Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 05-13-2019, 9:49 PM

Default Airline carry-on prep items

I have been flying quiet a bit lately, mostly out on Thursday and back Sunday or Monday, and I usually only bring a carry-on. I have begun to think of items that I should be bringing, that I can carry on the airplane and that I will wear or will fit in a backpack (along with clothes & toiletries).

My list so far:

Wear -
comfortable hiking boots and clothes that I could hike 10 miles a day in.
Fischer Space pen military model
bic lighter
magnifying lens in wallet
quality watch

Pack -
Quality LED flashlight
Camel-back bladder with Sawyer mini (fill once through security)
Ham radio
Amazon Fire
Tablet with a library of "prepper" books/pamphlets
Vitamins & meds for twice the duration of my trip
An emery board (for sharpening a credit card)
charging adapters (AC&DC), cable, and rechargeable battery pack

Of course plenty of cash.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by ChuckD; 05-13-2019 at 10:13 PM..
Old 05-13-2019, 10:27 PM

I don't think the lighter is allowed past TSA.

Otherwise, list looks good. I recommend a re-fillable water bottle.
Noise cancelling headphones are well worth it!
Pain killer.
Cold meds.
Hand sanitizer
A few snack bars, like Cliff bars or kind bars.
Tissues.
Hat
A light hoodie or other super comfortable outer layer.

I fly quite a bit so I always have these things.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:31 PM

Don't forget the TP!

Unless that's what the cash is for
Old 05-13-2019, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haplo View Post
I don't think the lighter is allowed past TSA.

Otherwise, list looks good. I recommend a re-fillable water bottle.
Noise cancelling headphones are well worth it!
Pain killer.
Cold meds.
Hand sanitizer
A few snack bars, like Cliff bars or kind bars.
Tissues.
Hat
A light hoodie or other super comfortable outer layer.

I fly quite a bit so I always have these things.
camelback is in place of a refillable water bottle. I do bring noise cancelling headphones (I normally also bring a backup pair). I bring asprin with my vitamins, wouldn't hurt to add ibuprofen. Kind bars are a great add. A hat is a good add too. As far as hoodie/outer layer goes I always bring seasonal attire.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave50 View Post
Don't forget the TP!

Unless that's what the cash is for
A half roll tp in a ziplock bag is a great add, thanks.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:51 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Disposable smoke hood - good for evacuating airplanes and hotels

https://www.safehomeproducts.com/shp...1280/1280.aspx

https://www.amazon.com/smoke-hood-es...ke+hood+escape

http://elmridgeprotection.com/

http://www.westernsafetystore.com/ase30.html - they note this is the replacement they carry for the EVAC-U8
Quote:
The ASE30 Fire Escape Hood is a substitute for the EVAC-U8 Smoke Hood which has been discontinued by its manufacturer, Brookdale International Systems. Testing revealed that the EVAC-U8 was not effective against Carbon Monoxide as claimed, causing the manufacturer to recall all of their smoke protective products.
I used to carry the EVAC-U8 (pre-911!) - still have 3 of them, unused (and expired, though I'm not especially worried about that).

ETA antacids, if you are subject to indigestion - my gosh, the airport stores charge a lot for those!
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell
I've been saying that for years ...

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Gregg Easterbrook’s “Law of Doomsaying”: Predict catastrophe no later than ten years hence but no sooner than five years away — soon enough to terrify people but distant enough that they will not remember that you were wrong.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Last edited by Librarian; 05-13-2019 at 11:10 PM..
Old 05-13-2019, 10:56 PM

Costco double black diamond down blanket
Gum for ear popping
Wet wipes
Survivalcards- you may lose them. But I’ve gotten through security every time with them in my wallet-
Travel first aid kit with basics esp. upset stomach meds and allergy meds
Old 05-13-2019, 11:55 PM

I've never had a problem getting lighters through security. Post-9/11, but pre-body scanners, I used to take a polymer/nylon folding knife that would go through metal detectors. Never tried it with a scanner. In addition to some of the other suggestions, I would add some 550 cord, something to be used as a signal mirror, a few chemlights, and half a pencil with 10 feet or so of duct tape wrapped on it. Aside from that, there are all kinds of little things that could come in handy. A few safety pins pinned to your bag, rubber bands, etc. The trick is to be creative in packing the most utility into the least space and still be able to get it on the plane with you. My focus has always been on personal survival and improvised weapons.
Old 05-14-2019, 7:29 AM

I'm all for prepping, but with this list, ya'll will have maxed out your carry on space before you start packing clothing, shoes, toiletries.

