Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 06-20-2014, 5:30 PM

Default Ebola - new outbreak in Congo, May 12, 2017 UPDATE: 5/8/18

There's a story on yahoo about a massive Ebola outbreak in west Africa crossing into several states already WHO criticized for weak response...maybe time to do a quick stock check.
Old 06-20-2014, 5:34 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Link requires email to login.

Edit: PC doesn't. Mobile did.

Last edited by DavidR310; 06-20-2014 at 10:20 PM..
Old 07-26-2014, 7:38 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Ebola virus

Ebola is spreading across borders in West Africa.
Has reached at least one large city.
It can spread via air travel.
Any ideas on how to prep for an Ebola outbreak?
Here's some info from the LA Times on the current outbreak:
http://www.latimes.com/world/la-ebol...htmlstory.html

Last edited by mosin of nagareth; 07-27-2014 at 3:12 AM..
Old 07-26-2014, 8:07 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/prevention/index.html

Quote:
The prevention of Ebola HF presents many challenges. Because it is still unknown how exactly people are infected with Ebola HF, there are few established primary prevention measures.

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 07-26-2014, 8:30 PM
Veteran Member

At least look up what the hell you read in an article before spreading FUD.

Please change your title to reflect that Ebola (EHF) Ebola Hemorrhagic Fever has nothing to do with "flesh eating".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebola_virus_disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Gunman View Post
They want to be rulers. Well I don't effing want to be ruled, I want to be represented.

Last edited by Loubot10; 07-26-2014 at 8:30 PM.. Reason: Stoopid computer
Old 07-27-2014, 2:19 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontTreadOnMeBro714 View Post
Flesh eating bacteria is not a virus. It is a form of Strep that many of us have on us now (colonized) but not infected with it. Ebola is a virus, and does not cause "flesh eating" but hemorrhagic (bleeding) symptoms which kill the host. Droplet (masks) and contact isolation is the best means to prevent infection although personally I wouldn't feel safe unless in full pressurized biohazard suit w self contained breathing apparatus.
When I saw the title Never heard of a Flesh Eating Virus ever in Microbiology and in the medical field.

Are Viruses Living?

Let’s first define life. According to the online Merriam-Webster Dictionary, life is “an organismic state characterized by capacity for metabolism, growth, reaction to stimuli, and reproduction.”

Viruses are not living things. Viruses are complicated assemblies of molecules, including proteins, nucleic acids, lipids, and carbohydrates, but on their own they can do nothing until they enter a living cell. Without cells, viruses would not be able to multiply. Therefore, viruses are not living things.

They do NOT metabolize, grow etc. so they can NOT EAT. So NOT Flesh Eating

So now to answer the OP's question of how to prep. Prep as you would with Chemical attacks and any biological attacks. Hide in a contamination free area and keep outsiders from coming in, and if they must come in they must be isolated. Ebola has a short incubation period 2 to 21 days and if they are indeed infect their symptoms will be VERY obvious.

Have biological and chemical suit with a gas mask so you aren't exposed to potentially infected people.

Third world countries are more prone for Ebola outbreak because the lack of knowledge of how to recognize the symptoms, isolate and avoid spreading.

If a Ebola outbreak occurred in the USA or other medically advanced countries, it will be controlled, contained and isolated quickly.

Last edited by kel-tec-innovations; 07-27-2014 at 2:26 AM..
Old 07-27-2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kel-tec-innovations View Post
When I saw the title Never heard of a Flesh Eating Virus ever in Microbiology and in the medical field.

Are Viruses Living?

Let’s first define life. According to the online Merriam-Webster Dictionary, life is “an organismic state characterized by capacity for metabolism, growth, reaction to stimuli, and reproduction.”

Viruses are not living things. Viruses are complicated assemblies of molecules, including proteins, nucleic acids, lipids, and carbohydrates, but on their own they can do nothing until they enter a living cell. Without cells, viruses would not be able to multiply. Therefore, viruses are not living things.

