Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 01-21-2011, 7:13 PM

Henry H001 22 LR lever action.

Robert
Old 01-21-2011, 7:26 PM
Calguns Addict

It took me a while, but I dug up a pic of my 10/22. The cool thing about it is that it can kind of grow with you.

Old 01-21-2011, 7:27 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Nylon 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinglePoint View Post
Does anybody have a recommendation for an entry- to mid-level 22LR rifle? When I was young I remember shooting my dad's nylon stock Remingthon semi-auto that fed from the stock-butt. My son is now reaching that age and I want to pass along some similar memories. Since those times, I moved on to other cals (.308, .223, 30-06). Haven't owned or shot a 22LR rifle in a long time and I'm not sure what to get. Any suggestions are welcomed. The criteria are that it must be a fun, reliable, and reasonaly accurate rifle that he could grow into, and maybe shoot for accuracy some day before he moves on to other things many years from now. Prefer semi-auto, but maybe a bolt action. I have been looking at the Marlin 795 and 60SS (and of course the 10/22), but wondering if there may be a better rifle out there I should consider, even if its a little more money. I am partial to laminated wood stocks, but synthetic OK too. Thanks for the help.
The Nylon 66 is a fantastic .22

I have one here:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ighlight=nylon

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 01-22-2011, 4:09 PM

10/22 hands down. Just shot mine today and it was pure joy hitting the x every time...
Old 01-23-2011, 7:57 AM

Default Thanks for all of the responses...

After reading all of the suggestions and perusing the inventory of four local shops, I decided to go with the Mossberg Plinkster (convertable single-shot, bolt action) for my son, and the wife may use it a bit also. But I could not stop there. While looking around I fell in love with a Browning T-bolt. However, it is expensive. After trying to find a deal on one, I ran into a CZ 455 American locally and "pulled the trigger" on one. I also considered the Savage BTV, which I liked, but it was a little heavy. I am sure it would be perfect for just target shooting from a bench, but not as good as a plinker. So, its the Mossberg and the CZ. Next I'll be looking for a scope for my CZ. Thanks again to all!
Old 01-23-2011, 8:10 AM

I thought with all the people here giving their opinions about the Ruger 10 22 that you'll be eventually be buying one Anyways, enjoy your .22's .
Old 01-23-2011, 8:26 AM

The 10/22s certainly have a following. My grandfather had one and it was a fine rifle, but I have no intention of customizing and that model is just not for me. If the wife picks up shooting, I'll probably get one in synthetic for her. When I took her to the shop (to kind of prime her for my purchase), she picked out the 10/22. Felt nice to her and she like the sights the best, compared to a couple of other semi-autos...
Old 01-23-2011, 12:01 PM

IMHO - The 1923 Savage model 23a or the Savage model 19 and its varients are by far the most accurate, easy to use rifle for starter shooters than any modern rifle out there. This family of rifles were used as Match rifles for military shooting teams since 1917 and are still in use for team shoots. They were also made for the Boy Scouts and came out with the Model 19 N.R.A. You can still find them in the $150 range with the orig iron sights. The orig peep sights go for about as much as the gun, but they are nice. The model 1919 resembles the P-14 .30 cal in looks and handling. It was very popular with the military folk coming back home. Of all the 22's I have had, this family of rifles are still the most accurate, reliable and easy to maintain.

They are a 5 shot (can be fed single shot) bolt action, magazine fed, 23" bull barrel rifle of timeless design.

No need to add the mall ninja stuff on this rifle. There are however 10 round magazines avail from Triple-K and they actually work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 23a14.jpg (18.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 23a15.jpg (20.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 23a22.jpg (33.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg savage19nra6.jpg (74.6 KB, 8 views)
Old 01-23-2011, 4:37 PM

Remington 541T. A beautiful, accurate bolt action. Mine gets a lot of second looks at the range.
Old 01-23-2011, 7:00 PM

10/22 if you want to customize the crap out of it.. without noticing you will have built yourself a $2000 .22

marlin 60 for a classic that looks like a classic and shoots like a dream (my choice)

savage and CZ both make very nice mag fed bolt .22s

cant really go wrong with any of them.. i dont think i will ever get rid of my marlin 60.. when i die the grandkids can fight over that but till then im keeping it.. the 10/22 is great and i want one just because i want one..
Boy the way Glen Miller played, songs that made the hit parade, guys like us we had it made, those were the days, and you know where you were then, girls were girls and men were men, mister we could use a man like Herbert Hoover again, didn't need no welfare states everybody pulled his weight, gee our old Lasalle ran great, those were the days!

who wants a fishtank?