Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Range Cleanups
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Range Cleanups Schedule dates and time to clean up outdoor ranges. If we don't who will?

Old 05-30-2011, 11:46 AM

I can be there at 10. Coming from SR makes it a trip but a buddy lives not 8 minutes from the range. I'll have a truck, a shovel, and a few toys. I can prolly rustle my buddy into going and he knows all you need about the area. I go there often with him and would love to give back. So count me in and if the OP can give me a head count, I can bring a Q and some nathans dogs!
Old 06-03-2011, 3:52 PM

See my first post for an update and post here with your head count
Thanks. Let's make it for 10 am
Old 06-03-2011, 10:23 PM

I'll be there, 10am. I can find Boggs, how hard is it find the shooting area? Leaving Fairfield around 8:30. I'm in a Durango, anybody need a ride?
Old 06-05-2011, 9:53 AM

If you pick up one of the maps at the front gate area, it will tell you how to get there. It's not hard but you have to pay attention to the road marker posts at junctions. Btw, I spoke to the Forest Aide, Joe, yesterday and he told me that there will be signage posted to let people know about the event. That way no one can cry and moan that we are hogging the shooting range
Old 06-05-2011, 1:18 PM

A early post said the signs would make good targets. I have nail magnets and will bring 2 quarts of Raley's fine potato salad, plates ,napkins, and of course some extra .223 (Miwall reloads for a laugh, its easy to blame this ammo.) Will get a map at front gate.
Old 06-05-2011, 1:23 PM

Thanks for what you're doing, guys. Not able to make it this time, hopefully count me in the for next one up there. Visited Boggs for the first time last week, pretty cool place.

Thanks again
Matt

Last edited by mwc; 06-05-2011 at 8:34 PM..
Old 06-05-2011, 7:56 PM

Hmmm...interesting I literally live next to Boggs and go up to the range about every month or so.

The place used to be a secret (I've been going there for about 17yrs) and you could go an entire day without anyone being up there besides yourself. Now every time I go no matter the time of the day there are drunken idiots out there. I'm a local and all the locals I know actually do take care of the place, but it's the out of towners who have destroyed the place. About a month ago I saw a group of skin heads blasting away at a tree with a 12ga from 5 ft away. It sickens me as this is my backyard.

I was told by one of the employees that if you see this kind of action to please write down the idiots license plate and give it to them at the office.
Old 06-05-2011, 8:23 PM
Veteran Member

I wish this wasn't planned for the weekend of the 200/300/600yd match at sac valley. I guess I will join in on the next one

PM me for electrical work
Old 06-06-2011, 3:21 PM

I'm the one bringing the grill if we use it. Maybe someone can bring a rangefinder to help me with iron sighting-in my first build and set up a couple designated ranged targets? From what it looks like we have 5 coming? Please respond to the OP for an official headcount. We WILL need to grab a camping spot to use the grill...If you'll be hungry, you HAVE to let me know you're coming, Thanks Everybody!!!
Old 06-08-2011, 2:51 PM

I think we will have more than 5 people show up for sure, but even with 5 we can make quite a difference. I look forward to getting in a good cleanup and meeting some fellow Calgunners.
See you out there!

Last edited by shooter777; 06-08-2011 at 9:33 PM.. Reason: poor syntax and spelling
Old 06-08-2011, 3:05 PM

Definitely! I got my buddy who lives down the street coming, he says locals always try to take care of the place, but I think we'll have to show them that not just locals care
See you at Boggs!
Old 06-08-2011, 6:20 PM

I have a place in Cobb and shoot at Boggs just about every time I'm up there.

I have raked up, baged up and hauled out a fair amount of junk ...

I will be up there this weekend stacking a cord of wood at the cabin.

I'm sure I can get up there for a little clean up.. I will be on a green klr 650

Just to be clear .... It's this Sat ?

UPDATE!!!! WE are confirmed for SAT June 11th
Ok it's on .... see ya there

Last edited by HUND; 06-08-2011 at 7:51 PM..
Old 06-08-2011, 7:05 PM

I'm glad you guys are doing this. I would be there to help too if I wasn't working this weekend. Please post pics before/after!

-Brad
Old 06-08-2011, 8:40 PM

Alright, I should be bringing 5-7 people with me and my large red Ram 1500.