They do NOT metabolize, grow etc. so they can NOT EAT. So NOT Flesh Eating

So now to answer the OP's question of how to prep. Prep as you would with Chemical attacks and any biological attacks. Hide in a contamination free area and keep outsiders from coming in, and if they must come in they must be isolated. Ebola has a short incubation period 2 to 21 days and if they are indeed infect their symptoms will be VERY obvious.

Have biological and chemical suit with a gas mask so you aren't exposed to potentially infected people.

Third world countries are more prone for Ebola outbreak because the lack of knowledge of how to recognize the symptoms, isolate and avoid spreading.

If a Ebola outbreak occurred in the USA or other medically advanced countries, it can be controlled, contained and isolated quickly.

Fixed t 4 u.

How certain are you, that an Ebola outbreak be contained? The virus can remain dormant(http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/symptoms/index.html) for 2-3 weeks b4 symptoms show. (Plenty of time for it to spread undetected)

Last edited by kbenson; 07-27-2014 at 10:08 AM..
Old 07-28-2014, 3:40 PM
Free at Last!
CGN Contributor

Upgrayed your foil
http://www.stampinup.com/ECWeb/Produ...oductID=132622

http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/...g=en&region=US

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0052E...&robot_redir=1
Old 07-28-2014, 8:46 PM

Per CDC website, transmission via blood or other body secretions as well as direct contact with objects (e.g. needles) contaminated to blood or secretions it doesn't sound like you need airborne precaution but rather droplet isolation however you can never be too careful.
Old 07-29-2014, 3:06 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosin of nagareth View Post
There are three different known strains of the Ebola Virus:

Ebola Sudan, Ebola Zaire, Ebola Reston.

One of the known strains can be transmitted via air, Ebola Reston, however, this particular strain has not (that we know of) jumped species from monkeys to humans.

Assuming we are dealing with one of the other known strains, basic prevention is the same as you would expect with any other virus that spreads through fluid contact.

If you are a reader, check out The Hot Zone by Richard Preston. Lots of info on prior Ebola and similar outbreaks. Fair warning, it will scare the sh*t out of you though.

"Far and away the best prize life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing." - Theodore Roosevelt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorris7556 View Post
They teach you secret stuff I can't mention on line.

Last edited by omgwtfbbq; 07-29-2014 at 3:53 PM..
Old 07-29-2014, 10:25 PM

Anyone out there think we should be taking this alot more seriously in terms of the potential havoc it can cause with about 60% mortality and only a plane ride away?
Old 07-29-2014, 10:34 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpkar View Post
Anyone out there think we should be taking this alot more seriously in terms of the potential havoc it can cause with about 60% mortality and only a plane ride away?
Yes, I do. I think some people are too freaked out about it, but the ones that have a more devil-may-care attitude, or worse, it-can't-happen-here mentality are the ones I think need to get their **** together.

These days it's far more possible for outbreaks to jump continents than in the past, and I have no real confidence that our government would manage the situation properly, or even respond quickly enough. Why should I when they are letting people with all sorts of diseases just walk over our southern border and then ship them around the company?

Okay, there is no TFH there, that is all fact and reasonable conjecture. If your government is going to ignore the diseases that come across borders, why not other diseases? TB isn't bad enough?

Government Official Lies
. F r e e d o m . D i e s .
Old 07-29-2014, 10:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by POLICESTATE View Post
Yes, I do. I think some people are too freaked out about it, but the ones that have a more devil-may-care attitude, or worse, it-can't-happen-here mentality are the ones I think need to get their **** together.

These days it's far more possible for outbreaks to jump continents than in the past, and I have no real confidence that our government would manage the situation properly, or even respond quickly enough. Why should I when they are letting people with all sorts of diseases just walk over our southern border and then ship them around the company?

Okay, there is no TFH there, that is all fact and reasonable conjecture. If your government is going to ignore the diseases that come across borders, why not other diseases? TB isn't bad enough?
http://pissinontheroses.blogspot.com...tion-kits.html

On April 8th Congress was informed by the the Department of Defense [DoD] that because of emerging threats JBAIDS hemorrhagic fever assays have been deployed to National Guard units of all 50 States.

