Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 6:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewheelwes View Post
I am not so much of a shopper as a getter, but in the sacto area I still like River City Gun Exchange. I was concerned the first time I walked in, but the staff knows what they are talking about and they seem to have what I want more than their competition.
Beat me to it- River City Guns is THE BEST in Sac County! I have done some business before with STS and Wildwood Sports and they were good. Sac Black Rifle has also treated me well, but a good friend who I trust had a negative experience there recently.

OP- Sorry about your bad experience there. There are better places to shop and I will personally meet up with you at River City Guns to introduce you to the staff there. I'm tight with them and will help you out there if needed. Please PM me and I'll give you my cell number, no problem.

Will Bills in Elk Grove is good as well, but their customer service has gone down alot since they expanded. If you go there, try to deal only with the nice lady named Marge.

The Shooting Shack and MTG guns in Elk Grove both seem to have pretty nice staff, but these new stores have to have higher prices to survive.

Thanks again on the heads up on STS.

Last edited by desertexplore; 02-27-2013 at 6:12 AM..
Old 02-27-2013, 8:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertexplore View Post

The Shooting Shack and MTG guns in Elk Grove both seem to have pretty nice staff, but these new stores have to have higher prices to survive.

Not true about MTG. They have great prices, some of the fairest in town.

I'm a big MTG fan, shop there regularly and am happy.
Old 03-04-2013, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertexplore<br />

<br />

<br />
The Shooting Shack and MTG guns in Elk Grove both seem to have pretty nice staff, but these new stores have to have higher prices to survive.<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
Not true about MTG. They have great prices, some of the fairest in town.<br />
<br />

I have shopped at most of the local firearm stores in the Sacramento area. I must say that I have a negative experience 100% of the time that I go to "Justguns" on watt ave!

Every time i go to "JustGuns" the staff either ignores me,or they talk down to me like I'm too stupid to own a firearm. i have since stopped shopping there!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 03-05-2013, 3:13 PM

I love River City Gun Exchange!!! I have been to most stores in northern CA and river city is the best. ASK FOR KELLY. He is pacient, well rounded in firearm knowledge and he does all the ordering for the store... so if you need it, he can order it. Prices are great too.

Tell Him JAMES sent you!!
Email: James@interofolsomlake.com
DRE# 01919641

With the Real Estate market in the news weekly, be sure to contact me to see how this market is affecting you.
Old 03-12-2013, 1:20 PM

I live 5 minutes away from STS, and actually just bought a rifle and a handgun there in the last month. Their customer service is spotty at best. Around 50% of the time when I walk in there I expect to be treated poorly/ignored/insulted/treated like I don't know anything about guns. The other 50% of the time I'm treated with the utmost respect and courtesy. It's a crap-shoot.

The guy at STS we bought my hubbie's rifle from was really friendly and nice. The guy we picked it up from was an arrogant condescending jerk.

I've always been treated well 100% of the time from SBR and RCGE.

Edit: Shooter's Warehouse is also great!

Last edited by nani; 03-12-2013 at 2:09 PM.. Reason: added SWH
Old 03-15-2013, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nani View Post
I live 5 minutes away from STS, and actually just bought a rifle and a handgun there in the last month. Their customer service is spotty at best. Around 50% of the time when I walk in there I expect to be treated poorly/ignored/insulted/treated like I don't know anything about guns. The other 50% of the time I'm treated with the utmost respect and courtesy. It's a crap-shoot.

The guy at STS we bought my hubbie's rifle from was really friendly and nice. The guy we picked it up from was an arrogant condescending jerk.

I've always been treated well 100% of the time from SBR and RCGE.

Edit: Shooter's Warehouse is also great!
Lol well I don't shoot craps when I buy firearms, if I cant get respect, you can't have my money! Lol

Old 04-17-2013, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetsnaz View Post
since we are on the topic what do you guys/customers think of river city gun exchange and wild bills place?
River city is awesome. They are usually packed, but once you get someone to help you, they are very helpful. Their prices aren't bad either.
Old 04-17-2013, 5:15 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrdroidian View Post
<br />
<br />
Not true about MTG. They have great prices, some of the fairest in town.<br />
<br />

I have shopped at most of the local firearm stores in the Sacramento area. I must say that I have a negative experience 100% of the time that I go to "Justguns" on watt ave!

Every time i go to "JustGuns" the staff either ignores me,or they talk down to me like I'm too stupid to own a firearm. i have since stopped shopping there!

