Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > VENDORS > Turner's Outdoorsman
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2012, 9:24 PM

Thumbs down Excessive Pickup times

I made the mistake to purchase a rifle from Turner's Orange recently. The mistake was not the choice of rifle, it was the excessive wait after the waiting period to get the rifle released.

Comparison: Ammo Brother's Cerritos: The release of a Handgun took 25 minutes - close to an hour for the rifle this Monday.

I hope the guys from Turner's read this... Consider that your customer's time has a value to it. After this last experience I rather invest this time into a drive out to Cerritos for my next purchase. It might be time to review your procedures and streamline them as well as adding training for your employees.
www.gebhardsolutions.com
Old 03-08-2012, 12:03 AM

One hour for pickup is about the average in my experience. Turner's has the most paperwork and double checking of any FFL I've dealt with.
Old 03-08-2012, 2:47 AM

Took me over an hour on Tuesday, too many window shoppers ahead of me wanting to hold every firearm they stock
Old 03-08-2012, 3:06 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

It is always frustrating to wait behind the tire kickers when you just want to get something and get out. How about an express lane for that?
Old 03-08-2012, 7:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
It is always frustrating to wait behind the tire kickers when you just want to get something and get out. How about an express lane for that?
I think this would be a great way to overcome a lot of the service issues that many people seem to have at some of the Turners locations. I don't even think the lane would have to be active during all business hours. If there was a dedicated lane for people to buy/pick-up and not browse that was open for like the last 4 hours of business on MWF or something then I would just plan to do all my business there during that time.
Old 03-09-2012, 4:19 AM

It would indeed be a good way.... however, this was with getting a sales guy within five minutes of walking into the store.

I'm not complaining about other customers in front of me - this is close to an hour from handing over the paperwork to walking out with the hardware.
www.gebhardsolutions.com
Old 03-09-2012, 7:45 AM

Default turners pick up

i guess it depends on the person behind the counter , because I went to pick up my ruger sr22 and decided to leave a deposit on a rifle , it took me 30 min to do the entire process of picking up and ordering my rifle ......

now 10 days later when i went to pick up my rifle , there was no customers so no need to get a number , i was helped right away took the guy 30 min to find the paper work it self , then about another 40 min to do the whole 3 pages of paper work ...... then another 15-20 to find me the rifle and brought me the wrong one the first time ....
Old 03-09-2012, 7:59 AM
Veteran Member

IIRC, the Reseda store had one of the guys behind the counter asking if anyone was there to just pick up a firearm. Got a few people out quicker.

NRA Member
SAF Member

Quote:
A tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny.
Old 03-09-2012, 8:49 AM

hooked on Glock,

was that the store in Orange by any chance?

Seems to be an indicator of poor personnel training that things can vary this widely...

Well, no feedback or statement from the guys from Turner's , not that I seriously expected any. For my next firearm purchase I will likely head back to Ammo Brothers.

Four out of my last firearm purchases have been at Turner's. Three of them left me with less-than-stellar service. They tried to make up for two of them after I submitted a written complaint to the head office - one time the manager in Fountain Valley promised to "throw in a couple extra boxes of ammo" when he called me - and promptly forgot about it when I went to the store.
Sorry folks - I rather pay a small amount extra and know that I will receive good service and be appreciated as a customer.

OK - Rant Off... too nice a day to get worked up over something that I have found a suitable alternative to.
www.gebhardsolutions.com
Old 03-09-2012, 11:50 AM

Do the math. You and all the schmoes who bought a gun during the busy weekend, when is your pick-up day? Obviously the worse days to go to Turners aside from the weekend is Tues & Weds.

Beat the crowd and go there Thurs., Fri or worse case the following Mon. if you're not in a rush to pick-up. Even better, avoid the crowd by shopping Mon. then pick-up the week after on Thurs.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagedude88 View Post
Do the math. You and all the schmoes who bought a gun during the busy weekend, when is your pick-up day? Obviously the worse days to go to Turners aside from the weekend is Tues & Weds.

Beat the crowd and go there Thurs., Fri or worse case the following Mon. if you're not in a rush to pick-up. Even better, avoid the crowd by shopping Mon. then pick-up the week after on Thurs.

Or better yet, lets kill that stupid 10 day wait.

