Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 09-20-2019, 11:38 AM

Me too. Surplus firearms are what got me into firearms in general. It seemed at the time only the whacky old timers were into them and they were dirt cheap. Lucky me. Unfortunately I still didn’t have the money at that time, and certainly didn’t expect them to rise in price the way they have or become scarce. Regardless, I’m buying when I can, although its slightly bittersweet.
Old 09-20-2019, 9:14 PM

C&R is what got me started as well, I always liked Militaria & collectables , firearms used during war and the history , a lot more interesting because the military surplus was a piece of history.

The joy of taking an old surplus firearm to the range and firing it was like bringing it back to life after years of being in storage.
Old 09-23-2019, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimja View Post
There are hundreds of thousands of C&R's sitting in various places in Europe that can be imported right now. The main problem (other than the ban on some Russian guns) is that the asking prices are too high

The refurb Mosin Nagant 91/30's and Yugo M48's being sold by Cabela's (among other retailers) were all imported recently
True. A lot of formerly thought of as rare Swedes and Swiss came in and our coming in. Century is working through a warehouse in Ukraine. Lots of whole collections coming to market. I believe we are entering the Silver Age of Milsurps.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 09-26-2019, 4:49 PM

I started late, but I do remember when you could get a Norinco SKS's new in grease, and 1100 rnds of corrosive ammo, for $99.00 at the Cow Palace.
Old 09-26-2019, 5:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj1 View Post
Big 5

I got a 91/30 and one of those MAS36's from Big5... both pretty nice, a lot of those MAS36's were new. Pretty sure everything else was shipped to my door... and left. Nothing like the good old days of old military rifles sitting there till you get home from work. I think a M39 and Romanian SKS are my favorites, and a the two nicest 8mm Mausers.
Old 09-26-2019, 5:57 PM

I believe the early semiautomatic s&w are becoming c&r eligible and I've been out on the hunt for a while now.
Old 09-26-2019, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ora Serrata View Post
Yeah I remember being at Big 5 when they had Enfields for $130. They were in pretty crappy condition so I passed. I’d happily pay that now for them in that condition.
I remember the days when Big 5 had Swedish Mauser rifles for $119. Some were all matching & in very good condition, with excellent bores
Old 09-26-2019, 7:13 PM

Santa Clara County Fairgrounds gun show 1982 - Springfield 1903 - like unfired - $180 dollars - many others - all for near the same price - and I only bought one cuz I was just starting out after college.

Still have it so I guess I should be happy.
Old 09-27-2019, 10:43 AM

I remember the days when gas was .30 cents a gallon and a hamburger a Quarter, movie tickets .50............you could go on a date with 5 bucks
Old 09-27-2019, 3:11 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
I remember the days when gas was .30 cents a gallon and a hamburger a Quarter, movie tickets .50............you could go on a date with 5 bucks
$5 bucks used to get us to Yosemite and back from Freekmont in '68. And another 5 spot would bail out a case of C-rations. PAX

"A free people should be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798
Old 09-27-2019, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo1 View Post
$5 bucks used to get us to Yosemite and back from Freekmont in '68. And another 5 spot would bail out a case of C-rations. PAX
Minimum Wage was what $2.00 per hour, CRats........Yummy, everything you needed for a gourmet meal.
Old 09-29-2019, 8:41 PM

My dad bought a few antique guns when he was younger for stupid low prices compared to today. Like an 1873 Springfield 45-70 rifle for $50 mail ordered. I remember when I was a teen ager looking at the Shotgun News magazines and seeing ads that said 5 Mausers for $100. Or Colt 45 auto revolvers for $17.95. Shotgun News had pages and pages of ads for old guns. Wish I had started collecting sooner.
Old 09-29-2019, 9:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
Minimum Wage was what $2.00 per hour, CRats........Yummy, everything you needed for a gourmet meal.
I'm pretty sure they were Korean surplus to boot. 15 years old? Ten bucks, there and back with grub. Three fellas off for a road trip, $3 bucks and some coke bottles. Was worth every penny. PAX

"A free people should be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798
Old 10-21-2019, 12:09 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I miss the bounty but I also miss the characters at the Great Western show when it was in Pomona. My brother and I still joke about one guy called "The Finnbear" who sold....well Finnish stuff. His favorite line was "That's some rare shi*t!!!!" spoken loudly in accented english. He used to get on his kid's case pretty often: "Karl!" do this, do that. Poor kid, that is unless that was the way he used to talk to his kid and the kid was used to it. My last cash and carry was at that show w/out C&R/COE.

