Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism > Temp Post-Duncan Mag Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2019, 1:45 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Anyone else already second guessing decisions?

This is not a humble or any other kind of brag.

Its an introspection for people younger than me while there is still time to buy MORE.

Im old as eff. I was fortunate enough to have had money and a wife that understood my position in the 1990s.

Consequently, when the first rumblings of statewide bans kicked in, i bought some stuff. Then, i bought mags for stuff i didnt even own. I bought 10 mags for every platform i thought i was likely to buy. So my AR mags sre old school aluminum 30 rounders. I baby them, and have a few Orlites for banging around.

When this very fortunate event happened, my first reaction was “GLOCK 19 and 33 rounders!!!” because i carry that one, and my old as eff 15 rounders are gen 1 non drop free mags, requiring an extra reload step.

Had to catch as catch can, ordering what i could find where i could get it, but i got 5 15s and 10 33s, but i split those with a buddy.

Then i thought, wait, that 10/22 that i tricked out could always use some non 10 rounders, couldnt it?

It could.

Then, when the shoe dropped and the window stopped closing, i decided that even though i paid a premium for a C Mag right before the ban, then sold it later just because it was simultaneously worth so much yet so fragile and useless, i let it go, that i needed a dedicated “eff you, Becerra, suck on this” magazine, and ordered a pmag drum. From botach, of all clip joints. Oh, well, it shipped today.

So now in that few hours before the window closes, i find myself wondering if i should/should have ordered some AR mags just so i have spares?

Young guys: forever is a long long time. Mags get dropped, stepped on, run over. Lost. Or worse yet, pampered and babied and eventually left in the safe.

Buy everything you need, will need, and then some.

Because right now, you can! Go forth gents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by el chivo View Post
I don't need to think at all..
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsig View Post
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfern View Post
Didn't realize. I try not to be political.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 04-05-2019, 1:48 PM

too many normal mags and not enough d60s.
Old 04-05-2019, 1:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadelgrad87 View Post

Its an introspection for people younger than me while there is still time to buy MORE.

Im old as eff. I was fortunate enough to have had money and a wife that understood my position in the 1990s.

Consequently, when the first rumblings of statewide bans kicked in, i bought some stuff. Then, i bought mags for stuff i didnt even own. I bought 10 mags for every platform i thought i was likely to buy. So my AR mags sre old school aluminum 30 rounders. I baby them, and have a few Orlites for banging around.

When this very fortunate event happened, my first reaction was “GLOCK 19 and 33 rounders!!!” because i carry that one, and my old as eff 15 rounders are gen 1 non drop free mags, requiring an extra reload step.

Had to catch as catch can, ordering what i could find where i could get it, but i got 5 15s and 10 33s, but i split those with a buddy.

Then i thought, wait, that 10/22 that i tricked out could always use some non 10 rounders, couldnt it?

It could.

Then, when the shoe dropped and the window stopped closing, i decided that even though i paid a premium for a C Mag right before the ban, then sold it later just because it was simultaneously worth so much yet so fragile and useless, i let it go, that i needed a dedicated “eff you, Becerra, suck on this” magazine, and ordered a pmag drum. From botach, of all clip joints. Oh, well, it shipped today.

So now in that few hours before the window closes, i find myself wondering if i should/should have ordered some AR mags just so i have spares?

Young guys: forever is a long long time. Mags get dropped, stepped on, run over. Lost. Or worse yet, pampered and babied and eventually left in the safe.

Short answer, No!
Longer answer, No!

Thank you for your post, story, and perspective.

I definitely bought more than I "need" (whatever that means), but I just wanted to support the movement and vote with my wallet.
Million Mag March FTW!
Old 04-05-2019, 2:00 PM
Veteran Member

No...."a few" is fine.

