Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 02-24-2016, 1:31 PM

Default 07/02 FFL CA Do's and don'ts

I have been looking at getting my Type 07 FFL with SOT. I know with the above I can own, possess, and manufacture suppressorsin CA. In other states I would be able to manufacture SBRs and MGs (among others but thats the extent of my interests).

Can any 07/02s point me in the direction of PCs governing this for Kommiefornia? As I understand it, I would still need an AW permit so I would think all the others are on the no no lists.

Thank you in advance.
Old 02-24-2016, 1:36 PM
Senior Member Xtraordinar
CGN Contributor

To manufacture suppressors you need a 09FFL for destructive devices.

Regardless of what NFA item you plan to manufacture, sell or possess in CA, you will also need the appropriate Dangerous Weapons Permit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NRA Certified Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/PPIH/PPOH Instructor | NRA Certified RSO | NRA Life Member | GSSF Life Time Member | Surefire Low Light Instructor | Glock Certified Armorer | Utah CCW Instructor | Nevada CCW Instructor
Old 02-24-2016, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDoc View Post
In other states I would be able to manufacture SBRs and MGs (among others but thats the extent of my interests).
MG's on the federal level will require a demo letter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFence View Post
Not true, An 07/02 can do this. Others can as well in small numbers as long as they pay the tax stamp. The whole point of the SOT is to be tax exempt.

Quote:
Regardless of what NFA item you plan to manufacture, sell or possess in CA, you will also need the appropriate Dangerous Weapons Permit.
Some NFA items do not reguire any CA DOJ permits.
Suppressors and Some AOW's
Others do.
SBS's/SBR's will require the CA DOJ SBR/SBS permit.
Machine Guns will require a CA DOJ MG permit. There is one to transport and posses and another just to sell.
To cover your bases you would also wasnt to get the DOJ AW/50BMG permit.
Old 02-24-2016, 1:59 PM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
incorrect.

07FFL can manufacture suppressors, no need for an 09.

Quote:

wrong again. there is no need for an 07/02 to get a DW permit to manufacture suppressors, there isn't even a DW permit for suppressors.

and an 07/02 can manufacture AOWs without a DW permit because they are exempt from CA SBS/SBR regulations as an AOW.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 02-24-2016, 2:05 PM

This is some good info. Thank you, gentlemen. I dont want to give up on this state just yet and I understand this a long and expensive road.

Bonecutter, I was under the impression that as a 07/02 I could manufacture my own post samples but would need the letter to purchase from others. I will have to go back and read that.

Does anyone actually know an FFL holder with all these permits?
Old 02-24-2016, 2:09 PM

Quote:

Bonecutter, I was under the impression that as a 07/02 I could manufacture my own post samples but would need the letter to purchase from others. I will have to go back and read that.
federally, YES.
CA, still need to have a DW permit for MGs.

Quote:
Does anyone actually know an FFL holder with all these permits?
know an 07/02 but he can't get the DW permits.

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 02-24-2016, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post

know an 07/02 but he can't get the DW permits.
Figured. Unless the clients are hollywood or large police depts, it will be next to impossible.
Old 02-24-2016, 3:08 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
incorrect.

07FFL can manufacture suppressors, no need for an 09.

wrong again. there is no need for an 07/02 to get a DW permit to manufacture suppressors, there isn't even a DW permit for suppressors.

and an 07/02 can manufacture AOWs without a DW permit because they are exempt from CA SBS/SBR regulations as an AOW.

Really? There's no DW permit for suppressors aka destructive devices in CA? Since when? Check the 3rd box down that has a option for a DW permit for destructive devices.
http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/ag...FD030DWapp.pdf

And I was wrong. A 09 is a dealer for destructive devices not a manufacturer. A type 10 is a manufacturer of destructive devices.

A type 07 FFL has the ATF description "Manufacturer of Firearms Other Than Destructive Devices" So how can a 07 manufacture a suppressor aka destructive device?

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/fo...31012/download

NRA Certified Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/PPIH/PPOH Instructor | NRA Certified RSO | NRA Life Member | GSSF Life Time Member | Surefire Low Light Instructor | Glock Certified Armorer | Utah CCW Instructor | Nevada CCW Instructor
Old 02-24-2016, 3:12 PM

a suppressor is not a destructive device under either CA or federal law, so you don't need to be a 10 to make them and you do not need a CA DD DW permit either.

Old 02-24-2016, 3:12 PM
retired Goon

Umm...
Noise suppressors/silencers are not destructive devices.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 02-24-2016, 3:18 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
a suppressor is not a destructive device under either CA or federal law, so you don't need to be a 10 to make them and you do not need a CA DD DW permit either.

Well I stand corrected.

They field agent I spoke to had told me that a suppressor falls under a destructive device. (Both ATF and CADOJ)

Glad I got this cleared up!

Old 02-24-2016, 8:13 PM

Quote:

Not necessarily. With an 07/02 in a normal state you could buy post samples without a demo letter from other 07/02 FFLs that are giving up their license. I have a AR DIAS in processing now that I grabbed from another FFL for $150. It's just easier to buy sometimes than make or I can buy one and then use it as a guide to make others. I've had a Glock 80% sitting in my desk for 2 years now I have not had time to finish. I should have just bought a complete one instead.

You can also have another 07/02 build post samples for you under a variance authorization from the ATF. There are a few companies that promote variance work.

Private 10 acre range rentals
[/URL]