. "By partnering with the U.S. Army Medical Research and Materiel Command and the Food and Drug Administration, we have made accessible additional diagnostic assays for high
consequence, low probability biological threat agents for use during declared public
health emergencies. This collaboration has facilitated the availability of viral hemorrhagic fever diagnostic assays for use during a declared emergency and adds
previously unavailable preparedness capabilities to this fielded system
Old 07-30-2014, 3:42 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by POLICESTATE View Post
I have no real confidence that our government would manage the situation properly, or even respond quickly enough. Why should I when they are letting people with all sorts of diseases just walk over our southern border and then ship them around the company?
It might fly across borders with diplomats just as easily as walking across with migrant workers. A pan-African airline just today stopped flights between two capitals after one of its passengers, a government employee from Liberia who flew to Nigeria, died of Ebola. Sure, it's still in Africa, but ...
Here's the story:
http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2...hts-over-ebola
Old 07-30-2014, 6:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpkar View Post
mortality rate is over 90%

its not spread in the air..you have to get it IN YOU...that means touch something with the virus on it...and have a break in your skin somewhere that it can get into...

then its like in the movies

So, when people who have it fly here and rub up against you you're gonna die

lets all PREP!
Old 07-30-2014, 6:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojournertruth View Post

its not spread in the air..you have to get it IN YOU...that means touch something with the virus on it...and have a break in your skin somewhere that it can get into...

lets all PREP!
You dont need break in skin, just contact. Like getting cold virus from door knobs. You touch somthing infected person touched then rub your mouth or eyes. Doctors wear protective suits but still get it sometimes.

Ebola then spreads in the community through human-to-human transmission, with infection resulting from direct contact (through broken skin or mucous membranes) with the blood, secretions, organs or other bodily fluids of infected people, and indirect contact with environments contaminated with such fluids

Last edited by bonusweb; 07-30-2014 at 7:12 AM..
Old 07-30-2014, 7:08 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojournertruth View Post

lets all PREP!
The 90% mortality rate is only pertanent to the Ebola Zaire strain of the virus. Reports thus far out of West Africa have been 60% mortality which suggests the strain is more likely to be Ebola Sudan, which has a mortality rate between 50-75% Still not anything to scoff at. You have a better chance of dying from the disease than winning a coin toss.

The issue with Ebola and diseases like it is that it causes the cell walls of the organs of the infected individual to break down and collapse, causing massive hemorrhaging, effectively liquifying the host from the inside. The blood and fluids come out through the indidividuals orifices as a means of spreading the virus to a new host. The later stages of the disease cause vomitting and seizures. A seizing, hemmorhaging patient throwing infected blood and fluids around is not only terrifying, but also a fairly effective means of transmission.

Although you're right, and skin to skin contact does not necessarily mean infection, you are wrong to assuming that it can only occur when someone has a break in their skin. There is only the need that infected fluids be exchanged in such a way that the virus can enter a person's blood. The dermus is not a complete barrier to the infiltration or release of fluids, even if unbroken by a scratch or wound.

As far as airborne transmission, as I previously stated, there is a strain of Ebola (Reston) that is airborne, it is however, harmless to humans (that we know of) and is also more common in the philippines, not Africa. However, this does suggest it is possible for one of the other known strains to mutate to allow for airborne transmission. Either way, I'm not besting my life against it.

"Far and away the best prize life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing." - Theodore Roosevelt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorris7556 View Post
They teach you secret stuff I can't mention on line.

