Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 4:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default If you think your job is stressful, try being a police officer.

What did you do at work today?

If you think your job is stressful, try being a police officer.

http://blutube.policeone.com/Media/5...-at-work-today
Old 02-10-2011, 6:08 PM

Thank you.

Many people just dont get it. I dont work in a particularly busy city but working alone definitely gets to my nerves.

Justin
Old 02-10-2011, 7:00 PM
Veteran Member

thanks for sharing... great video
Old 02-10-2011, 7:21 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Wow, all the things that most people do not think about.
Old 02-10-2011, 7:56 PM
CGSSA OC Chapter Leader

Well, not to be too contrarian, but. . the VAST majority of officers will NEVER pull their gun. NEVER confron an armed suspect, and actually have a far lower chance of being hurt or killed and crab fishermen or lobstermen according to this:
http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2009/09...angerous-jobs/

Law enforcement statistically didn't even make the top ten most dangerous jobs according to mortality rates. And while LE did rank #4 in total fatalities in 2008 according to the survey, there were only 33 homicides.

That's nationwide. In areas like where I live (South OC) there are virtually no police deaths (not none oc course), but a statistically microscopic number.

Even one police officer killed is too many, but. . . I don't here anyone mourning farmers and truck drivers who get paid much less, have no pensions or unions, and die or get injured MUCH more frequently. (Sorry LEOS)
Old 02-10-2011, 8:00 PM
Former cabinetguy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
What did you do at work today?

If you think your job is stressful, try being a police officer.

http://blutube.policeone.com/Media/5...-at-work-today
being an electrician, I empathies completely. dangerous jobs are stressful

Can’t somebody do something?!?!?!?!
Old 02-10-2011, 8:03 PM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

Throw your average farmer or truck driver in a uniform with a badge and see how well he does. The mortality rate of police officers isn't because the job isnt dangerous, it's because most of them are really good at what they do.
Old 02-10-2011, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djandj View Post
Well, not to be too contrarian, but. . the VAST majority of officers will NEVER pull their gun. NEVER confron an armed suspect, and actually have a far lower chance of being hurt or killed and crab fishermen or lobstermen according to this:

Law enforcement statistically didn't even make the top ten most dangerous jobs according to mortality rates. And while LE did rank #4 in total fatalities in 2008 according to the survey, there were only 33 homicides.

That's nationwide. In areas like where I live (South OC) there are virtually no police deaths (not none oc course), but a statistically microscopic number.

Even one police officer killed is too many, but. . . I don't here anyone mourning farmers and truck drivers who get paid much less, have no pensions or unions, and die or get injured MUCH more frequently. (Sorry LEOS)
Who is trying to kill farmers and truck drivers simply because they are farmers and truck drivers? Do farmers and truck drivers go to work daily worrying they will be called (possibly multiple times) to confront someone who is possibly and or likely to be armed and hates them? Do they get to see children killed by their parents, killed by stupid drivers, raped, abused, and neglected? Do they get to see the people who hung themselves, shot themselves, or just took pills and left a frigin' note to each of their kids asking them to forgive them and please not forget them?

You sir, while quick to find disconnected and narrowly-defined statistical data, have no clue the physical and emotional stress involved in law enforcement. To say the vast majority of officers will never draw their gun or confront an armed suspect simply confirms your lack of knowledge...Every single deputy I know who has worked at my station has drawn their gun. I have confronted multiple armed suspects...sometimes multiple armed suspects in one shift, sometimes multiple armed suspects at the same time.

I love my job, and don't mistake the above as a complaint. It is a statement of reality. Some of us know more reality than others will ever know. Sorry non LEO's.
Old 02-10-2011, 8:10 PM
Former cabinetguy
CGN Contributor

sigh, Throw your average police officer on a roof with a box of romex and a tool belt..........