I will also be bringing my camera to document the clean up
Old 06-08-2011, 9:09 PM
Veteran Member

Never been to Boggs but willing to come up. Couple of questions:
-Are we shooting as well as cleaning?
-I see BBQ mentioned. Are we cleaning, shooting and eating or some combination of those three?
Old 06-08-2011, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Never been to Boggs but willing to come up. Couple of questions:
-Are we shooting as well as cleaning?
-I see BBQ mentioned. Are we cleaning, shooting and eating or some combination of those three?
Mike, we are gonna try and do it all. I know at least one guy is bringing a grill. I will have a small grill as well. It sounds like a good time.

Anybody with a chainsaw? It might come in handy...
Old 06-09-2011, 3:27 PM

With this many folks it should take no time at all to clean that place up
Old 06-10-2011, 12:36 PM

I'm bringing potato,macraroni salad and cole slaw and plates and forks for 14 people. After 14 you gonna hafta use your right hand.
Old 06-10-2011, 6:45 PM

I just wanted to let you guys know that my group of 6 or so people are going to get there a little late. No one wants to wake up early enough to get there from Fairfield by 10am. Hopefully we are still needed by the time we get there
Old 06-11-2011, 11:53 AM

Default Thank You

The Boggs Mountain Demonstration State Forest staff wish to extend our sincere gratitude for the fine efforts of all who participated in the Saturday June 11 target shooting area clean-up at the forest. In particular, thanks to Cal Guns member David Garcia for organizing and facilitating the event. As you know, areas where the public are allowed to shoot are disappearing fast. Don't think for a minute that our site is not at risk for closure, because it is. We all want to prevent this from happening, so please be vigilant in helping to pick up the slack for the "slackers", regardless of where you shoot. Efforts like this one will go a long way towards ensuring public access into the future. Thank you again and we look forward to your continued participation.
Old 06-11-2011, 1:21 PM

Boggs Shooting Area Cleanup
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010963.jpg (58.7 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg P1010965.jpg (97.6 KB, 97 views)
Old 06-11-2011, 2:22 PM

Got there at 9:15 and picked up trash till about 11:00...

Had to get back to Napa or I would of stuck around longer and did some shooting.

Looks good !
I will be back up there next weekend to break in my new Ruger 10/22
Old 06-11-2011, 7:24 PM

No more reports ?

Maybe they are still up there BBQ'n and blasting away
Old 06-11-2011, 8:39 PM

Well I think we slam dunked that one. It was great to meet some fellow Calgunners and take care of business. Let's just say we went out with a bang. Check back here for the Tannerite guys' videos and photos.
Old 06-12-2011, 9:55 AM

Oh yah, I think the clean up wel very well. It was great to meet new people. As promised here are a few pictures I took, and the videos of the bangs

Photos Of The Clean up

Tire Goes Flying

Tire Almost Gets Blown Up

Tire Finally Fails

I will add more photos today when my friend Josh gets them uploaded
Old 06-12-2011, 2:55 PM

My tire ! What did you do to my tire !!
Old 06-12-2011, 7:14 PM

Great shots, good food, hard work, great Calgunners. Did that red truck take a wrong turn on the way home? I found all the tourist traffic in Calistoga.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:20 PM

thats my truck. what do you mean wrong turn?
Old 06-13-2011, 12:43 PM

I thought I saw your red truck take a right turn towards Santa Rosa near middletown. It might just be my early dementia kicking in. Grate photos/videos, I had a good time.
James
Old 06-13-2011, 1:15 PM
Calguns Addict

Sorry I didn't make it up. I have a dog who is close to the end and he took my weekend over at the last minute. I plan to be up there within the next week or two for additional "remediation".

Thanks to everyone who did make it up and for getting a new, positive light on our sport with CalFIRE.

Not a lawyer, just a former LEO proud to have served.

Quote:
Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. -- James Madison
Old 06-13-2011, 10:10 PM

Went up there Sunday night to teach my gf to shoot a .22. She had a blast. Good job guys. We also brought a trash bag and filled it up with junk when we left.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:20 PM

Nice job, all. I was only there once a couple years ago, but man, it looks like a different place. If and when I get up there again, you can be sure I'll have my rake, bags and truck to haul out what I can.
By the way, what did you use to blow up that tire?
Thanks to all who provided the labor!
Old 06-27-2011, 9:09 AM

We used a substance known as Tannerite to blow it up. Its fun stuff. You have to shoot it with a gun to make it blow up.
Old 12-06-2011, 1:23 PM

BTT- See newest update in first post

Last edited by shooter777; 12-06-2011 at 1:26 PM..
Old 12-27-2011, 12:29 PM
Calguns Addict

Is there a January date in mind? Don't see that in the OP.

