Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 02-05-2016, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDub1950 View Post
It's been awhile, but my interview was short and pleasant. They kinda want to see you to make sure your not some twitchy crackhead that just hasn't gotten caught at anything. They know the answers to most of the questions they ask so they're just checking you're forthright and honest. Be relaxed and answer anything honestly and don't ramble.

My livescan had returned info about a guy with the same name who lived near at one time a decade ago. I'd had the same problem before and just pointed out the different middle name and that was that.

I'm surprised anyone ever felt like they 'got grilled'... if they did it was probably because they were a gov't employee. That group is known to work with a lot of sketchy people like politicians
Ha ha, sounds good. I think things should go well, I'll be looking forward to it. Thanks !
Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. (2 Cor. 3:17)
Old 03-13-2016, 2:25 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

I just discovered yesterday that the live fire qualification requirement has been dropped by our awesome sheriff.
Old 05-22-2016, 4:54 PM

2nd interview is scheduled for this coming wednesday, what documents other than CA ID do I need to bring to them, if anything this time around?
Old 05-25-2016, 5:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundevil36 View Post
2nd interview is scheduled for this coming wednesday, what documents other than CA ID do I need to bring to them, if anything this time around?
2nd form of address verification. I used my car registration. Good Luck
Old 05-25-2016, 9:25 AM

Received my permit recently, made my initial appointment in November and the first available was mid-December. Had the 2nd interview end of April and turned in my training docs this week to receive my permit. So roughly 5 months start to finish.
Old 05-25-2016, 4:02 PM

Just finished the second interview, went swimmingly. Just basic questions and going over the dos and don'ts. Just need to do my class and I'm good to go!
Old 07-08-2016, 9:44 PM

Picked up my license today, all is well.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:52 PM

Initial interview 3/16/2016
Training courses completed two weeks prior to initial interview
Notified all checks completed 8/8/2016
Second interview 8/9/2016

All in all ~ 5 months
Old 08-26-2016, 2:07 PM

Default 2nd appointment questions

Supposed you registered 3 guns for CCW,

1) do you bring all three guns for the second interview?

2) Do you need to show them the Holster?

2) Do you bring ammo (not loaded in gun, of course) too?

3) I know you will need to show them the gun's serial number in the car. It is kind of test if you the know how to handle handgun and the safety check etc. What kind of questions were you asked?

thanks
Old 08-28-2016, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by califungeek View Post
Supposed you registered 3 guns for CCW,

1) do you bring all three guns for the second interview?

2) Do you need to show them the Holster?

2) Do you bring ammo (not loaded in gun, of course) too?

3) I know you will need to show them the gun's serial number in the car. It is kind of test if you the know how to handle handgun and the safety check etc. What kind of questions were you asked?

thanks
1) yes for serial confirmation

2) nope

3) no, and probably should not have ammo with you. not a legal thing at all, just my $0.02.

4) NO this is NOT a safety/handling test, they ask you to open the legal, locked box and then step away. If you had a loaded weapon you would get a round off before they could react. It is more of a test on whether you are transporting the firearm legally. THEY remove from box, make sure it is unloaded and then check serial. I do not know if they will do this process 3 separate times for each weapon, or have you unlock all three and step away. I mean this as: each weapon requires three steps 1) unlock 2) open and check unloaded 3) confirm serial. I do not know if they will have you do 1-2-3 (3) separate times or if they will have you unlock (1) all three at the same time (1-1-1-2-2-2-3-3-3). If that makes any sense.

They ask what your primary reason for applying is, and discuss consequences of using your firearm, and some of the zero-tolerance no-no's of carrying: No bars, not within 1,000 ft of a school, etc etc. My best advice is to relax, take it seriously but don't be sweating bullets or that is a red flag to them. Ask questions if you need to, that is what they are there for, to inform.
Old 08-28-2016, 9:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundevil36 View Post
1) yes for serial confirmation

2) nope

3) no, and probably should not have ammo with you. not a legal thing at all, just my $0.02.

