Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-24-2020, 7:32 PM
jerdog3 jerdog3 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 205
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default Franklin Armory CA7...Please explain

So I've tried to figure this out myself, but I'm more confused now than before I started researching.

If I buy a CA7, can I just throw a regular (mil-spec) AR upper (maybe a 10.5 inch) and have a detachable magazine and still be legal firing semi auto legally?

I've seen a lot of people talking about a single shot and you can't convert it. I've seen a lot of people saying it can't have a detachable magazine. If I have to have a single shot, non detachable magazine, I have no need for it, but if I can throw an BCM 10.5 inch upper, and a brace while have a detachable magazine, this could be fun! Haha.

Any advice you can give would be much appreciated. Thank you!

jerdog3
  #2  
Old 05-24-2020, 7:34 PM
Master_Prestige's Avatar
Master_Prestige Master_Prestige is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 655
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Yes. But what is your definition of “detachable”.
  #3  
Old 05-24-2020, 7:39 PM
jerdog3 jerdog3 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 205
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Prestige View Post
Yes. But what is your definition of “detachable”.
Sorry, I'm not real knowledgable about these technical things which is why I want to make sure I'm not breaking the law if I buy and modify the CA7.

By detachable, I mean that I hit the mag release button and it drops free. I don't want to have to break open the gun, or separate the upper from lower.

How close to "norma AR function" can I get the CA7 to? I'd like a pistol grip, detachable mag, adjustable brace, kinda like what free Americans have in the vast majority of this great country. Ho close to that can I get? Haha.
Thanks!
  #4  
Old 05-24-2020, 7:42 PM
Master_Prestige's Avatar
Master_Prestige Master_Prestige is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 655
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Semi auto AR pistol must be maglocked and used with 10 round or less magazines. There is no other configuration.
  #5  
Old 05-24-2020, 7:44 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ's Avatar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 528
iTrader: 14 / 100%
Default

If the Franklin Armory CA7 is in the same configuration as it's sold, it's an on-roster pistol.

If you change the configuration, the CA7's legality changes. Under Penal Code section 30515, subdivision (a), paragraph (4), a semiautomatic pistol that does not have a fixed magazine, but has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip, is defined as an assault weapon. So if you alter the CA7 to become a semiautomatic pistol that takes a detachable magazine, you've manufactured an assault weapon.

If you use some fixed magazine/maglock/whatever-you-want-to-call-it setup in which you have to render the firearm non-functional to remove the magazine, the DOJ has said "Alterations of a single shot pistol (i.e. changing upper receivers, connecting gas tubes) may also be considered manufacturing an unsafe handgun," but it's unknown if that would actually result in a criminal conviction in court, so you take your chances.
  #6  
Old 05-24-2020, 7:47 PM
jerdog3 jerdog3 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 205
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ View Post
If the Franklin Armory CA7 is in the same configuration as it's sold, it's an on-roster pistol.

If you change the configuration, the CA7's legality changes. Under Penal Code section 30515, subdivision (a), paragraph (4), a semiautomatic pistol that does not have a fixed magazine, but has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip, is defined as an assault weapon. So if you alter the CA7 to become a semiautomatic pistol that takes a detachable magazine, you've manufactured an assault weapon.

If you use some fixed magazine/maglock/whatever-you-want-to-call-it setup in which you have to render the firearm non-functional to remove the magazine, the DOJ has said "Alterations of a single shot pistol (i.e. changing upper receivers, connecting gas tubes) may also be considered manufacturing an unsafe handgun," but it's unknown if that would actually result in a criminal conviction in court, so you take your chances.
Great info! Not at all what I wanted to hear, but the truth rarely is. Haha. Thank you very much!
  #7  
Old 05-24-2020, 9:51 PM
plumbum's Avatar
plumbum plumbum is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Tuh-hay-muh
Posts: 3,614
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

When you hear about people buying “single shot pistol lowers”, that is something completely different from the Franklin Armory CA7.

Getting around the roster by manufacturing a dedicated single shot lower, means you cannot alter that firearm to be anything other than a single shot pistol without the capability to add a magazine of any sort; fixed 0 round sled only. These are what the DOJ is referencing in the note on the roster page.

The Franklin Armory CA7 is an on roster bolt action repeater. Because it passed drop testing, you are able to modify to semi auto as long as you also follow AW regulations; fixed magazine of 10 rounds or less.

You cannot get around the roster, the FFL07’s manufacturing single shot lowers are doing it legally, but I don’t know if they are fully explaining what the hoops are.
__________________
Dear Lord,
Please help me to become the person my dog believes me to be.

Last edited by plumbum; 05-24-2020 at 9:54 PM..
  #8  
Old 05-24-2020, 11:48 PM
jerdog3 jerdog3 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 205
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Prestige View Post
Semi auto AR pistol must be maglocked and used with 10 round or less magazines. There is no other configuration.
That is as clear as it can be said. Thank you for that!
  #9  
Old 06-01-2020, 10:10 AM
kal-mac kal-mac is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 17
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumbum View Post
When you hear about people buying “single shot pistol lowers”, that is something completely different from the Franklin Armory CA7.

Getting around the roster by manufacturing a dedicated single shot lower, means you cannot alter that firearm to be anything other than a single shot pistol without the capability to add a magazine of any sort; fixed 0 round sled only. These are what the DOJ is referencing in the note on the roster page.

The Franklin Armory CA7 is an on roster bolt action repeater. Because it passed drop testing, you are able to modify to semi auto as long as you also follow AW regulations; fixed magazine of 10 rounds or less.

You cannot get around the roster, the FFL07’s manufacturing single shot lowers are doing it legally, but I don’t know if they are fully explaining what the hoops are.
Thank you for this!! I wish I would've read this prior to posting in the Franklin Armory thread.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
  #10  
Old 06-01-2020, 7:03 PM
enorbit3's Avatar
enorbit3 enorbit3 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: SFV
Posts: 1,012
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default

not another CA7 thread.

just read the main thread in the pistol forum.
  #11  
Old 06-01-2020, 8:08 PM
kal-mac kal-mac is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 17
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by enorbit3 View Post
not another CA7 thread.

just read the main thread in the pistol forum.
Lol, no not a new thread. I was referring to something I'd posted a couple of days ago in the Franklin Armory CA7 that was started a while back.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 1:38 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2020, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by Calguns.net on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to Calguns.net.
Tactical Pants Tactical Boots Tactical Gear Military Boots 5.11 Tactical