machine guns we had at the office.
Old 09-22-2018, 4:13 PM
Veteran Member

Egg salad in a brown bag?
Old 09-22-2018, 6:34 PM

Retired almost 2 years ago. Was a rangemaster, I really miss firing all the full auto toys.
Old 09-23-2018, 6:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro911 View Post
I miss shooting various machine guns we had at the office.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangemasterP226 View Post
Retired almost 2 years ago. Was a rangemaster, I really miss firing all the full auto toys.
Well yeah there's that too, but then again I've put a couple thousand rounds through MP5's it's kind of lost the sparkle it once had. It's still fun though especially if someone else is paying for the ammo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt1372 View Post
LOL!

I hardly ever clean my guns and they all still go bang.

My next qualifying session is in a few weeks. Shot the 2 guns I'm qualifying with (my dept is one of those that requires you to qualify w/the specific gun you want to carry, like a CCW) extensively last week at the range; had to tinker w/the sights. Put at least 300 rounds through each doing that. Have no intention of cleaning them b4 or after my qualifying session.

Never failed to qualify and cleaning a gun never made any difference in accuracy or function for me but if you are one of those who likes to keep their guns spotless, more power to you.
I think that cleaning bug is something I got from my dad, who was meticulous about cleaning. Probably from his experience in the Pacific during the war.

Worst part is I don't know anyone there since the city decided to disband the department and go contract with the SO. We're kind of the red headed step child. Which is funny because the carbine training course they are still using today was written by my range partner and I. Well plagiarized with permission from the guy who wrote the instructor's course.
Old 09-25-2018, 8:25 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt1372 View Post
... I hardly ever clean my guns and they all still go bang.

Never failed to qualify and cleaning a gun never made any difference in accuracy or function for me but if you are one of those who likes to keep their guns spotless, more power to you.
In 40 years since by lawman career begun I have seen plenty of epic fails.

Glocks, Berettas and even revolvers. Lets not even get started on 1911s.

Some people can not use tools properly so it does not surprise me some people are clueless on firearms.
Old 09-25-2018, 2:05 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Che762x39 View Post
In 40 years since by lawman career begun I have seen plenty of epic fails.

Glocks, Berettas and even revolvers. Lets not even get started on 1911s.

Some people can not use tools properly so it does not surprise me some people are clueless on firearms.
Yup, there was once a (long since retired) staff member who checked to see if shotgun was loaded by pointing it at the roof of his patrol car and pulling the trigger. Yes, it was loaded.

Another time a different staff officer leaving a recoil spring at the range after cleaning his firearm. Range staff was frantic trying to figure out who didn’t have their handgun put together right
Stay classy, CGF and Calguns.
Old 09-25-2018, 3:36 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

What do I miss about being retired? Nothing. Did my time and have moved on to the rest of my life. Way to much to get done before I go to relive my glory days!! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazoE
I don't feel a thing when some cop gets ghosted.
Old 09-26-2018, 2:36 PM

Sorry, I dont know a thing about this---what does qualifying involve? And, why does a cop have to qualify to keep a gun in retirement? Are these special guns of some sort?
Old 09-26-2018, 4:56 PM

OIC! Thank you. If I understand this then, the keyword here is concealed carry, not retirement. The way I was reading the posts, it seemed being an ex-policeman was forcing the annual qualification, but its concealed carry that does. Im sorry to seem ignorant about this.

What does qualifying involve? Is it proficiency in breaking down a weapon? Meeting a certain target score? Are corrective lenses allowed? What are the obstacles that make it difficult to pass a qualification?
Old 09-26-2018, 5:41 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesV View Post
OIC! Thank you. If I understand this then, the keyword here is concealed carry, not retirement. The way I was reading the posts, it seemed being an ex-policeman was forcing the annual qualification, but its concealed carry that does. Im sorry to seem ignorant about this.

What does qualifying involve? Is it proficiency in breaking down a weapon? Meeting a certain target score? Are corrective lenses allowed? What are the obstacles that make it difficult to pass a qualification?
Every dept. is different I would imagine. My former one requires that you are able to safely and proficiently handle whatever gun you have brought for qualification. I always bring a revolver and a semi auto, tho I normally carry a semi as my ccw now that I'm retired. They do not have us break the weapon down. Some depts.' qualification course is static and some are dynamic. If someone is unable to run or walk fast enough to qualify time wise in addition to target hits, that will be their obstacle.

