Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 09-21-2010, 7:37 PM

Default 22mph speed limit??? points? price??

anyone know how many points i would get for doing 57 in a 35 (residential zone) ??

also anyone know roughly the price??

(16 with no prior tickets.)

also, if anyone wants to look its on, "Lost canyon rd. in santa clarita 91387."

if you look and drive the road its a very open road with never any traffic on it, could i be justified to argue it was safe speeds?
Old 09-21-2010, 7:46 PM

I am just a county mountie, and don't do much traffic, but I think if its over 20, you can't do traffic school and the fine increases...by how much it will be determined by the court. You may want to call the court the citation was written into and ask for more information.
Old 09-21-2010, 7:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datdarkness View Post
anyone know how many points i would get for doing 57 in a 35 (residential zone) ??

if you look and drive the road its a very open road with never any traffic on it, could i be justified to argue it was safe speeds?
You would have a tough time justifiying the speeds. I believe, 16-25mph over all carry the same fine. If you were doing it, your best bet would be to admit it and go to traffic school, if allowed (ask the judge). Not sure on points.
Old 09-21-2010, 7:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triad View Post
I am just a county, mount me
Maybe after dinner and a movie!
Old 09-21-2010, 7:49 PM

www.ticketbust.com
It works
Old 09-21-2010, 7:53 PM

Quote:

(16 with no prior tickets.) 16 what? I would assume you mean you been driving for 16 yrs?

not sure, but in Riverside county, I was driving at 42mph in a 25mph zone not a school zone by the way the ticket + 25 to take the class + the 40 for the class was about $400 hope that helps.
Old 09-21-2010, 7:54 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Most residential zones are 25 MPH

It varies too much because you are a minor

It's 1 point, but you have a provisional license, so the traffic judge/referee could give you a 'time out' just on this.

Not likely, but you might make yourself look silly trying to convince someone.
57 MPH is WAY TOO FAST for a residential area, even if it has been upgraded to a 35 MPH zone.

SLOW DOWN and learn from this mistake.

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DOJ Certified Instructor
Old 09-21-2010, 7:56 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2203 View Post
really?

Or do you just hate her so much you can't let go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron-Solo View Post
57 MPH is WAY TOO FAST for a residential area, even if it has been upgraded to a 35 MPH zone.

SLOW DOWN and learn from this mistake.
i usually am slower, but ALL traffic on that street is about 50-60. if you google map it you can see, its residential, but not near any houses or anything.

and by 16, i meant i am 16 Years old
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

A lot will depend on the judge should you choose to appear. Unfortunately at 16, with a 22 mph over speeding ticket, it could be a memorable experience.
Old 09-21-2010, 7:58 PM

also... RON SOLO, what do you mean by time out??? a suspension or void the points?
Old 09-21-2010, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Ticketbust.com Service Fee - $100.00 must be received 14 days prior to due date (if you have paid by credit card you do not need to send a check) Money-back guarantee applies to the Ticketbust.com Service Fee only
Ticketbust.com Court Document Processing Fee - $149.00 must be received 14 days prior to due date (if you have paid by credit card you do not need to send a check) Money-back guarantee does not apply to the Court Document Processing Fee
Old 09-21-2010, 8:11 PM

Quote:

Haha was it by chance written by a Deputy Rou**? I live right up the street by the way. Also what the hell are you doing driving 57mph on lost cyn, thats insane.
Old 09-21-2010, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudeboy3 View Post
Haha was it by chance written by a Deputy Rou**? I live right up the street by the way. Also what the hell are you doing driving 57mph on lost cyn, thats insane.
im not sure the name, but most likely same guy, on a bike.

i ALWAYS see him with someone, ALWAYS.

you know its easy to go that on that street haha, just a natural feel that is badd hah
Old 09-21-2010, 8:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
also... RON SOLO, what do you mean by time out??? a suspension or void the points?
You have a provisional license, which means the judge or DMV has the ability to suspend for even a first offense to get your attention. I've seen Juvenile Court Referees do two week to thirty day suspensions on something like this.