Their online reviews speak volumes. Justguns SUCK. I went there 1 time and walked out after 2 minutes. They are all D-Bags.
2. PW 800B converted to 800C (12 gauge) with lots of accessories and upgrades
3. Hornady 366 (12 gauge)
Old 04-17-2013, 7:46 PM
Veteran Member

River City is great! So great in fact that our gun-grabbing politicians feel a need to pose with their flyer in hand! (Do a google search for Darrell Steinberg). And if you're looking for 223, they have lots of it. They're selling 1000rd boxes for $675, and I counted at least 70 boxes stacked in various corners. Not the best prices, but cheaper than anyone in the For Sale section.
Old 04-17-2013, 8:16 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrdroidian View Post

Strange, I've had nothing but good experiences at Just Guns. They do PPT's really quick too.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 04-17-2013, 9:18 PM

I hate Just Guns. Nothing but bad service from them.

River City is my favorite gun shop in Sacramento. All the guys are rad. TDS takes good care of me as well. For the most part, Sac Black Rife is good but there has been a time or two when I didn't get treated very well. The guys at the Cordova range are great as well as the guys at The Gun Range.

For the most part, River City has the best guns as well as the most guns in stock.
Old 04-18-2013, 7:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex Vader View Post
I hate Just Guns. Nothing but bad service from them.

River City is my favorite gun shop in Sacramento. All the guys are rad. TDS takes good care of me as well. For the most part, Sac Black Rife is good but there has been a time or two when I didn't get treated very well. The guys at the Cordova range are great as well as the guys at The Gun Range.

For the most part, River City has the best guns as well as the most guns in stock.
Wow, I thought I was the only one to have experienced the poor service in this place. I don't go anywhere near "Justguns", they don't get what customer service means. What's funny is people were making complaints about how they were treating African-American customers, so they hired an African-American guy but his customer services skills aren't any better then the owners or the old guys that already work there! I now shop at river city , or wild bills trading post, at least I know they are faking it and trying to make me feel welcome! Lol jk

Old 04-26-2013, 8:50 AM

I was in there with a buddy for about 10mins, we weren't even acknowledeged. Not a Hi, hello, can we help you with something. Not even eye contact. I said to hell with this store, I'll bring my business else where.
Old 04-26-2013, 8:52 AM

I forgot to mention this was at STS... and the store WAS NOT BUSY AT THE TME. they'll never get my mon-nay!!!
Old 04-26-2013, 8:56 AM

waiting for deisel Power to come in and tell us all how wrong the client was and to justify the terrible customer service.
Old 04-30-2013, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed peters View Post
Not true about MTG. They have great prices, some of the fairest in town.
I like MTG but i have to disagree with their pricing. Last january i ask them how much for the transfer of my lower reciever (GB lower) and i mention that i read somewhere they will offer discount on the transfer if i was a member of calguns. They quote me $75 plus DROS fee. I was shock, so i decided to check somewhere. Then 2 weeks ago i ask again how much it will cost me for the transfer of my lower in their shop. The guy on the cashier quoted me $100 plus DROS fee.
I just say thank You and then left.
I'm glad i go to GST with robbie.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:55 PM

i was in tds a little bit ago.
Can any one tell me what happened to them? back in 2010 and 2011 they were killing it! they had the best selection the best everything! prices, parts even their 2A saturday was a hit! now it seems like they only a couple pistols and a few rifles.
did they get into legal trouble?

Courage is endurance for one moment more…
- Unknown USMC Lieutenant
Old 05-19-2013, 7:38 PM

I hate Yelp.

"Saying we don't need guns because we have cops is like saying we don't need fire extinguishers because we have firefighters"

"My lemonade stand was robbed once by two thieves. I shot them both. No more robberies."

"Went to the Giants game yesterday. For opsec reasons I said I was going next week. Can never be to careful."
Old 05-19-2013, 8:16 PM

I've been to STS once and they were nice. It was slow so maybe thats why it was a decent experience. One visit - no complaints.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:58 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramathorn View Post
I've been to STS once and they were nice. It was slow so maybe thats why it was a decent experience. One visit - no complaints.
I've been there twice this year when it was busy and the staff were friendly and helpful.

