Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 12-31-2013, 9:20 AM
Gun Runner to The Stars
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindwip View Post
Grizzlyguy. I never knew that about the ham. I know some ham guys can send data over ham but did not know it was wifi compatible.

Njineermike.
Dont worry, I learned something new too.
Most of our data comms actually aren't wi-fi compatible. You simply connect a computer's sound card to the mic input and headphone output of a standard HF or VHF/UHF radio. Software on the computer creates audio tones that encode the data, using whatever the encoding method is for the data mode you choose to use. There are literally dozens of different data modes in use. The most popular are RTTY (good ole teletype) and PSK31. Data rates are much-much less than WiFi of course, since you are sending all the data through a (typically) 2.4 kHz wide audio channel. On the other hand, distances can easily be much farther (e.g., around the world) since you are bouncing the signals off the ionosphere, moon, meteor trails or whatever.

Back on topic, here is an article that was in QST magazine a few months ago about some hams who set up a WiFi network out in the desert so that they could transmit live video from a race's finish line back to the start line. Their longest link was 9 miles, and they made that distance using just 80 mW (0.08W). Imagine how far they could have gone with 1500W (18,750 times = 43 dB more power).

Their network would also support people communicating from the start area to the finish area using this app on their cellphones. The cellphones would connect to one or the other access point, and the hams' "hinternet" would handle the long haul between them.

Last edited by GrizzlyGuy; 12-31-2013 at 9:22 AM..
Old 12-31-2013, 9:38 PM
Banned

Back in my Photog/camping days when I lived in my Diesel truck I used big DB Yagis to make my cell phone talk 70+ miles to a tower down by the freeway. I also used a sat dish to make a wifi work near 40 miles. I was running boosters on both.
Old 12-31-2013, 9:53 PM

Good wardiving skills there.
Old 12-31-2013, 9:53 PM

Wardriving*
Old 01-14-2014, 8:43 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

So Grizzly Guy, how would this app be superior to say Echolink?
Old 01-15-2014, 4:42 PM
Gun Runner to The Stars
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidR310 View Post
So Grizzly Guy, how would this app be superior to say Echolink?
I don't think either are better than the other, they are just different.

This app doesn't require a ham license, so that's nice if you don't have one (and are sticking to normal WiFi frequencies and power ranges vs. the ham bands and higher power). The WiFi based communications would also be less susceptible to intercept and eavesdropping, especially if you are just running a LAN. If you are just trying to provide communications for a local group, the app costs less than buying everyone ham radios.

On the other hand, ham radio and Echolink would let you talk to lots more people at greater ranges.

Old 01-15-2014, 9:45 PM

If I understand this correctly. With Solar or other chargers to keep the phones powered. Your group can communicate with each other for a few hundred feet with out infrastructure using the app and even further with the units in between acting as repeaters or mini-towers.

If there is some infrastructure around or other app users between you and the person you are calling you can connect at longer ranges.

Looks like a good thing to load on some old android phones you want to use for a BOB and you can call your destination when you get close.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:01 PM

If you want to communicate with neighbors why not just use radios? If power is out... How would anyone communicate through wifi?
Old 01-27-2014, 3:54 AM

Great read, time to put it to work, thanks!
After watching WTC Bldg #7 being razed, and considering it's main occupants..

I stumbled onto this note while checking advanced weapons..
"911 = false flag. WTC 7 was brought down by demolition. 47 floors came down in 6 1/2 seconds - not hit by a plane. Just one of hundreds of absurdities that occurred that day. Wake up".