Last edited by omgwtfbbq; 07-30-2014 at 7:10 AM..
Old 07-31-2014, 7:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosin of nagareth View Post
Ebola is spreading across borders in West Africa.
Has reached at least one large city.
Here's some info from the LA Times on the current outbreak:
http://www.latimes.com/world/la-ebol...htmlstory.html
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ngs-worse.html

Sierra Leone today declared a public health emergency to tackle the worst-ever outbreak of Ebola and will call in security forces to quarantine areas of the deadly virus

http://rt.com/news/176628-eu-ebola-high-alert/

A German hospital has agreed to treat Ebola patients amid widespread fears of a possible outbreak of the deadly disease in Europe. Over 670 people have already been killed by the disease in West Africa with doctors struggling to control the epidemic
Old 07-31-2014, 12:10 PM

According to CNN- The US has a plan to evacuate US citizens from Africa who are infected.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/31/health...html?hpt=hp_t2
Old 07-31-2014, 12:11 PM

As more people get infected, more chance that someone will get on a plane and take it someplace else. Early stages look a lot like the flu. A lot of people could get infected before is is caught, and then it could overwhelm the medical system. It has been 100 year since the last pandemic.

"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
-Gandhi
Old 07-31-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arslin View Post
As more people get infected, more chance that someone will get on a plane and take it someplace else. Early stages look a lot like the flu. A lot of people could get infected before is is caught, and then it could overwhelm the medical system. It has been 100 year since the last pandemic.
I don't think it would overwhelm the medical system.

no current cure for this. The only thing that they currently offer is IV and isolation.
Old 07-31-2014, 1:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbenson View Post
I don't think it would overwhelm the medical system.

no current cure for this. The only thing that they currently offer is IV and isolation.
Well since it is a virus, no cure is likely to be found. There is however treatment. IVs... as you said. Every person that gets a tickle in the throat will head to the ER sure that they have the virus, and wanting the best our medical system can provide. The sad part is that if the virus is out there, they only increase the chances of actually getting infected.

"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
-Gandhi
Old 07-31-2014, 1:17 PM

Default Ebola

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtfbbq View Post
The 90% mortality rate is only pertanent to the Ebola Zaire strain of the virus. Reports thus far out of West Africa have been 60% mortality which suggests the strain is more likely to be Ebola Sudan, which has a mortality rate between 50-75% Still not anything to scoff at. You have a better chance of dying from the disease than winning a coin toss.

The issue with Ebola and diseases like it is that it causes the cell walls of the organs of the infected individual to break down and collapse, causing massive hemorrhaging, effectively liquifying the host from the inside. The blood and fluids come out through the indidividuals orifices as a means of spreading the virus to a new host. The later stages of the disease cause vomitting and seizures. A seizing, hemmorhaging patient throwing infected blood and fluids around is not only terrifying, but also a fairly effective means of transmission.

Although you're right, and skin to skin contact does not necessarily mean infection, you are wrong to assuming that it can only occur when someone has a break in their skin. There is only the need that infected fluids be exchanged in such a way that the virus can enter a person's blood. The dermus is not a complete barrier to the infiltration or release of fluids, even if unbroken by a scratch or wound.

As far as airborne transmission, as I previously stated, there is a strain of Ebola (Reston) that is airborne, it is however, harmless to humans (that we know of) and is also more common in the philippines, not Africa. However, this does suggest it is possible for one of the other known strains to mutate to allow for airborne transmission. Either way, I'm not besting my life against it.
100% correct on all points. The versions of Ebola that infect humans cannot be transmitted person to person through the air like the common cold or the flu.

You have to come in direct contact with blood, sweat, or other bodily fluids. Transmission rates in W. Africa are so high due to cultural issues. The custom is for the family of the deceased to bathe and wash them prior the corpse being buried. Unfortunately, this usually means that whoever is doing the washing will become infected. It can be hard to break the cycle.

Should Ebola mutate to where it becomes airborne, then we have a worldwide problem on our hands. Even with the best medical care, half of those infected would die.
Old 07-31-2014, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSLguy View Post
100% correct on all points. The versions of Ebola that infect humans cannot be transmitted person to person through the air like the common cold or the flu.

You have to come in direct contact with blood, sweat, or other bodily fluids. Transmission rates in W. Africa are so high due to cultural issues. The custom is for the family of the deceased to bathe and wash them prior the corpse being buried. Unfortunately, this usually means that whoever is doing the washing will become infected. It can be hard to break the cycle.

