Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 12-03-2009, 1:03 PM

Default 1950's Childbirth Training Video

So back when I was a Junior in High school, I was taking a Criminal Justice class. Our teacher was old school. She had been a Deputy for awhile back in the day. Some of you may actually know her (she seems to know a lot of people).

So one day she brings out this old movie projector and puts on this video that looked like it was filmed in the 1950's. It was a training video for either the CHP or LA Sheriffs. The acting was REALLY bad, but it was hilarious. This lady is about to have a kid, so they put her in the back seat of the unit and pull her dress up.

All the students in the class were thinking this was going to be "Rated G". Boy were we wrong. Her water breaks and she starts to crown. All the guys in the class were dry heaving. Then the baby comes out and the placenta follows soon after and some kid says, "She was hiding drugs in that bag!".

So the officer cuts the cord and puts the placenta in a bag and that basically it.

Anyone else seen this movie?
Old 12-03-2009, 4:05 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbagump View Post
So back when I was a Junior in High school, I was taking a Criminal Justice class. Our teacher was old school. She had been a Deputy for awhile back in the day. Some of you may actually know her (she seems to know a lot of people).

So one day she brings out this old movie projector and puts on this video that looked like it was filmed in the 1950's. It was a training video for either the CHP or LA Sheriffs. The acting was REALLY bad, but it was hilarious. This lady is about to have a kid, so they put her in the back seat of the unit and pull her dress up.

All the students in the class were thinking this was going to be "Rated G". Boy were we wrong. Her water breaks and she starts to crown. All the guys in the class were dry heaving. Then the baby comes out and the placenta follows soon after and some kid says, "She was hiding drugs in that bag!".

So the officer cuts the cord and puts the placenta in a bag and that basically it.

Anyone else seen this movie?

I don't recall seeing it, but about that bolded part; I'm pretty sure it was the CHP since they are bad actors after all.
Old 12-03-2009, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired View Post
I don't recall seeing it, but about that bolded part; I'm pretty sure it was the CHP since they are bad actors after all.
All roads and all codes but they can't act......
Old 12-03-2009, 4:41 PM
Administrator

I googled "1950 lasd childbirth training film," and tho nothing from the 1950s came up, the first item listed shows a live birth in a car with Berkeley PD involved. It was a training film from 1966. The acting was horrible, but it does show a live birth.

Even tho it appears the birth took place in a car, I doubt if it did. I think it was just set up to look like it.

Any lasd member here can probably check the actual media records and could probably ascertain if there was such a training film. Being retired, I don't have that access anymore.

I was in a couple, but certainly not that type nor from that era (before someone suggests I am that old).
Old 12-03-2009, 4:51 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I've seen this sort of thing before, it's not pretty

and it gets worser

and even worser....sort of like a car crash in slow motion

Or do you just hate her so much you can't let go?
Old 12-03-2009, 5:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I googled "1950 lasd childbirth training film," and tho nothing from the 1950s came up,

I just googled the same thing and the first thing to come up was.... OMG

Old 12-03-2009, 5:36 PM

Quote:
I googled "1950 lasd childbirth training film," and tho nothing from the 1950s came up, the first item listed shows a live birth in a car with Berkeley PD involved. It was a training film from 1966. The acting was horrible, but it does show a live birth.

Even tho it appears the birth took place in a car, I doubt if it did. I think it was just set up to look like it.

Any lasd member here can probably check the actual media records and could probably ascertain if there was such a training film. Being retired, I don't have that access anymore.

I was in a couple, but certainly not that type nor from that era (before someone suggests I am that old).
You found it!

Its called "SUDDEN BIRTH"

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/vi...ergency-50607/
Old 12-03-2009, 5:50 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

ok, sure, but this is the part thatt freeked me out

Old 12-03-2009, 5:59 PM
Calguns Addict

that looks like a better movie than the one we watched in the academy.

i don't know who made it, but it looked like it was one a garage and on a table. it was supposed to be a doctor and his wife filming her giving birth...i'll bet he got to write that off on his taxes.

the first comment from the recruits was "ED (the class rah rah) go bit off those hemorrhoids for her"...it's a dangerous thing to turn off the lights in a classroom, we were lucky the instructor was cool
Old 12-03-2009, 6:14 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

WOW!, they don't leave a damb thing to the imagination,now do they

Old 12-03-2009, 6:22 PM

In cases like what was shown in the film, you should wear your rain gear... and a catcher's mitt.
Old 12-03-2009, 6:22 PM
Calguns Addict

i think the first time you see it happening in real life isn't the time to be surprised
Old 12-03-2009, 8:53 PM

NO NO NO Hold it in until the FD gets here. Station H we need paramedics code 3 like yesterday!!!!! OHH GOD I knew I should have called off tonight!!!

Seriously I watched all three of my kids born but never even came close to seeing it in the field. It’s about the only thing I never saw while working a beat car.
Old 12-03-2009, 8:58 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I watched my son be born C-section... sorta like the cafeteria scene in the original "Alien" but you can smell them cauterizing the incision

Old 12-03-2009, 10:11 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post
I just googled the same thing and the first thing to come up was.... OMG

That's pretty funny; I'm finally first at something.

bubbagump, I thought you said 1950s; the one I found was 1966. Oh, just reread what you wrote: "It looked like it was filmed in the 1950s."

Yeah, even tho it said 1966, it did look 50ish. Still, lousy acting. If you read the comments on the site, one of the posters said his mom was in charge of the script or something like that.
Old 12-04-2009, 3:55 PM

Wow! that is funny
Old 12-04-2009, 9:01 PM

While attending first responded update class, we had the lead jail nurse tell us to utilize our shoe laces to tie off the umbilical cord then use our pocket knife to cut the cord. I’m not so sure it’s sanitary to use a knife I normally scrape false tabs off with or the boots I occasionally step in cow crap with; but hell, he’s the nurse. I can say I’ve caught a child before, as my wife is a bit of a hippie and my last daughter was born in a birthing tub in the nursery at home (circa 2006). For those of you that may think a baby should be born in a hospital, we had a nurse midwife sitting nearby.
Old 12-04-2009, 9:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Saw that back in the LASD Academy in '78. BAD acting

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DOJ Certified Instructor