NRA Member
SAF Member

Quote:
A tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:38 PM

Old 03-09-2012, 12:46 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Solutions View Post
I made the mistake to purchase a rifle from Turner's Orange recently. The mistake was not the choice of rifle, it was the excessive wait after the waiting period to get the rifle released.

Comparison: Ammo Brother's Cerritos: The release of a Handgun took 25 minutes - close to an hour for the rifle this Monday.

I hope the guys from Turner's read this... Consider that your customer's time has a value to it. After this last experience I rather invest this time into a drive out to Cerritos for my next purchase. It might be time to review your procedures and streamline them as well as adding training for your employees.
Uli, we do appreciate your feedback and that of the folks here on Calguns that are in our So Cal market. You and a lot of those members have very good suggestions that we can look at implementing once we have this system migration complete. And to the point, we'll continue thereafter to work with our staff within the store; systems aside, they are the most important part of the interface that customers have in our stores.

Here is some more info here on the same subject.

22 Stores Located throughout California-

Chino Hills | Corona | El Cajon | Fountain Valley
Kearny Mesa | Lake Forest | Norwalk | Orange
Oxnard | Pasadena | Rancho Cucamonga | Reseda
San Bernardino | San Marcos | Signal Hill
Temecula | Torrance | Victorville | West Covina

Salinas (NOW OPEN)
Palmdale (NOW OPEN)
Fresno (Opening 2018)

Store Location Info

Our Weekly Ad

Join our e-mail list!
Old 03-11-2012, 4:29 PM

Yes, an express line would be helpful. But, there's also a lack of common courtesy from Turner's in my opinion. I accept that I had to wait over an hour to speak to someone for a pickup since it was pretty busy when I went. But, when I went to pay at the register and came back to the counter, the guy that was helping me disappeared into the back and nobody else was available to assist. This added another 15 minutes to the wait, simply just for them to hand over my merchandise. This also happened to the guy that was right before me, as well which added to my hour plus wait. I suggest that if Turner's sends someone to the register to pay, have the sales person wait the extra 2 minutes for the customer to come back. That seems like a simple lack of common courtesy to me.
Old 03-12-2012, 8:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turner's Outdoorsman View Post
Uli, we do appreciate your feedback and that of the folks here on Calguns that are in our So Cal market. You and a lot of those members have very good suggestions that we can look at implementing once we have this system migration complete. And to the point, we'll continue thereafter to work with our staff within the store; systems aside, they are the most important part of the interface that customers have in our stores.
I appreciate you responding to this post. One thing that I would like to suggest to improve your overall customer satisfaction is to answer all feedback and concerns, whether they were submitted here or through your website.

It seems a bit odd that comments here on an open forum are answered while the ones submitted through your website do not receive a response. Feel free to contact me directly - you have obviously visited my website and should have the info that you need.
www.gebhardsolutions.com
Old 03-12-2012, 9:10 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Solutions View Post
I appreciate you responding to this post. One thing that I would like to suggest to improve your overall customer satisfaction is to answer all feedback and concerns, whether they were submitted here or through your website.

It seems a bit odd that comments here on an open forum are answered while the ones submitted through your website do not receive a response. Feel free to contact me directly - you have obviously visited my website and should have the info that you need.
We have one person here who handles the customerservice@turners.com e-mails and the customer service survey that is on our webpage. We have another staff member who handles most of the activity here on Calguns, though specific customer service issues are routed to the person handling our web page inquiries. We'll make sure that each is handled in a timely fashion.

Salinas (NOW OPEN)
Palmdale (NOW OPEN)
Fresno (Opening 2018)

Store Location Info

Our Weekly Ad

Join our e-mail list!
Old 03-12-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turner's Outdoorsman View Post
We have one person here who handles the customerservice@turners.com e-mails and the customer service survey that is on our webpage. We have another staff member who handles most of the activity here on Calguns, though specific customer service issues are routed to the person handling our web page inquiries. We'll make sure that each is handled in a timely fashion.
The feedback through your website was submitted February 14, give or take a day... almost one month ago. It had to do with the attitude of one of your employees in Fountain Valley.
www.gebhardsolutions.com
Old 03-12-2012, 4:58 PM

[QUOTE=G-Solutions;8186346]hooked on Glock,

was that the store in Orange by any chance?