Should Ebola mutate to where it becomes airborne, then we have a worldwide problem on our hands. Even with the best medical care, half of those infected would die.
sooo... how did the doctors get infected? I am very sure they took all standard precautions. I thought that it was not completely understood how it was transmitted. We are not talking one doctor, or even just an idiot doctor. Two American doctors, and the lead doctor of Liberia.

-Gandhi

Last edited by arslin; 07-31-2014 at 1:43 PM..
Old 07-31-2014, 1:50 PM

Default Ebola

Quote:
Originally Posted by arslin View Post
sooo... how did the doctors get infected? I am very sure they took all standard precautions. I thought that it was not completely understood how it was transmitted. We are not talking one doctor, or even just an idiot doctor. Two American doctors, and the lead doctor in one of Liberia.
I have no idea how they became infected. It is very well understood how Ebola is transmitted. It is not a particularly easy disease to get, but once you do get it, your chances of surviving are not good.

If any of the strains had mutated to become airborne like the flu or common cold then the rates of infection in W. Africa would have become sky high. They haven't and the only people speculating otherwise are simply uinformed.

If you actually read the articles discussing the outbreak, none of the medical professionals think that has happened. Some may opine that if it did happen, we'd be in deep sh*t, and I would agree with them.

Same goes for swine flu, bird flu, or a whole bunch of other nasties out there.

Really scary part is to realize that one day this WILL happen. It's an absolute certainty that we'll see a global pandemic at some point in the future that is capable of killing millions (or hundreds of millions). If we're lucky it won't happen until such time as our technology has increased to the point we can isolate the "bug", then create and distribute a vaccine in a very, very short period of time (think Star Trek technology). We are not close to that kind of technology yet. Maybe in a hundred years or more, so keep your fingers crossed that we are lucky enough to escape the mutuational roll of the dice until then.
Old 07-31-2014, 6:19 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbenson View Post
According to CNN- The US has a plan to evacuate US citizens from Africa who are infected.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/31/health...html?hpt=hp_t2
Emory University, right near CDC is getting a patient.
http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ebo...atient-n169951
Does this relocation from Africa indicate anything besides altruism?
Just how worried is the US Govt?
Is there more to the story maybe?
Old 07-31-2014, 9:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonusweb View Post
You dont need break in skin, just contact. Like getting cold virus from door knobs. You touch somthing infected person touched then rub your mouth or eyes. Doctors wear protective suits but still get it sometimes.

Ebola then spreads in the community through human-to-human transmission, with infection resulting from direct contact (through broken skin or mucous membranes) with the blood, secretions, organs or other bodily fluids of infected people, and indirect contact with environments contaminated with such fluids
completely false statement

it does not enter through the unbroken skin like magic...it is not "transdermal"

sure you can rub your yes or pick your nose or lick your fingers to get it in you too...but it doesn't just get in you by laying on your skin

you will be the first to go
Old 07-31-2014, 9:58 PM
Veteran Member

I have a feeling these missionary doctors are a little more "compassionate" than the regular US doctor. Sometimes that human interaction and belief in faith can lead to higher risk of transmission. I have seen many examples of this in the medical field. Think Mother Theresa caring for the lepers.

Here's a medical joke for you. What's the difference between god and a doctor?

God doesn't think he's a doctor.

Last edited by deckhandmike; 08-01-2014 at 12:32 AM..
Old 07-31-2014, 10:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Yeah, it might not be airborne but when a person sneezes or coughs fluid fly's through the air so I think thats why those doctors got sick. Thats why it might be dangerous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAMO556 View Post
Voting for Donald Trump is the protest vote against: Keynesian economics, Neocon wars, exporting jobs, open borders, Washington criminal cartel, too big to fail banks and too big to jail pols and banksters.

Cutting off foreign aid to EVERY country and dismantling the police/surveillance state!

Umm yeah!!!!!
Old 07-31-2014, 10:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yugo View Post
Yeah, it might not be airborne but when a person sneezes or coughs fluid fly's through the air so I think thats why those doctors got sick. Thats why it might be dangerous.
That's my concern as well.

