Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 05-28-2021, 9:12 AM
Calguns Addict

Default 530.5s should be punishable by death

Any case that requires this much paper and work should never be 1170 nothingness at best.

And now back to your regular programming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.
Old 05-28-2021, 8:40 PM

As a probation officer, I agree that something like this should be far more than a simple 1170h sentence.
Old 05-31-2021, 2:42 AM
Calguns Addict

Identity theft?
Old 06-04-2021, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr310 View Post
Any case that requires this much paper and work should never be 1170 nothingness at best.

And now back to your regular programming.

I am surprised George Gascon has not refused to prosecute those cases citing inequality as a reason.

"If you expect logic associated with California law, it will only make your head hurt.." - Ron-Solo, 2013
Old 06-04-2021, 11:55 AM

How big is the scheme? Big financial loss? Possibly linked to other ID theft activity in other jurisdictions? Feds (FBI, Secret Service, IRS-CI, Postal Inspectors) would likely gladly take a referral. At the fed level, 18 USC 1028A (agg. ID theft) is a mandatory two years served consecutively after anything else, wire fraud in most cases. Depending on loss amount you could have the ringleaders getting 3-5 years for wire fraud plus the mandatory two for ID theft and they have to serve 85% of their sentence.
Old 06-06-2021, 1:42 PM

Having worked economic crimes for the last 5 years, I’ve only ever had one of my cases actually prosecuted at a federal level, and that was the USPIS on an auto fraud/mail fraud case where the suspect had numerous fraud/ID theft priors. With that said, I agree that a lot of high dollar loss/major fraud cases should be federally prosecuted but good luck getting a fed to take it and actually get it prosecuted (at least here in OC).

Anyways, even though it is an 1170 sentence, I’ve still gotten some good time on my suspects for some of my major cases. Especially if the suspect has strike priors and the case can be filed with the white collar crime enhancements.
Old 06-08-2021, 6:15 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgeway View Post
How big is the scheme? Big financial loss? Possibly linked to other ID theft activity in other jurisdictions? Feds (FBI, Secret Service, IRS-CI, Postal Inspectors) would likely gladly take a referral. At the fed level, 18 USC 1028A (agg. ID theft) is a mandatory two years served consecutively after anything else, wire fraud in most cases. Depending on loss amount you could have the ringleaders getting 3-5 years for wire fraud plus the mandatory two for ID theft and they have to serve 85% of their sentence.

I’ve had the feds take one of my mail cases. And it was only because they had him on a drug case and just decided to take it all to make it cleaner. Every other time the loss just hasn’t been enough for them to take it. Oh well.

Agreed on strike priors making it worth it. Just waiting until those go away.

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.
Old 06-13-2021, 6:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr310 View Post
Every other time the loss just hasn’t been enough for them to take it. Oh well.
Unless it is a famous person, politician, or other prominent member of the community whose indictment will garner significant media attention, a good rule of thumb is:

$550,000 loss - the US Attorney will MAYBE be interested

$1,500,000+ loss - the US Attorney will DEFINITELY be interested

From a fed perspective, the reason for this is due to the thresholds for months in prison on the federal sentencing guidelines. At $550,000 you're looking at around 24 months (but probably less). At $1,500,000 its more like 40 months. Also, pretty much all US Attorney's Offices have major turnover issues because (my opinion) the USAO job is not really seen as a career. People do it for 3-5 years to get trial experience before they jump ship for a private law firm where they can bill $1,000 per hour.

It is frustrating for us feds too, we can find a great case and if the loss doesn't pan out, they will just close it down and kill it... I can't tell you how many people got a $100,000 PPP loan and then went straight to a car dealership and bought a Mercedes. But since the loss is "too low" they will never be held accountable. I wish the CARES Act had included a provision for state/local LE to prosecute folks for fraud.