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 05-20-2013, 6:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelthetrojan View Post
i was in tds a little bit ago.
Can any one tell me what happened to them? back in 2010 and 2011 they were killing it! they had the best selection the best everything! prices, parts even their 2A saturday was a hit! now it seems like they only a couple pistols and a few rifles.
did they get into legal trouble?
Wondering the same thing. The last three times I was there it was a ghost town. Wonder if they are sending most of their inventory to the new Chula Vista location(?).
Old 05-21-2013, 8:19 PM

Bought my firs lower there ar 15 Little over a year ago. Price is good service ok the first time. Went back the next month to buy a upper and a barrel, (had cash in hand 800$ to spend ) just asked a simple question what is a good barrel to do XYZ with and got the reply I can talk barrels all day with you another time but now I have things to do. He then proceeded to talk to the next person in line. Haven't Ben back since, il pay a little more for some one who knows what there selling.
Old 06-21-2013, 1:06 PM

I first visited sts back when they first opened and I was upset with the service. I had to give it another try. I have been going there a while mostly just for good conversation and a few parts. I will say that there are one or two guys that should find a new job but the rest of them I really like. Fun guys, one of them even wants to go hunting together. They are good guys especially Scott te owner and a few others. But some of their prices are high. Im sure if you told them and provided proof of the lower price tey would be willing to match the price. Everyone is different I guess. I have to say there is one or two I there that have no right to work in a gun store. I might try to apply there to help out on weekends and would love to make it a more pleasant place to go for all firearm needs.

There is a bad seed in every apple SBR and TDS have them as well, but that doesn't mean the whole shop is no good. I had a similar experience a few times at SBR, everyone gets treated differently and it is unfortunate. But I can speak very highly of TDS, just try to deal with the owner or his son. Really nice people
Old 06-21-2013, 1:11 PM
Banned

MTG in Elk Grove treats me well every time I go in. River City Guns is also great except for "that one guy".

Last edited by desertexplore; 07-27-2013 at 10:29 AM..
Old 07-27-2013, 8:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetsnaz View Post
was in there few weeks ago doing ppt. went smoothly. didnt know what the board war for.

sucks man but move on. not every place is friendly. only place i think is friendly is sac black rifle
love blackrifle nothing but nice helpful guys that take their time with you, they don't act above and better then you and answer any question you have without a look of being annoyed
Old 07-27-2013, 8:07 AM

question, I know there are a lot of racist people everywhere, but do you think age, race have anything to do with their service, I mean I can understand a lot of us might be lookey-loo's but some of us go in there cash in hand wanting to buy some stuff!
Old 10-07-2013, 8:11 PM

So wish I read these reviews before I just went through 3 weeks of no one knowing what was going on with a purchase I made and everyone was very nice and polite. Until the owner (Bill) came out and was a complete jerk & even called me a liar. I tried to explain the situation but all he wanted to do was slam me and insult me. I told him I'll never shop there again and he was the first gun store I'd ever had a problem with. He told me I was the first person who ever had an issue with his store. Well obviously this post proves him wrong.
This owner has serious issues and his staff can't keep track of simple stuff. I had good experiences with the staff for months up to this incident but after the owner does something like this people need to avoid STS!!
Old 10-07-2013, 8:44 PM
Banned

Next time- MTG in Elk Grove.
Old 10-10-2013, 1:17 AM

STS will not get my business nor will i recommend them to anyone.

Walked into the quiet store, I was ready to drop about $1000 hoping to pick up ammo, pistol, and a holster.

Walked by 3 different employees without a word, they also avoided eye contact.

Thought to myself why waste my time in this store?. I can go down to Wild Sports (9396 Greenback Ln, 95662).
There I was warmly greeted and welcomed by knowledgeable staff, Gary, Jim I believe were the ones who helped me.
Needless to say guess where I spent the $1000.

Last edited by GlockIPSEC; 10-10-2013 at 1:19 AM..
Old 10-10-2013, 5:09 PM

MTG is great if you're a guy. If you're a girl, you're ignored unless you're actually buying something. Then they're forced to help you.
Old 10-11-2013, 7:32 PM

Haven't been to STS yet, but I'm always looking for a new shop to visit. Scratch that one off the list.
Old 10-11-2013, 8:18 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMikeL View Post
Haven't been to STS yet, but I'm always looking for a new shop to visit. Scratch that one off the list.
You can't please everyone all the time. I would say check them out.

I have never had a problem with them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
More what? More crazy?
You live in California. There's always more crazy. It's a renewable resource.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:14 PM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Here is my perspective. I have never done business with any of the shops mentioned in this thread. I am only giving my viewpoint as a gun dealer.

