Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 08-20-2013, 10:30 PM

Default concealed carry los angeles?

Does anybody have one? How did you get it? I'm just assuming its nearly impossible to get in los angeles...
Old 08-20-2013, 10:36 PM

http://www.laweekly.com/2013-02-14/n...s-permit/full/

http://www.scribd.com/mobile/doc/125393888
Old 08-20-2013, 10:40 PM

Not unless you're a celebrity, politicians or you donated very large sums of money to the Sheriff's/PD Chiefs campaigns. If you're neither then you're just a peasants and can't be trusted with to carry guns.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:01 PM
Veteran Member

Only inner circle of Sheriff/LAPD can have CCW
Old 08-20-2013, 11:20 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Sounds kinda like Santa Clara county. Donate or be a chrony to our the illustrious ( )sheriff and you might get one.

I just bumped the SCC thread asking for updates if any. I'm ready to apply, but if its just gonna get ignored or denied with no chance of being approved, seems like a waste of time and effort.

Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!
Old 08-21-2013, 6:46 AM
Banned

If a permit is that important to you, move to another county.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLander51 View Post
If a permit is that important to you, move to another county.
It is and I did
Old 08-22-2013, 6:59 PM

What is silly about the article is that, nobody is dumb enough to believe that $500 donations to a campaign or $750 persian rugs given as a wedding gift are anywhere near what it takes to actually get a concealed weapons permit. Those are just the 'official listed gifts' that must be reported. It is all the unreported and unreportable things that get the CCW, including of course being his friend. What good is discretion if you can't use it to treat your friends, right? And I wonder if friends also do things such as giving his wife the commission on a sales contract to a foreign country, or giving his son/cousin/nephew a good job, or going to a party at his house and "accidentally" leaving a fur coat behind - thats what friends are for. But what about mucking your ace high flush to a straight in a private poker game?

Last edited by monkeshine; 08-22-2013 at 7:02 PM..
Old 08-24-2013, 9:06 AM

move to Stanislaus, Sac or Tuolumne county, get a ccw then you can carry in the State of CA

History is a myth that men agree to believe.
Napoleon
Old 08-31-2013, 4:09 AM

What if I move to Tuolum e County or any county that gives CCW how long do I have to be a resedent soni can get a CCW? Also once I get the CCW and I decide to love back to Los Angeles what will happen to my CCW?

Now let's say I donate $500 to the sheriffs office and give the check directly to the main sherif that approves or denies people. Then I apply for my CCW will I really get approved or is this some kind of a myth because I really don't mind give the $500 for a CCW my family's safety is wort more than then stupid $500.

Last edited by TheDigitalPicasso; 08-31-2013 at 4:14 AM..
Old 08-31-2013, 6:29 AM
Calguns Addict

$500... lol add a zero at least.

And the state and the feds are up Baca's *** these days. His reign of 'pay to play' looks to be finally winding down.

I wouldn't bet against him however, and his replacement, if such thing could be imagined to exist will not be any better.

Pick and choose, pick and choose. If I feel I need to carry, I do. But that's a dangerous game, I wouldn't recommend it.
Old 08-31-2013, 7:09 AM

Playing the resident game will not work, the back ground officer will smell that trick and if you move , it's over

Napoleon
Old 08-31-2013, 8:07 AM

There are other cities than just Los Angeles in L.A. county, and ANY Chief of Police can approve a CCW permit.

Just an example, not current info: Several years ago, the Chief of the LAPD signed all of 4 permits in one year. During that same year, the Chief of the Culver City Police Dept signed a whopping 180 permits! That Chief (Ted Cooke) was definitely pro-2nd Amendment. Of course, you have to be a resident of "whatever" city within the county, and there are lots of smaller cities. The current Sheriff of L.A. County (and probably all future Sheriff's) will only sign permits IF you're "somebody", or have donated scads of money to their campaign. An example of that was the actor, Edward James Olmos, who, after having received several death threats, was approached by the Sheriff and ASKED if he wanted a CCW permit! Olmos was one of those "somebodies"....but to his credit, he didn't accept the offer that the Sheriff had approached him with.

A CCW permit that was signed by ANY small city PD is all you need for STATEWIDE CCW.
Old 08-31-2013, 8:13 AM

Keep in mind that any CCW can have restrictions on it , on how,when or where you may carry. Most are not restricted but they can be

Napoleon
Old 08-31-2013, 10:21 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDigitalPicasso View Post
What if I move to Tuolum e County or any county that gives CCW how long do I have to be a resedent soni can get a CCW? Also once I get the CCW and I decide to love back to Los Angeles what will happen to my CCW?
Don't know what Tuolomne County wants; state law does not impose a residency length.

If you DID get LTC from one county, then moved to another, state law prescribes that the LTC expires in 90 days from when you moved.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 08-31-2013, 11:00 AM

So I live in Van Nuys CA 91406 is there any way I can apply for CCW here and get it. Why is it that my family has to be threatened or hurt for us to obtain a ccw permit? We need to do something about this this is not fair. Is there a law suit on this issue for Los Angeles or is it up in the air?

Last edited by TheDigitalPicasso; 08-31-2013 at 11:02 AM..
Old 08-31-2013, 1:43 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Is there a law suit on this issue for Los Angeles or is it up in the air?
Several related suits, most waiting for 9th Circuit.

Lu v Baca - http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=545848

Richards v Prieto - http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Richards_v._Prieto

Essentially, until Federal Courts rule that license to carry may not be denied without specific cause, because carry is a right protected under 2A, there is no way to force an unwilling Sheriff or city Chief to issue.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 08-31-2013, 2:28 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
So I live in Van Nuys CA 91406 is there any way I can apply for CCW here and get it. Why is it that my family has to be threatened or hurt for us to obtain a ccw permit? We need to do something about this this is not fair. Is there a law suit on this issue for Los Angeles or is it up in the air?
Sir,

Your two options to get a permit are from LAPD or from the Sheriff.

Realistically, neither is going to happen. A previous poster cited that in a recent year, LAPD only gave out four permits.

I can't speak to LAPD criteria, but the number of four permits speaks volumes.

There are quite a few anecdotes of privileged folks getting permits from the Sheriff. Very few ordinary applications have been approved. Those tended be supported by good cause statements that identified a very specific threat (typically by name, address and DOB) and where other protective measures would not have been adequate. Generalized threats and/or a desire for a better quality of personal protection just are not going to get you there. You really need to be specific about what sets you apart from all of the other applicants that also get denied.

Not saying that's the way it should be. I'm just saying that's the way it is.
Old 08-31-2013, 6:19 PM

Move to another county or better yet move to free America.
Old 08-31-2013, 6:43 PM

Let Lee Baca give you a pearl necklace.
Old 09-02-2013, 9:15 AM

Quote:
Hell, If i'm not mistaken you can't even buy or import (online) ammo into the city of L.A. Van Nuys falls under the city of L.A.

I have a buddy who lives in Northridge, he has to drive out of the area just to buy his ammo.

I've got another friend who is a Reserve Peace Officer with LAPD, he has a permit but will lose it upon leaving the department, though they are working to change that policy.
Old 09-02-2013, 9:22 AM
Banned

There are three cases pending oral argument in the 9th Circuit against Baca, LAPD and Torrance related to their definition of Good Cause.