NO , it was at the norwalk store , all in all my experiences at turners norwalk have been pretty good .... but i try to go in the afternoon when randy (manager very cool dude ) is there or the other very nice lady ( i forget her name but i think its barbara ) ....

Last edited by hooked on glock; 03-12-2012 at 5:03 PM..
Old 03-12-2012, 6:34 PM

I never purchased a firearm in Norwalk, just gear and ammo... Those experiences were OK.

Then again, I was working a different job and could get to the store at some of their least-busy hours....
www.gebhardsolutions.com
Old 03-12-2012, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
+1 to that

I went in today to pick up my SR22 and luckily there weren't many people there. Took my number, waited a few mins, and I was called up. Unfortunately, they didn't have it in the store.

Now if it had been like it was when I started DROS 10 days before (1.5 hours all said and done) and THEN to found out that my gun wasn't even there, I would NOT have been happy. That would have completely wasted a lot of my time. There should definitely be an express lane for pick-ups.

San Bernardino store for reference
Old 03-12-2012, 7:55 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsnscot View Post
Took me over an hour on Tuesday, too many window shoppers ahead of me wanting to hold every firearm they stock
You're right.. they should tell those shoppers to GET THE F OUT OF THE STORE!!

Damn them getting there before you and wanting customer service!! DAMN THEM TO HELL!!!!

Seriously?

Maybe you guys should go to the overpriced gun store down the street.. there won't be a line at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony270 View Post
It's easy to be a keyboard warrior, you would melt like wax in front of me, you wouldn't be able to move your lips.
Member: Patron member NRA, lifetime member SAF, CRPA
Old 03-12-2012, 9:45 PM

Picked up a stripped lower at the FV store today around 11:30. No line, in and out in 15 minutes. YRMV
Old 04-04-2012, 5:42 PM

I Picked up my p229 recently, and had a 1-hour wait to receive it at the Torrance store.

Despite whatever the circumstances are in terms of having employees on hand, 10-15 minutes of processing and paperwork should NEVER take an HOUR or more to complete!

Maybe a solution would be to cross-train the employees?

It seems that whenever the gun counter is slammed, there's always an idle employee behind the counter at the front register smacking their gum and texting. Training the counter employees to handle more duties would surely help!

Also, the counter employees seem to be pulling double-duty in the stockroom pulling firearms and whatnot. Could there be a position for a dedicated stockroom employee? The entire firearms counter shuts down when an employee has to run to the back.
Old 04-04-2012, 5:43 PM

Let me add something here. I purchased my first handgun at the SFV Turner's recently, along with two Ruger 10/22 carbines. Everyone behind the counter was cool and helpful. Some of the customers on my side of the counter, not so much.

Skipping ahead past the paperwork part, at the cashier on the way out, a group of about 4 or 5 people came in obviously carrying firearms. The cashier nicely ask them to wait until someone could come check out their stuff. Normal, right? What was not so cool was after about 60 seconds, one of the loud mouths in the group said if someone didn't arrive within a minute, they were coming in, firearm check or no check. Dude, really? Give the employees a break.

The idea about a Pick-Up Only line is a great idea. Oh, and no matter how many employees are behind the counter, two computers are two computers. If they're tied up, they're tied up. Maybe more computers. How about it, Corporate?

So there. Now I'll go back to reading the threads. (And maybe wondering if I can figure out if any of the CalGun posters was that loudmouth at the door the other day).

Old 04-04-2012, 9:32 PM

I've bought 2 guns from Turners and will avoid buying from Turners even at a slightly higher price because of the very long wait times. I'll buy and shop for anything but guns at Turners but waiting 30 minutes just to be noticed at the gun counter is ridiculous. It's much easier to do PPT at a gun range than buy a new gun at Turners.
Old 04-05-2012, 3:49 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR_H View Post

The idea about a Pick-Up Only line is a great idea. Oh, and no matter how many employees are behind the counter, two computers are two computers. If they're tied up, they're tied up. Maybe more computers. How about it, Corporate?

We are adding more laptops in order to get things moving fast. Once we get the new system smoothed out and running, we're going to re-examine the entire customer flow and see what we can do. We're conflicted on the express lane- guys buying a gun and guys picking up both deserve our attention but we'll see what we can do for both.

Salinas (NOW OPEN)
Palmdale (NOW OPEN)
Fresno (Opening 2018)

Store Location Info

Our Weekly Ad

Join our e-mail list!