4) NO this is NOT a safety/handling test, they ask you to open the legal, locked box and then step away. If you had a loaded weapon you would get a round off before they could react. It is more of a test on whether you are transporting the firearm legally. THEY remove from box, make sure it is unloaded and then check serial. I do not know if they will do this process 3 separate times for each weapon, or have you unlock all three and step away. I mean this as: each weapon requires three steps 1) unlock 2) open and check unloaded 3) confirm serial. I do not know if they will have you do 1-2-3 (3) separate times or if they will have you unlock (1) all three at the same time (1-1-1-2-2-2-3-3-3). If that makes any sense.

They ask what your primary reason for applying is, and discuss consequences of using your firearm, and some of the zero-tolerance no-no's of carrying: No bars, not within 1,000 ft of a school, etc etc. My best advice is to relax, take it seriously but don't be sweating bullets or that is a red flag to them. Ask questions if you need to, that is what they are there for, to inform.
Obviously this varies from time to time and probably person to person.

When I went for my final a few years ago, when we went to my car to look at the guns they were in my range bag in the trunk, of course range bag didn't need a lock. I opened the bag and asked if he want to check them he said 'no, just rack the slide on one and lock it back'. I did that and that was all. He didn't asked me to do anything with the other 3 and he didn't need to check serial #s, they're on the training cert.

Inside we had a casual conversation. He explained the purpose of the interview was just to see folks in person to make sure they didn't look sketchy or seem like tweakers

He did ask the routine question about why I wanted a CCW permit and I told him personal defense. I started to discuss it and he stopped me and said "you mean personal defense, period, right". I said yep and shut up LOL.

Told me a couple stories about having to yank CCWs. One guy was driving to Tahoe with a friend and was going to show his friend his new CCW gun but shot himself in the leg while driving.

So, nothing tricky or stressful. Transport your guns there legally and don't worry about it. Obviously if you're all nervous and stressed out, the whole process might go differently.
Old 08-29-2016, 8:53 AM

@Sundevil36 & @ElDub1950, thanks to your reply and pointers. Much appreciated!!
Old 09-05-2016, 9:47 AM

Default El Dorado County CCW Fees

So I'm going to be moving back to CA and was wondering in the case of a CCW in El Dorado County what are the fees from start to finish? I looked on the website and found a course for $125 and then something about a test costing up to $150 but can seem to find anything on the fees for applying like bio-metrics or any additional pieces. Thanks for the help!

Last edited by Buddy130; 09-06-2016 at 11:45 AM..
Old 09-15-2016, 4:16 AM

my brother in law just received his CCW, they mailed it to him.

Interesting.......... New process I suppose?
Old 09-15-2016, 9:29 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy130 View Post
So I'm going to be moving back to CA and was wondering in the case of a CCW in El Dorado County what are the fees from start to finish? I looked on the website and found a course for $125 and then something about a test costing up to $150 but can seem to find anything on the fees for applying like bio-metrics or any additional pieces. Thanks for the help!
I can't quote the current fees but I think it was $115-$150.

But the CCW course IS the test. It's not 2 separate things. At the end of the class is the qualification 'test' with the guns you want on your permit. Seems that most trainers include 1 gun qualification in the basic price and charge ~$10 for each additional gun. The initial CCW courses are running about $250.

Hope that helps.
Old 09-24-2016, 10:11 PM

My fee was $123...she asked my age, then said "$123". Class just depends on where you go...I did 3 guns at mine, no additional charge for each gun. that was it -- CCW fee and class fee.

You do get your CCW in the mail, they don't hand it to you at your 2nd appointment. Finishes a little paperwork, puts in dates, drop it in the mail.

Regarding checking my guns at my second appointment, as has been said just transport legally. He did check serial numbers to make sure they matched what's on the training cert...no safety check or anything else.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Turned in my app in may, just got my license in late september... total turn around was about 4.5 months.
Old 12-02-2016, 5:18 PM

Default Just stared the process.