You need to strike a balance between the likelihood you'll need something and the cost of carrying it.

The ham radio seems excessive. Same with the signal mirror. In the unlikely event that the plane goes down, your ham radio and the signal mirror are not going to shorten rescue time. A cell phone camera makes an excellent magnifying glass. If you need to start a fire after an emergency landing, there are easier ways to do it. (Signal flares, for example.)

Nix the folding knife. It'll get confiscated the first time you run into a sharp TSA agent. (Yes, they exist.) Take a pair of folding scissors. It does most of what a knife can do. The stuff it can't? Well, you're not taking down a team of hijackers with any folding knife you're going to regularly get past security.

Finally, there's a company that makes a fleece only geeks and preppers would love. ScottE Vest. It has a ton of pockets. A fleece doesn't count as a carry on, if everything fits in the pockets. So, you can use that to carry all of your prepping stuff. Take it even if you're leaving LA for a trip to New Orleans in August (hey, it's cold on the plane!).

If you need stuff on the other end of the trip, ship it there and ship it back. (Or check it, as I assumed that this thread is about carry on only.)

Last edited by SamIAm; 05-14-2019 at 7:32 AM..
Old 05-14-2019, 8:38 AM

From a survival perspective, you should pay attention to how you dress for airline travel. The recent Russian airline disaster where the plane caught fire, illustrates the need to dress with fire in mind. You should wear 100% long sleeve cotton shirt and pants since cotton is very flame resistive. Nylon based fabrics including synthetic fleece are very flammable and should not be worn during flight.

Think about what it would be like to have to dash past flames to get to safety. That's why it not good to fly wearing short pants, sandals or synthetic fabrics.

Sturdy shoes should be worn too. No flip flops or sandals which might slow you down if you need to run. I know you mentioned wearing hiking boots so that's a good choice.

A small travel size hairspray canister is an excellent legal carry-on self defense spray that works in place of pepper spray which you can't bring into the cabin.

Lots of good ideas here so far.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIAm View Post
I'm all for prepping, but with this list, ya'll will have maxed out your carry on space before you start packing clothing, shoes, toiletries.

You need to strike a balance between the likelihood you'll need something and the cost of carrying it.

The ham radio seems excessive. Same with the signal mirror. In the unlikely event that the plane goes down, your ham radio and the signal mirror are not going to shorten rescue time. A cell phone camera makes an excellent magnifying glass. If you need to start a fire after an emergency landing, there are easier ways to do it. (Signal flares, for example.)

Nix the folding knife. It'll get confiscated the first time you run into a sharp TSA agent. (Yes, they exist.) Take a pair of folding scissors. It does most of what a knife can do. The stuff it can't? Well, you're not taking down a team of hijackers with any folding knife you're going to regularly get past security.

Finally, there's a company that makes a fleece only geeks and preppers would love. ScottE Vest. It has a ton of pockets. A fleece doesn't count as a carry on, if everything fits in the pockets. So, you can use that to carry all of your prepping stuff. Take it even if you're leaving LA for a trip to New Orleans in August (hey, it's cold on the plane!).

If you need stuff on the other end of the trip, ship it there and ship it back. (Or check it, as I assumed that this thread is about carry on only.)
I agree about the amount of stuff; my solution is simply to pack what I need for my trip first, and then fill the remaining space.

None of the stuff on here is really in case the plane crashes, more in case I need something while on the trip. The HAM radio is not for if the plane crashes on the way from LAX - Tulsa and I get stranded on a tropical island; but if I'm driving and need some local advice I can get it using the HAM radio. Also I like checking in on different repeaters while traveling.