We know how it's transmitted, although there have been some observations that it can become airborne but not yet confirmed:
Quote:
In the laboratory, infection through small-particle aerosols has been demonstrated in primates, and airborne spread among humans is strongly suspected, although it has not yet been conclusively demonstrated
Doctors take some crazy precautions and are still getting sick.

Here's what Doctors do to prevent exposure but it still didn't keep them safe:
Quote:
To minimise the risk of infection they have to wear thick rubber boots that come up to their knees, an impermeable body suit, gloves, a face mask, a hood and goggles to ensure no air at all can touch their skin.
At their camp they go through multiple decontaminations which includes spraying chlorine on their shoes.
If doctors are getting sick with that kind of prevention and decontamination, it doesn't really bode well for the rest of us.

And when you think of the spider web that would happen from just one flight... it's absolutely terrifying. Even that one doctor that died when trying to fly back here to the US... officials are trying to contact 30k people who may have been exposed to him. Imagine how many people those 30k have now been exposed to a few days later.

At this point we're watching from afar. But it really will just take one outbreak and then it's game over in the US. Just think of what the .gov will do.

Federal law already exists that will allow for them to 'apprehend and examination of any individual reasonably believed to be infected with a communicable disease'. And those individuals can be 'detained for such time and in such manner as may be reasonably necessary'.

I'm on the fence about this law and it's implications. While I think quarantining people exposed to such a deadly and communicable disease is prudent, I don't really know what their definition of 'reasonably believed' means or how long is 'reasonably necessary'. I need to give this some more thought. I would hope that the .gov wouldn't abuse or misuse this power but history says otherwise plus I'm not in the least bit confident they would have any clue how to do it properly.

Anyhow, I'm following it pretty closely and it's absolutely horrifying.

Edited to highlight the doctor's procedures as I think that's the most important thing in my post to point out that they are still getting sick even with those procedures.
WTB: multiautomatic ghost gun with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Must include shoulder thing that goes up. Memberships/Affiliations: CERT, ARRL ARES, NRA Patron Member, HRC, CGN/CGSSA, Cal-FFL
Old 07-31-2014, 11:00 PM

Its 120 degrees out and your in a suit thats 200 degrees... staff has been known to reduce there protection so its cooler.

Just because procedures are written down does not mean they are followed 24/7
Old 07-31-2014, 11:12 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindwip View Post
Its 120 degrees out and your in a suit thats 200 degrees... staff has been known to reduce there protection so its cooler.

Just because procedures are written down does not mean they are followed 24/7
I understand and I'm sure that happens. But one doctor deciding to take off their gear risks the rest of the doctors and their camp. So I'm pretty sure that the other doctors would not be ok with that when they are all suited up.

Maybe they would, I don't know.
Just saying, I have a feeling when dealing with a deadly diseases, they wear the gear.

Edited to include 'not' in my second sentence as I apparently fail at typing today
WTB: multiautomatic ghost gun with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Must include shoulder thing that goes up. Memberships/Affiliations: CERT, ARRL ARES, NRA Patron Member, HRC, CGN/CGSSA, Cal-FFL

Last edited by kaligaran; 07-31-2014 at 11:18 PM..
Old 08-01-2014, 2:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaligaran View Post
I understand and I'm sure that happens. But one doctor deciding to take off their gear risks the rest of the doctors and their camp. So I'm pretty sure that the other doctors would not be ok with that when they are all suited up.

Maybe they would, I don't know.
Just saying, I have a feeling when dealing with a deadly diseases, they wear the gear.

Edited to include 'not' in my second sentence as I apparently fail at typing today
http://www.msdsonline.com/resources/...ola-virus.aspx

Humans may be infected by handling sick or dead non-human primates and are also at risk when handling the bodies of deceased humans in preparation for funerals, suggesting possible transmission through aerosol droplets (2, 6, 28). In the laboratory, infection through small-particle aerosols has been demonstrated in primates, and airborne spread among humans is strongly suspected, although it has not yet been conclusively demonstrated (1, 6, 13). The importance of this route of transmission is not clear. Poor hygienic conditions can aid the spread of the virus (6

COMMUNICABILITY: Communicable as long as blood, secretions, organs, or semen contain the virus. Ebola virus has been isolated from semen 61 days after the onset of illness, and transmission through semen has occurred 7 weeks after clinical recovery (1, 2).

New July 3st. Wonder what they are not telling us about airborne.

http://m.whitehouse.gov/the-press-of...cable-diseases

Executive Order -- Revised List of Quarantinable Communicable Diseases

) Severe acute respiratory syndromes, which are diseases that are associated with fever and signs and symptoms of pneumonia or other respiratory illness, are capable of being transmitted from person to person, and that either are causing, or have the potential to cause, a pandemic, or, upon infection, are highly likely to cause mortality or serious morbidity if not properly controlled. This subsection does not apply to influenza."

Last edited by bonusweb; 08-01-2014 at 7:12 AM..
Old 08-01-2014, 9:43 AM
Veteran Member

I saw that new Executive Order. Pretty scary stuff.

Most people I've talked to have the 'it's not happening here' mentality.

Now we're transporting a known infected to Atlanta... this could get very serious very quickly:
http://www.ajc.com/news/news/breakin...patient/ngrtm/
Old 08-01-2014, 9:44 AM

I saw a few images of the staff wearing protective gear.

in one of the images, I saw @ least one staff member which had no protection above his/hr goggles - until the top of hood. Basically forehead exposed.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:20 AM

This is from 2012 BBC:

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-20341423

"In experiments, they demonstrated that the virus was transmitted from pigs to monkeys without any direct contact between them.

The researchers say they believe that limited airborne transmission might be contributing to the spread of the disease in some parts of Africa."

"One of the scientists involved is Dr Gary Kobinger from the National Microbiology Laboratory at the Public Health Agency of Canada. He told BBC News this was the most likely route of the infection.

"What we suspect is happening is large droplets - they can stay in the air, but not long, they don't go far," he ( Dr Gary Kobinger) explained."

So, it is technically NOT air born, but it is close. Air born required that it have no liquid substance to survive. The the termainal stage of this virus is (by my understanding) messy. Body fluids going all over the place.

-Gandhi

Last edited by arslin; 08-01-2014 at 10:23 AM..
Old 08-01-2014, 11:36 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Now we're transporting a known infected to Atlanta... this could get very serious very quickly:
Yes this is very stupid of the people in charge doing this, I feel bad for the guy but bringing him here is just retarded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAMO556 View Post
Voting for Donald Trump is the protest vote against: Keynesian economics, Neocon wars, exporting jobs, open borders, Washington criminal cartel, too big to fail banks and too big to jail pols and banksters.

Cutting off foreign aid to EVERY country and dismantling the police/surveillance state!

Umm yeah!!!!!
Old 08-01-2014, 11:40 AM

Tenn. Man in Quarantine After Ebola Outbreak: 'I'm Feeling Well"

http://abcnews.go.com/US/tenn-man-qu...ry?id=24810734

Since landing in the U.S., he said he's had no physical contact with anyone and has only been near his daughter, who picked him up from the airport. Jamison said he plans to hole up at home until the 21-day incubation period is completed.

Can someone explain how quarantine from potential ebola exposure = ""hole u @ home"?
Old 08-01-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:

Same here
most folks in my family excluding my immediate family as well as close friends think its can't happen here
I've been telling them to have at least 3 months worth of supplies because if it does become a pandemic staying indoors is the best thing to do
Old 08-01-2014, 12:55 PM
CGSSA Associate

Try to get them to read The Jakarta Pandemic. Maybe start with getting them to play Pandemic Board Game

The truth is, people do not want reality destroying their fantasy. To some degree, people are incapable of the truth that at any moment they could die. We must all believe to some degree that we can't die. Not everyone can have a prepper mindset because there is a mental balance required that not everyone is capable of. They simply do not want to live their lives in fear, the truth that a pandemic could happen one day, a nuclear war the next is too much for them. Preppers strike an interesting balance, in that they are afraid these things might happen but do not cower or turn from it hoping to ignore it. Instead we face our fears and prepare to fight against it for the right to live.