Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 09-16-2013, 7:49 PM

Default UTG Scope for Ruger 10/22

Hi all,

I want to get a cheap scope for my Ruger 10/22. Nothing super high precision here just recreational plinking up to 100-150yds--just for fun and for friends that have never shot before.

What do you guys think of this UTG Scope?

http://www.amazon.com/UTG-3-9x32-Com...pr_product_top

At its price, it's hard to argue and it's got very good reviews. The bad reviews seem to all complain about a tilted reticle (QC problems), I can just exchange it until I get a good one.

What do you guys think?

If this stuff is junk, I hate to ask something that probably has been asked a million times, but what would you recommend for a scope that would:

-Work well with a 10/22
-3-9 magnification (or somewhere close to that)
-Adjustable Objective (this is a big one for me, I like focused targets)

Thanks everyone!
Old 09-16-2013, 8:01 PM
Calguns Addict

A lot of people will tell you to stay away from UTG/Leapers scopes and they are junk...
Well I have one on my Marlin 795 and it works great for 22LR.

Personally I have the UTG 3-9x 50mm R/G Illuminated A/O Scope and honestly.. its a bit big and heavy.. but it was the look I was going for, hah.

It's held up for a couple years now
Clear optics
A/O works nicely
Holds its zero
Illumination is fun, good battery life
Excellent value with the sunshade and scope caps

Haters gonna hate but I'd buy one again..

Last edited by Chaos47; 10-07-2019 at 11:50 PM..
Old 09-16-2013, 8:29 PM
Banned

For shooting at that distance you really need to look for a scope with a FINE reticule otherwise it will obscure the object you are aiming at. Especially if you are looking to shoot tiny groups on paper targets.

Most of the cheaper scopes I have looked at (to include UTGs) seem to have a reticule on the thicker side.
Old 09-16-2013, 9:04 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

You can pick up a Simmons 3-9x40 rimfire scope with AO for under $100 or a Mueller APV 4.5-14x40 with AO for around $130.

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association, the Second Amendment Foundation, and the California Rifle & Pistol Association
Old 09-16-2013, 9:24 PM

I have the same scope UTG compact on my Ruger TakeDown. I chose the scope because of size in this case. Scope and rifle will fit in the bag. So that was my driver. It an OK scope that gets the job done the range of 50-100yrds.
Not great, but not bad either.
I think if you want to stretch it out to 150yds, you might want to consider a higher power scope.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:36 AM

Thanks for the input guys! I think 150yds is a bit ambitious either way for me. Will look into those!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud22 View Post
I have the same scope UTG compact on my Ruger TakeDown. I chose the scope because of size in this case. Scope and rifle will fit in the bag. So that was my driver. It an OK scope that gets the job done the range of 50-100yrds.
Not great, but not bad either.
I think if you want to stretch it out to 150yds, you might want to consider a higher power scope.
What did you like and not like about it specifically? My other scope is a Vortex on my 700 so there's no comparison there. I'm not particularly picky, it's just a "for fun" rifle and also a good one to let me friends use (those that have never shot or are beginners). I just want something easy to use and cheap that'll do the job at 100yds. Do you have a picture of your ruger with the scope by any chance?

Last edited by whatwhy; 09-17-2013 at 12:40 AM..
Old 09-17-2013, 3:59 AM

Check out the Nikon rimfire scope for like $150.
Old 09-17-2013, 4:25 AM

Haha I have this on my Colt 6920 AR . Works fine for me, took a while to zero but that was my fault. The illumination is pretty cool but can't see it in day light. It hasn't lost zero after 200rounds. I havent dropped it or dipped in water but it feels well built. Optics on my weaver scope are slightly clearer but this scope is more than adequate for looking at 100yard shots with reactive targets.
Old 09-17-2013, 8:17 AM

UTG have great value scopes for rimfires, as well as Barska ,NC Star and BSA, and don't let people tell you otherwise. Imo, absolutely no need to spend over $75 for a .22 scope used for plinking/hunting.
Old 09-17-2013, 8:19 AM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimfired View Post
UTG have great value scopes for rimfires, as well as Barska ,NC Star and BSA, and don't let people tell you otherwise. Imo, absolutely no need to spend over $75 for a .22 scope used for plinking/hunting.
No reason at all - unless you don't want the scope to fail.

