Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 03-19-2017, 9:39 AM

Just got approved last week!!! I had never heard of ccwsafe till now. I will most likely buy both also. Thanks!
Old 03-19-2017, 10:35 AM
Señor Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jake View Post
You must list ALL CCW permits you have. I had the same question and when I called and asked that is what I was told.
I'm not getting a warm fuzzy.

I bought coverage for me CA permit. Of course, there is no "permit number" on the CA permit so I used the CII number, which is actually the criminal investigation reference number... everyone who has been arrested or a Livescan run has one.

So I shot them an email through their site asking about getting the AZ and FL permits documented.

That was last Sunday and I've received no email response from them other than a couple of their video links.

I've got a lot of crap going on at work right now and simply don't have the time to call their non-emergency number during working hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 03-19-2017, 5:32 PM

Since USCCA updated their policy. Isn't it better to just have USCCA versus having USCCA & CCW Safe?

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/membership/#sds-chart
Old 03-19-2017, 5:44 PM

Bail amounts: USCCA up to $100,000. CCW Safe up to 1 million. I have both and like the overlap. I don't know how it works, having both, in a shooting situation. In a shooting situation, when the cops arrive they aren't going to give you much time to call one, let alone both, before they handcuff you for officer safety and just being a suspect.

What were the USCCA updates?
Old 03-19-2017, 6:15 PM

Has anyone gone through a situation that required the use of both insurances, if so did they work well together?
Old 03-21-2017, 12:06 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSH View Post
Has anyone gone through a situation that required the use of both insurances, if so did they work well together?

Has anyone ever had any of these crap so called policies pay anything on anything. I get the impression it won't happen.

1A-2A = -1A
Old 03-26-2017, 6:06 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packy14 View Post
Has anyone ever had any of these crap so called policies pay anything on anything. I get the impression it won't happen.
Why do you say so called policies and why do you call them crap? First, so that there is no confusion, CCW Safe is not an insurance policy but a prepaid legal services plan and they make that clear. Next, for the vast majority of us I expect that they would never pay anything because we will never be involved in a self defense scenario where we are forced to draw our weapons and will need legal representation. If that were not the case, their membership fees would be orders of magnitude higher. I think that the better question would be is their anyone who was involved in a self defense incident involving the use of their firearm, where they refused to provide the specified coverage?
Old 03-26-2017, 7:37 PM

Comical. Just carry on then without a crap policy. Draw your weapon, shoot, and drop the perp and drain your bank accounts and assets to defend yourself from the state and civil lawsuits.

Quote:
Old 03-26-2017, 11:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAJ475 View Post
Why do you say so called policies and why do you call them crap? First, so that there is no confusion, CCW Safe is not an insurance policy but a prepaid legal services plan and they make that clear. Next, for the vast majority of us I expect that they would never pay anything because we will never be involved in a self defense scenario where we are forced to draw our weapons and will need legal representation. If that were not the case, their membership fees would be orders of magnitude higher. I think that the better question would be is their anyone who was involved in a self defense incident involving the use of their firearm, where they refused to provide the specified coverage?

Fortunately it is unlikely you will ever need it, but these companies seem shady at best, ccwsafe really seems useless and the others make a lot of great promises but I wonder has anyone had them follow through (of course to do so one would have to have had an incident).

1A-2A = -1A
Old 03-27-2017, 12:39 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Fortunately it is unlikely you will ever need it, but these companies seem shady at best, ccwsafe really seems useless and the others make a lot of great promises but I wonder has anyone had them follow through (of course to do so one would have to have had an incident).
While I am not opposed to scepticism, I do not understand why you conclude that ccwsafe seems useless. It is true that it does not provide civil damage coverage, but it is not an insurance policy. If civil damage coverage is important, you would need an insurance policy. But this is where it gets tricky, in that, it is generally against public policy to provide liability coverage for one's intentional criminal acts and self defense will almost always be an intentional act.

What impressed me the most about CCW Safe was that in response to an email question I had about exclusions, they had Don West personally call me to answer it. As far as follow through, from what he told me they are providing services in about a dozen cases.
Old 03-27-2017, 5:02 PM
Banned

A home owner's insurance company umbrella policy might cover using a deadly weapon to protect life.