Last edited by five.five-six; 02-10-2011 at 8:16 PM..
Old 02-10-2011, 8:14 PM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

And he's not going to get shot, stabbed or run over because of lack of training. He may wind up some ugly wiring that works intermittently, but nobodies going to be dead.
Old 02-10-2011, 8:15 PM
CGSSA Associate

I'll pass. Community wants action now while wanting major restraints on the officers. Hats off to the good ones, too bad the screwballs give a bad image to the rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nose Nuggets View Post
5 guys, hot damn thats some good eat'n.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyromensch View Post
damn, i duped my own thread...first time i did a poll
Old 02-10-2011, 8:17 PM
Former cabinetguy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
Who is trying to kill farmers and truck drivers simply because they are farmers and truck drivers? Do farmers and truck drivers go to work daily worrying they will be called (possibly multiple times) to confront someone who is possibly and or likely to be armed and hates them? ~snip~

if BGs trying to kill you is to stressful for someone, perhaps LE is a poor vocational choice for that person.

Old 02-10-2011, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Who is trying to kill farmers and truck drivers simply because they are farmers and truck drivers? Do farmers and truck drivers go to work daily worrying they will be called (possibly multiple times) to confront someone who is possibly and or likely to be armed and hates them? Do they get to see children killed by their parents, killed by stupid drivers, raped, abused, and neglected? Do they get to see the people who hung themselves, shot themselves, or just took pills and left a frigin' note to each of their kids asking them to forgive them and please not forget them?

You sir, while quick to find disconnected and narrowly-defined statistical data, have no clue the physical and emotional stress involved in law enforcement. To say the vast majority of officers will never draw their gun or confront an armed suspect simply confirms your lack of knowledge...Every single deputy I know who has worked at my station has drawn their gun. I have confronted multiple armed suspects...sometimes multiple armed suspects in one shift, sometimes multiple armed suspects at the same time.

I love my job, and don't mistake the above as a complaint. It is a statement of reality. Some of us know more reality than others will ever know. Sorry non LEO's.
+1. I'm actually surprised it took that long for the "LE is not the deadliest job" people to show up.
Old 02-10-2011, 8:18 PM

I am an old school guy so I like these two excerpts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW0RAiVuBL8&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9CxT48jIgI&NR=1
Old 02-10-2011, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post
if BGs trying to kill you is to stressful for someone, perhaps LE is a poor vocational choice for that person.
And then there are these types. Give it a rest.
Old 02-10-2011, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djandj View Post

You don't understand. The death visited upon police officers is at the hands of their fellow man. It is not a result of being hurt in some isolated area with no access to medical facilities. Granted, there are other jobs where people die at a higher rate. No one has said otherwise. But there is no job other than law enforcement in it's various guises where the death and violence are perpetrated by another person.

That's not to mention the emotional toll it can take. Social workers and the like also see the tragedy officers encounter. When you see a 5 year old boy crying on the toilet because he can't go to the bathroom due to some unspeakable act committed on him by his neighbor down the hall, it changes you. It actually hurts. In a way you'll never know.
Old 02-10-2011, 8:25 PM
Former cabinetguy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by meangreen46 View Post
And then there are these types. Give it a rest.
I did not start a thread about how dangerous my job is, and it is much more dangerous than a LE's job

point is that much of the respect LEs deserve is for choosing a profession which puts themselves in harm's way for the publics good. Whining about the dangers of the job sort of blows that respect out the window

Old 02-10-2011, 8:27 PM

Jesus, the scene at 37 seconds was hard to watch. Any more info on what happened there?
Old 02-10-2011, 8:29 PM

Quote:
I did not start a thread about how dangerous my job is, and it is much more dangerous than a LE's job

point is that much of the respect LEs deserve is for choosing a profession which puts themselves in harm's way for the publics good. Whining about the dangers of the job sort of blows that respect out the window
Who's whining? You seem to find your way to these LEO posts way too often with nothing but negative stuff to say. Not one LEO on this board ever has the "poor me" attitude. Why not try keeping it to yourself for once?

Last edited by meangreen46; 02-10-2011 at 8:33 PM..
Old 02-10-2011, 8:43 PM

Just thought of something...Those brilliant statistics cited in the death rating above...I noticed there were NO military positions in the list...anywhere.

I guess that job isn't stressful or dangerous either...I guess farmers should just sign up for the .mil and roll over to Afganistan or Iraq...Since it's safer.

