Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 11-23-2011, 6:59 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Default Big Lot Tablet $69

Has anyone heard of these? it will come to $69 with coupon.

Old 11-23-2011, 9:11 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Don't waste your money on that. It likely doesn't have the Android Market app and I bet the screen isn't even capacitive. Those cheap tablets are always junk.

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 11-23-2011, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDay View Post
Don't waste your money on that. It likely doesn't have the Android Market app and I bet the screen isn't even capacitive. Those cheap tablets are always junk.
If its an android tablet it will have android market. However you get what you pay for and I agree with JDay its going to be a piece.
Old 11-23-2011, 9:43 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK4113 View Post
If its an android tablet it will have android market. However you get what you pay for and I agree with JDay its going to be a piece.
Just because it runs Android does not mean that it will have the Market. These cheap tablets aren't certified by Google, and that certification is a requirement for the device to have Google Apps. Although there are ways to get it on there.

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 11-23-2011, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDay View Post
Just because it runs Android does not mean that it will have the Market. These cheap tablets aren't certified by Google, and that certification is a requirement for the device to have Google Apps. Although there are ways to get it on there.
I see, thanks for the clarification.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:03 PM

Save up and put out for a nicer 10.1" Tablet. $299-$600 (depending on features, GSM Capable or not)
Old 11-23-2011, 10:12 PM

Pandigital products are mediocre at best.

I've had a couple of their digital photo frames and they tend to corrupt memory cards pretty quick.

As someone mentioned it's likely not a capacative touchscreen, it's probably resistive. They function, but feel icky IMO. Also there's no capability for multitouch with most resistive touchscreens.

Regarding Android market, I'm not terribly familiar with the Android platform, but I thought that the OS was open sourced, and you could flash most compatible devices with an open source version of Android. I mention this because I know my wife's cheap Android based e-reader could be flashed to the current version of Android at the time it was released (this time last year). The MFR had all the requisite info and downloads on their website.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:21 PM

The OS version is most likely a 2.xx. The same as used on phones. I'd hold out for 3.0 ...
ICS (ice cream sandwich.)
Old 11-23-2011, 11:27 PM
I need a LIFE!!

great for bootleg magazine pdfs on the can? 2gb yikes my horrible tracfone has 4gb
Old 11-24-2011, 9:06 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCZ View Post
Regarding Android market, I'm not terribly familiar with the Android platform, but I thought that the OS was open sourced, and you could flash most compatible devices with an open source version of Android. I mention this because I know my wife's cheap Android based e-reader could be flashed to the current version of Android at the time it was released (this time last year). The MFR had all the requisite info and downloads on their website.
Nobody is going to waste time cooking a custom firmware for garbage hardware.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:26 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Just to update, took your guy's advice and got this:

Old 01-06-2012, 3:23 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidR310 View Post
Just to update, took your guy's advice and got this:

Thats a great tablet. I got the 8gb one on black friday
Old 01-07-2012, 10:59 PM

Ah I see someone shops at http://www.woot.com haha
Old 01-08-2012, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member

Good luck getting one anything good and they usually send 3 LOL. During Christmas the customers returned 15 refurbished Andriod based tablets of three differant makes and the company was out of all of them after about an hour. I'd try Fry's to be honest as Biglots usuually won't have them in stock ...you can always try though.

George Orwell

http://www.AnySoldier.com