Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Blades, Bows and Tools
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Blades, Bows and Tools Discussion of non-firearm weapons and camping/survival tools.

Old 08-27-2019, 7:54 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Buck 119 vs the 124

what makes the 124 almost 3x the cost of the 119?

I've never been a fan of the clip point blades. I like the 124 but the cost is crazy high.

MLC, First 3
Old 08-28-2019, 8:24 PM
Veteran Member

Close to 2x the steel in the 124 over the 119. Supply and demand is a factor too....a lot more 119s are sold compared to 124s.
Old 09-07-2019, 1:31 PM

The 119 has never been out of production. The 124 got re released a few years ago. The 124 has a lot more steel in it. I have a large fixed buck collection but only one 124. As much as I like the 119, and have about a dozen variations of it, I like the 124 better.
Old 09-07-2019, 10:49 PM
Calguns Addict

As I will repeatedly note, a good deal of the 'value' is going to be predicated on your intended use and personal preferences.

I've owned a couple of 119's. I know I still have one (maybe two)... someplace.

On the other hand, I've had a 124 since 1987 if I'm reading the date code correctly (which sounds about right) and I can tell you precisely where it is; not to mention how many years I carried it. It's similar to this one...

...though my sheath is no longer 'pristine' and the blade isn't quite as wide now after all the sharpening. (I can still get a razor edge on it.)

With that said, I believe my older 124 has 425M steel (though there appears to be some debate as to when they switched) and the new ones are made from 420HC. In theory, for some, the 425M was more corrosion resistant. I don't think there's a whole lot of difference... except... I think the 425M got a slightly better heat treat.

Are there 'better' blades out there for the price of the new 124's? Objectively, I'd probably have to say 'yes;' though some of that will depend on your intended use.

As compared to the 119, is the 124 a 'better' design? Depending on your intended use and personal preferences, but in an overall sense... absolutely.

The Buck 119 has a 'stick' tang and the 124 has a 'full' tang. This can be important for some people depending on their intended use. (From what I've heard, it can also be a determinant in which knife you'd be allowed to use in some courses.) Same with the extended clip point vs. the drop point; each has advantages, depending on your intended use.

Is the price difference (approx. $50 +/- vs. $150 - $200) worth it? Again, I'd have to provide a 'qualified' yes in that I'm not certain that in today's market, there aren't 'better' alternatives at such a price point; again, being somewhat dependent upon your intended use and, for that kind of money, your personal preferences.

Les Stroud has used a Buck 119 in one or two episodes of his Survivorman series. (You have to watch closely.) If you baton wood, the 124 has decided advantages over a 119. (I'm not a big fan or advocate of doing such.)

More 119's have been sold over the years than 124's; so, they have their use, fill a niche, and have their fans. Bear in mind that the 124 was discontinued for a number of years, though customer demand brought it back. So, the 124 also has its own following; though production numbers might suggest a noticeable difference in consumer demand.

Only you can truly answer whether the price difference is worth it to you.

Last edited by TrappedinCalifornia; 09-08-2019 at 4:08 AM..
Old 09-08-2019, 10:31 AM

It really depend on what you are using it for . It for want a fighting knife look a 119 is the ticket if you want a half meat cleaver the 124 is it . I prefer a butcher blade for camp and fir drips and pack duty I’m a 121 or 118 all day