When you go to court (you must take a parent) don't be a smart ..... and make it clear to the judge you understand the dangers of your speed and your responsibility as a driver. That way, he/she will be less inclined to give you a time out.

and that "ticket buster" thing is no magic wand. Save your money.

You do have the right to ask the officer questions. Make your questions to the point and stick to the facts of your incident. Making statements about other cars speeding, etc, will get you nowhere.

Speed limits are posted based on traffic engineering studies, which must be done by law before posting speed limits. Cities and counties can not post arbitrary speed limits. Trying argue that 57 is safe is not going to get you anywhere.

Review your driving habits. I got my only ticket at 18, and it changed the way I drove ever since.

Aloha,

Ron

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DOJ Certified Instructor
Old 09-21-2010, 8:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

One strategy is to complete traffic school prior to going into court. It would not satisfy the "normal" traffic school option since that has to be done after appearing. So if you were given traffic school, you might have to repeat it again.

That said, it would certainly demonstrate your proactive nature to address the problem and MAY help when you appear. Similar to DUI drivers starting AA before their court date.
Old 09-21-2010, 8:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAShooter View Post
One strategy is to complete traffic school prior to going into court. It would not satisfy the "normal" traffic school option since that has to be done after appearing. So if you were given traffic school, you might have to repeat it again.

That said, it would certainly demonstrate your proactive nature to address the problem and MAY help when you appear. Similar to DUI drivers starting AA before their court date.
Not always available for juveniles. The rules for juvenile traffic court are different from adult traffic court.

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DOJ Certified Instructor
Old 09-21-2010, 9:05 PM

Thanks for all the info guys
Old 09-21-2010, 9:13 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Not always available for juveniles. The rules for juvenile traffic court are different from adult traffic court.
Understood, but I don't think anything restricts him from taking the course on his own proactively. It may or may not make any difference.
Old 09-21-2010, 9:38 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Traffic school tip for real life:
Every time you drive, you put your entire life and future on the line.
If you kill or injure someone, it might put you in jail or bankrupt you for life.
Whatever you are doing when driving should be defensible in front of a jury.
Govern yourself accordingly.
Old 09-21-2010, 9:56 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojisan View Post
If you kill or injure someone, it might put you in jail or bankrupt you for life.
True words

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DOJ Certified Instructor
Old 09-21-2010, 11:16 PM
Calguns Addict

did they use radar ? if so is there a current enginering speed survey to justify it > if not it is a speed trap and you win. also see CVC 22351 which says you can exceed the posted limit based on the conditions of the road if it is prudent to do so.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saym14 View Post
did they use radar ? if so is there a current enginering speed survey to justify it > if not it is a speed trap and you win. also see CVC 22351 which says you can exceed the posted limit based on the conditions of the road if it is prudent to do so.
Can he do trial by declaration as a juvenile? If so, he should first attempt that. If it fails, he can still request de novo, request discovery based on what was originally presented to the court, show up and blow the prosecution (the arresting officer) out of the water (hyperbolic I know, but every speeder's fantasy).

Honestly, I would attempt the trial by declaration in hopes that the officer doesn't respond (since unlike a court day, he won't be paid for his testimony) and cough up the fine and go on with life if it fails.

Life after your first traffic citation does go on. I obtained my license as a (very immature) adult in Michigan. My first ticket was for 55 in a 25, my uncle managed to get that changed by the judge into an impeding traffic citation (same fine, no points); a few months later, I got my second ticket: 80 in a 50 (the officer gave me a huge break: I was actually going about 85 and I hit the gas instead of the brake initially before I came to my senses, I'd like to find that guy and thank him some time).

You screwed up. You might manage to avoid the fine and the points, but I really hope you learn from your mistake before you or someone else is hurt. I too know that stretch of road and that speed simply is not safe under any circumstances. Not only do cars cheat corners, but you can occasionally come upon very slow moving traffic beyond a blind curve and you might not have time to stop.