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association, the Second Amendment Foundation, and the California Rifle & Pistol Association
Old 09-17-2013, 8:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholling View Post
No reason at all - unless you don't want the scope to fail.
Low price =/= high failure rate. I have a Leapers rds in my 15-22 and have ran over 15,000 rounds through without issues and has held zero remarkably well. I also have an NC Star on a Mosin Nagant 91 30 that has no issues either. Same for a Barska on a Glenfield 25 that punches the same hole at 50 yards. If you want to spend unnecessary cash for a .22 plinker scope go ahead, but again, not necessary.
Old 09-17-2013, 9:04 AM

Whatwhy, I have that exact scope. There was something hinky in the optics, it's been in a drawer for a few years. For the same money I recommend the Center Point scopes at Walmart. I have three, the two with adjustable objective are still going strong. One gets bounced from rifle to rifle doing load testing. The non AO scope self destructed and all the internals came loose. They have a guarantee but you need to save the box/blister pack. The one con is ... they are much longer than the UTG.

I've found my best scope buys in pawn shops... I only buy Luepold.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:46 AM

Thanks everyone, I think I'll take a chance with the UTG. Worst case I send it back to amazon, they have a generous return policy anyway.

If that fails, I'll get a nicer Nikon.

Sent from my microwave

The materials and information contained above in this post are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is created by any interaction with the author of such materials and information.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:22 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
You can pick up a Simmons 3-9x40 rimfire scope with AO for under $100 or a Mueller APV 4.5-14x40 with AO for around $130.
^^ This

The Mueller is a good recommendation.
Old 09-17-2013, 2:45 PM

Quote:
What did you like and not like about it specifically? My other scope is a Vortex on my 700 so there's no comparison there. I'm not particularly picky, it's just a "for fun" rifle and also a good one to let me friends use (those that have never shot or are beginners). I just want something easy to use and cheap that'll do the job at 100yds. Do you have a picture of your ruger with the scope by any chance?
Sorry, no pics. For what you have outlined " plinking and Beginners" I would not recommend this scope. As I said, bought it because it was compact for a TD. One issue is the length is so short, you have to choke up on the rifle for good eye relieve. There are better choices in your price range and application. You can go to WallyWorld a pick up a decient scope, rings and mounts with one stop shopping. A beginner is not going to know the difference between a hi quality scope or a cheapo. Will just be happy for the new thrill. Yea, a cheapo will only last a few years, but no large investment either. For a 100yds, I would go at least 9X and 40mm
Best of luck.

Last edited by Rosebud22; 09-17-2013 at 2:48 PM..
Old 09-17-2013, 3:04 PM
Calguns Addict

The 10/22 is my fun gun as well… after a bunch of different scopes on top of it from 3-9x, 4-16x… I found I just prefer something small, light, and low magnification… 1-4x range was a nice fit on top of a 10/22 for me that wasn’t dedicated to bench or pure target work.

I spend most of my time plinking steel plates from 25-100 yards and occasionally 100-200 yards from a bench or prone.

Even with a 4x max and decent glass, no problem shooting at those distances… 1x when standing is a lot more fun to use when you don’t have a bunch of weight or magnification shake.

Plus there is a nice wide array of 1-4x scopes to choose from…

I know if it’s not what you are asking for, but it’s my recommendation, and worth looking into depending on what type of shooting you plan on really doing.

Last edited by ExtremeX; 09-17-2013 at 7:48 PM..
Old 09-17-2013, 7:05 PM

Thanks rosebud. I am going to reconsider.

That's a good point too extremeX. I didn't even think about the shooting offhand. I think I'm gonna try a 1-4 scope.

Does a scope have to have AO to focus the target? I looked at a cheap nikon and it really bugged me that the target was blurry.

Sent from my microwave

The materials and information contained above in this post are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is created by any interaction with the author of such materials and information.
Old 09-17-2013, 7:44 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatwhy View Post
Thanks rosebud. I am going to reconsider.

That's a good point too extremeX. I didn't even think about the shooting offhand. I think I'm gonna try a 1-4 scope.

Does a scope have to have AO to focus the target? I looked at a cheap nikon and it really bugged me that the target was blurry.