I lived in el dorado from 2004 to 2008. I worked for the water co here, and volunteered with the fire department near Somerset. I had plans on getting my CCW back then, but suddenly got laid of from the water co in late 2007/early 2008. I took a job with the gas and electric company, and moved down to the bay area,.... to contra Costa county where the sheriff does not issue. I applied anyways, and was denied. Now I am finally back home in el dorado where I belong. I moved back 6 months ago, and began the painstaking process of getting all of my legal documents switched back to el dorado, and I decided to apply here since D'Agostini issues as all sheriff's should.
I had my first interview this week, turned in app, livescan, and took my course in Lincoln. I also got my utah permit while I was taking the ccw class because the class meet the requirements, and only cost another $100 for 35 more states, including Nevada. Hopefully it doesn't take too long. I am expecting 4-6 months. Utah permit 30-60 days.

Last edited by jessdigs; 12-05-2016 at 1:15 PM..
Old 12-06-2016, 4:47 AM

Dumb question...

What is the total cost associated with getting your ccw?

Money is tight and I haven't been able to get an exact answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-06-2016, 8:46 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwtiger69 View Post
Dumb question...

What is the total cost associated with getting your ccw?

Money is tight and I haven't been able to get an exact answer.

Several recent answers above are about $125 to the SO and classes vary but figure about $250.

These guys are one of the best and they're $250 now. http://www.oneononefirearms.com/classes
Old 12-06-2016, 9:18 AM

Default El Dorado *** TIME TO APPLY!!! ***

Thanks!

Last edited by jwtiger69; 12-15-2016 at 5:54 PM..
Old 12-15-2016, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDub1950 View Post
Several recent answers above are about $125 to the SO and classes vary but figure about $250.

These guys are one of the best and they're $250 now. http://www.oneononefirearms.com/classes

Few questions before I finally start all of this:

1: do I need to drop off my application in person to the sheriffs office or can I just schedule and appointment online and do it then? Also should I fill out everything on the app?

2: what is the appointment like? Just review of app and ask questions? From there we take a picture, finger print and give them $125?

3: From that point should I take a ccw class or wait until then to tell me so?

4: How many years is the permit good for before we renew?

5: I got mixed messages on this and I am curious what modifications they allow to you gun. For me it is is a g19. Would be ok with a stipple job on it? Other than that just sights and a light.

6: i am sure it varies from class to class but what is needed for it? Gun ammo, stuff to write with and a holster?

Thanks ahead of time. Just trying to make sure I got everything before I go start the process.

Old 12-16-2016, 10:52 PM

First print the app from the edso web page. It tells you all of the steps. Don't assume anything, and read carefully.
Fill out sections 1-5 Do not fill out sections 6-8
(1) Schedule an appt to drop off the app, don't just go in. They won't take it.
(2) the first appt is brief, they collect the $123, copy your CDL, then you sit down and go through the last sections (6-8). After that they do the photo and livescan fingerprinting. The interview is very casual, the deputy is very nice. When he asks the questions in section 6-8, tell him the truth. Read section 6-8 beforehand, and be prepared to answer those questions. If there is any kind of record of anything that he asks about, they will find out, and it will look like you were omitting information. Just be honest. Also, if you have had any traffic accidents or infractions in the last five years, you need to list these. I went to DMV and got a 10 year printout, because it asks for dates, docket numbers, and issuing agency.
(3) you can take the class anytime right before or anytime after your first appt. I did it the weekend before so that they would have the certificate, and wouldn't be waiting on it to issue my permit.
(4) permit is valid for two years, but renewal appts are backed up, so don't wait until the end to renew. Schedule you appt early, and take the class before it expires.
(5) I heard that they don't want any really light triggers, but verify with the S.O. when they check your guns in the second interview.
(6) I have heard that you don't even need to live fire for EDC anymore, but my class was in Lincoln with Best Handgun Training, and I brought two guns and 100 rounds or so. Had to shoot approx 36 rounds, and they counted to make sure they were all on target. If you take one of the classes that is strictly for el Dorado, you might not need to shoot.
Good luck, and don't stress on it. -jessdigs

Last edited by jessdigs; 12-16-2016 at 10:55 PM..
Old 12-17-2016, 7:00 AM
Calguns Addict

For anyone who recently got the CCW or gets it shortly, what is the current info on mods?