Ryan
Bless, O Lord, this creature beer, which thou hast deigned to produce from the fat of grain: that it may be a salutary remedy to the human race, and grant through the invocation of thy holy name; that, whoever shall drink it, may gain health in body and peace in soul. Through Christ our Lord. Amen
Old 09-21-2010, 11:46 PM

16 y/o + 57 in a 35...too many times that equals tragedy...I did my share of speeding in my youth...one of the most cruel ironies in life is trying to convince younger generations that what they are doing is incredibly dangerous...knowing I heard the same things and chose to ignore them...PLEASE, slow down...the risk you'll hurt or kill someone, or yourself, increases so dramatically the faster you go. Appearances are so deceiving...you say it's a wide open road...at that speed could you adequately avoid an animal darting across? And add oncoming traffic to that scenario and you can see how things can go down hill very quickly.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:40 AM
Calguns Addict

Maybe they will take your license. That would be a shame, all those people that get to live because YOUR NOT SPEEDING WITH NO REAL DRIVING EXPERIENCE!!!!!!!
I hope you don't treat gun safety the same way you drive.
Old 09-22-2010, 5:12 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojisan View Post
Nice summary. Good advice for every time you pull the trigger.
Old 09-22-2010, 6:22 AM
Veteran Member

Buy a radar detector.....saved me many a dollar.

Pays for itself and then some the first time it saves you!

But seriously...slow down.
Old 09-22-2010, 6:34 AM
You're a daisy if you do!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
You have a provisional license, which means the judge or DMV has the ability to suspend for even a first offense to get your attention. I've seen Juvenile Court Referees do two week to thirty day suspensions on something like this.

When you go to court (you must take a parent) don't be a smart ..... and make it clear to the judge you understand the dangers of your speed and your responsibility as a driver. That way, he/she will be less inclined to give you a time out.

and that "ticket buster" thing is no magic wand. Save your money.

You do have the right to ask the officer questions. Make your questions to the point and stick to the facts of your incident. Making statements about other cars speeding, etc, will get you nowhere.

Speed limits are posted based on traffic engineering studies, which must be done by law before posting speed limits. Cities and counties can not post arbitrary speed limits. Trying argue that 57 is safe is not going to get you anywhere.

Review your driving habits. I got my only ticket at 18, and it changed the way I drove ever since.

Aloha,

Ron
It is quite likely there will be a restriction or suspension of the license. Additionaly, any such restriction or suspension will be in place until the OP is 18. I seem to remember seeing this all on the DMV site at some point.

Mr. President, I can't take any more winning! Make it stop Mr. President. The winning is YUGGEEEE!

"If you've got a problem with the US, you better make sure it's not a military problem." SSgt Leslie Edwards
Old 09-22-2010, 8:30 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlookin1 View Post
Buy a radar detector.....saved me many a dollar.

Pays for itself and then some the first time it saves you!

But seriously...slow down.
You'd be better served spending the cash on an EoTech or something....I write people with radar detectors all day long
Old 09-24-2010, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saym14 View Post
LOL, whatever you do, don't listen to this clown.

Please take the officer to court so he can get 4 hours of OT for making you look stupid. You were going too fast, end of story.

I would have cited you 22349(b) VC, exceeding the maximum speed limit on any two lane highway (I assume it's two lanes).. 55+ mph or more.

22350 VC refers to an Unsafe speed due to conditions.. can you recall what the conditions were? are their any bends/turns in the road? how narrow is it? is there wildlife that crosses the road? was it night/day? wet/dry? There's more to it than any engineering survey they may or may not have on file.

If it was a motor officer, this is all they do. Traffic enforcement. that's their bread and butter.

Speed traps are illegal in California. But go into court and say that and you will only piss the judge off cause you have no idea what you're talking about.

Pay your fine, do traffic school (if it's an option) and slow down.