I also used to subscribe to the Cruffler email list run by Mark Cervarich I think). This was pre-forums, Calguns and everything. Those dudes would totally get into some serious disagreements and there were a lot of interesting characters on that list as well. I bought a few nice things on that list.

Here's the archive from the Internet Wayback machine:
http://www.shelfspace.com/~c-r-ffl/archives/

Old 10-21-2019, 7:34 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakosf View Post
I remember the days when Big 5 had Swedish Mauser rifles for $119. Some were all matching & in very good condition, with excellent bores
That was the expensive ones, the M1938s. The M1896 were only $99.
Old 10-21-2019, 8:54 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zatoh View Post
I also used to subscribe to the Cruffler email list run by Mark Cervarich I think). This was pre-forums, Calguns and everything. Those dudes would totally get into some serious disagreements and there were a lot of interesting characters on that list as well. I bought a few nice things on that list.
I got a real nice EG Mak on that list for $140 after they dried up and who knows what else. Those were the days.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:28 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealocan View Post
Okay folks let's put our heads together and think about some countries that might still have some old firearms in underground bunkers, that haven't been emptied out for our US dollars into our c&r for other firearms market yet.
I know there are countries out there that have not fallen from communism or that we won't currently deal with but in the far future... Who knows?

The first country that comes to the top of my head is Cuba.

Sure it's not politically going to happen anytime soon, until their government isn't communist (or our government fully is) but I have a feeling they have lots of various makes and models of small arms all greased up and buried in underground bunkers there.
( Of course if they're all full auto AK-47s that doesn't help us much. )

China of course has probably still has SKS is piled up way high but the political climate for them coming here anytime soon doesn't look so good either.

Somebody here has got to have a connections in some country, like Austria or maybe even Liechtenstein that's holding out on their good old firearms stuff.

We get them to find the goods over there then connect them with someone like Classic Arms or some other large US based firearms importer. It's that simple.

What country is your best guess that they're still holding out on some good old stuff that would be importable into the US ?
Cuba probably has a fair number of Garands and M1 Carbines courtesy of the US during the Bautista regime. Thompsons and Grease guns, a few BARs too. Although, I doubt Cuba would part with whatever they happened to pick up during the Bay of Pigs.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:25 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saki302 View Post
I still remember Israeli 308 surplus in the early 90s- $80-90 for 1000 delivered. Boxer primed, reloadable.
We must have left thousands of cases in the desert. Who would reload? It wasn't worth the time!

I'm just old enough to remember cash and carry at the big Great Western show here. And all the pre-internet gun show BS

Man I miss the South African 250 rnd Battles packs for 19.95!

Old 10-21-2019, 1:44 PM

Heck i just bought a 1918 BSA 303 Brit for 50 bucks from a guy. With shipping and couple new parts I am closer to 130.00 in it though. Deals are still out there in private sales. The Internet is largely responsible for all these exaggerated prices now.

Going to buy a 1943 Long Branch SMLE from a local guy this week for 30.00 Bucks, Granted it has no wood, I have a stock for it, but all matching barrel, Receiver and Bolt. Rest can be scrounged for with patience.

Deals are still out there like the Good Old Days. Just have to search for them harder now. You are not going to find good deals if you limit your searches from the Couch buying from online Vendors

I also do not buy into this dried up thing. I think some of that is fabricated salesmanship. You see way too many Vendors say for years, and it is always the same old thing, "Oh look what we just found in the warehouse we never knew we had",LOL

People keep buying at crazy prices, they will find more for you.