I have seen the ScottE vest - seems like a lot of money for what it is. I wear cargo pants (yes cotton) and a long sleeve shirt and I'm able to fit everything I need.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:25 PM

My list now:

Wear -
comfortable hiking boots and (cotton) clothes that I could hike 10 miles a day in - long sleeve shirt & cargo pants.
Fischer Space pen military model
bic lighter
magnifying lens in wallet
quality watch
Gum

Pack -
Quality LED flashlight
Camel-back bladder with Sawyer mini (fill once through security)
Ham radio
Amazon Fire
Tablet with a library of "prepper" books/pamphlets & headphones
Vitamins & meds for twice the duration of my trip (+ asprin & Ibuprophin)
An emery board (for sharpening a credit card)
charging adapters (AC&DC), cable, and rechargeable battery pack
1/2 roll toilet paper in ziplock bag
travel pack of wet wipes
2 Kind bars
4 carabiners clipped to outside of bag
Old 05-15-2019, 3:30 PM

Emory board for sharpening credit card...

can’t you rub it on the sidewalk and achieve acceptable results?!
Old 05-20-2019, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maht_g View Post
Emory board for sharpening credit card...

can’t you rub it on the sidewalk and achieve acceptable results?!
Well, you probably could. To be honest that was more of a side benefit - Credit Cards are obviously very useful (for paying for things, if you get stranded and need to rent a car, or a last minute flight home, purchase cheeseburgers, etc.) and emery boards can be used to smooth rough nails to not only keep the nails short but also to prevent hang nails. Because of that they each have a spot in my bag for practical purposes, and they also can be used together to create a rudimentary expedient weapon.
Old 06-05-2019, 7:18 AM

Depending on where you are flying to- be aware that ham radios can be restricted.

A secure thumb drive with all of my important papers, photos, tax, titles, insurance https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-16GB...gateway&sr=8-4 would allow me quick access to restarting things in the event my house is not there when I return.

I also carry a quality pair of trauma shears in my carry on, travel pack. Never raises a eyebrow and allows be to open plastic packages, etc. when in locations I cannot carry a knife/sidearm.

Toothbrush/deodorant keep you feeling civilized when your traveling for days.

IMO 4 carabiners clipped to your pack may mark you for something you might not want to be viewed as. I keep a carabiner & S-biner in my pack, and try to be as incognito as possible, especially in foreign lands.
Old 06-05-2019, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chsk9 View Post
Depending on where you are flying to- be aware that ham radios can be restricted.

A secure thumb drive with all of my important papers, photos, tax, titles, insurance https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-16GB...gateway&sr=8-4 would allow me quick access to restarting things in the event my house is not there when I return.

I also carry a quality pair of trauma shears in my carry on, travel pack. Never raises a eyebrow and allows be to open plastic packages, etc. when in locations I cannot carry a knife/sidearm.

Toothbrush/deodorant keep you feeling civilized when your traveling for days.

IMO 4 carabiners clipped to your pack may mark you for something you might not want to be viewed as. I keep a carabiner & S-biner in my pack, and try to be as incognito as possible, especially in foreign lands.
I have not yet run into any problem with bringing my HAM radio. I usually bring a Baofeng that has the ability to listen to AM/FM/NOAA so I could say it is just a radio. I do use an antenna that is short enough to not draw attention.

I have a MicroSD card in my tablet that has all the information you listed (password protected).

Trauma sheers is a great suggestion I never thought of.

Toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, etc are part of my standard stuff along with my clothes.

I think carabiners make you look like a rock climber - not a survivalist. I'm not overly worried about getting "made" by a couple of carabiners.
Old 06-05-2019, 9:52 PM

I fly a lot. Ive been traveling with a fairly well stocked IFAK. Trauma shears and suture kits etc. In my carry on. I get flagged sometimes but I tell them I work in remote areas and they (TSA) have so far always been very interested and cool about it. The IFAK is in a Patagonia "cube" bag and appears very non tactical. Covers everything from a nose bleed to an arterial bleed and lots of other stuff too. Started doing this following my experience in the Thomas fire.

