Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 08-20-2013, 11:09 AM

Default San Bernardino - Employment Verification

My employment verification came in today. I guess working in the HR Department has it's perks. I'm pretty sure I shouldn't fill my own out though haha. I'll have one of the Partners do it.

Anyways, for the question - how long on average did it take for you guys to get the range date call after the employment verification was sent back? I haven't asked my neighbors yet if they were contacted. I interviewed on July 17th, so about a month for the employment letter.

I'm starting to get excited, but I'm sure I'll have a lot more waiting.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:34 AM

I had my interview in SbCo on July 2nd and my employment letter came in yesterday. My nieghbors were interviewed last week fwiw. Maybe i'll see you at range day when we get the call because it seems like we are at the same point in the process!
Old 08-20-2013, 12:52 PM

It does sound like we are at the same point in the process. Same range date would be cool. I'm hoping for Apple Valley as it's closer, but Devore works if it's sooner.
Old 08-20-2013, 1:29 PM

Employment Verification letter was received by the HR department at work on Fri., Aug 2nd and mailed back that same day. Received my call for the range date on Thurs., Aug 8th which is for Sun., Sept 8th @ Apple Valley. Original interview date was late April. Hope that helps!
Old 08-20-2013, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxmaster05 View Post
Employment Verification letter was received by the HR department at work on Fri., Aug 2nd and mailed back that same day. Received my call for the range date on Thurs., Aug 8th which is for Sun., Sept 8th @ Apple Valley. Original interview date was late April. Hope that helps!
Thanks!
Old 08-20-2013, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar-wg View Post
It does sound like we are at the same point in the process. Same range date would be cool. I'm hoping for Apple Valley as it's closer, but Devore works if it's sooner.
Yeah im hoping to go to AVGC as well. Im a member there and its a heck of alot closer than the other range!
Old 08-20-2013, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxmaster05 View Post
Wow thats awesome! Makes me wonder if i'll get "the call" once my employment letter gets back to SBCO.
Old 08-20-2013, 8:22 PM
Banned

Trust me, you will get "the call". SBCSO aprroves virtually everyone, no good cause required.

It is natural to be anxious, but just relax.

In the meantime, do you have liability and criminal prosecution reimbursement policies lined up??

Something to think about.
Old 08-20-2013, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calplinker View Post
Trust me, you will get "the call". SBCSO aprroves virtually everyone, no good cause required.

It is natural to be anxious, but just relax.

In the meantime, do you have liability and criminal prosecution reimbursement policies lined up??

Something to think about.

That is definitely something to think about. Going to start looking into that. Thanks
Old 08-21-2013, 7:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyson1311 View Post
Yeah im hoping to go to AVGC as well. Im a member there and its a heck of alot closer than the other range!
I was looking into becoming a member as it's only about 1.5 miles from my place. Then I saw you had to be sponsored and jump through other hoops and gave up haha.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:40 AM

Its really not bad at all. They say you need a sponsor, which you do, however you can just show up to the membership meeting and they will ask you if you have a sponsor and once you say no and the meeting starts they will have all prospective members stand up and introduce themselves and say why they want to join the club and after that, whoever is working the meeting will say "Will someone sponsor this person?" and probably 10 hands will go up. Its really that simple. Other than that, you need to go to a range orientation, get signed off to be able to get keys to all the facilities, and then your a provisional member or something like that for 90 days and you can't go to the range unsupervised, yet. After that, its all smooth sailing. It sounds like alot but it really isnt. I love being a member there. Everyone is helpful and most times theres hardly anyone there when I go shooting.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:41 AM

Oh and you have to be an NRA member and have some sort of "training". By "training" they mean either posess a hunter safety card, have military or law enforcement training, and I even think they will take NRA firearms course certification.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:06 AM

I'll probably look into it again once I'm done with the CCW process.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:34 AM

Seeing all these good CCW experiences makes me want to move a county over lol

Good luck OP & congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 08-23-2013, 4:10 PM

The form is not asking their opinion or their permission.