Edit: Fine is usually around 250+ plus 1 point (which you can take away if you have traffic school as an option)

Last edited by Uhhlexxxis; 09-24-2010 at 8:11 PM..
Old 09-24-2010, 8:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal2310 View Post
Can he do trial by declaration as a juvenile? If so, he should first attempt that.

NO. Not in Juvenile Traffic Court in LA County

If it fails, he can still request de novo, request discovery based on what was originally presented to the court, show up and blow the prosecution (the arresting officer) out of the water (hyperbolic I know, but every speeder's fantasy).

Discovery would be a copy of the ticket, which he already has received.

Honestly, I would attempt the trial by declaration in hopes that the officer doesn't respond (since unlike a court day, he won't be paid for his testimony) and cough up the fine and go on with life if it fails.

The response if filled out while on duty, so he/she does get paid for it
Radar detectors work on the principle that it picks up the radar signal. If you are picking up my radar, that means I've already got you.

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DOJ Certified Instructor
Old 09-24-2010, 8:31 PM
You're a daisy if you do!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Radar detectors work on the principle that it picks up the radar signal. If you are picking up my radar, that means I've already got you.
This ^^^

Funny... Many year ago while a friend and I were driving to college... Friend got busted for speed, when the officer told him I saw you doing XXX miles /hr and my friend says "I did not even you you." Response was well it does not matter if you see me, what matters is if I see you.

So true on the radar, once the detector beeps you are had.

Mr. President, I can't take any more winning! Make it stop Mr. President. The winning is YUGGEEEE!

"If you've got a problem with the US, you better make sure it's not a military problem." SSgt Leslie Edwards
Old 09-24-2010, 11:33 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAlexander View Post
So true on the radar, once the detector beeps you are had.
Yup, and its really obviose who has a detector. I get my speed reading then see the car go into a panic stricken brake application.
Old 09-25-2010, 7:42 AM

18yrs old 65+ in a 15mph zone
outcome he broke his hand and did front end damage to his car while sending me to the hospital for 2 weeks and totaling out my brand new car.

If you insist on going fast take it to the track I promise you will never have a better time
Old 09-25-2010, 8:40 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishJoe3 View Post
You'd be better served spending the cash on an EoTech or something....I write people with radar detectors all day long
Old 09-25-2010, 8:52 AM

Don't just buy any radar detector. Get a valentine one. And with the money you save not getting tickets, you can get an eotech too.
Old 09-25-2010, 8:52 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
i usually am slower, but ALL traffic on that street is about 50-60. if you google map it you can see, its residential, but not near any houses or anything.

and by 16, i meant i am 16 Years old
Hey Kid, SLOW DOWN.
Old 09-25-2010, 9:43 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Don't just buy any radar detector. Get a valentine one. And with the money you save not getting tickets, you can get an eotech too.
Old 09-25-2010, 9:53 AM

got to court, you might get lucky like i have, i have gone 2 times to fight it, but the officers were no shows, so they dismissed the charges under lack of prosecution. try it out, you might get lucky,
Old 09-25-2010, 9:54 AM
Veteran Member

Datdarkness multiple mistakes made on your part
first excessive speed
second you dont have experience behind the wheel on public roads
third you got caught

I can pretty well assume not ALL the traffic on that road does that speed
the word ALL gets you into trouble
also I can pretty well assume that there is some traffic and instead of there is NEVER any traffic
the word NEVER gets you into trouble

its a little hard to justify 22mph over on a city road

I am a 19 year old
my first encounter with the boys in blue, I deserved a laundry list and was given a warning
this I really learned from and things changed
second was a talking on the cellphone ticket, that I beat as I hadnt been on the cellphone in over 4 hours
I was also using that hand at the time the officer stopped me to up shift into 5th gear

take a look at this
http://www.drivingconcepts.com/
Driving concepts Teen car control clinic
I took this course and now help with it as I see what an impression it makes