Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 08-25-2011, 1:41 PM

Default Developing pistol loads

I reload for 9mm and 38 super right now and was wondering if loads developed the same for pistols and rifles? Or does it not matter so much for pistols due to the short barrel length and effective range? If you do develope pistol loads specific to your gun can you enlighten me on how it's done? Thank you.
Old 08-25-2011, 1:44 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Play with different powder charges and OAL. See what your gun likes on paper.
Old 08-25-2011, 2:15 PM

Since I use my guns in competition, a chronograph is essential.
Old 08-25-2011, 3:37 PM

I make 100 rnds at five different powder levels. 10 through chronograph, 10 at target. Chrono gives hard data, target gives hard and suggestive data. I pick the one that hits bullseye best and "feels" best.

You don't have to make that many, but many casings and bullets, as well as all primers come in packages of 100...and I like reloading!
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Earl Jones
The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.
Old 08-25-2011, 7:29 PM

1. Establish a seating depth. The longer the better in my opinion and it's dictated obviously by reliable feeding out of the magazine (if that applies.

2. From there, play with the powder charge. Depending on my familiarity or if others have recommended load data (reliable sources) in the same pistol and similar components.

3. I'll usually start like 10-20% below their load (or at a minimum load if I don't have reference data) and work my way up in like .5 grain increments. It's a pistol and inanely going up and checking .1-.2 grain increments is a HUGE waste of time in my opinion. .3 grains would be the minimum I'd ever make a powder adjustment for as....it's a pistol and >90% of the time I'd argue that it's pointless.

Rich

"Pressure is what you feel when you don't know what you're doing." - Chuck Knox

"The callus on my finger is from my trigger, not the keyboard!" - Rob Leatham
Old 08-25-2011, 8:30 PM

A chrono might be nice to have, but unless you have to meet a specific power factor, you don't need to know velocity to determine an accurate load. If you do need a specific power factor, accuracy is NOT your main concern.
I find it hard to picture setting up a chrono at any of the ranges I shoot at and don't think the other shooters would appreciate it (or, they would be bugging me to try it themselves).
Since I don't give a hoot about power factor, it really is not something I consider of any major use. The target tells the tale I am interested in.
In general, it is just a matter of trying every powder combination and bullet weight and style you care to in order to determine what works best in your gun.
Many people are just happy to get a 3" group at 25 yards and then spend their time practicing until they can get that 3" off-hand.
Working up a load is dependent on what you want from the load.
I just enjoy trying every combination I can.
It is the part of reloading and shooting that I enjoy. When my children or friends are going shooting, I load up a bunch of a known good load for them.
Old 08-25-2011, 9:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Depends on the shooter, too. I'm a shooter such that light or heavy, the rounds I've made (literally factory min to factory max in 1.0 grain intervals) makes NO difference in group sizes. And I don't think for one second it is because of inadequacies in the reloader or the gun.

That's a fun little tidbit to keep in the back of my mind... =\