Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Non-California Permits/Licenses
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Non-California Permits/Licenses For out of State License/Permit discussion

Old 05-14-2017, 4:51 AM

Default Mexico permit

Yes, Mexico, no New Mexico.
I'm thinking about moving to Tijuana due to insane housing prices in San Diego.
I heard that a Mexico resident can have a 7.62 handgun (must be less than 9 mm) in his house for self defence. Did any of you go through the process of obtaining all the paperwork and can share some info? I'm interested to import one from USA.
Thanks
Old 05-14-2017, 8:27 AM
CGN Contributor

Mexico gun laws are very strict. Only citizens and permanent residents may get a permit to keep a firearm at home, Article 10 of the Mexican constitution.
In order to transport outside your home you must belong to a gun club/range that will process the permit for you to transport to the range or a match and back home.

All privately owned firearms are required to be registered with the Mexican Army. Handguns are restricted to .38 caliber or smaller, 38 super is very popular in Mexico, no rifles larger than .30 caliber, no shotguns over 12g or shorter than 25". There are other caliber restrictions relating to weapons of war any caliber currently used by the military is prohibited which includes 9mm, 45acp, 5.56 as examples.

Temporary importing of sporting arms for hunting or competition is relatively easy if you go thru a Mexican outfitter or gun club otherwise very difficult. I doubt importing a firearm without being a citizen or having permanent residence status would be possible.

Private party firearm sales are legal in Mexico but the buyer must apply for and be granted a permit before the sale can take place and the firearm must be registered at a local Army installation. Again you must be a Mexican citizen or have permanent resident status to apply for the permit.

The other problem is what happens if you actually have to use it. I would not want to on the wrong side of the Mexican justice system
Old 05-14-2017, 1:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

All of that yet Mexico has a huge gun (drug) problem. Shows you how well thats working for them.
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love. -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

NRA Lifetime Member : CalGuns Lifetime Member : GOA Lifetime Member

Old 05-14-2017, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by autopro View Post
Mexico gun laws are very strict. Only citizens and permanent residents may get a permit to keep a firearm at home, Article 10 of the Mexican constitution.
In order to transport outside your home you must belong to a gun club/range that will process the permit for you to transport to the range or a match and back home.

All privately owned firearms are required to be registered with the Mexican Army. Handguns are restricted to .38 caliber or smaller, 38 super is very popular in Mexico, no rifles larger than .30 caliber, no shotguns over 12g or shorter than 25". There are other caliber restrictions relating to weapons of war any caliber currently used by the military is prohibited which includes 9mm, 45acp, 5.56 as examples.

Temporary importing of sporting arms for hunting or competition is relatively easy if you go thru a Mexican outfitter or gun club otherwise very difficult. I doubt importing a firearm without being a citizen or having permanent residence status would be possible.

Private party firearm sales are legal in Mexico but the buyer must apply for and be granted a permit before the sale can take place and the firearm must be registered at a local Army installation. Again you must be a Mexican citizen or have permanent resident status to apply for the permit.

The other problem is what happens if you actually have to use it. I would not want to on the wrong side of the Mexican justice system
Bla, bla, bla.
The above means nothing if you join a cartel.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."

"No freeman shall be debarred the use of arms"
-- Thomas Jefferson
Old 05-14-2017, 6:54 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

I predict you'll figure out in short order why housing prices are exponentially higher in San Diego than Tijuana.

Buy made in USA whenever possible.