Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 03-11-2013, 8:27 PM

Default AIM 1903-A3 - Need advice / help please

I am interested in getting a 1903-a3 and saw this one at Aim surplus.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F3S1903A3SS

I am looking for a shooter not a safe queen. I intend to shoot this rifle quite a bit. I have been infected with the bolt action disease!!

If anyone knows or can tell me anything about these specific rifles at Aim I would appreciate it. The price seems high for a rebuild of unknown quality.

Any feedback or reviews would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-11-2013, 8:53 PM

IIRC, they are reactivated drill rifles. To me not worth what they are asking for. However, if it has the CBI tube then it would make a good shooter.
Old 03-11-2013, 9:29 PM
Veteran Member

They are Gibbs, some more info here:

http://www.gibbsrifle.com/index.html

The fact they are former drill rifles scares a lot of people off, but it really boils down to how they were turned into drill rifles in the first place. Some rifles, (Enfields, for example) were truly demilitarized when converted to parade use, with holes drilled in the action.

1903 A3s, were converted by tack welding the bolt shut, and the magazine disconnector in place. Gibs replaces both, and installs a new barrel and reproduction stock. I would not be concerned about shooting those rifles at all, and I expect they would make fine shooters.

You can probably find a 1903A3 for less money, but aside from the reclaimed receivers, I have never heard a negative thing about them, and have never heard of a failure.
Old 03-11-2013, 9:37 PM
Veteran Member

owned one, they're GTG!
180 grain super x Winchesters really kicked!

Old 03-11-2013, 10:02 PM

They look great, but do they now qualify as C&R?!? Fully refurbed with new barrel and stock?
Old 03-11-2013, 10:16 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_tunaman View Post
They look great, but do they now qualify as C&R?!? Fully refurbed with new barrel and stock?
Original receiver, all replacement parts matching original military configuration and your good to go.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups
Old 03-11-2013, 10:23 PM

Looks like it keeps the original configuration.
From the ATF site:
Q: What modifications can be made on C&R firearms without changing their C&R classification?
The definition for curio or relic (“C & R”) firearms found in 27 CFR ยง 478.11 does not specifically state that a firearm must be in its original condition to be classified as a C&R firearm. However, ATF Ruling 85-10, which discusses the importation of military C&R firearms, notes that they must be in original configuration and adds that a receiver is not a C&R item. Combining this ruling and the definition of C&R firearms, the Firearms Technology Branch (FTB) has concluded that a firearm must be in its original condition to be considered a C&R weapon.

It is also the opinion of FTB, however, that a minor change such as the addition of scope mounts, non-original sights, or sling swivels would not remove a firearm from its original condition. Moreover, we have determined that replacing particular firearms parts with new parts that are made to the original design would also be acceptable-for example, replacing a cracked M1 Grand stock with a new wooden stock of the same design, but replacing the original firearm stock with a plastic stock would change its classification as a C&R item.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:22 PM
Veteran Member

Receiver is smith corona isn't it?
That's c&r right?