Not a lawyer, just a former LEO proud to have served.

Quote:
Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. -- James Madison
Old 12-27-2011, 4:51 PM

You know, I was just up there last week and the place is looking pretty good. It seems that people are being more respectful of the resource. However, it would be a good show of force to go up there and keep it looking great. Of course, we could do some shooting and BBQing too. I was thinking either Jan or Feb. Any suggestions would be appreciated
Old 01-13-2012, 4:27 PM

Default Boggs Mountain vs. Calguns

Hi, I joined Calguns just to post this note. I live in Cobb, 10 minutes from Boggs, and I've been shooting there for the past 30 years. It's always been a hidden away spot where locals shoot on weekends. During the past year the place has exploded with shooters from all over the north state. I know this is public land and doesn't belong to the locals but I have to say that the place has become an out-of-control zoo. I was there 3 weeks ago and there were 12 cars parked side by side and probably 30 shooters on this tiny range.

Based on your blog, it looks like you have a lot of responsible people in your group and we particularly appreciate the clean up. That said, the publicity you have provided has pretty much opened the gates of hell to our small community. You can now show up on any weekend to see people from Sacramento or the Bay area with several cases of beer and a car full of guns. These people have no concept of manners or gun safety. Here are some examples: After agreeing to a "range closed" with shooters in order to set up new targets, a couple of drunks decided to start shooting clays with a shotgun while my son was up range. On another day a bunch of guys skidded to a stop at the range, jumped out and started firing pistols in the general direction of the target area. And finally, my son witnessed two families with drunk husbands who apparently arrived just to try out their homemade (2-inch diameter) pipe bombs. They did set them off, but don't worry, they all got in their cars ~50 feet away after they lit the fuses so that they wouldn't get hurt by the shrapnel. Unbelievably, they weren't hurt. I have no problem with pot or beer, but now it's common among some of the shooters. I would now classify this site as a very dangerous place to go considering the large number f untrained, under-the-influence people who now go there to shoot.

According to the local ranger, an old friend, the site is becomming a law enforcement problem. My guess is that the problem will soon go away for all of us and the site will be closed down. Clearly, the purpose of a blog is to communicate with huge numbers of people and this blog has obviously been very successful. But I have to ask, what did you think would happen to this small range once you made it public knowledge to thousands of people? My pretty good guess is that every small range you discover and post on your blog will end up being closed.

It is too late for us, but I would suggest that in the future you tell trusted friends about these sites personally. As we all know, there is a significant percentage of people who participate in our hobby that are morons who can hardly wait to get their hands on a gun and can't be bothered with learning gun safety, and have no concept of manners.
Old 02-02-2012, 1:00 PM

Quote:
Boggs Mountain vs. Calguns
Hi, I joined Calguns just to post this note. I live in Cobb, 10 minutes from Boggs, and I've been shooting there for the past 30 years. It's always been a hidden away spot where locals shoot on weekends. During the past year the place has exploded with shooters from all over the north state. I know this is public land and doesn't belong to the locals but I have to say that the place has become an out-of-control zoo. I was there 3 weeks ago and there were 12 cars parked side by side and probably 30 shooters on this tiny range.

Based on your blog, it looks like you have a lot of responsible people in your group and we particularly appreciate the clean up. That said, the publicity you have provided has pretty much opened the gates of hell to our small community. You can now show up on any weekend to see people from Sacramento or the Bay area with several cases of beer and a car full of guns. These people have no concept of manners or gun safety. Here are some examples: After agreeing to a "range closed" with shooters in order to set up new targets, a couple of drunks decided to start shooting clays with a shotgun while my son was up range. On another day a bunch of guys skidded to a stop at the range, jumped out and started firing pistols in the general direction of the target area. And finally, my son witnessed two families with drunk husbands who apparently arrived just to try out their homemade (2-inch diameter) pipe bombs. They did set them off, but don't worry, they all got in their cars ~50 feet away after they lit the fuses so that they wouldn't get hurt by the shrapnel. Unbelievably, they weren't hurt. I have no problem with pot or beer, but now it's common among some of the shooters. I would now classify this site as a very dangerous place to go considering the large number f untrained, under-the-influence people who now go there to shoot.

According to the local ranger, an old friend, the site is becomming a law enforcement problem. My guess is that the problem will soon go away for all of us and the site will be closed down. Clearly, the purpose of a blog is to communicate with huge numbers of people and this blog has obviously been very successful. But I have to ask, what did you think would happen to this small range once you made it public knowledge to thousands of people? My pretty good guess is that every small range you discover and post on your blog will end up being closed.

