Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 06-10-2014, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member

^^^ Unless you're an 11 series you don't get a CIB though. My unit, and I saw direct combat and engaged the enemy. I was in a Cav unit, and the only ones that got CIB's were 11 Charlies even though we were in the same fights together. This was pre CAB, so the only thing I was authorized to wear was a combat patch which everyone in theatre got. The CAB has fixed that though I guess...

Last edited by 1CavScout; 06-10-2014 at 12:38 PM..
Old 06-10-2014, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member

double post

Last edited by 1CavScout; 06-10-2014 at 12:38 PM..
Old 06-10-2014, 12:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Default "You're only a veteran if you served in combat!"

You don't have to get a CIB to be a combat vet either
I saw and engaged directly
But did not get a CIB, cab wasn't even thought of yet
1cav, sounds like you did about the same as me, especially considering your handle, I'm 96R myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Tripper; 06-10-2014 at 12:40 PM..
Old 06-10-2014, 12:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1CavScout View Post
^^^ Unless you're an 11 series you don't get a CIB though. My unit, and I saw direct combat and engaged the enemy. I was in a Cav unit, and the only ones that got CIB's were 11 Charlies even though we were in the same fights together. This was pre CAB, so the only thing I was authorized to wear was a combat patch which everyone in theatre got. The CAB has fixed that though I guess...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripper View Post
You don't have to get a CIB to be a combat vet either
I saw and engaged directly
But did not get a CIB, cab wasn't even thought of yet
1cav, sounds like you did about the same as me, especially considering your handle, I'm 96R myself

Sorry fellas I should have made it clear. I wasn't saying without a CIB you are not a combat vet, I was just using it as an example.

I know it can vary from unit to unit with how "easy" it is to get a CAB, but I used the CIB example because the requirements for that are very cut and dry. We had a ****bag 11b run the company's training room (like all line companies do) and at the company FOB they took IDF many times. He never went outside the wire or was attacked at the FOB beyond harassing fire. He wanted a CIB but never got it. I saw guys in my battalion be awarded CABs for a random mortar round. Even the guys and girls who drove convoys to resupply us were hit several times and they complained about others being awarded CABs so easily.

GENERALLY, one must be engaged and return fire to earn a combat badge of some sort. I always considered my platoon FO and medic infantry, even though they aren't authorized to wear a CIB. I've always thought line FOs should have a special badge just as medics do.

Like I said, I'm not saying you can't be a combat vet if you weren't infantry, sorry for the confusion.
Old 06-10-2014, 1:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Default "You're only a veteran if you served in combat!"

Medics do get a combat medic badge, which is cool
My MOS was always attached to infantry, but not being 11b we never would qualify for CIB

Last edited by Tripper; 06-10-2014 at 2:33 PM..
Old 06-10-2014, 2:57 PM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

So, if I have watched live HD (mustard agent) filled 4.2" mortor round bounce across the floor of a vapor containment room, how is that different from being a "combat veteran"?

I spent a year (volunteered) on Johnston Island wearing butyl rubber level A & Level B in support of JACADS operations and leaking munitions operations. I've been in a GB contaminated bunker with a recorded vapor concentration of 1902 times the.lethal dose. I've been through a chemical decontamination line because I was contaminated, not some training exercise.

I consider the above to be a lot more dangerous than getting called up in support of Desert Storm 1, yet, it doesn't count the same on record.

There are lots of vets out there thag did some really dangerous jobs outside of war zones & times. I owe every single vet from 4/19/1775 up to today a huge debt that I can never repay. All I could do is volunteer a few years if my life, and forever hold the memories of their sacrifices in my highest regard.

Just my $0.02, YMMV

Old 06-10-2014, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choprzrul View Post
So, if I have watched live HD (mustard agent) filled 4.2" mortor round bounce across the floor of a vapor containment room, how is that different from being a "combat veteran"?

I spent a year (volunteered) on Johnston Island wearing butyl rubber level A & Level B in support of JACADS operations and leaking munitions operations. I've been in a GB contaminated bunker with a recorded vapor concentration of 1902 times the.lethal dose. I've been through a chemical decontamination line because I was contaminated, not some training exercise.