I would not buy a policy that forces me to use an attorney it chooses. I'd hire a lawyer whom is best, whether criminal or civil.

Not all lawyers are equal. Few are much better than most.
Old 03-27-2017, 5:05 PM
Banned

Insurance companies reap huge profits by collecting premiums and devising methods of weaseling out of indemnity.
Old 03-27-2017, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic View Post
A home owner's insurance company umbrella policy might cover using a deadly weapon to protect life.

I would not buy a policy that forces me to use an attorney it chooses. I'd hire a lawyer whom is best, whether criminal or civil.

Not all lawyers are equal. Few are much better than most.
Homeowners excludes intentional acts.

I went with uscca ...Pick your lawyer no out of pocket cost
Old 03-28-2017, 3:26 PM

This got me thinking,

Does anyone have any information on CCWSafe's ability to pay? Do they provide any proof that they have money in the bank to come to your defense?

I'm thinking of adding CCWSafe to my USCCA coverage rather than upgrading USCCA to gold.
Old 03-28-2017, 5:20 PM

Has there been history of any of these companies in action - actually defending someone in court?

I went with USCCA platinum membership.
Old 03-28-2017, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VL221 View Post
Has there been history of any of these companies in action - actually defending someone in court?

I went with USCCA platinum membership.
Uscca claims to have several smaller cases ..But you have to believe the people are real and not paid actors giving testimony.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:17 PM

Sent my questions in to ccw safe and got this back:

Quote:
Unfortunately we do not present our cases for the public. There are a few members that are facing murder charges and set for trial that really want us to share their cases yet we don't believe that is smart to do during an open case. It could look as if you are throwing it in the face of the state's attorney. So we may do it upon request in the future. We do not market the tragedies of our members for profit.

I can tell you we average 10 cases a year although we have had six already this quarter; this will be the busiest year since we were established in 2011.

Our financials are proprietary and confidential. You can do independent research and see we have an A+ rating with the BBB with no complaints of failing to service claims. I can tell you that Effective January 1, 2017 CCW Safe established a Captive Insurance Company, 2A Insurance. Every membership is not only backed up by CCW Safe’s insurance policies with 2A Insurance, but also a re-insurance policy that 2A Insurance purchases through Port Royal Insurance Ltd. SAC. If you have any additional questions we can direct you to our General Counsel, Kyle Sweet.
Interesting...still with 10 cases a year you would figure they would choose to go public with one or two of em as proof (after they are long closed of course)
Old 03-29-2017, 12:23 PM

If they were established since 2011. Doesn't that mean there are cases that are closed? Yet, CCWsafe is still unwilling to share information on closed cases?
Old 03-29-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
If they were established since 2011. Doesn't that mean there are cases that are closed? Yet, CCWsafe is still unwilling to share information on closed cases?
My thoughts exactly.

It also gets me a bit that they offer you no limits, but give you no idea to how deep their pockets are.

Can you expect to be covered 100 percent if your the next G. Zimmerman?

Anyway, I only had Silver with USCCA...Just upgraded to Gold instead of adding ccwsafe....at least USCCA tells you exactly what your getting ccwsafe seems to mask a lot of it (don't worry we got you!) even down to the attorney's they work with in your area....something just smells funny with those guys.

Last edited by Montu; 03-29-2017 at 3:22 PM..
Old 03-29-2017, 6:34 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
So we may do it upon request in the future. We do not market the tragedies of our members for profit.
Perhaps those members wish to remain in the shadows and out of marketing material?

Personally?
I would more than willingly share my story here, and maybe even with the NRA, but I would not want it used for marketing.

Quote:
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 03-30-2017, 6:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
Perhaps those members wish to remain in the shadows and out of marketing material?

Personally?
I would more than willingly share my story here, and maybe even with the NRA, but I would not want it used for marketing.
Yeah I can see not wanting to be used for marketing material, however like you said..I think at least one of these guys would be out on the internet sharing their story (whether it's verifiable or not) ...however search the internet and you'll find
nothing.

