Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:34 AM

Default G19 or G26 for new lady shooter?

Hi, I need the opinions of you most excellent ladies! I am in the market for my first pistol,and I want a Glock. I get conflicting advice about the compact G19vs. the subcompact G26. My range does not have a subcompact for me to try, but I did get to shoot the compact G19, and it was a good fit in my hand, and recoil was manageable. I do not, however, want any more recoil than that. I have asked the experts, and each say different things regarding ease of shooting, recoil, accuracy, etc. I am a medium build with medium-sized hands, if this helps. I am new to shooting. I cannot carry concealed in LA county.

Please share if you have knowledge on this subject. Thanks much!
Old 04-13-2012, 11:35 AM
Calguns Addict

Go to a range - Shoot them both - Decide for yourself...
Old 04-13-2012, 11:39 AM
Banned

If the Glock 19 feels good and you shoot it well then get it.
The 26 will have more felt recoil, doesn't have a full length grip.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:41 AM

I have both. The 19 is a little more accurate and slightly easier to manage(both are easy). If your not trying to conceal it. Go with the 19.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:00 PM

I wouldn't consider the 26 if you're not going to carry. Before you buy though, take a look the M&P, XD, Beretta PX4 and Sigs. Never hurts to look.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:04 PM

I have both and on the 26 I put an extender on the mags. The 26 does kick a little more.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:14 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgdpt View Post
I have both. The 19 is a little more accurate and slightly easier to manage(both are easy). If your not trying to conceal it. Go with the 19.
Sure it does. It encourages you to think sinful thoughts, like even considering something other than a Glock.

Seriously though, nothing wrong with knowing what you want.
Old 04-13-2012, 5:12 PM

I have both and have small hands, I carry both concealed (now that I live in a free state). I like my 19 just slightly better then the 26. But both are excellent choices! If your not going to carry concealed go with the larger 19, another consideration to help with the recoil is the heavier 17.

I also have a model 22 which is the same frame as the 17 but in .40 cal. And it pretty much compares to the 19 in recoil because of it's size. Might want to rent a 17 at your local range and give it a try for hand size and see how it compares to the 19.

Good luck and grats on your future purchase!

Old 04-13-2012, 6:23 PM

Look at the thread "Shooting With My Wife". Go to the range with an independent (of your significant other) instructor. Rent and shoot several guns with the instructors tutelage, and then decide for yourself.
Old 04-13-2012, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X231 View Post
I wouldn't consider the 26 if you're not going to carry. Before you buy though, take a look the M&P, XD, Beretta PX4 and Sigs. Never hurts to look.
Agreed.

I love Glocks but everybody is different; find out what you shoot best (not just what feels good in your hand) and get it.

Also: G19's and G26's are for concealability and convenience--if those aren't factors I'd recommend a 17 or 34.
Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound. -- L. Neil Smith

Old 04-13-2012, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powaybob View Post
Look at the thread "Shooting With My Wife". Go to the range with an independent (of your significant other) instructor. Rent and shoot several guns with the instructors tutelage, and then decide for yourself.
Thank you, Sir! I read the thread and it was very good, and very informative. I am going to get that G19. It just comes too highly recommended. I won't have shot many other guns, but I am going to dedicate myself to one gun only and make myself learn to operate and shoot it well. I am partial to the Glocks because I have taken two beginner's classes and the instructor had us cut our teeth on these guns. Also, I have read entire books about the Glocks and I just love all that I've learned. Admittedly, though, I have more head knowledge than practical knowledge. It's hard to get away and difficult to justify the expense of shooting when one is a stay-at-home mom... Thank you once again for sharing your experience with me. BTW, does Sharon still enjoy her chosen gun?
Old 04-13-2012, 10:16 PM

Thank you, All! You are so very kind to take the time to answer a new shooter's questions. I am learning new things each time I enter the forums. Pearls of wisdom being handed over to me at no cost. Amazing.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:57 PM

My wife prefers the 26 - though she thinks even that is too big ;-)
My 12yo daughter prefers the 19, or even 34.
Some people do not like the short grip on the 26 - it's never bothered me though.
Recoil may seem a little more as the gun gets smaller.
Old 04-16-2012, 8:48 PM

Honestly I shoot my 26 accurate as my 19, just takes alot of practice. I have really small hands, so the 26 fills great, but the fill and grip due to length on the 19 is great too. I use them both in tandum with one another, the 26 in support of. it only has 1 magazine of its original size, the rest it eats are from the 19 it shares magazines with. Sold this 26's spare magazine. Didn't need it.

The 26 is slightly snappier, but after much practice one gets used to it. The trick is train train train, train some more. If you're going to get "HD" munitions, shoot at range what you will stake your life on, or alternate. Alot of ppl keep the "good stuff" for an emergency and wont shoot it at the range. maybe have 2-3 magazines of that good stuff and the rest of just practice cheap ammo. Just a suggestion. A quality holster, and belt are good idea too.

I use an Ares belt most of the time, with a Raven concealment holster. Also, to note; if you use a light on your 19, make sure you shoot with it on as well, and get to know how to manipulate your system properly, enough as to so it becomes memory. Just saying.

Get both. Investments both for defense and recreational, will pay for themselves in what they provide.

Check out M&P pistols too, I run two in alternate to my glocks sometimes to. I have XD's but only in a collection capacity, I prefer Glock and S&W. That's just my preference though.
Old 04-17-2012, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianinca View Post
I can't recommend the baby Glock or any other tiny pistol as a starter choice. They aren't intended for people intimidated by fullsize pistols - they're intended to be carried by experienced pistol shooters.
I tend to agree with this - I think prospective new gun owners understandbly mistake smaller for being "easier" when that's not the case.

I'm late joining the party but my vote would have been for the G19.

BK
Old 04-17-2012, 7:44 AM
Cat-in-a Box/NRA Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

another who thinks that brianinca makes a lot of sense.....whether it be re glocks or any other pistol.

i did go with the smith & wesson model 60 j-frame but NOT THE LIGHT/AIR WEIGHT. i was not totally new to guns, however, but it had been years......i did shoot the light/air weight and almost did not pick up another pistol.

and i'd take BadKitty's statement a step further: i think men buying a gun for a woman who is not an experienced shooter mistake smaller for being "easier".....and the mistake is thinking that they [the male] can pick out a gun for her in the first place. the "she" has to be actively involved.
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shootist View Post
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 04-17-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movie zombie View Post
and i'd take BadKitty's statement a step further: i think men buying a gun for a woman who is not an experienced shooter mistake smaller for being "easier".....and the mistake is thinking that they [the male] can pick out a gun for her in the first place. the "she" has to be actively involved.

And I'd like to take your statement of my statement a step further...

With regard to men buying pistols for their ladies - with or without the woman's input....

We all generally know that a full-sized platform is probably better for a beginner with regard to it being more stable and forgiving. However, either the man or woman (or both) sometimes seem concerned that a full size pistol will be too big. Either they're worried that it will be too heavy, that her hands are too small for the grip, she's too weak to pull the slide back, or that she won't be able to conceal it. That's why I'm an advocate for choices such as the Glock 19: performance, reliability, size, stability, concealment and ease of use for most people. Not too large, not too small.

And, yes, to echo what movie zombie said, the lady really ought to be involved.

BK
Old 04-17-2012, 11:01 AM
Cat-in-a Box/NRA Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

http://www.homedefenseweapons.net/glock-19/

good article. i may have to look into a glock for myself.
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shootist View Post
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 04-17-2012, 11:03 AM

G26 is good for CCW...did it in Texas for 7 years, while the G19 is a better shooter.