I consider the above to be a lot more dangerous than getting called up in support of Desert Storm 1, yet, it doesn't count the same on record.

There are lots of vets out there thag did some really dangerous jobs outside of war zones & times. I owe every single vet from 4/19/1775 up to today a huge debt that I can never repay. All I could do is volunteer a few years if my life, and forever hold the memories of their sacrifices in my highest regard.

Just my $0.02, YMMV

First off, no disrespect in anyway -- I'm assuming you're a Vet and this is just some friendly military banter -- but you honestly rate that motor round bounce in the States in the same league as door busting in Fallujah & combat patrols in Hemland? You're surely pulling our legs here, bro…right?

www.chrismandia.com

staff writer for www.guns.com
Old 06-10-2014, 3:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_m90731 View Post
First off, no disrespect in anyway -- I'm assuming you're a Vet and this is just some friendly military banter -- but you honestly rate that motor round bounce in the States in the same league as door busting in Fallujah & combat patrols in Hemland? You're surely pulling our legs here, bro…right?
This. That's a joke right?

By your argument, a married man living off post is a combat vet because he has a risk of getting into an accident commuting to work every day. That can't be serious.

Catch a group of infantrymen coming back from a 13 month deployment to northeastern Astan (there's probably more here besides myself who had that same deployment) and tell them you were in a lot more danger than them.
Old 06-10-2014, 4:00 PM
Calguns Addict

My thought is if I'm side by side with those 13 infantry guys, through every door busting and firefight, my MOS designation should not disqualify me from a CIB
I'm not sure level of danger plays a part in whether your designated as combat vet or not

Old 06-10-2014, 5:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Medics do get a combat medic badge, which is cool
My MOS was always attached to infantry, but not being 11b we never would qualify for CIB

Quote:
My thought is if I'm side by side with those 13 infantry guys, through every door busting and firefight, my MOS designation should not disqualify me from a CIB
I'm not sure level of danger plays a part in whether your designated as combat vet or not

What's your MOS? Assuming FO since only medics and FOs are always attached to them. If that's the case then you already know I think FOs should be awarded CIBs.

OR (and this would be cooler in my opinion) they get their own badge indicating they called for fire in combat, like the medics' Combat Medic Badge.
Old 06-10-2014, 6:02 PM

Not to sound like a dick either, but munitions cleanup while in the States is a little different than being on patrol looking for insurgents aiming to do bodily harm to you or your brothers / sisters. There's a level of unpredictability that comes with engaging the enemy.

Not saying you don't have balls volunteering to clean up old chemical munitions, its just not combat. Hell, pretty sure the kids joining now going into the applicable MOS/AFSC walk into chambers with live chemicals as a confidence builder before they even reach their first duty station. Some of the really old timers have the mustard dots from being exposed as part of training before it was decontaminated.

But back to the topic, while we are all veterans and have made sacrifices, some should hold the distinction of being a true combat veteran. Putting OIF and OEF ribbon decals on your truck because you were on a MOB in Iraqistan doesn't make you a combat vet. I work on an AFB and see these decals on vehicles and to be honest, I don't believe the majority of them have ever fired a weapon in anger. I hate to sound like I'm calling people fakes, but the majority of my branch never sees combat.
Old 06-10-2014, 6:29 PM

My Dad VOLUNTEERED in the Army Air corps and trained in B-17/24's & 29's as a tailgunner during the Second world war.

75% of the guys he went to school with never came home.

He was stationed in Puerto Rico on his way to Europe and the week before he was scheduled to deploy there the bomb(s) were dropped and the war ended.

Since he never saw combat, does that make him "not a veteran"?

He survived cancer last year (thanks to the Doctors at the VA),& will turn 88 next month. He is a Veteran to me, & I am proud of my father.
Old 06-10-2014, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWHuey View Post
My Dad VOLUNTEERED in the Army Air corps and trained in B-17/24's & 29's as a tailgunner during the Second world war.

75% of the guys he went to school with never came home.

He was stationed in Puerto Rico on his way to Europe and the week before he was scheduled to deploy there the bomb(s) were dropped and the war ended.