It seems to me that the x ray machines are using more sophisticated object detection software. They have keyed on some things recently that I think would be difficult for a person to pick out of the image on their own. Im being even more conservative with what I would put in my carry on. I've also purchased a separate backpack just for air travel so that no firearms stuff gets left in there. That's a real no no. Even an empty piece of brass.

Other than that...cliff bars, a water bottle, 2 extra pair socks, favorite hoodie, favorite beanie, and the most important item.......NOISE CANCELLING HEADPHONES!!!!! Seriously bro...save your life...swear to god man.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 06-06-2019, 7:56 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

My EDC is a clip knife in my right cargo pocket, last time I went through the arms over your head X-ray booth they flagged me and said I have something in my right cargo pocket, I wonder if the X-ray can see ghosts of items that have been in place but removed.

My pockets were empty, of course, and I went on my way after they did a manual check but thought is strange they hit on my empty cargo pocket.

Noise Cancelling Head phones not just for jet noise but for mothers that bring their screaming brats on the flying greyhound bus.
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez

Last edited by Californio; 06-06-2019 at 7:59 AM..
Old 06-06-2019, 5:53 PM

I used to use a fire and a nook tablet for survival manuals and books but found the run time to be pretty limited. I switched to an kindle and nook ereader because of the real long battery life.
Old 06-07-2019, 1:28 PM

I have found those scanners will "indicate" with a Long sleeve shirt with a tshirt under with thick screenprinting. THey are pretty sensitive. I guess that's good. I could easily see how the flap of the cargo pocket would "indicate" - that's about 5 layers of fabric in that spot.

I agree with the noise cancelling headphones - if there is a screaming child nearby (there is no other kind) I'm not sure I'd have the desire to survive without headphones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
My EDC is a clip knife in my right cargo pocket, last time I went through the arms over your head X-ray booth they flagged me and said I have something in my right cargo pocket, I wonder if the X-ray can see ghosts of items that have been in place but removed.

My pockets were empty, of course, and I went on my way after they did a manual check but thought is strange they hit on my empty cargo pocket.

Noise Cancelling Head phones not just for jet noise but for mothers that bring their screaming brats on the flying greyhound bus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORBERT View Post
I fly a lot. Ive been traveling with a fairly well stocked IFAK. Trauma shears and suture kits etc. In my carry on. I get flagged sometimes but I tell them I work in remote areas and they (TSA) have so far always been very interested and cool about it. The IFAK is in a Patagonia "cube" bag and appears very non tactical. Covers everything from a nose bleed to an arterial bleed and lots of other stuff too. Started doing this following my experience in the Thomas fire.

It seems to me that the x ray machines are using more sophisticated object detection software. They have keyed on some things recently that I think would be difficult for a person to pick out of the image on their own. Im being even more conservative with what I would put in my carry on. I've also purchased a separate backpack just for air travel so that no firearms stuff gets left in there. That's a real no no. Even an empty piece of brass.

Other than that...cliff bars, a water bottle, 2 extra pair socks, favorite hoodie, favorite beanie, and the most important item.......NOISE CANCELLING HEADPHONES!!!!! Seriously bro...save your life...swear to god man.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 06-07-2019, 3:36 PM
Veteran Member

I would add

yawara stick (Wood version)

Door stop. ( if you stay at inns or motels )

Battery bank
Old 06-11-2019, 8:22 PM

I am surprised nobody has said it yet, but the Leatherman tread was designed to be TSA compliant. And while I don’t fly often, mine has made it through TSA each time I’ve flown.
Old 06-11-2019, 9:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisDSA View Post
Door stop. ( if you stay at inns or motels )
I have an alarm wedge door stop for motels.
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell
I've been saying that for years ...

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Gregg Easterbrook’s “Law of Doomsaying”: Predict catastrophe no later than ten years hence but no sooner than five years away — soon enough to terrify people but distant enough that they will not remember that you were wrong.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.