I mean I would be happy with a story like this:

Pulled gun on BG, cops came got kinda weird..I was accused of X.
Called my ccw insurance and they helped me make a statement, no charges filed or charges dropped.
Old 03-30-2017, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montu View Post
Yeah I can see not wanting to be used for marketing material, however like you said..I think at least one of these guys would be out on the internet sharing their story (whether it's verifiable or not) ...however search the internet and you'll find
nothing.

I mean I would be happy with a story like this:

Pulled gun on BG, cops came got kinda weird..I was accused of X.
Called my ccw insurance and they helped me make a statement, no charges filed or charges dropped.
This.. Anyone know if USCCA is being transparent with their past cases?

CCWsafe is making me very skeptical about their services..
Old 04-02-2017, 8:46 PM

At least USCCA is more transparent with real cases:

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/off...he-uscca-today
Old 04-02-2017, 9:29 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have both.. The Platinum USSCA is pretty good, bail was a bit lite.. CCW looked great in some areas, but as stated a bit vague.

So I have both..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony270 View Post
It's easy to be a keyboard warrior, you would melt like wax in front of me, you wouldn't be able to move your lips.
Member: Patron member NRA, lifetime member SAF, CRPA
Old 04-03-2017, 8:45 AM

Quote:
At least USCCA is more transparent with real cases:

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/off...he-uscca-today
Nice find, I only remember seeing "Buddy's" story.
Old 04-06-2017, 2:57 PM

I just got off the phone with CCWSafe, because I was trying to sign up on the website and had a technical problem. An account rep called me back, we discussed it, and he is forwarding the issue to the IT department, and also gave me a good explanation why it happened. Then, he helped sign me up and answered my questions related to billing. He also gave me his work phone number (direct line, not the general 800#) and said to call anytime with questions. Your experience may differ, but I enjoy this level of customer service.
Old 04-06-2017, 4:11 PM

Tagged
Old 04-26-2017, 9:41 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by back4more70 View Post
I just got off the phone with CCWSafe, because I was trying to sign up on the website and had a technical problem. An account rep called me back, we discussed it, and he is forwarding the issue to the IT department, and also gave me a good explanation why it happened. Then, he helped sign me up and answered my questions related to billing. He also gave me his work phone number (direct line, not the general 800#) and said to call anytime with questions. Your experience may differ, but I enjoy this level of customer service.
I can also comment on their level of service. When I posed a legal question regarding plea bargains and coverage that their staff could not answer, they had Don West call me. Now, I call that service.
Old 04-30-2017, 7:24 PM
Veteran Member

And now there's NRA Carry Guard.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:52 AM

tag
Old 06-14-2017, 2:22 PM

Big jake have you compared the new NRA Carry Guard to the other two discussed in this post. Looking into buying coverage here soon and wanted to see if it's worth looking into it.
Old 06-14-2017, 2:28 PM

+1 for CCWSafe's customer service, policy, and pri¢e.

.45 ACP. It's like a 9mm, except for grown-ups.
Old 06-14-2017, 5:48 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag+1 View Post
+1 for CCWSafe's customer service, policy, and pri¢e.
I'm not impressed.

5 months, STILL nothing from them in the mail.

I emailed and inquired about getting my FL and AZ permits listed, and how to resolve the issue that my CA permit doesn't have a number.
After sending a followup email 2 weeks later I got a response indicating to simply email them the FL and AZ information... no suggestion on the CA permit, no followup when I sent the FL and AZ information.

I will not be renewing with them next year.

Quote:
Old 06-14-2017, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
I'm not impressed.

5 months, STILL nothing from them in the mail.

I emailed and inquired about getting my FL and AZ permits listed, and how to resolve the issue that my CA permit doesn't have a number.
After sending a followup email 2 weeks later I got a response indicating to simply email them the FL and AZ information... no suggestion on the CA permit, no followup when I sent the FL and AZ information.

I will not be renewing with them next year.

It's all done via email and electronically. I received a welcome email along with instructions to add the digital CCWSafe ID card to my Apple Wallet. That way, if I ever need to contact them after a self-defense encounter, I'll have it. I've also printed a copy of the card.