Since he never saw combat, does that make him "not a veteran"?

He survived cancer last year (thanks to the Doctors at the VA),& will turn 88 next month. He is a Veteran to me, & I am proud of my father.
I don't think anyone was disputing the fact that your father was a veteran. In fact, i have a lot of respect for those who volunteered during WWII through Vietnam. It was a different time and honestly, even though I joined post 9/11... I dont think i would have had the sack to volunteer for vietnam. I usually volunteer for the North Bay Stand Downs when my schedule permits because I honestly feel that they deserve better than they got.

While I don't necessarily look down upon people who haven't seen combat.. I just feel like I can relate to those who have a bit better.
Old 06-10-2014, 7:49 PM
Calguns Addict

I don't think anyone is disputing
I think there are simply varying opinions of what 'should' qualify as 'combat vet'

Old 06-10-2014, 8:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
I don't think anyone is disputing
I think there are simply varying opinions of what 'should' qualify as 'combat vet'

Agreed. Besides the idiot the OP mentioned no one is debating what makes one a veteran.

The difference lies in being a combat vet.
Old 06-10-2014, 8:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkwayDrive View Post
Agreed. Besides the idiot the OP mentioned no one is debating what makes one a veteran.

The difference lies in being a combat vet.
And other people are comparing great risk of life in doing other activities directly related to the art of war, which are far more dangerous than situations in which some have earned badges. It's all very arbitrary and the lines drawn will never please everyone.
I'd go to the grocery store with polymer, and I'd go to war with steel.
Old 06-10-2014, 8:17 PM
Calguns Addict

Some of the bravest person I ever met were medics/corpsman. They rarely or some never used their firearm, but they are always rushing out there to grab fallen Marines or fellow service members.
Old 06-10-2014, 8:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoJackUSMC View Post
Some of the bravest person I ever met were medics/corpsman. They rarely or some never used their firearm, but they are always rushing out there to grab fallen Marines or fellow service members.

Yep

Old 06-12-2014, 7:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoJackUSMC View Post
+1!

"Every man dies, not every man really lives!"

Old 06-25-2014, 3:44 PM

Who really cares?! Be proud of what you are and not what others think of you!

RIP SGT Carlo "Eugie" Eugenio

KIA 29 OCT 2011 Camp Phoenix, Kabul, AFG
Old 06-25-2014, 5:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Yup, be proud.
Old 06-25-2014, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by segfault View Post
Reminds me of a scene in Band of Brothers where a guy picks on the reinforcements who joined after the Normandy drop. Another guy then tells him to shut it because he was injured or something and missed the jump himself.

The guy who said that probably didn't do much himself and is just boastful.
Just watched this with my son (we're done with episode 6). The guy who missed the jump caught artillery flack IN THE PLANE OVER NORMANDY. He stayed on the plane instead of jumping as it would be pretty foolish to jump wounded. Yeah he didn't do the first 20 days (the pre-D Day jump, and the 19 days that followed), but it's not like he chickened our or didn't go.

Anyone who trained and is prepared to serve is clearly a Vet in my book, active war(s) or not, state-side or not. My FiL was state-side during his service during Vietnam supporting the troops from here. He's every bit as much a Vet.

Thank you all who served or are serving.

Last edited by Jason95357; 06-25-2014 at 6:40 PM..
Old 06-25-2014, 7:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracer666 View Post
Who really cares?! Be proud of what you are and not what others think of you!

This! You know what you did.
Old 07-20-2014, 9:24 AM

I have served a total combined of 11 years active / reserve Navy. Been a Fleet Marine Force Corpsman the entire time. When I deployed, I got stuck on an "individual augmentee" deployment working with and for the 3rd Army.

We didn't take contact nor were we ever required to return fire. A few stressful "escalation of force" episodes and that was it. That being said, I do NOT consider myself a combat veteran per-se. I am an OEF/OIF vet which refers to the era and locations in which I served. If I rated a CAR (combat action ribbon) I obviously would be having a different dialogue.

