Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 05-24-2020, 7:11 PM

Default Hand-me-down Sporterized? 1903-A3

Hey Guys,

Inherited this lil guy but having a bit of a hard time identifying it. From what I can find it, appears to be 1903-A3 but converted to a hunting rifle perhaps? Has some Redfield sights and the stalk wears some knurling of sorts. Interestingly enough, it has some pretty rough file makes on the breach where I've seen inspection stamping marks. Any thoughts?

IMG_3680 by Paul Watson, on Flickr

IMG_3710 by Paul Watson, on Flickr

IMG_3887 by Paul Watson, on Flickr

IMG_3886 by Paul Watson, on Flickr

IMG_3893 by Paul Watson, on Flickr

IMG_3905 by Paul Watson, on Flickr
Old 05-24-2020, 7:16 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Nice, you got the original rear sights still? You could restore it since the just stock is gone.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAL.BAR View Post
You're letting shallow politics influence your gasp of facts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
Anyone not voting Brown is putting other things above gun rights.
Whitman + Cooley or Harris = a rash of gun control California has never seen the likes of.
-Gene
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
If you're not voting why are you even opining?
Brown has a track record of not bowing to Dem pressure on guns.
-Gene
Old 05-24-2020, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2shotjoe View Post
Nice, you got the original rear sights still? You could restore it since the just stock is gone.

Not that I've found yet, but the house is a treasure chest of goodies but could be some time before I uncover whats I'll in there. lots of unmarked little boxes like these. now just to find the 'spare parts' boxes lol

IMG_3724 by Paul Watson, on Flickr

IMG_3716 by Paul Watson, on Flickr
Old 05-24-2020, 8:23 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Remington receiver and a Remington trigger guard (rounder, Smith Corona has the asymmetric bend) so those match. Whatís the barrel stamp look like right behind the front sight?

Mine is a restored Remington 1903-A3 sometime april to July 1943 build, has a March 1943 barrel, serial 3535xxxx, yours is sometime later than that around mid 1943. If the barrel date matches it may be its original barrel, not a guarantee since they can have been rebarreled with new old stock barrels of similar timeline, but usually an armory rebuild didnít care to match and just put on what they had.

Approx dates from known serials are listed here.

http://www.vishooter.net/RA3.txt

If you decide to keep it and especially if restoring it sometime youíll want to be aware of the CMP forums for sale and parts sections and the Liberty Tree Collectors site.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, CRPA member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / FPC / CCRKBA / GOA / NAGR / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member - Support your defenders!

Last edited by lordmorgul; 05-24-2020 at 8:36 PM..
Old 05-25-2020, 5:11 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Someone paid good money for that stock. Upgraded wood

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 05-25-2020, 6:52 AM

I think the "file" marks on the right receiver wall are machine marks from when it was made. Typical.
The original finish was parkerizing, so, restoring to original condition would entail a bit more than just a new stock.
I would leave it as is, a nice sporterized rifle.
Old 05-25-2020, 8:11 AM

That is a classic example of the sporterizing/converting military rifle trend that existed following WW2.........not at all a poor job, and if mine I'd keep it just as is. That rifle is a bit too far down the road to try reversing and restoring to it's military configuration......which would not be cheap if done correctly. Those 'file marks' on the side of the magazine opening are very likely the original machine markings when it was produced. Too, mounting that Redfield aperture sight required drilling and tapping holes to retain the base....something that'd have to be addressed on a re-hab...........

The incised patterns on your stock are what's known as checkering.

And by the way, don't give it away, someone'd appreciate an old classic such as that!
Old 05-25-2020, 9:07 AM

Here's an idea,,, why not just shoot it like it is? It is pointless to restore that gun to original Military configuration because there are literally millions of better ones already out there and you'd spend more than its worth doing it.

That is a Classic Springfield Sporter. Leave it like that. The file marks on the receiver are from someone trying to hide the circular milling marks that were there before. NO big deal you could go after it with a file with some 220 grit Sand Paper wrapped around it and smooth them out if they really bug you.

I'd just touch "everything" up with some cold blue and maybe refinish the stock and put on a new Recoil Pad.

Then I'd find some ammo or load some ammo and go to the range and learn how to shoot with iron sights. It is very rewarding and you'd soon find out that they are just about as accurate as a scope.

That Redfield Receiver Sight is an excellent piece of equipment and once you figure out how to use it will easily put you on a man sized target at 600 yards. As a 200 yard hunting rifle or Range Gun you're not going to do any better.

Try shooting a National Match Event near you with the rifle. Yes they will let you use it unless they are complete A-holes. They will show you how to use the sights and how to make adjustments for different ranges. It ain't that hard, and please don't whine about your OLD EYES!

If you can focus on your Front Sight 4 feet in front of you,, You can shoot just fine with OLD EYES! You just have to learn how to do it.

Like I said ,,, it ain't that hard. You look thru the hole in the back sight, then put the front sight on the target, then pull the trigger.

That's all there is to it, and I hope you actually use the gun.

Good luck with your inheritance.

Randy
Rule #1 Liberals screw up everything they touch.
Rule #2 Whatever they accuse you of, they are already doing.
Rule #3 Liberals lie about anything no matter how insignificant.
Rule #4 If all else fails, they call you a Racist!

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.
www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 05-25-2020 at 9:10 AM..
Old 05-25-2020, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmorgul View Post
Remington receiver and a Remington trigger guard (rounder, Smith Corona has the asymmetric bend) so those match. Whatís the barrel stamp look like right behind the front sight?
Awesome info Andrew, these are exactly the lil ques I'm looking to learn!

Unfortunately the front sight looks to cover any stamp. It's got a little pin that perhaps if I push out will revel it?