There are a few levels of mutual commitment between a buyer and seller.

Window shopper - no commitment between parties
waiting list/stock alert/call me when the gun comes in-no commitment between both parties
pre-paid list- buyer pays in advance and gets placed on a list. Seller honors the list. Seller is committed to getting that gun.
Purchase in stock item-buyer gets gun that is present after 10 day wait.

When the OP asked to be called when the gun came in the shop owner did call him. If he wanted to buy it he could have paid over the phone to lock in the gun. By making no commitment to buy other than a promise to show up the next day the gun was still available for sale. The dealer will always take a paying customer over a promise to pay customer if he wants to keep his business.

It seems unfair and the dealer should have told him to buy the gun over the phone. The practice of putting names on a board should be abolished as it clearly does not serve much purpose.

I get calls all day long. When I tell people a gun is out of stock and they ask to be called when it comes in I make it very clear that the only way they will get that gun from any dealer is to either find a dealer that has it in his possession or pre-order and pay in full in advance. I can get guns like Glocks all day long but if you want an FDE SCAR 17s at or below retail you have to pre-pay because no one has them.

A recent example is with someone that wanted to buy an HK MR556. He told me to call him when one came in. In the meantime I had 3 other guys pre-pay for the same gun. When I got my allotment a few weeks later I only got 2. Now customer #1 is still waiting for a call he will only get when distributors are begging me to buy HK 556s, customers 2 and 3 got their guns, and customer 4 is #1 on the list for my next allotment. Customer #1 will call in a few weeks asking if any HKs came in. I will tell him yes and they were sold to paying buyers. He will then realize he needs to pre-pay to get the gun but by that time he will be #5 or 6 on the list of pre-paid buyers.

This example happens with every popular gun from Springfield 1911s to Tavors, to PMR30s. I have guys on 1 year prepaid waits for special guns. They commit so I commit.

Private 10 acre range rentals
[/URL]
Old 10-11-2013, 11:48 PM
Banned

Location: Looking intently through my scope, slowing my breath.

I wonder if any if you realize this is all by design....we've all completely played right into "their" hands. All of us are guilty. We've turned on each other. We've turned on businesses. Businesses have turned on us. We've turned on manufacturers. A house divided cannot stand. It's only going to get worse. I'm no longer buying or selling anything to anyone. Better start stacking cans of food, water, batteries, medicine etc folks. ****SABOUTTOHITTHEFAN.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:58 PM
Banned

Huh? Good customer service is not an accident.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:04 PM

Default SBHTF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silentarrow View Post
I wonder if any if you realize this is all by design....we've all completely played right into "their" hands. All of us are guilty. We've turned on each other. We've turned on businesses. Businesses have turned on us. We've turned on manufacturers. A house divided cannot stand. It's only going to get worse. I'm no longer buying or selling anything to anyone. Better start stacking cans of food, water, batteries, medicine etc folks. ****SABOUTTOHITTHEFAN.

Last edited by GlockIPSEC; 10-21-2013 at 12:27 AM..
Old 11-28-2013, 2:50 AM

I've been into STS Guns in Folsom about 4 times now and only bought a Hope's pistol cleaning kit one time, the other 3 I took a look around mostly checking prices and handling some of the Rem700 rifles but I doubt I would buy any firearms from them. I guess the best time I had there was when I started asking the pretty blonde gal some questions about getting a AR smithed, she didn't know much but was really nice. I usually have better luck from my LEO buddies or friends who always have to many arms in their safes and need to make space even to much ammo, getting brand new P+ for free is always nice =D. Online for ammo if otherwise!
Old 11-29-2013, 9:06 PM

JunGun, So you always ask women advice on your weapons. I know this store, I sell to them. Every business has it's problems. These guys are good at what they do. I can send you to about twelve gun shops around the Sac area that are a lot worse off then these guys. This thread is a stupid little feeding frenzy on a good supplier of things that go bang.
Old 11-29-2013, 9:23 PM

Always had good experiences when I go into STS. They seem to be doing well. I figure if they don't give good service they won't stay in business.
Old 11-29-2013, 9:28 PM

I try to avoid the younger guys at STS... too much of a bro mentality. Their prices seem to be all over the place as well. $40 for a box of Federal .22 that I just paid $18 for from Cabela's on one hand, $570 IIRC for a Gen 4 G17 on the other.

I'll stick to Shooters Warehouse/TDS/J&G/SBR.