Aside from my time with the Army, I've always been attached to 03' Marines. Even earned my FMF warfare badge and such. Fact remains, I don't rate a CAR, therefore I am not (by definition) a combat vet. I make that distinction VERY clear. Despite having encountered dangerous, unhealthy, unfriendly circumstances... I'm not a combat vet. Just a very proud veteran who has been afforded the honor and privilege to serve along side Infantry Marines.
Old 07-21-2014, 4:11 PM

Default 'Merica

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMFdevildoc View Post
Aside from my time with the Army, I've always been attached to 03' Marines. Even earned my FMF warfare badge and such. Fact remains, I don't rate a CAR, therefore I am not (by definition) a combat vet. I make that distinction VERY clear. Despite having encountered dangerous, unhealthy, unfriendly circumstances... I'm not a combat vet. Just a very proud veteran who has been afforded the honor and privilege to serve along side Infantry Marines.
Hell Yea doc, I consider you more of a combat vet than some POG who hits a 20 Litre jug in his MRAP and gets a CAR, or some Logistics F*ck who takes pop shots once or twice and gets one.

Aside from all that, be proud of what you've done, absolutely. Don't embellish or lie, there's no reason to.

However, be it known that if you claim "Combat Vet" status and you were turning wrenches or filing papers in TQ, Asad, Leatherneck, or Bagram, you should feel wrong, and I know those I mentioned do. Going to a war zone does not make you a combat veteran, and I run into OIF and OEF dudes all the time with their old timer trucker hats "COMBAT VETERAN" and they were the commandant of camp f*ckin cupcake or career planners doing reenlistments on Bagram.

I hate to go on a tyrade. I'm not quick to look down on support jobs and I always treat my dudes awesome and with respect. However, theres something despicable about someone who runs around and collects 'attaboys from the public, pawning themselves off as someone who was in danger when they weren't. This sh*t has always bothered me and I've seen quite a bit of it.

If you're a veteran, I appreciate what you've done in service to the nation. That goes for all jobs. If you claim Combat Vet status because you drank starbucks on TQ, or went to Friday Salsa dancing at the restaurants in Bastion, then f*ck you.

Theres my .03 Cents

Last edited by HelmandHunter; 07-21-2014 at 4:13 PM.. Reason: Why wont this goddamn thing let me swear
Old 07-28-2014, 7:35 PM
Veteran Member

^^^^^yup. If you served your a vet. I don't count dishonorable or similar because you don't even rate to keep your old uniforms at that point. however I agree with the above about "combat vets". I also don't count a rocket or mortar attack on the base you are staying at or an ied as "combat". but I guess that justifies purple hearts. yes I am biased when it comes to "combat " veterans. to me combat is exchanging lead with an actual person with or without getting rockteted, mortared, rpg'ed, etc.
Old 08-28-2014, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyj09 View Post
"If you're in the military, you deserve to go to Iraq and die. You signed up so you could murder and rape women and children all day, so you deserve it if you die."
Sorry to say but none these vets can't be accused of this.
We are the only ones who were publicly proclaimed woman rapers and baby killers.
Viet Nam Era Veteran.
Old 08-29-2014, 5:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyj09 View Post
If you think that's bad, check out what a classmate of mine said in my English class at a northern California university a few semesters ago (I wasn't in the classroom for this, but my girlfriend was).

This scumbag said something along the lines of, "If you're in the military, you deserve to go to Iraq and die. You signed up so you could murder and rape women and children all day, so you deserve it if you die."

I'll tell you right now, I would have broke that little scumbags jaw if I were there. At the time, my brother was stationed in Iraq, but even if he wasn't, I would have been just as pissed off.

I swear I think college students are some of the most ignorant, unintelligent people on earth.
Set my jimmies to max rustle! #necrorape
Old 01-22-2015, 11:31 PM

I haven't been fortunate enough to meet a douche bag that poses such a stupid question. I do agree with those of you who say there is a difference between a military vet and a combat vet. However, in my eyes if you served in any branch and was honorably discharged then we are Brothers in arms. I would have given my life for you because that is what it's all about. The person on your left and right. I did not see combat, but I was part of GWOT/OEF and supported OIF. My ship USS Abraham Lincoln was responsible for the beginning phase and 1/3 of Operation Shock and Awe and dropped over 1.5 million pounds of ordnance on Iraq. There was not one of us in our shop that wanted to be there. We wanted to be with our brothers on the ground.