It is too late for us, but I would suggest that in the future you tell trusted friends about these sites personally. As we all know, there is a significant percentage of people who participate in our hobby that are morons who can hardly wait to get their hands on a gun and can't be bothered with learning gun safety, and have no concept of manners.
BKPOWDER, let me start off by apologizing for any unwanted attention to the shooting range that our actions may have caused. However, I have personally spoken with the Forest Aide and the Forest Manager a couple of times and they have always been thankful for Calgunners' interest in keeping this place clean. I also suspect that many of the yahoos that you are describing are not CGer's and are probably illiterate neighbors of the place.

There are a lot of new shooters to the sport and a lot of idiots in this world. That is a fact. Sometimes the two meet and you have unfortunate events.

I know for a fact that the range at Cobb Mt. is in trouble of being shut down due to trash and bozos. That's why we are involved in keeping Boggs clean. Obviously, there was a problem otherwise we wouldn't be doing this. I suggest you get involved with the Calfire people and organize more cleanups.

There is a lot of doom and gloom in your post and I just don't see the need for it. Boggs will continue to be open as long as people like you and I are willing to go out there and do some upkeep. I've been out there four times in the last two months and while it's gotten a little messier over the holidays, it looks dramatically better than it did 9 months ago.

IMHO, Calguns isn't the problem. Uneducated firearms owners are! The pipe bomb thing is ridiculous and the Sheriff should have been called if they were endangering others. MY $0.02

P.S. BKPOWDER, you asked me what I thought would happen when I originally posted this. Let me start off by saying that this whole thing came about after a revealing discussion with one of the two people I mentioned earlier(rangers) who are possibly your friends. I was told point blank that if actions were not taken by the shooting community to keep the place clean, that it would be shut down. The only reason I posted this last year was to try and save the place. There were definitely some unintended consequences as you have pointed out.

As I see it, we have to remain vigilant to keep our public lands open. If that means cleaning up garbage, then so be. Again, I am sorry for bringing more attention to the shooting range. The consequences of no attention is a shut down. Too much attention= Shut down. It's a catch 22.

Last edited by shooter777; 02-02-2012 at 1:16 PM..
Old 05-31-2012, 7:21 AM

I'm local to lake County, and have gone up to Boggs to shoot once, and it was my last time going up there. There is a complete and total lack of enforcement, and presence by the park rangers. The obligation to enforce laws at the shooting range as well as the park lies solely on the park rangers. Most of this trash and fire arms safety violation could be curbed with the simple presence of an officer.

As someone who frequents the park for use of it's other facilities, such as hiking and biking, we all appreciate your efforts to help clean this place up, but for the Park Staff to state "another range cleanup after the holidays that it would show people that there is a lasting commitment to keeping the place clean and open" makes me curious as to why they have had this problem for so long to get to this point without other measures being taken.

Also, as someone who frequents Cow Mountain (for business) on a regular basis, I can confirm (with pictures) that Cow Mountain is a thousand times worse than Boggs. Just the shooting range looks like a war zone. The shooting range is so far up the hill, that some people can't wait to get to the range and will pull over and start setting up range on the side of the road. I've had guns pointed at me numerous times as I traveled the road, which is not what I like to call a good time, or use of my undies. Again, another issue where law enforcement presence and action would slow this down to a manageable level. On my visits to the Cow Mountain (North Cow Mountain) Recreation Area, I've seen the
Ranger (BLM Law enforcement) once in 4 years.

in Summary, BLM and California Park Rangers need to step up enforcement at these parks an dgo after these people that are screwing it up for the rest of us. But tasking us (as tax payers) with the clean up of things that they are responsible to stop in the first place, makes me unhappy.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:41 AM

I feel ashamed that so many locals treat the place so poorly. I think we need to put a sign up instructing shooters they should pick up brass, shotshells, and stop bringing their ****ing TVs to shoot at. I've seen idiots bring their broken-down stereos and speakers to serve as targets. What a bunch of white trash dumbasses.

I'll try to find the time to work on a sign. I'm not going to ask permission to the rangers - it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. I wish they would also put a trash can over there, that would make things easier.[/QUOTE]

All real solid ideas but the reality is that people would see the sign and the trash can and use them as targets. Its been quite some time since my last visit to Boggs so i dont know how bad or clean it is now. If im in the area then i'll hep out.