Gotta love Mark Twain..."There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics."
Old 02-10-2011, 8:52 PM

Quote:

Exactly what LEs are whining in this thread? The only whiner here is you, for feeling the need to compare your job as an electrician to a police officer. Perhaps you should watch the video before you start pounding the keyboard.
Old 02-10-2011, 8:55 PM

Quote:
How do you know how you will deal with that stress until it happens?
Old 02-10-2011, 8:58 PM
Former cabinetguy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by meangreen46 View Post
Who's whining?

IDK, did you read the thread title :confiused:

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerm14 View Post
How do you know how you will deal with that stress until it happens?
peopel change careers every day... it's like the first time I was working on a ladder and got zaped, I could have quit and found a safer job which might not have the same pay/benifits, but I just manned up

Last edited by five.five-six; 02-10-2011 at 9:00 PM..
Old 02-10-2011, 9:04 PM

Hey electrician, any reason you had to go, "hey hey look at me!"?
Old 02-10-2011, 9:07 PM
Former cabinetguy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
let's just start over with this

Old 02-10-2011, 9:08 PM

Quote:
peopel change careers every day... it's like the first time I was working on a ladder and got zaped, I could have quit and found a safer job which might not have the same pay/benifits, but I just manned up
And that's what you get for just reading the title instead of taking the OPs posting as a whole......like the rest of us did. He was simply pointing out that being a cop is not as easy as most people like to believe. He even posted in the LEO forum since most of us can relate to the video.
Old 02-10-2011, 9:09 PM

There is someone bigger/badder than me out there somewhere.

I train everyday for the day I meet him or her.

And:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
Throw your average farmer or truck driver in a uniform with a badge and see how well he does. The mortality rate of police officers isn't because the job isnt dangerous, it's because most of them are really good at what they do.
There is a very subtle point being made here. Very poignant as well.

Last edited by Triad; 02-10-2011 at 9:12 PM..
Old 02-10-2011, 9:12 PM
Former cabinetguy
CGN Contributor

who ever said that being a LEO is easy? But it is a dang good job, with darn good bennies and perks. I assume that it's well worth the stresses and constant dangers that go with it. If not, I would go find another job

Old 02-10-2011, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Quote:
sigh, Throw your average police officer on a roof with a box of romex and a tool belt..........
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
let's just start over with this
Old 02-10-2011, 9:14 PM

To me, that's still a hey hey look at me post. I don't doubt some electricians have it rough. But I think the poster was trying to share something with the other community members here who were interested and not put down anyone else.

I don't think anyone is whining either. You want to share some war stories of when people tried to shoot you, or you accidently ran into an ugly situation while responding to a house call, go for it. You want some advice on something, you can ask. You want to go talk to someone, you can go see a professional. But trying to put down someone else while boasting about yourself was totally unnecesary here. Just my opinion.
Old 02-10-2011, 9:18 PM

RESPECT TO ALL LE, FD, AND MILITARY and anybody else willing to risk anything for another being. there is no need to flex nuts on this thread. dont be an ***. everybody whines, *****es, gripes and complains at some point but the fact of the matter is that they get up and do their job to the fullest and thats all that is asked from them and a lot of people go above and beyond when they didnt have to. it doesnt matter if the LEO or whoever was sittin in his car drinkin coffee and eatin donuts or if he was on a raid and guns were fired. he/she got up and answered the call. i have the most respect for anybody that is willing to put their own life on the line at any moment whether the need arises or not. respect all around. my hats off to YOU. thank you. we need no negativity towards anyone here
Old 02-10-2011, 9:24 PM

Default Civilians

Most civilians will never understand what we think and feel as a result of our LEO experiences. In fact, I avoid even trying to make them understand anymore... it's too frustrating.

I appreciate that most civilians are genuinely thankful for what we do on a daily basis but it ends there. They say "thank you" and I just smile and go on my way.

@biochembruin - just be thankful that if anything terrible ever were to happen to you or your loved ones, you can dial 9-1-1 and it's people like us that will show up and willingly put our lives in harm's way to save your life...