I'm an expert shooter, so anything that holds more than 1 round is superfluous as it is...well, OK, 2 rounds, just in case there are multiple attackers

After shooting any standard cap mags "a little" to verify function....and gloat in Becerra's face.... I'll likely still shoot my 10-rd. mags at the range. Ten rounds through the same hole gets boring as it is....17 just makes the hole even bigger and the final 6 touch nothing but air

Unless there's basically a war/invasion/major civil unrest, not much will change for me....mine is just for home defense.

https://www.activejunky.com/invite/238017

—“Who, that fuggin’ nobody?

—“That fuggin’ nobody........was John Wick!
Old 04-05-2019, 2:01 PM

Nope. I only needed to buy a couple for my newest handgun.
Old 04-05-2019, 2:05 PM
Veteran Member

10 round .458 SOCOM magazines.

https://www.calegalmags.com/458-SOCO...GI_p_1396.html

"It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority." - Benjamin Franklin

Quote:
"Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack." -Stanze
Old 04-05-2019, 2:07 PM
Calguns Addict

I only really needed a few too, Already discovered an issue. Was Appendix carrying today with my new Standard Carry Mag and had two random women hitting on me.

Couldn't figure out why until I realized I was printing big time.

30 Rounders might have been a mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epilepticninja View Post
Americans vs. Democrats
We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.
Old 04-05-2019, 2:09 PM
It smells in here...
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Im old as eff.
You ain't that old...
Perhaps the irony of § 32310 escapes notice....With Colonists still hurting from the wounds of war, the Second Amendment guaranteed the rights of new American citizens to protect themselves from oppressors foreign and domestic. So, now it is ironic that the State whittles away at the right of its citizens to defend themselves from the possible oppression of their State. - Judge Roger T. Benitez
Old 04-05-2019, 2:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erion929 View Post
No...."a few" is fine.

Unless there's basically a war/invasion/major civil unrest, not much will change for me....mine is just for home defense.

But what about the zombies?
Old 04-05-2019, 2:16 PM
Pitbull Apologist
CGN Contributor

You wait until 2 hrs left before deadline to give us the ol' Zig Ziglar speach?

4/7
Old 04-05-2019, 2:18 PM
Village idiot
CGN Contributor

I remember walking into Tradersports in San Leandro before the 10 round ban was about to be instituted and saw $60 for standard capacity magazines. $60 was $$$$ at that time.
So I left and said "nah, I don't need those"
For years I regretted not having stocked up when I had the chance. Back then the internet didn't allow us to mobilize as quickly and certainly didn't give the buyer the leverage we have now.

I am not going to make that same mistake twice. I certainly bought more than I would ever need, and like many here bought magazines for firearms I don't even own.
Old 04-05-2019, 2:21 PM

As someone who has lived elsewhere and tasted what it is like without restrictions I encouraged my sons and friends that they should take advantage of the situation and buy as much as they could because in this case more IS better at a time like this.
Old 04-05-2019, 2:40 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:

It could.

First off, I don't think you qualify as an old fart, because then I am within a year or two of that, so let's say experienced enthusiast.

Second, I felt some little twinges considering how much freedom I bought, given that I really don't expect zombies showing up; Russians and Cubans parachuting down; nor a new civil war.

But I also took your earlier point that this is likely a last time buying opportunity unless a 50 year trend in gun control is truly being turned around.

I treated the BBAW ban in a similar, reckless manner and bought examples from all the major platforms I thought I would have a remote interest in (and relying on the working of the statue that once RAWs, I could take the BB off, time for another lawsuit for that wonderful judge).

So, I purchased a minimum number of SCMs for each platform. I went heavy on some of the rifle platforms, but things can happen so...

I will keep a couple examples of SCMs available for normal usage but will keep 10 rounders for regular practice, which will help with drilling on reloads.

For my critical home defense weapons, the SCMs will be ready to go. The rest will go into storage or at least a long cycle of rotation in the batting order.

With one or two exceptions, I purchased just the standard capacity for each platform. I did buy one little extravagance, for our CA AG , ylf, a 50 round drum for my PTR91
Old 04-05-2019, 2:44 PM
Banned

Nope, no need made any sense for SCM's for me. Saved the money and bought a couple things i don't have to be nervous about using in public and i am proud to own...a new Honda lawn mower and Stihl BR800 backpack blower.
Old 04-05-2019, 2:49 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Heres how goofy my problem is: when i got into ARs, the option was 20 or 30. I bought 30s, and a decent supply, and have used them ever since. Again, your options were USGI, Orlite, or generic crapazines.