USN 2000-2004
USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN-72) WestPac 2002
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
Old 01-23-2015, 1:36 PM

Ok. I enlisted in 1974, served on active duty till 1996, working on Microwave Electronics in the USAF. I was diagnosed with Cancer during my retirement physical. Two years of Chemo and radiation therapy, and go into remission. Six years later, heart attack (three blockages). Stents and cardio rehab, and back to work. Four years ago, a different Cancer, stage four. Normally therapy didn't work, ended up in clinical trials, still under treatment. I currently work as a "Defense Contractor." VA classifies me as a 100% Service Connected Disabled Veteran. On active duty, I served in support of Vietnam, Desert Shield/Storm. As a Contractor, in support of Bosnia, Somalia, Iraq and Afghanistan.

Question: Would you call me a Veteran?

I know my answer, and it really doesn't need any validation from someone who $h@t in their pants the first time they were shot at, or played some video game and they think they know what combat is all about.

I have respect for each and everyone that has served, or is serving in the US military (which includes the Coast Guard), or as a first responder in the United States. To me, we are all brothers and sister, to whom I will risk my life for. And to these brothers and sister, I am proud to know you, work with you, and hope to be here when you come safely home. God Bless the US of A.

Scarney out!

Last edited by scarry scarney; 01-23-2015 at 1:47 PM..
Old 01-23-2015, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicki View Post
The older I get, the more I like the idea of dividing our country into two groups, civilians and citizens.

To become a citizen, you have to serve honorably in the military and for your service you get the right to vote, run for public office and/or recieve government granted benefits.

If one chooses to stay a civilian, you get no right to vote, you can't serve in public office and in my view, shouldn't get any government benefits that you did not contribute for.

Citizens have rights because they have earned them by putting their lives on the line to protect the country.

Civilians have limited privileges since they risked nothing.

I don't talk much about my military service since I lucked out and served in a time when we weren't involved in any wars.

The men and women who are serving today IMHO are as good as any previous generation.

If it wasn't for people serving our country in the past, we wouldn't have a country.

While I strongly support freedom of speech, with freedom comes responsibility. It is too bad many people are irresponsible.

Nicki
What a dumbass comment re citizen vs civilian. There are many, many of us who have supported the military in various ways. I chose to go the science route, became a doctor, and have set up multiple military/service clinics to aid families who have loved ones deployed.

No right to vote? LOL, you are a fool, and 99.9% of the brave, dedicated military members in my family/friends would disown you in a heartbeat. Like having any other background, just because you have military service does not, unfortunately, prevent you from being a short-sighted fool. This, you have proven by your post. Bravo.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOtac View Post
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMP91 View Post
Hogwash . The moment you made the commitment to serve your country at the risk of life and limb, you became a veteran from that day forth!

I think we can all agree on what a "combat veteran" is, but so few people actually recognize what is behind the two quotes above..

There are countless Americans who have never worn the uniform of any of the branches of the military, yet make every bit the same (and sometimes greater) sacrifices. I wish I could say more, but just understand that there are brave Americans all over the world serving in roles to safeguard our national security. Our nation's intelligence services are a vital component to the success of the military whether they wear a uniform or not.
Old 01-24-2015, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarry scarney View Post
Ok. I enlisted in 1974, served on active duty till 1996, working on Microwave Electronics in the USAF. I was diagnosed with Cancer during my retirement physical. Two years of Chemo and radiation therapy, and go into remission. Six years later, heart attack (three blockages). Stents and cardio rehab, and back to work. Four years ago, a different Cancer, stage four. Normally therapy didn't work, ended up in clinical trials, still under treatment. I currently work as a "Defense Contractor." VA classifies me as a 100% Service Connected Disabled Veteran. On active duty, I served in support of Vietnam, Desert Shield/Storm. As a Contractor, in support of Bosnia, Somalia, Iraq and Afghanistan.

Question: Would you call me a Veteran?