IMG_3944 by Paul Watson, on Flickr

IMG_3945 by Paul Watson, on Flickr

only other stamped markings are on the bolt
IMG_3946 by Paul Watson, on Flickr

Last edited by dustthisz32; 05-25-2020 at 12:23 PM..
Old 05-25-2020, 11:03 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The barrel stamp could be covered by that sight, but I think it may be a different barrel entirely, possible that in the sporterize process they chose a barrel with that other front sight and mounted the barrel. Itís not unheard of because many of the stock barrels were shot out anyway and needed replacement. Many got chambered in different chambers while doing so, you should check that carefully and look for some of the old ammo you find and see if something other than 30-06 is what you have.

https://i.imgur.com/od9tk4y.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/xAK0W1J.jpg

Note the notch in the top of your barrel, itís not typical of 03-A3 barrels, as far as In aware, spent awhile looking around at various pics while working on mine. But if it is a typically used surrogate barrel I just donít know that much about that.

https://i.imgur.com/Y5hbJUL.jpg

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, CRPA member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / FPC / CCRKBA / GOA / NAGR / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member - Support your defenders!

Last edited by lordmorgul; 05-25-2020 at 11:13 AM..
Old 05-25-2020, 11:06 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

As you can see on the receiver stamp there is considerable metal removed in the parkerizing removal polish job, making the stamping much shallower, I agree with others enjoy this one as it is a great Sporter with a unique sight setup, itís beautiful and probably very functional and accurate.

Also if you post these same pics on the CMP forum youíre likely to get more useful info, for instance about that bolt handle. Itís not quite like mine either and I know there were several variations.

https://i.imgur.com/6G9uRAb.jpg

Andrew - Lancaster, CA

Last edited by lordmorgul; 05-25-2020 at 11:17 AM..
Old 05-28-2020, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogrunner View Post
That is a classic example of the sporterizing/converting military rifle trend that existed following WW2.........not at all a poor job, and if mine I'd keep it just as is. That rifle is a bit too far down the road to try reversing and restoring to it's military configuration......which would not be cheap if done correctly. Those 'file marks' on the side of the magazine opening are very likely the original machine markings when it was produced. Too, mounting that Redfield aperture sight required drilling and tapping holes to retain the base....something that'd have to be addressed on a re-hab...........

The incised patterns on your stock are what's known as checkering.

And by the way, don't give it away, someone'd appreciate an old classic such as that!
Kinda what I was thinking as well. thanks for the info!
Old 05-28-2020, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmorgul View Post
The barrel stamp could be covered by that sight, but I think it may be a different barrel entirely, possible that in the sporterize process they chose a barrel with that other front sight and mounted the barrel. Itís not unheard of because many of the stock barrels were shot out anyway and needed replacement. Many got chambered in different chambers while doing so, you should check that carefully and look for some of the old ammo you find and see if something other than 30-06 is what you have.

https://i.imgur.com/od9tk4y.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/xAK0W1J.jpg

Note the notch in the top of your barrel, itís not typical of 03-A3 barrels, as far as In aware, spent awhile looking around at various pics while working on mine. But if it is a typically used surrogate barrel I just donít know that much about that.
Yeah, after browsing a few dozen that notch stood out for sure. Found a bunch of 30-06, so I guess I'm just going to have to dress it and see how she fares!
Old 05-29-2020, 7:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pofoo View Post
I think the "file" marks on the right receiver wall are machine marks from when it was made. Typical.
The original finish was parkerizing, so, restoring to original condition would entail a bit more than just a new stock.
I would leave it as is, a nice sporterized rifle.
I would also leave it as is.

I'd also check to see if it has a 2-groove barrel, as at least some 03-A3s had those.

Last edited by Calif Hunter; 05-29-2020 at 7:52 AM..
Old 05-29-2020, 7:55 AM

I also have a 03 and 03A3 springfield, don't do anything to it except some cleaning. I personally love these rifles and this one you have is real gem, keep it as is and hunt with it.

Psalm 1
Old 05-31-2020, 7:31 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2shotjoe View Post

I picked up a sporterized Remington 1903-a3 a few years ago, it was some work but it came out really well - glad I did (wouldnít do it again-not enough time now).
"The only thing necessary for the triumph [of evil] is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke speech of 23 April 1770, "Thoughts on the Cause of the Present Discontents," delivered to the House of Commons.
Old 06-01-2020, 7:15 AM

I have a 1903 Springfield with the cutout for the Pedersen device. It came with a heavy target style wooden stock and a really neatly designed side mount for a scope (a Weaver k4). I put it in a Bell and Carlson stock, keeping the wooden one as well. I have used it to take most of my mule deer with a different scope set up. It shoots 150 gr Sierras or Ballistic Tips over 52 gr of IMR 4064 well under an inch every time. (I did replace the trigger, though.)
Old 06-08-2020, 4:29 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif Hunter View Post
I have a 1903 Springfield with the cutout for the Pedersen device. It came with a heavy target style wooden stock and a really neatly designed side mount for a scope (a Weaver k4). I put it in a Bell and Carlson stock, keeping the wooden one as well. I have used it to take most of my mule deer with a different scope set up. It shoots 150 gr Sierras or Ballistic Tips over 52 gr of IMR 4064 well under an inch every time. (I did replace the trigger, though.)
badass! hoping to get it out in the next week or so. Found a bunch of ammo simply labeled 'HOT' lol

Now to get some pictures of the arisaka up! oh and ammo because I panic bought some which happened to be the larger 7.7x58 rather than the correct 6.5x50mm round
Old 06-09-2020, 2:08 PM

That wood is gorgeous. Just an amazing rifle. Do not ever sell.
Old 06-09-2020, 2:41 PM

My Restored Sporter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DF5221B3-D2DF-422A-AC68-568E886361AF.jpg (12.6 KB, 14 views)