Last edited by AR22; 10-21-2019 at 1:49 PM..
Old 10-21-2019, 3:14 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUTCH 7.62 View Post
Man I miss the South African 250 rnd Battles packs for 19.95!
I miss those $3 or $4 bandoleers of 8mm. $30 cans of 7.62x54R... actually have a lot of that 70 round/bandoleer 8mm and five cans of 7.62x54R (one of those cans was $39). I haven't shot 8mm in a long time.
Old 10-21-2019, 3:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zatoh View Post
I miss the bounty but I also miss the characters at the Great Western show when it was in Pomona. My brother and I still joke about one guy called "The Finnbear" who sold....well Finnish stuff. His favorite line was "That's some rare shi*t!!!!" spoken loudly in accented english. He used to get on his kid's case pretty often: "Karl!" do this, do that. Poor kid, that is unless that was the way he used to talk to his kid and the kid was used to it. My last cash and carry was at that show w/out C&R/COE.

Here's the archive from the Internet Wayback machine:
http://www.shelfspace.com/~c-r-ffl/archives/
I had a 01 FFL back then and had a booth at the Great Western show. Sold a ton of guns back then.

Those were some good times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex Talionis View Post
it basically boils down to "do as we say". A million little King Georges out there in uniform with a gun and a badge.
Old 10-21-2019, 6:07 PM
Calguns Addict

I once paid for a 91/30 with spare change. I miss that

Little do they know that's just my stripper outfit and name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperX View Post
I am currently cleaning it and I noticed when I squeeze the snake this white paste like substance comes out. What the heck is this crap?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff L View Post
Don't D&T a virgin milsurp rifle. You'll burn in collector hell.
Old 10-21-2019, 6:34 PM

I miss those days as well. I remember the "U-fixem's" at Century. Got 4 Turk Mausers for $100. I figured they would be projects and all were definitely used, but complete and all headspaced fine. Got Mosin and Enfield "U-fixem's" as well.

Also remember ordering a Steyr M95 with ammo. When I got home from work the rifle and ammo were on the door step in a box and on my front door was a sticker which said UPS couldn't deliver my wine order because I needed to sign for it!
Old 10-25-2019, 8:40 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springfield45 View Post
If we could get along with the Russians for a while I would love to see the 1895 Winchesters in 7.62x54R and the 44 Russian S&W's revolvers that must be crated up somewhere.
That is a pipe dream, as the 1895 Winchesters all went to Spain during the mid 1930's and the S&W Revolvers were literally melted down (along with many other weapons) to make tanks.

I know because I have been there and tried that decades ago.
Old 10-25-2019, 10:11 PM

Bummer. I hope some misplaced stashes of stuff starts showing up. Got to be some undiscovered hoards buried in caves somewhere in the ex-Soviet Bloc countries.
Old 10-25-2019, 10:30 PM

Well, maybe Maduro or his successors will sell the C&Rs in Venezuela someday.

Probably will come with a free Militia uniform - only worn once.

https://www.guns.com/news/2017/08/28...f-force-photos
Old 10-26-2019, 9:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerbutthead View Post
Well, maybe Maduro or his successors will sell the C&Rs in Venezuela someday.

Probably will come with a free Militia uniform - only worn once.

https://www.guns.com/news/2017/08/28...f-force-photos
Pretty sure Venezuela sold anything easily importable. Peru has Mausers. Indonesia has the best stock Mausers and FN-49

Old 10-26-2019, 9:12 AM
Calguns Addict

I was looking in some old paperwork yesterday and spotted a few receipts... Mauser ammo at .10 per round and a couple of M48's for $109 each.

Turk Mauser for $39, MAS36 $59, VKT M39 $149.99, not C&R but stainless Mini-14 for $460, Ruger P95 for $249... all around 1999 or 2000.

AR's were expensive. A Bushmaster upper for $500+
Old 10-26-2019, 9:41 AM

I was lucky to have bought a lot from AIM surplus when they just got up and running. I got many for about $100 each.

Russian needed to store all the SVTs, G43, Lugers, Walthers, K98, etc in Albanian 10 years ago. That would be a wonderful addition to the surplus market.