When I first got mine several years ago, one of the docs I received included a statement about mods. No mods were allowed except for sight replacement and grips-grip tape etc. And specifically stated no trigger change no lights and no lasers unless the model came with them from the factory.

Curious if that requirement still stands. Can't find it on their web site.
Old 12-17-2016, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessdigs View Post
First print the app from the edso web page. It tells you all of the steps. Don't assume anything, and read carefully.
Fill out sections 1-5 Do not fill out sections 6-8
(1) Schedule an appt to drop off the app, don't just go in. They won't take it.
(2) the first appt is brief, they collect the $123, copy your CDL, then you sit down and go through the last sections (6-8). After that they do the photo and livescan fingerprinting. The interview is very casual, the deputy is very nice. When he asks the questions in section 6-8, tell him the truth. Read section 6-8 beforehand, and be prepared to answer those questions. If there is any kind of record of anything that he asks about, they will find out, and it will look like you were omitting information. Just be honest. Also, if you have had any traffic accidents or infractions in the last five years, you need to list these. I went to DMV and got a 10 year printout, because it asks for dates, docket numbers, and issuing agency.
(3) you can take the class anytime right before or anytime after your first appt. I did it the weekend before so that they would have the certificate, and wouldn't be waiting on it to issue my permit.
(4) permit is valid for two years, but renewal appts are backed up, so don't wait until the end to renew. Schedule you appt early, and take the class before it expires.
(5) I heard that they don't want any really light triggers, but verify with the S.O. when they check your guns in the second interview.
(6) I have heard that you don't even need to live fire for EDC anymore, but my class was in Lincoln with Best Handgun Training, and I brought two guns and 100 rounds or so. Had to shoot approx 36 rounds, and they counted to make sure they were all on target. If you take one of the classes that is strictly for el Dorado, you might not need to shoot.
Good luck, and don't stress on it. -jessdigs

Thanks! I will post updates once I have my first appointment.

Old 01-07-2017, 11:52 PM

First time renewal here, made my appointment already online. For anyone thats done it recently, how was your encounter and how much were your fees? Did you do your renewal training before or after your renewal appointment?
Old 01-08-2017, 12:59 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobbology View Post
First time renewal here, made my appointment already online. For anyone thats done it recently, how was your encounter and how much were your fees? Did you do your renewal training before or after your renewal appointment?
6 OR 8 months ago. Couldn't be easier. 15 minutes I think, just to get the new pic and prints.

Take your training before. They need your cert at your appointment.

Don't remember the fee last time. Not much but I think I got a senior discount but I might be thinking of something else ... senior moment
Old 01-09-2017, 10:03 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

i just looked today too. 4 hour class - about $90 depending on the school. Talked to a Clerk and they too sounded like it was easy. They recommend you turn in your APPLICATION ASAP so they can process background checks. That said, like ElDub mentions - have your Class Certificate at time of onsite appointment.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:07 AM

Finally made my appointment for the initial CCW process. Super excited! In my confirmation email it says that I go to the sheriffs office for this. Is that correct? I have heard the records office thrown around in here and want to make sure I don't mess this up.

So after this appoint I am free to find and take a Class. After that what is next? Other than waiting.....

Old 01-18-2017, 11:25 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Finally made my appointment for the initial CCW process. Super excited! In my confirmation email it says that I go to the sheriffs office for this. Is that correct? I have heard the records office thrown around in here and want to make sure I don't mess this up.