Sent from my microwave
The Nikon scope you tried may have just had its eye-piece / diopter adjustment off when you tried it. Or you were using too high of a magnification at too close of a focusing distance which would create focus issues.

AO / side focus is typically your parallax adjustment…

Parallax is present in almost all magnified optics to some degree, but in lower power optics it doesn’t really preset much of a problem. When you get into higher powered glass, some correction/compensation is required and almost a mandatory feature in a higher magnification target scope.

You generally find this feature omitted from lower magnification optics although some varieties of mid powder scopes still include this. Vortex 2.5-10x44 and the 2.5-10x32 is an excellent example of this; since one model has side parallax, and other doesn’t yet both scopes have the exact same magnification range. Some will argue that anything 10x or less doesn’t need side parallax adjustment. In my experience, it never hurt to have it, especially if it’s a target scope. In the case of those two vortex scopes, it comes down to cost and value added features.

Scopes without parallax adjustment have a fixed parallax setting… depending on the model typically 50 yards for a rimfire specific scopes and 100 yards for everything else.

When looking in the 1-4x or 1-6x range, you will be hard pressed to find an optic which actually has parallax adjustment.

Last edited by ExtremeX; 09-17-2013 at 7:50 PM..
Old 09-17-2013, 9:15 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimfired View Post
Low price =/= high failure rate. I have a Leapers rds in my 15-22 and have ran over 15,000 rounds through without issues and has held zero remarkably well. I also have an NC Star on a Mosin Nagant 91 30 that has no issues either. Same for a Barska on a Glenfield 25 that punches the same hole at 50 yards. If you want to spend unnecessary cash for a .22 plinker scope go ahead, but again, not necessary.
You've gotten lucky, but hey I used to think like you do. After tossing out a few junk scopes I learned to buy quality once rather than deal with junk.

Old 09-17-2013, 9:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
You've gotten lucky, but hey I used to think like you do. After tossing out a few junk scopes I learned to buy quality once rather than deal with junk.
I would say very lucky…

I got a small box of junk gun parts from when I started shooting. Inside we have a fake Eotech, Chinese green laser with intermittent contact issues, a Barska that won’t track worth a damn, and an NcStar pistol scope with a shattered reticle from the earth shaking recoil of a .22 LR Beretta U22 Neos.

I’m in the same boat, lessons learned, and I’ll stick to good glass from now on. If I total up what I spent on junk I could have owned another nice scope from a reputable manufacture.
Old 09-18-2013, 3:15 PM
Veteran Member

Center Point 4x16 x 44 100yards, 25 runds back to back.

Old 09-18-2013, 6:09 PM

The advice for a Simmons scope is priceless. Buy it from Amazon, mount it ,use it and if you don't like it send it back no questions asked. I have at least 4- 6x21 44 mag scopes on a Model 60, Target 10/22, 17 HMR and and a 22 mag. Side focus, clear as a bell even at distance and low light. 3x9 or a 4x12 will work well. Anything past 100 yards with a .22LR is stretching it though as far as target work. tin cans and gongs can be done with success with a good setup at 150 yards.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:31 PM

Can someone link me for the Simmons scope? I just want to make sure I get the right one, didn't seem to get any hits when I searched.

I just received the UTG scope today and the reticle is crooked. Awesome. Going straight back to Amazon. I know, I know, I should've listened to you guys but I just had to see it for myself.

JAGACIDA: thanks for your input. For me personally, anything past 100yds would be steel plates or random objects. Again, it's just "for fun" to me.

Thank you everyone!

Last edited by whatwhy; 09-18-2013 at 10:34 PM..
Old 09-19-2013, 10:44 AM

I think this is the Simmons scope under discussion:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004P8AFL2/...I2NLW3NNM0Y63L
Old 09-19-2013, 1:12 PM

That ^ is a nicer scope than the one I thought everyone was talking about.

Simmons makes a line of rimfire scopes. They're no Leupolds, but they are decent, no-nonsense, inexpensive scopes. They seem to me a notch better than UTG/Barska/NCStar, even though they're made in China as well. Parallax is @50 yards, rather than 100. I put one on a single-shot Husqvarna and it holds zero and has a thin enough reticle that I can hit bullseyes at 100 yards without them being obscured, and clarity is very good for such an inexpensive model.

$42 on Amazon for a 3-9x32

Search: Simmons .22 Mag TruPlex Reticle Rimfire Riflescope with Rings
Old 09-19-2013, 7:53 PM

Thanks everyone,

I just ended up ordering this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004P8AFL2/...I2NLW3NNM0Y63L

Should be plenty good, at least it wont have a crooked reticle.

PS: GO BRUINS!
Old 09-24-2013, 12:35 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Anyone try one of these Predator 30mm scopes by Simmons. These look good.

http://www.amazon.com/Simmons-Predat...mmons+predator
Old 09-24-2013, 12:57 PM

Try the BSA 6-24X24 from midwaythe for $150. Super zoom for the price.
Old 09-29-2013, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeX View Post
I would say very lucky…

I got a small box of junk gun parts from when I started shooting. Inside we have a fake Eotech, Chinese green laser with intermittent contact issues, a Barska that won’t track worth a damn, and an NcStar pistol scope with a shattered reticle from the earth shaking recoil of a .22 LR Beretta U22 Neos.

I’m in the same boat, lessons learned, and I’ll stick to good glass from now on. If I total up what I spent on junk I could have owned another nice scope from a reputable manufacture.
Yup. Been there done that. I've flushed my share of money on cheap, junky scopes too. These cheap scopes always work great...right up until the point they don't. Eye relief is usually very short with a small "eye box". The Barska I was so proud of, didn't even make it thru a whole mag of 7.62x39 before the optics internally imploded. Not likely to happen on a .22, however, you're settling for crappy glass and reliability that could crumble under the lightest unintentional abuse. Their warranties often suck too.

Buy something decent and cry once...I just put a Nikon Prostaff Rimfire 3-9x40 on my Ruger. $130

Last edited by Dinosaur Jr; 09-29-2013 at 6:22 PM..
Old 10-03-2013, 11:08 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKS-762 View Post
Yup. Been there done that. I've flushed my share of money on cheap, junky scopes too. These cheap scopes always work great...right up until the point they don't. Eye relief is usually very short with a small "eye box". The Barska I was so proud of, didn't even make it thru a whole mag of 7.62x39 before the optics internally imploded. Not likely to happen on a .22, however, you're settling for crappy glass and reliability that could crumble under the lightest unintentional abuse. Their warranties often suck too.

Buy something decent and cry once...I just put a Nikon Prostaff Rimfire 3-9x40 on my Ruger. $130

Years ago I had a really cheap fixed 6x EUROLUX scope on a 10/22 that I used for many 1000 round range sessions. It held zero perfectly and was clear and bright. I loved that scope. It was babied and not tossed in a truck or bumped around except for plopping it down on a nice soft sandbag on a bench. One day the scope just gave out - if I remember correctly the reticle came loose and was never able to be in focus again. I got my money's worth, but that scope probably wouldn't have lasted years like that if it wasn't babied. It served its purpose though and I couldn't afford a $200 + scope for a 10/22 back then. When I had zero budget for good glass I used to stick to fixed power scopes which seemed to work better for me than the cheapo variables of the time.

I still have one of those $40 BEC 4x22 COLT knock-off AR-15 scopes with the BDC dial for 55 grain NATO ammo that worked great... but I wouldn't mount it or trust it now (mostly because I have more money now). Honestly though, if I had to bust some clays at 300 yards, it would still work better than a Aimpoint or Eotech with MY eyes at least. But my snobby eyes would not like the sight of a $40 scope on rifle that cost 20x more.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:57 PM
Calguns Addict

A Rubberized 3-9x40 UTG/Leapers is what I have on my 10/22.

It works well, and I have really had zero issues with it.
Old 10-03-2013, 3:45 PM

I tested some glass for UTG.
The scopes always held zero.

Glass does have some imperfections but the scopes do get the job done.

For .22 I do recommend an AO for anything under 50 yards.

Mueller is another good scope for less dollars.

Don't expect these to have glass like a Vortex. Not going to happen.

I did a review on a UTG 1-4 including a pretty good torture test. including submersion and freezing.

Scope is still on one of my SBR's.

Dave N

Better to die for something than live for nothing