Antelope Valley grown, now State of Jefferson transplant.
Old 10-26-2019, 11:25 AM

In all reality there really aren't going to be a lot of WW2 type surplus weapons left on the market. China, may have quite a bit, who knows? Many countries long ago dumped off their Mausers/Enfields and went to select fire weapons. I used to have good contacts with guys from Century, and towards the end of 2010 more of less most of the good stuff was pretty much gone. SKS's yes, those are still in the thousands, but in China, and the former USSR, and those haven't been taken off the ban list Clinton put in. Not Bush, nor Obama, nor Trump has done a thing to loosen up the China,USSR bans on SVT's, SKS, Makarov's, Tokarevs, etc. Many countries now get more money selling their guns for scrap with U.N. monies than selling them off as surplus. The 1990's were as good as the 50's for surplus guns. and the prices were cheaper than in the fifties if you factor in inflation. In the fifties surplus 8mm ran an average of 5c a round. The Turk ammo in cases at times was still 4c to 8c a round, and many flavors from other countries also came in. Same with the 54R and for a time 7,62 Nato. I used to buy cracked stock Mosins, m39 for 3 x $100 and most didn't have cracked stocks.
Century used to have dark bore Mauser for 49.87 if you bought ten. Once got ten G24t German rifles with all the marking. Another time my father in law got an all matching sans the bolt SS rifle k98 for yes 50.00. These were just pulled off the pile in St. Alban's Vt warehouse. Those were the days.
Old 10-26-2019, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt14k View Post
Pretty sure Venezuela sold anything easily importable. Peru has Mausers. Indonesia has the best stock Mausers and FN-49

The guys on gunboards showed a pic supposedly taken from CNN this February showing Venezuelan militia currently practicing - some with Mosin Nagants.
https://forums.gunboards.com/showthr...s-in-Venezuela

Their eyes are a hell of a lot more observant than mine to see that ex-sniper type repair on the old man's upside down held Mosin.
Old 10-27-2019, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerbutthead View Post
The guys on gunboards showed a pic supposedly taken from CNN this February showing Venezuelan militia currently practicing - some with Mosin Nagants.

https://forums.gunboards.com/showthr...s-in-Venezuela

Their eyes are a hell of a lot more observant than mine to see that ex-sniper type repair on the old man's upside down held Mosin.
I saw that on RMNF. I meant the Venezuelan Mausers and FN-49.

Mosins there are plenty left. Warehouses as big as football fields in Ukraine. Russia too.

Old 11-12-2019, 8:45 PM
Calguns Addict

I've been collecting C&R for the better part of 25 years. Of the 16 years my Wife and I have been together, I never really "hid" any new purchases from her that secretly went into the safe, because I always told her each acquisition was an investment that will appreciate in value many times over year after year. She took it all with a grain of salt back then. After the years have gone by, I've shown her I was right.

Gun-Control: "A theory like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

The 2nd Amendment Explained

Last edited by GOEX FFF; 11-12-2019 at 8:49 PM..
Old 11-13-2019, 12:08 AM

In the article at the website below about the late Samuel Cummings, founder of Interarms, once a large importer of C&R and military surplus firearms, there is shown an Interarms advertisement from the back of a 1968 American Rifleman...$79 Lee-Enfield No. 4 Sniper rifles, $30 WW2 German K98s, $66 US M1 Carbines, $79 FN 30.06 rifles.

https://unblinkingeye.com/Guns/Interarms/interarms.html

By the time the 1990's rolled around, one could still buy good imported No. 4 rifles for around $100 bucks. The first two No. 4 rifles pictured below are Interarms imports. The brand new No. 4 Mk II rifle is a $215 Century Arms International import (CAI) from that time.

They are Long Branch, Savage and Fazakerley manufactured No. 4 rifles.

The spike bayonets came with the rifles, and the No. 9 blade bayonet was included with the No. 4 Mark II.

The importer stamp on the IAI (Interarms) rifles is very small and hard to see; the CAI importer stamp is on the barrel and more obvious.

A great feeling in those days to also walk into a store and buy a find and walk out with it the same day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg three no 4 rifles.jpg (57.0 KB, 100 views)

Last edited by loademup; 11-13-2019 at 12:10 AM..
Old 11-16-2019, 7:31 AM

Where is Royal Tiger getting the Ethiopians from? Rumor has it that another lot of South American Mausers are coming to market. A few months back Centerfire Systems had some nice original 7.65 1935 Peruvian Mausers for $300-350. Also Century/Sarco are working through a Ukrainian Warehouse and RC Mausers should be available sooner than later. If the 1990s were the Golden Age of Milsurps the 2020s will be the silver Age.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk