Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 06-02-2017, 8:56 PM

My first duty weapon was a Berreta 96 Brigadeer DAO in .40 caliber. It was known as the "Italian Tomahawk": if the gun broke (which it did often) you could beat someone to death with it because it as heavy as h@ll with that heavy slide. I carried a Sig 229 DAO for awhile until I switched agencies. My next duty weapon was a Glock 19, and except for a really bad detour by my agency, I still carry a 19/26 today.

The 1911 is one fine gun, but the Glock is just stupid easy to shoot and reliable. I will carry both the 19 and 26 till retirement in a few years.
Old 06-10-2017, 2:38 PM

I have used both on duty. During the training for both, I never saw a Glock so much as hiccup. 1911's were a much different story. Many, many failures initially. With that said, as the school went on, the failures seemed to go away as the guns were broken in. Since that time, three years ago, I have never had any type of malfunction and I am required to qualify every month.

For patrol use in this age of MAC-TAC, a Glock, IMHO, is a much better gun. There are more out there in my Dept so getting a spare mag during a prolonged exchange is more probable than trying to find a guy with a 1911 to help out.

If you are not a prolific shooter, the thumb safety on the 1911 may trip you up. Under stress, one needs to remember to drop it down if you already do not carry it that way.

As far as maintenance, and you would be a FOOL not to maintain your equipment. The 1911 breaks down into 11 components. The firing pin, and extractor must be removed from the upper in order to properly clean and service. These are not needed on the Glock. Pro or con is for you to decide. The Glock has 5 pieces.

In summary, the 1911 is like a high maintenance girlfriend. Looks good but needs a lot of attention. If you never clean your Glock, when you pull it out, it will go bang.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-17-2017, 3:13 PM

Started off carrying an issued Glock 22 and Sig P226.

As time went on I wanted something different so I went to the 1911....first a Springfield Loaded Operator then a Wilson Combat Tactical LE. After a few thousand rounds and hours of training I was accustomed to actuating the safety under stress. I was a lot more accurate and quicker with the 1911's than I was with the Glock or Sig. I carried Wilson 8 round ETM mags - 5 on th belt and 1 in the gun.

After getting tired of constantly reloading after 8 rounds I went to an STI 2011 in 9mm which is what I carry now.

As long as you can shoot it well and it's a reliable gun, carry whatever your heart desires.
Old 08-17-2017, 6:20 PM

Default 1911 Duty GUN

I carried a 1911 40 years ago, as a pilot- agent on the border. I had a shoulder rig for flying and it worked great.