I've also been receiving newsletters from them, with CCW-related articles.

.45 ACP. It's like a 9mm, except for grown-ups.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:52 AM

I have an umbrella homeowner's policy that supposedly covers liability for lawsuits stemming from use of force while either away or at home.

I also signed up with CCW Safe. Is that sufficient? Who knows....I just hope to never find out.
Old 11-26-2017, 1:35 PM

Great thread! It seems like most people recommend going with usscca and ccwsafe together. I just went through the tread and didn’t see all that much about the NRA offering. Does any one have that and can really compare it between uscca?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-26-2017, 2:10 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwtiger69 View Post
Great thread! It seems like most people recommend going with usscca and ccwsafe together. I just went through the tread and didn’t see all that much about the NRA offering. Does any one have that and can really compare it between uscca?

The relatively low cost of both policies at the highest level of coverage is around $550.00 per year. I sleep better at night having both. I hope I never need to use them but its only expensive until you need it. In the unlikely event that you ever do have a self-defense shooting it is better to have both and I certainly would not worry which is better at that point. The NRA Carry Guard is a relatively new product, which is why it is not addressed in this thread.

"Liberalism Is A Mental Disorder"-Michael Savage!

"The Object of Life Is Not To Be On The Side Of The Majority, But To Escape Finding Oneself In The Ranks Of The Insane"-Marcus Aurelius!

"Dr. Thomas Sowell Is A National Treasure"-Big Jake!
Old 11-26-2017, 2:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Don't confuse paying for a defense with paying any damages for which you are found liable. In California an insurer can defend you but not pay indemnify you for damages.

What is an intentional act? You intentionally point a gun at someone and even if you believe that you pulled the trigger, what if the dead guy's survivor's allege that you negligently squeezed the trigger harder than you intended?

I looked at these companies a while back and do not recall which, but one or both of them still didn't pay if you are proven to have committed any crime. Say the shoot looks to be justifiable but you were on premises in which carrying was prohibited even with a CCW?

One thing nice about actual insurance policies issued by admitted insurers in California. They are audited and subject to maintaining a certain amount of assets to cover claims. I don't know about legal service plans. Also if your insurer goes belly up, there is some protection offered but off the top of my head I don't recall the specifics. Generally, when I looked into these two companies a couple of years ago, and at the time I recall Jake's posts, I didn't like either of those two. Sorry, but I don't recall the specifics.

As for umbrella insurance policies, some offer more than others. The same with homeowner's policies. I recall a conversion case (civil form of theft) between two brothers. The one had a policy from Mercury that covered him. The other brother had 21st Century and it did not provide coverage.

This is where a good independent insurance broker earns his fees. Sorry, I don't know of any, but they should be able to steer you to the right insurers.

Last edited by Chewy65; 11-26-2017 at 2:22 PM..
Old 11-26-2017, 2:32 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwtiger69 View Post

At the highest level it's better than either (ccwsafe is prepaid legal, Uscca is a membership that includes a group insurance plan (not an individual policy with your name on it). NRA carry gold provides 150k for legal (up to 30k upfront) and 1 mil civil. Now a higher level (gold plus) is up to 250k legal and 1.5 mil civil. You have a individual policy not a membership with some random organization which may or may not cover you when you need it most... sorry I'm not into sharing a group policy and hoping it all works out. To me it's the best (and I also think the two other options heavily mentioned on this thread are suspect given lack of individual spelled out policies.. I don't share my car insurance with Joe Dumb... so why would I share this?). NRA carry also automatically covers a spouse (inside or outside your home) and any family residing in your house (while they are physically in your house)
https://www.nracarryguard.com/member...us-membership/

1A-2A = -1A

Last edited by Packy14; 11-26-2017 at 3:04 PM..
Old 11-26-2017, 3:07 PM

Again thanks for all the recent replies. There is a lot of info to search through. Also didn’t think about looking through my insurgence to see if there is anything that would help with coverage (Mercury). Don’t expect much of it just another thing to look at. Thanks again!