When the ban kicked in, i didnt even buy 10 rounders for range use.

I started another thread because i know nothing about present production ar mags.
Quote:
Quote:
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 04-05-2019, 2:50 PM

It’s for the children.. lol
Old 04-05-2019, 3:02 PM

Now that its over....

I wish I bought more....
Old 04-05-2019, 3:05 PM
(aka Hogswild)
CGN Contributor

Thanks for the pep talk Citadelgrad, D-50 and D-60 en route and now looking for some 10/22 mags as I forgot about those
Old 04-05-2019, 3:07 PM
@ the Dark End of the Bar
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

There were a few that I needed to fill in some gaps, and I picked up a D-50 just because, you know, F California haha!!

It was fun while it lasted...hopefully this will be just a temporary thing. Two weeks or so from what I’ve read, haha!!

Good luck to those still scrambling to get in before 5pm!! Buy a few more than you think you’ll need!!
Old 04-05-2019, 3:11 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by creampuff View Post
I remember walking into Tradersports in San Leandro before the 10 round ban was about to be instituted and saw $60 for standard capacity magazines. $60 was $$$$ at that time.
So I left and said "nah, I don't need those"
For years I regretted not having stocked up when I had the chance. Back then the internet didn't allow us to mobilize as quickly and certainly didn't give the buyer the leverage we have now.

I am not going to make that same mistake twice. I certainly bought more than I would ever need, and like many here bought magazines for firearms I don't even own.

That was a great place long ago.

OP buy buy buy now.
Old 04-05-2019, 3:18 PM
Hold my beer & watch this
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip_Dog View Post
Now that its over....

I wish I bought more....
It's not over, Brownell's is accepting back orders.
Old 04-05-2019, 3:19 PM

Default Anyone else already second guessing decisions?

Probably once in a lifetime chance to get this so no second guessing on my end. Arrived today. Spent what I thought was enough and definitely didn’t go overboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by hyperpm; 04-05-2019 at 3:33 PM..
Old 04-05-2019, 3:20 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip_Dog View Post
Now that its over....

I wish I bought more....
NOTHING IS OVER!

RAMBO.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 04-05-2019, 3:21 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntingsocal View Post
Thanks for the pep talk Citadelgrad, D-50 and D-60 en route and now looking for some 10/22 mags as I forgot about those
Those were my later purchases as well.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 04-05-2019, 3:21 PM

Everyday for the last week, I come home thinking - I should probably buy some more ...

Now my back account is on fumes and my credit cards are smoking, but I have a freedom package arriving everyday for the next week
Old 04-05-2019, 3:26 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

It could.

You just caused a big spend..... I thought I was happy and content with most of what I already had and some new additions. Then I read this^. Then I saw the Botach D60, then I saw Brownells will honor back order purchased before 1700..... man, that was a blow.

Now I have a knot in my stomach because I don't like to spend that kind of money all willienillie, but, I had you on my other shoulder saying, "is this the last time it will be legal in California in your lifetime?"

Ugh.... Well. As much as it hurts, I also feel a ball of excitement to pick up a few things that I really didn't need, but may never have a chance to score in California again.

While I am in the infancy stages of my quest, it actually felt really good to finally start taking action.
Old 04-05-2019, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorDan View Post
Everyday for the last week, I come home thinking - I should probably buy some more ...

Now my back account is on fumes and my credit cards are smoking, but I have a freedom package arriving everyday for the next week
LOL!!!!
Old 04-05-2019, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorDan View Post

when **** hits the fan, the money wont matter anyway

San Diego, CA.