In the body it asks one very simple question.

"On a strictly confidential basis please furnish our office with any information you may have regarding this persons' character, honesty and dependability."

At the bottom, it has a little form that asks a few pretty basic questions regarding your Disposition and Reliability. Which I guess can be an opinion. i.e. "When we told him to move that mountain, he failed to complete the task in a timely fashion."

They also have a small "Remarks" line.

Tell your HR department that they can put in the remarks "As control freaks, we frown strongly on people who exercise their constitutional rights, particularly the 1st, 2nd and 4th amendments."

If they refuse to complete the form, I would ask them to sign a letter that they are refusing to cooperate in a legitimate investigation by the San Bernardino County Sheriffs Department.

If they refuse to do even that, you might send a letter into the SO detailing your conversations with HR. Maybe they would change their tune when a deputy shows up in the office.

The SBCSO is very supportive of this process!

Just my $0.02!
Old 08-23-2013, 5:56 PM

I have a few co workers going through the process in SBco, Its a buzzkill that the sheriff sends them a letter in the first place. I dont think its any of their business. Or maybe in the Letter no information is provided about the applicants attempt to get a CCW.
Old 08-26-2013, 7:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyson1311 View Post
...you will be fired on the spot.
Both my current and previous employers have very strict "No Weapons" policies. (Railroad and Utility) If I was on company property or company time while carrying, I would fully expect to be terminated immediately. They were both very clear about that.

While I may not agree, that is their business and when I am prostituting myself then I don't get to make the rules. I can always refuse to do business with them.

Exactly like "Joe's Liberal Coffee" down the the street. He doesn't allow guns in his shop and I don't have to buy his coffee.

While I have toyed with the idea of an LTC for over 20 years, it was actually a current co-worker who has one that was the final impetus for me applying. That and the current socio/political environment.

My co-worker said that when he got his LTC years ago, the company had him sign a letter confirming that he was fully aware of the "No Weapons" policies. However, my boss didn't even bat an eyelash at the form. It really depends on the person.
Old 08-26-2013, 2:54 PM

A couple questions for SBCO CCW residents:

Do they disclose the reason for their investigation to neighbors and employers? If not, what are they telling them?

Also, what if one is not employed at the time of the CCW application? Does this affect the application process at all?

TIA
Old 08-26-2013, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joec1101 View Post
A couple questions for SBCO CCW residents:

Do they disclose the reason for their investigation to neighbors and employers? If not, what are they telling them?

Also, what if one is not employed at the time of the CCW application? Does this affect the application process at all?

TIA
Not sure about the neighbors, as I haven't asked them, but the employment verification letter does state that you are applying for a CCW.
Old 08-27-2013, 7:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joec1101 View Post

My neighbors seemed to think I was applying for a job. Being unemployed/self employed didn't cause problem, just another question during interview.
Old 08-27-2013, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewcmr2 View Post
My neighbors seemed to think I was applying for a job.
I'm the first to say that I am somewhat of a hermit. I am very selective of my friends, but they are almost all "great" friends.

Net result is that I know my neighbors well enough to wave at them but I could not tell you most of their names.

While out shopping tonight I bumped into a neighbor I very rarely ever talk to. He started out the conversation asking if I had gotten the job. My confused look and reply that I was now working for Bla-Bla Company led him to think that his glowing review helped me get it. (I have actually been working for my current employer for over 20 months. Tells you how often I talk to him!)

I guess that is the cover story that SBCSD is using, or at least letting people assume. Remember, they are very good at asking the questions and deflecting yours.

I got the impression that they had called him, rather then showing up in person. I don't even have his number! Wonder if they just look up the phone numbers for the neighbors?

Quote:
"Good friends help you bury a body...Great friends bring their own shovel and don't ask any questions..."
Old 08-28-2013, 11:39 AM

Woo Whoo!! Just got the call, background came back clear and scheduled me for 9/21 range/class.