We have a certain amount of rounds we fire and they all have to be in the black. Corrective lenses are permitted for an active officer, so by the same token, they are for the retiree (within a certain standard as when active).

I would say that age, mobility and sight deterioration are going to be obstacles we retirees will all face. Altho it will be difficult, if I live long enough (mom was 94) that those factors or anyone of them will make it unsafe for me to carry, I'll turn in my ccw and give my guns to my kids early. I believe age and sight will be the two biggest detriments to qualifying. Just being in a wheelchair or a walker doesn't mean one can't qualify.
Old 09-26-2018, 6:23 PM

I didnt want to say it but yes, age, sight, mobility. Im 64 and doing fine but a man's got to know his limitations, right. Ive been riding motorcycles since I was 13 and last year was the first time of an instance of demonstrating poor judgement based on one of the above. When I start piling up those instances, I'll stop riding. For guns, if I really just cant shoot well at all i'll give them up except for one simple revolver for bedside and i'll give up that one too when I can no longer pull the hammer back. I dont know how best to answer this as im not in the space yet. Maybe I quit altogether. Although, my dad just turned 90 and can still shoot! We'll see.

So, would you say that the target course in one of the Dirty Harry movies was accurate, that you move about a course shooting bad guys that pop up and out of windows, then fail the test if you shoot a good guy?
Old 09-26-2018, 6:50 PM

Yup, All the free ammo was great. My Rangemaster would let me shoot extra when we did old ammo exchange.
Old 09-26-2018, 7:44 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
So, would you say that the target course in one of the Dirty Harry movies was accurate, that you move about a course shooting bad guys that pop up and out of windows, then fail the test if you shoot a good guy?
NO, that was not accurate, and besides that was supposed to have been a competition. I've been to SFPD's range, and they do not have that set up. I'm betting it was built for the movie somewhere outside the city. Most movement courses will be similar to a stage of fire for matches for various competitions with multiple targets and timed. That was all my department shot from about 1986 on.

The course I shot was a static course, only movement front to back. Fired 36 rounds (I don't know who came up with that number or why PIA with a J frame). Had to score better than 85% hit's inside the 9 ring on a standard B27 target. Anything below 85% was shoot again.
Old 01-31-2019, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzernie View Post
What do I miss about being retired? Nothing. Did my time and have moved on to the rest of my life. Way to much to get done before I go to relive my glory days!! LOL
This is the goal
Old 02-02-2019, 4:00 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
It varies between departments and states. I retired from a CA. agency, however live in AZ.

AZ DPS offers retired LEO's who reside in AZ the opportunity to qualify here and AZ will issue a AZ DPS proof of qualification which meets the LEOSA standard.

The course of qualification is the same as active duty LEO's here in AZ. 50 rounds at various distances between 25 and 3 yards. Strong hand and weak hand. From the holster and from the low ready. including different types of failure drills and types of reloading. All timed. It's pretty challenging.

If I were to travel back to my dept. in Ca. all I would have to do is put 20 of 30 rounds into a standard target... Much less challenging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.
Old 02-02-2019, 4:07 PM

Our qual is 30 rounds. Lol
Old 02-02-2019, 8:29 PM

Quote:

We qualify every quarter. The regular quals are a dynamic course of fire, 45 rds, from a holster. For off duty quals (active and retired), it's usually at the discretion of the rangemaster on duty that day. Since people are usually doing their CCW with pocket guns of various makes, models and magazine capacity, it's hard to run a line to accommodate everyone. So, we typically shoot a traditional 36 rd static course of fire ("point and shoot") at a B27 target, various distances, from a holster. The passing score for off-duty weapons is the same as the regular quals, but they're really just looking for you to demonstrate safe operation of the CCW weapon you've chosen and that you can get put enough rounds in the middle.

Weapon breakdown is not required and corrective lenses are ok. I think the only challenges I've seen for our retired guys is maybe a little bit of arthritis in their hands or bad knees; but I have not seen any unsafe weapon handling.

Quote:

No, but we do that kind of training every year on a "simulator screen" program. The officer uses a laser-operated training weapon to address situations as they are presented on a huge video screen. The officer talks to the suspects on the movie screen as if it were a real scenario and an instructor in the back of the room uses a computer to control the actions of the "suspect" in response to how well the officer is handling the situation. If force is required, we have laser guns and laser pepper spray (etc) to "shoot" the screen and the computer program is able to tell if you hit the correct target. Cool stuff.

Thank you for asking!

Last edited by BadKitty; 02-02-2019 at 8:40 PM..