So after this appoint I am free to find and take a Class. After that what is next? Other than waiting.....

The records office in in the Sheriff's Office. Go in the front door and down the steps, the office is on the right.
Old 01-20-2017, 4:36 PM

Quote:

Good luck. I took my class first so that I didn't have to take off of work to turn in the certificate. I am never off before 5:00pm
Old 01-23-2017, 7:48 AM

Default El Dorado *** TIME TO APPLY!!! ***

Just finished my interview. Went pretty good. Joked a bit the the deputy. The only thing I am and also not worried about is the charges of possession when I was a minor.

I am not worried honestly. From 2007-2012 I was a CO with the state. Left for a number of reasons... If my background is good enough for that I am good to go.

Old 02-09-2017, 5:31 AM

Went to my appointment and the clerk said I didn't need an appointment. Renewals can just walk up and turn in the renewal application. I also set up an appointment to pick up my renewed permit with 4 hr training cert on hand. I was in and out 5 mins tops.

YES 5 MINUTES!!!!!!
Old 02-10-2017, 5:50 AM

Quote:
Went to my appointment and the clerk said I didn't need an appointment. Renewals can just walk up and turn in the renewal application. I also set up an appointment to pick up my renewed permit with 4 hr training cert on hand. I was in and out 5 mins tops.

YES 5 MINUTES!!!!!!

Awesome! Glad to hear that is that easy. When I went to my first interview I was talking to the clerk and some other sheriffs and it sounds like they are trying to take the ccw process online.

Old 02-20-2017, 8:01 AM

Met with my renewal appointment. Had a quick sit down which was only probably 15 mins. Showed them my certification and paid my renewal fees of $82 in which they only accept in cash or check. I also surrendered my old permit. 2 more years.
Old 02-20-2017, 8:55 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

YES 5 MINUTES!!!!!!
Quote:
Met with my renewal appointment.Had a quick sit down which was only probably 15 mins. Showed them my certification and paid my renewal fees of $82 in which they only accept in cash or check. I also surrendered my old permit. 2 more years.
So were you lying in your first post or are you lying now? Or did the clerk lie to you?

Laminated card or rice paper?

Last edited by Paladin; 02-20-2017 at 8:59 AM..
Old 02-20-2017, 7:13 PM

In El Dorado Co, no need to make an appointment , on renewals,to drop off the paper work, but an appointment is necessary for the pick up/payment after the initial paperwork has been reviewed. (New LTC'ers need appointment for drop off of paperwork, and pick up of permit).

Plain paper that they let you laminate - they also will send a credit card style permit, but I believe it is only valid in the county. I carry my permit laminated.
Old 03-18-2017, 9:05 AM

Default Early 2017 New Applicant Processing Time :: El Dorado County

Since Gunpocalypse last summer, I imagine El Dorado County SO has been swamped with applications.

Have any new applicants (not renewal) recently received their certificate?

If so, how long was it between your initial application and your final interview and issuance of CCW certificate. (What month did you apply, and what month were you issued?)

Just trying to get an idea what to expect.
Old 03-21-2017, 5:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Travis View Post
Since Gunpocalypse last summer, I imagine El Dorado County SO has been swamped with applications.

Have any new applicants (not renewal) recently received their certificate?

If so, how long was it between your initial application and your final interview and issuance of CCW certificate. (What month did you apply, and what month were you issued?)

Just trying to get an idea what to expect.

My friend just reapplied and was told about 8 months. I applied early January and was told 4-6 months.

Old 03-23-2017, 7:29 PM

Quote:
My friend just reapplied and was told about 8 months. I applied early January and was told 4-6 months.
Thanks for the reply,

Did you mean you and your friend have submitted initial applications for CCW in EDC, or did you submit renewal applications?

I'm mainly interested in how long the initial application process is taking post-gunpocalypse.

Anyone recently get their first certificate?