Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 04-20-2019, 9:06 PM

Default pppppppppppp

ppppppppppppp

Last edited by SigP510; 05-20-2019 at 5:36 PM..
Old 04-20-2019, 10:53 PM

Are you taking a forty foot trailer to carry your bug out gear? I didn’t see guns and ammo, they are number 1 and 2 on my list.

Benjamin Franklin
Old 04-21-2019, 6:22 AM

Lol, seems like a lot? We have a full size crew cab z71.

The list is mainly made up of 72 hour shelter in place items. My first concern is earthquake, and waiting it out in place (single family home in Fremont).

A lot of the bug out items i saw were also on the 72 hour lists... so trying to cut costs and not double up on things.

Go Bag is a medium duffle and is about 1/2 full at this point. What would you move to the Go Bag or double up on for It?

Guns and ammo, check.
Old 04-21-2019, 11:03 AM

Seems like a good list of stuff. During the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake, there was no power and no natural gas for cooking or heating. Many people slept outside due to ongoing aftershocks and fear that their damaged homes might not stand up to a lesser size aftershock. Then it rained! So, being able to camp out in your backyard is a real possibility.

One prep item you might consider is extra fuel stored in high quality cans and rotated to keep fresh. You won't be able to get fuel from a gas station that has no power. The ones that do, will have long lines. If I had to leave my area, I would have 20 gallons of stored fuel plus what I had in my gas tank. That could take me well out of the area of trouble before having to look for fuel.

Another reason to be well stocked with fuel is that if one of your family members was injured after an earthquake, and their injury was not life threatening but definitely needed medical attention, it would be a consideration to drive out of the earthquake area to a distant town for medical care. This happened too during Loma Prieta. There were long waits for medical attention. If one drove out of Santa Cruz for example, and went to a more distant city, they would get faster attention for a serious laceration or broken bone than if they waited their turn in the disaster area.

Glad to see you had paper maps in your list. Paper maps are an underappreciated prep item these days. Paper maps can help you find alternate routes around rock slides or downed bridges and they don't need batteries or cell phone reception. Expect cell phone service to be down so no Google Maps!
Old 04-21-2019, 11:46 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

that's a big list.
if I had a list it would be bigger.
after the LA riots. I soon realized I had no way of leaving my house. just too much.
so I bought a 6x12 enclosed trailer. the mistake is a bought a lightweight trailer.
spend the extra and buy a HD trailer. you can also find those 16 foot toyhaulers cheaper than a 6x12 enclosed trailer on craigslist.

if I had the room, I would buy a small toyhauler.
Old 04-21-2019, 11:47 AM
CGSSA Leader

Seems pretty thorough, perhaps even deceptively so -- in the end, training and determination are more important than stuff. People can be good scroungers. But make sure you have a plan. All that stuff is useless if not all of you can get to it, or if you waste time looking for each other in the wrong place. Try to survey exit routes and secondary locations ahead of time.

But back to the mountain of stuff... I'd add a couple of things, since obviously you're not weight or space limited.

1. Vehicle sustainability. Along with fuel above, get some tire plugs. Urban driving in the aftermath of a major disaster will give you a lot of punctures. You should also have a tow strap in case you don't...

2. More pioneering / salvage tools. You should have a hammer and crowbar at minimum. Also I'd recommend a folding saw instead of a wire saw for forage or makeshift shelters.

3. Most of your first aid situations are going to be basic lacerations and punctures, not life threatening unless they're left open and get infected. Make sure you've enough little bandages to sustain these. Also be sure you have a good set of tweezers in your first aid kit. Thermometer and BP cuff aren't bad to have on hand either.

4. Have clear, printed photographs of all family members. In case someone winds up missing you'll want to leave a copy at a shelter, checkpoint, or field hospital.

Ask me about Appleseed! Send a PM or see me in the Appleseed subforum.
Old 04-23-2019, 1:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Unless you have property up in the mountains why would you go there? You and everyone else will have the exact same plan.

And the mountain dwellers will block the roads with trees (I would).
Old 04-23-2019, 5:27 PM
Veteran Member

Run a test... Start a stopwatch then pack everything. Don't stop the watch until you are "ready to go".

Can you do it in less then 2 hours?