LEOs aren't better, we're just different. We're different because I don't know too many civilians that would risk their life to save a complete stranger's life.

Stay safe!
Old 02-10-2011, 9:26 PM
Former cabinetguy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconis View Post
To me, that's still a hey hey look at me post. I don't doubt some electricians have it rough. But I think the poster was trying to share something with the other community members here who were interested and not put down anyone else.
I promise you that is not it... this whole tread is "look at me I could get shot", as if no one knew that

my point is that the deserved respect LEOs get is for choosing a profession which puts themselves in danger to protect the public

tauting that, diminishes the respect

Old 02-10-2011, 10:02 PM

just choosing, nothing else huh? yeah you're right, it could be taken that way.

But I don't think everyone thinks like you do. Some may have actually taken this thread for what it is. But do what you want if it makes you feel better about yourself.

Last edited by Falconis; 02-10-2011 at 10:08 PM..
Old 02-10-2011, 10:27 PM
Former cabinetguy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconis View Post
But do what you want if it makes you feel better about yourself.
I feel real bad for the next electrician that gets pulled over by any of you guys

Old 02-10-2011, 10:31 PM

Quote:
I promise you that is not it... this whole tread is "look at me I could get shot", as if no one knew that

my point is that the deserved respect LEOs get is for choosing a profession which puts themselves in danger to protect the public

tauting that, diminishes the respect
Did you ever think that maybe the original post was meant to be therapeutic to those who have been there and done that and experienced loss? It's posted in a law enforcement forum, not in "off topic" for everyone to reply to. You just don't get it because you've never been there and experienced it.

People respect the concept of law enforcement because they have a vague sense of the danger and uncertainty associated with it, regardless of their actually feelings of law enforcement officers. That's why it holds such a fascination to people. When was the last time you saw a movie about an electrician?
Old 02-10-2011, 10:34 PM

Nahhh I disagree with opinions from a wide range of people. Electricians are just like everyone else.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:16 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Just thought of something...Those brilliant statistics cited in the death rating above...I noticed there were NO military positions in the list...anywhere.

I guess that job isn't stressful or dangerous either...I guess farmers should just sign up for the .mil and roll over to Afganistan or Iraq...Since it's safer.

Gotta love Mark Twain..."There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty506 View Post
RESPECT TO ALL LE, FD, AND MILITARY and anybody else willing to risk anything for another being. there is no need to flex nuts on this thread. dont be an ***. everybody whines, *****es, gripes and complains at some point but the fact of the matter is that they get up and do their job to the fullest and thats all that is asked from them and a lot of people go above and beyond when they didnt have to. it doesnt matter if the LEO or whoever was sittin in his car drinkin coffee and eatin donuts or if he was on a raid and guns were fired. he/she got up and answered the call. i have the most respect for anybody that is willing to put their own life on the line at any moment whether the need arises or not. respect all around. my hats off to YOU. thank you. we need no negativity towards anyone here
I agree. Thank you all for your service (military/leo).

Without taking sides or putting anyone down, I also have to point out that five-five.six is former military.
Old 02-11-2011, 1:23 AM
Banned

People Sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf!!

-George Orwell
Old 02-11-2011, 1:51 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I have been involved in some of the best and worst moments of my life in this job. I can safely say that I have witnessed and experienced things in this job that I would have never experienced while working in a civilian job force, and I truly mean would have never witnessed. This isn't a complaint or a whine, it is just the straight and honest truth.

I do this because I make a difference. Some days it is a bigger and better difference than other days but nonetheless, I make a difference and so does every other man or woman that pins the tin on their uniform shirt every day.

I have never prescribed to the "my job is worse than your job" mentality. I chose this profession just as I chose to join the military when I got out of high school. I have and will never subscribe to the 'poor me' philosophy because I knew going in what this job was all about. I chose this profession and over my many years I have served proudly and have proven worthy of the publics trust. I can retire in a year with an absolute clear mind knowing I did what was right....that is all I care about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazoE
I don't feel a thing when some cop gets ghosted.

Last edited by yzErnie; 02-11-2011 at 1:53 AM..
Closed Thread