I know my answer, and it really doesn't need any validation from someone who $h@t in their pants the first time they were shot at, or played some video game and they think they know what combat is all about.

I have respect for each and everyone that has served, or is serving in the US military (which includes the Coast Guard), or as a first responder in the United States. To me, we are all brothers and sister, to whom I will risk my life for. And to these brothers and sister, I am proud to know you, work with you, and hope to be here when you come safely home. God Bless the US of A.

Scarney out!
To me You are my brother in arms! As such we are part of a huge family that only those that have been in can understand. Thank you for your service and I am happy that you are doing well. You will beat this cancer.

USN 2000-2004
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
Old 01-24-2015, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHeavyHitter View Post
I think we can all agree on what a "combat veteran" is, but so few people actually recognize what is behind the two quotes above..

There are countless Americans who have never worn the uniform of any of the branches of the military, yet make every bit the same (and sometimes greater) sacrifices. I wish I could say more, but just understand that there are brave Americans all over the world serving in roles to safeguard our national security. Our nation's intelligence services are a vital component to the success of the military whether they wear a uniform or not.
AMEN!

USN 2000-2004
Old 01-24-2015, 7:07 PM

Respect to all military vets- most esp those folks who are combat vets.

Truth is, if you have not been in the military- pretty goofy to make disparaging comments about folks who signed up.

JMO though, there is a difference between people who served in a support role like watashi, and combat vet. people- like infantry, SF, Air ops and such who have gone into combat and "seen the elephant".

Much respect- the highest to them- for the sacrifices we all know they have made.

Just my 2 centavos as I said, you may think different.

And good on all you young calgunners- who are thinking about joining and want to serve our country.

Last edited by Ugly Hombre; 01-24-2015 at 7:46 PM..
Old 01-24-2015, 7:12 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

One team, one fight. At the end of the day, my job as a mechanic is meaningless without the grunts and the grunts job is impossible without me.

Regardless of mos, we all have the same goals and the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

Patches sold here. I am not affiliated with this page in any way.
Old 01-24-2015, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pterrell View Post
One team, one fight. At the end of the day, my job as a mechanic is meaningless without the grunts and the grunts job is impossible without me.

Regardless of mos, we all have the same goals and the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.
Totally agree. What squadron were you with and what carriers were you on? CVW-14 was onboard when I was in. My boy was an AT and AIMD was the place to be in the hot gulf summer. I miss it.

USN 2000-2004
Old 01-24-2015, 8:36 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvelas2A View Post
Totally agree. What squadron were you with and what carriers were you on? CVW-14 was onboard when I was in. My boy was an AT and AIMD was the place to be in the hot gulf summer. I miss it.
Never been on a carrier. Two years at a mals and two at a transitioning squadron. No fun for me so far.

Patches sold here. I am not affiliated with this page in any way.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelmandHunter View Post
Hell Yea doc, I consider you more of a combat vet than some POG who hits a 20 Litre jug in his MRAP and gets a CAR, or some Logistics F*ck who takes pop shots once or twice and gets one.

Aside from all that, be proud of what you've done, absolutely. Don't embellish or lie, there's no reason to.

However, be it known that if you claim "Combat Vet" status and you were turning wrenches or filing papers in TQ, Asad, Leatherneck, or Bagram, you should feel wrong, and I know those I mentioned do. Going to a war zone does not make you a combat veteran, and I run into OIF and OEF dudes all the time with their old timer trucker hats "COMBAT VETERAN" and they were the commandant of camp f*ckin cupcake or career planners doing reenlistments on Bagram.

I hate to go on a tyrade. I'm not quick to look down on support jobs and I always treat my dudes awesome and with respect. However, theres something despicable about someone who runs around and collects 'attaboys from the public, pawning themselves off as someone who was in danger when they weren't. This sh*t has always bothered me and I've seen quite a bit of it.

If you're a veteran, I appreciate what you've done in service to the nation. That goes for all jobs. If you claim Combat Vet status because you drank starbucks on TQ, or went to Friday Salsa dancing at the restaurants in Bastion, then f*ck you.

Theres my .03 Cents

Lol I got Imminent Danger Pay working in GTMO