Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters > Bay Area Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2017, 10:20 AM

Default Gunsmith needed to install a muzzle break on a rifle.

It seems the Bay Area is a wasteland for quality gunsmiths. Can anybody recommend a gunsmith that can install a muzzle break on a non-threaded .308 barrel? I want it done correctly, not some chop-shop tap and die setup. Anybody have any recommendations?
Old 08-10-2017, 10:34 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTiffer View Post
It seems the Bay Area is a wasteland for quality gunsmiths. Can anybody recommend a gunsmith that can install a muzzle break on a non-threaded .308 barrel? I want it done correctly, not some chop-shop tap and die setup. Anybody have any recommendations?
You need to find someone who is an FFL 07 and/or has paid the ITAR tax to do this work. Obama made it where the average gunsmith can no longer do this work without paying the extortion ITAR fee/tax.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:38 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

If at barrel send to randall arbarrels.com if bolt gun then must go to ffl/gunsmith
Old 08-10-2017, 1:59 PM

Yeah, its a bolt action Remington 700. Some of these laws are just ridiculous.
Old 08-19-2017, 10:58 PM

Like this one I installed? I sent you a PM. The break in the photo is threaded onto the barrel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170623_115124.jpg (77.8 KB, 354 views)

Last edited by TheGood; 08-23-2017 at 10:04 PM..
Old 08-19-2017, 11:01 PM
Veteran Member

Where ever you end up taking it to, don't get Chazzed...
Civil War 2.0 - If it comes to pass, the America-hating Leftists will have brought it upon themselves. I value Freedom more than their sorry lives and the form of Governance they espouse, which offers no Freedom and complete servitude to the State.
Quote:
"We have four boxes with which to defend our Freedoms: the Soap box, the Ballot box, the Jury box, and the Cartridge box" - Ed Howdershelt
Old 08-19-2017, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperxz View Post
You need to find someone who is an FFL 07 and/or has paid the ITAR tax to do this work. Obama made it where the average gunsmith can no longer do this work without paying the extortion ITAR fee/tax.
Installation of a part is not manufacturing.
Old 08-22-2017, 1:47 PM

http://www.spartanrifles.com/
Old 08-23-2017, 9:33 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGood View Post
Installation of a part is not manufacturing.
Since the barrel must be threaded, per the OP, it actually is a part of manufacturing. An FFL01 could pay the itar tax but mostly 07's are doing that due to cost.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:00 AM

Marc at Spartan (link above) has a solid reputation. He can do the work you need.

See also a review of some of his builds for a group buy from a while back for NCPPRC at Sniper's Hide -- https://forum.snipershide.com/forum/...prc-club-build
Old 08-23-2017, 9:38 PM

MODIFYING an existing, customer owned weapon to meet their needs is NOT, I repeat, NOT manufacturing. PLEASE read the following description/examples of what a Gunsmith can do, and what would be considered Manufacturing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATF NFA HANDBOOK
7.2.3 What is the difference between manufacturing and gunsmithing? Performing the work of a gunsmith requires a dealer’s license under the GCA, not a manufacturer’s license. Nevertheless, a license as an importer or manufacturer also entitles the licensee to conduct business as a gunsmith. The term “dealer” under the GCA includes a gunsmith, that is, “any person engaged in the business of repairing firearms or fitting special barrels, stocks, or trigger mechanisms to firearms.” However, gunsmiths occasionally perform the work of a manufacturer and do so without the required manufacturer’s license. Indeed, there is no distinction between the activities of a gunsmith and a manufacturer in terms of the physical things done to a firearm. What distinguishes gunsmithing from manufacturing is the purpose for which the work is done. If a gunsmith performs work on a customer’s personal gun for the customer’s personal use, the function is lawfully performed pursuant to the gunsmith’s license as a dealer under the GCA. However, if the gunsmith performs work on guns as a step in the process of preparing them for subsequent sale, the work is “manufacturing” requiring a manufacturer’s license and, if the firearm is an NFA firearm, a special tax stamp under the NFA. Here are some examples:
(1) John Doe has a personal firearm and takes it to a gunsmith, a licensed dealer, for modification. The work performed in this instance is the legitimate work of a gunsmith and may be performed pursuant to the gunsmith’s dealer’s license. The gunsmith need not be licensed as a manufacturer, or hold a special tax stamp in the case of an NFA firearm, to perform the work.
(2) Company A is a licensed manufacturer, but contracts with other licensees to perform finishing work on NFA firearms it manufactures. One such contractor is a gunsmith, a licensed dealer. After receiving the finished firearms, Company A offers the firearms for sale. In this instance, the gunsmith, as well as Company A, is engaged in business as an NFA firearms manufacturer and needs a manufacturer’s license and special tax stamp to do so.