Member: NRA, CRPA, SD County Gun Owners
Old 04-05-2019, 3:32 PM
(aka Hogswild)
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Those were my later purchases as well.
yeah genuine thank you for the 10/22 reminder, found them at Buds
Old 04-05-2019, 3:36 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

This is sound advice for non-Californians as well.

I live in Virginia. It's a free state (for now).

But after the 2019 state elections, who knows.

And, being in the 4th Circuit, where the Appellate Court already said it was constitutional ban standard capacity magazines, there is no hope for a Benitez miracle.

Last edited by LonghornBob; 04-05-2019 at 3:41 PM..
Old 04-05-2019, 3:36 PM

I for one am relieved the window is closing. My wallet just couldn't take anymore. I've placed orders every day for the last week. Started with mags I could use now and then went for mags for guns I wanted then started buying mags for guns I might want.

Haven't added up what I spent. Haven't checked on what's shipped or not. Just letting the cards fall where they may. One hellava week. I'm spent.
Old 04-05-2019, 3:42 PM

Not sure why you didn't rebuild your gen 1 glock mags with drop free bodies when rebuild kits were legal.
Old 04-05-2019, 3:49 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

The bottom line it this C87, I was fine before this whole thing. I was s little less sure of a few legality things, but in terms of gear, I was fine. Nothing that happened in the last week changed my ability to fight of a threat one way or the other in all reality.

Buy made in USA whenever possible.
Old 04-05-2019, 3:49 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsloth View Post
Not sure why you didn't rebuild your gen 1 glock mags with drop free bodies when rebuild kits were legal.
I didnt have a g 19 until last year. I had no idea there were generations of glock mags, because there werent when i bought them in the 1990s.

By the time i realized the issue, rebuild kits were verboten.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 04-05-2019, 4:13 PM

Quote:

It could.

You convinced me. I made a last minute purchase from Lanbo. I think I beat the deadline by like 2 minutes or something
Old 04-05-2019, 4:21 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ez454 View Post
I for one am relieved the window is closing. My wallet just couldn't take anymore. I've placed orders every day for the last week. Started with mags I could use now and then went for mags for guns I wanted then started buying mags for guns I might want.

Haven't added up what I spent. Haven't checked on what's shipped or not. Just letting the cards fall where they may. One hellava week. I'm spent.
Same here.

I said time after time "This is my last purchase." I had yesterday and today off which made it worse.

At 4:56 this afternoon I was trying to make another purchase and my CC was declined. (Fraud alert - I am surprised it took them this long!) Figured okay I'll save the money, but I pulled out another card and the transaction cleared before 5pm and I received my formal confirmation at 5:05.

I don't really want to know exactly how much I spent this week, but like you said it has been fun!

I am going to go through and figure out how many orders I made first, then tally what I ordered.... and wait till some later date to tally the dollars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maulerrr View Post
Mag-Ima-gettin
3/29 - 4/05
"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Mal Reynolds

NRA - Endowment Member
CRPA - Life Member
Old 04-05-2019, 4:27 PM

Well, I'll admit that I already blew my pay check then some!! But that's a small price to pay for a sense of freedom I haven't had since 90's, small price to pay therefore no regrets.
Old 04-05-2019, 4:30 PM
Veteran Member

If the thought, "I may buy one some day," ever crossed your mind, now was the time to buy. Knowing how the judicial system in Commiefornia works, this will likely have been your one and only chance. I now have to buy a gun to fit some new mags, what a terrible position to be in
Old 04-05-2019, 4:30 PM

Quote:
I didnt have a g 19 until last year. I had no idea there were generations of glock mags, because there werent when i bought them in the 1990s.

By the time i realized the issue, rebuild kits were verboten.
Ah makes sense. It might be for the better. You can probably fetch a pretty penny for those gen 1 mags by selling then to pre-ban states. Hopefully you stocked up on current gen g19 mags.
Old 04-05-2019, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsloth View Post
Ah makes sense. It might be for the better. You can probably fetch a pretty penny for those gen 1 mags by selling then to pre-ban states. Hopefully you stocked up on current gen g19 mags.
Why would people pay more for a gen 1 glock 19 mag?