Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism > Temp Post-Duncan Mag Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2019, 10:15 AM

Default It's not all fun and games...

After getting my mags I had to completely re-arrange and re-balance my plate carrier to hold all of that additional freedom. Oh, and my thumb is sore
Old 04-08-2019, 10:38 AM
Calguns Addict

Magpul short 7.62 mag = .78 pounds
Magpul D-50 = 4.45 pounds
Old 04-08-2019, 1:15 PM

I'm carrying something like 10lbs of ammo and mags. Suspiciously comfortable since I switched to poly plates. Now it's essentially a LBV that happens to be 3a rated.
Old 04-08-2019, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
After getting my mags I had to completely re-arrange and re-balance my plate carrier to hold all of that additional freedom. Oh, and my thumb is sore
On what occasions do you wear your plate carrier?

Lacking in tactical gear myself and just want to learn how or why folks are geared up.
Old 04-08-2019, 4:59 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it
Old 04-08-2019, 5:40 PM

Agreed.

I have fire extinguishers I hope to never use as well as insurance, etc.

Lacking in gear, I’ve always wondered how to carry mags, or be dressed while in my house during the next civil uprising.

I live in the bay area and don’t trust the locals to act like mid westerners during a natural disaster. An earthquake that knocks out power, water and gas for weeks may be a trigger for those who would riot at the drop of a hat.

And that’s just the tip of the iceberg.

Old 04-08-2019, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brush Guard View Post

Lacking in tactical gear myself and just want to learn how or why folks are geared up.
Short answer is I was stuck in a house for two weeks during hurricane Harvey in Houston and it made me realize just how vulnerable we are without readily available medical help.

If I got shot by a gang of looters a wound that isn't immediately fatal might kill you... eventually.

Situation two was when we evacuated during the wildfires. I felt really freaking vulnerable stuck in traffic with flames coming down the mountains towards us

So civil unrest during natural disasters basically.
Old 04-08-2019, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brush Guard View Post

Some tactical shooting classes at ranges... wearing armor is a good idea.....
Old 04-08-2019, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_ View Post
Some tactical shooting classes at ranges... wearing armor is a good idea.....
Train like you fight, fight like you train, otherwise you're just LARPing. Poly is so lightweight and affordable that it was an easy choice to go, if I need a way to carry my gear anyway, isn't it worth it to make the sucker stab, impact, and bullet resistant for a minimal weight penalty?

Another benefit of having a legit plate carrier that's always RTG is that in an emergency you can grab it, you don't even have to put it on, but if you grab it and the firearms it goes with you know that everything you need to fight is there and it's accessible. It's basically part of my BOB.

Another thing I forgot to mention was that body armor is surprisingly warm. Unless you're slapping on AR-500 plates that are ice cold your plate carrier and armor is going to insulate you and help keep you warm at night. Not fun to wear in insane summer heat though.

Last edited by Apollo; 04-08-2019 at 9:41 PM..
Old 04-09-2019, 2:41 AM

Seeing what happened in the la riots was all I needed to convince me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 04-09-2019, 4:38 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
Short answer is I was stuck in a house for two weeks during hurricane Harvey in Houston and it made me realize just how vulnerable we are without readily available medical help.

If I got shot by a gang of looters a wound that isn't immediately fatal might kill you... eventually.

Situation two was when we evacuated during the wildfires. I felt really freaking vulnerable stuck in traffic with flames coming down the mountains towards us

So civil unrest during natural disasters basically.
In a situation like that is your plate carrier full of mags for your CCW? Or are you full blown open carry at that point?
Old 04-09-2019, 6:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey_Tango View Post
In a situation like that is your plate carrier full of mags for your CCW? Or are you full blown open carry at that point?
I think the OP is trying to say " I have lived the nightmare, next time I will be fully prepared to protect my family and be in control of my family's fate"

Parading up and down the street like a bada55 thug is most likely his last thought.

PTSD is common for all types of stress. " A disorder in which a person has difficulty recovering after experiencing or witnessing a terrifying event. "
Maybe his way of dealing with his experience is taking back the power.
We all have different life styles. Stuck in a house for two weeks would make me reevaluate my ability to survive.

Who are prepared to take control at a drop of a hat?
Gangs, the hierarchy is already in place and so is the mind set.

I have talked to my neighbors and have agreed on what house has the best, defensible location, water, food and power.
If someone asks for help they will get it.
If someone wants to take, we will see.

Feeling safe today and tomorrow is all we ask.

My .02
Old 04-09-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey_Tango View Post
I'm no Billy bad-@$$ walking around in armor thinking I'm Rambo. Seeing as my goal is to not get shot I'd do what I did during Houston, hunker down in the house with supplies at which point the concern is looters (who had stolen boats and were raiding whatever was above the water line). So unless someone comes through trying to steal the wheels off of my Jeep, which was very common, nobody is going to know I'm armored.

In the case of an evacuation, chances are I'm leaving in my Jeep so probably just toss my PC in the passenger side footwell with a jacket over it to hide it. Then depending on the given situation I've got it if I need it.

I'm not going to be living in my armor in either situation. I think what people don't realize about looters is that they don't just descend like a zombie horde. They case the neighborhood, see what looks easy to take, maybe circle through again, then do their thing.

Strange car at the end of the driveway during civil unrest? Make a note. Same car again? Maybe consider gearing up.

As for the PTSD comment, it's more like going camping and realizing that you forgot your first aid kit. You go, wow I probably should have brought one of those in case something bad happens.

It's realizing that you were unprepared for something and deciding to do better next time. Learning from your experiences.

Last edited by Apollo; 04-09-2019 at 2:49 PM..