Last edited by TheGood; 08-23-2017 at 9:57 PM..
Old 08-24-2017, 7:16 PM

I hear there is a gut of super-high tech CNC machine shops in the Bay Area that can do all sorts of super fancy stuff at the push of a button.

All sorts of crazy rocket science type stuff like taking into account how much the metal heats up at the exact point of cut so they know where to cut so when it cools it will be in the exact right spot. Like leading a target, but diff.

I'd think cutting a thread on a big dumb piece of steel, with lots of temp change slop built in, would be child's play and their worst work would still be 10X better than what you need.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn9YdML8PPw
Old 08-24-2017, 8:57 PM

Well then no wonder there are so few gunsmiths in the Bay Area and everyone bemoans the fact that there are so few of us with the skills to fix their guns. I guess we just can't compete with the big CNC shops with all of their fancy equipment on the jobs where an FFL's logbook isn't required. GL finding a shop to work on your barrel without taking it off the receiver yourself.
Old 08-24-2017, 9:17 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartHog View Post
Where ever you end up taking it to, don't get Chazzed...
Seriously. Don't let anyone Chaz your barrel. Make sure you find someone who actually knows what they're doing.

Old 08-24-2017, 9:33 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Ken Breda (kendog4570) did my tikka t3x 308. He's not in bay area, but you can mail it to him.
Old 08-24-2017, 9:36 PM
Git-R-Done
CGN Contributor

I was told by the guys at Brentwood Rifle & Pistol that their main shop in Tracy
(TR&P) has an in-house gunsmith that will do that. Not sure the rates though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassCase View Post
I only buy fireworks from Three Finger Willie over at One Eyed Jack's Fireworks.
iTrader

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1884858
Old 08-24-2017, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Like this one I installed? I sent you a PM. The break in the photo is threaded onto the barrel.
Damn. You can't even see the seam.
Old 08-24-2017, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmrevolver View Post
Damn. You can't even see the seam.
That was before it was polished and blued. It's polished blued now and you can't see the seam except for the slight difference in the bluing color. Thank you for noticing that the seam is not visible.

This was just after it came out of the bluing tank. It still had gun oil on it to displace the water out of the pores.

Jazzed is the operative word (my own rifle, this one's NFS, but I'm happy to do this job for others).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170623_171302.jpg (55.1 KB, 306 views)

Last edited by TheGood; 08-24-2017 at 10:06 PM..
Old 08-24-2017, 11:40 PM
Still in The Game
CGN Contributor

Just be safe. Just send it to Randall. Don't cheap out.
Old 08-25-2017, 5:28 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazedandConfuzed View Post
The thread should end here.
If you go somewhere else, it's your fault what happens to your rifle.
Old 10-25-2017, 2:42 PM

I went with Spartan Rifles. Met with Mark today. Very cool guy, chatted for about 30 minutes and cant wait for him to work on my rifle. If anyone hasn't checked out their website or their Instagram, they should. They're building some bad-*** custom rifles right here in the heart of the Bay Area. Thanks for taking the time to post guys.
Old 10-25-2017, 9:31 PM

Whats his turn aroumd time for the brake install? Looking to have one installed and been checking out his site too
Old 11-09-2017, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target Plinker View Post
Whats his turn aroumd time for the brake install? Looking to have one installed and been checking out his site too
I told him I wasn't in a rush so I'm not expecting it very soon. Its been two weeks so far. He said probably three weeks. Ill post when I get it back and put up some pictures.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:22 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
MODIFYING an existing, customer owned weapon to meet their needs is NOT, I repeat, NOT manufacturing. PLEASE read the following description/examples of what a Gunsmith can do, and what would be considered Manufacturing.
Umm, it’s not an ATF thing, it’s a State Dept. thing involving ITAR. You have no idea what you’re talking about. Gunsmiths can do if they pay the couple thousand dollar ITAR tax. Otherwise you get fined. Many gun stores wouldn’t do enough of this work to recoup the fees paid.