Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 06-08-2019, 4:04 PM
Veteran Member

Default PSD 5.56 Brass - Hard to Deprime

Have roughly 500 rounds of once-fired PSD South Korean 5.56 range brass that is laughing at my Frankford Hand Deprimer. Web search confirms the depriming issues and incidence of off-center flash holes. Should I chuck it in my yellow brass recycle bucket or ?
Civil War 2.0 - If it comes to pass, the America-hating Leftists will have brought it upon themselves. I value Freedom more than their sorry lives and the form of Governance they espouse, which offers no Freedom and complete servitude to the State.
Quote:
"We have four boxes with which to defend our Freedoms: the Soap box, the Ballot box, the Jury box, and the Cartridge box" - Ed Howdershelt
Old 06-08-2019, 4:15 PM
CGSSA Community Leader I.E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartHog View Post
Have roughly 500 rounds of once-fired PSD South Korean 5.56 range brass that is laughing at my Frankford Hand Deprimer. Web search confirms the depriming issues and incidence of off-center flash holes. Should I chuck it in my yellow brass recycle bucket or ?
Check out Mighty Armory, Wayne offers a deprime and swagging die all in one for .223
CRPA Member Life
NRA Certified RSO, Pistol & Rifle Instructor
Women On Target Clinic Instructor
Old 06-08-2019, 4:54 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks but that really doesn't answer my question. Also, the hand deprimer is all I have to use right now until I get a area freed-up to build a bench and set up my presses. Planned on using a Lee universal decapping die and a RCBS swager die.
Civil War 2.0 - If it comes to pass, the America-hating Leftists will have brought it upon themselves. I value Freedom more than their sorry lives and the form of Governance they espouse, which offers no Freedom and complete servitude to the State.
Quote:
"We have four boxes with which to defend our Freedoms: the Soap box, the Ballot box, the Jury box, and the Cartridge box" - Ed Howdershelt
Old 06-08-2019, 4:59 PM

Crimped primers should be processed using a press mounted tool like Lee's de-capping die.

Your hand de-primer is good for non-crimped brass.

Right tool wrong brass

Right brass wrong tool
Old 06-08-2019, 5:12 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSightsOnly View Post
Crimped primers should be processed using a press mounted tool like Lee's de-capping die.

Your hand de-primer is good for non-crimped brass.

Right tool wrong brass

Right brass wrong tool
I think you're pretty much right. It will do LC crimped with a little more effort than Win/FC non-crimped but that PSD with the crimp-from-hell and the red lacquer is gnarly. Will just save all the crimped stuff for the press.
Quote:
Old 06-08-2019, 5:28 PM
Veteran Member

I use the Lee Universal decapping die so I don't have to worry about breaking the pins in my sizing dies. Works like a charm.

Here's what I do to avoid broken pins. Instead of slamming the ram into the pin I bring it up until the pin makes contact, then apply pressure. After a few thousand cases I've learned how much pressure it takes to break a crimped primer free vs. a pin that's hitting the case head.

For the RCBS press mounted swager, you may find you need either a longer handle or a rubber mallet to get the case separated from the swaging pin. Unless of course you'e willing to live with bruised palms.
Old 06-08-2019, 5:52 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

If the flash holes are off center. Throw it away. It will just mess you up each time you reload it. Cost you a lot of recapping pins.
Old 06-08-2019, 9:17 PM
Veteran Member

I have a Harvey hand held decap tool, and most 5.56 is too stiff for it, so to the Rock Chucker I go with a decap only die.

Bob B.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Old 06-08-2019, 9:21 PM

If you can confirm the off center flash holes I'd say chuck it, not worth the time.
We must be on calguns...
Old 06-09-2019, 8:25 AM
Veteran Member

Some Korean brass is way harder to deprime than others. KA and PS 30.06 hard to re-size even on the second resize/reload.
Old 06-20-2019, 2:05 PM

Some of that Korean brass has *undersized* flash holes (in addition to the "crimp from hell").

Right PITA
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillwater562 View Post
luckily I live on a cult a sac
Yep: my place is 3rd compound on the left
Old 06-20-2019, 3:37 PM
Calguns Addict

I use the little punch and block with a hammer from Lee. One of the few lee products I like.
Old 06-21-2019, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member

Ya, I got tired snapping pins off on military loads so that Lee decapper is worth the investment. Be careful with range brass and the occasional berdan primer.